• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Monster Master RPG II: The 13th Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
playing with other people effectively has no incentives, if you can't even breed monsters with them.

I agree that this will bring no real reason to play with other players. It will also make getting last tier monsters harder because they have to get fl on 2 of their own monsters instead of working with others to make monster. One thing that would benefit from playing with others is making the areas easier.

A string-based save/load can do up to 115 chars including using -save and -load so the max is 120 however if people really enjoyed your game. You can separate it into two save/load's which would be one for your monsters and char and the other for backpack and bonus's or whatever. I hope that is how it works because I am not sure about the in-game chat aside from lobby/channel chat.

Since you said there is a lot of information then a codeless save/load is the wrong approach because your gamers will be sitting there for like 5-10 minutes. Though if it was a epic map, I would sacrifice my time to wait. Sadly that is me and not everyone else though.

Again, good luck. Let me know if you need any help. I am a GUI'er so you'd be able to read my code quite nicely unless your a pure JASS'er. I do understand the other syntax's and JASS however GUI is just what I like. =)

By the way, you shouldn't care for cheaters because if they want to cheat then let them. I know that is really lame however we don't have much access to anything past what I have said and the server approach is quite far away still I would presume. Though don't forget, make it really hard for cheaters to cheat.
Removing breeding is a bad idea because that is one of the fun parts.

Here's an idea, don't let them copy the code down from game screen and when they save it then write it to .txt file so they might accidently overwrite it therefore making a counter to some people cheating. Though that method sucks if you wanted multiple monsters/chars. Not to mention non-lazy people already likely know the counter so you could only trick them once. Just trying to help =)

Level 15
Will killing monsters that multiple players were around/participated in still drop unbound items? And do you plan to make bounty gold a multi-person reward system, based on how many players are around at the time? Without these two things, playing with other people effectively has no incentives, if you can't even breed monsters with them.

I agree that this will bring no real reason to play with other players. It will also make getting last tier monsters harder because they have to get fl on 2 of their own monsters instead of working with others to make monster. One thing that would benefit from playing with others is making the areas easier.

@Deathly_God and smasher5541

The item system is much different from MMRPG I. Monsters themselves never drop items. Items are obtained from completing dungeons, quests, or defeating bosses. Some items can also be purchased.

There will be no bounty system from killing monsters. Gold is obtained in the same manner as items, and it will take time to accumulate a large amount.

Monster spawns in the wild do scale with number of players. This means traveling in a large party will increase the number of monster encounters which means more experience for training monsters. And, as smasher5541 points out, there is safety in numbers. Additionally, players will be able to work together against most bosses. That being said, bosses will scale with number of players, however.

As I have it imagined, players will not be able to breed with each other, share/trade items, or share/trade gold. I will definitely consider ways I can make it so there is some level of interaction in these areas, but I do not want to repeat the problems with MMRPG I.

@Dat-C3

Yes I imagined in the worst case scenario providing the player with N strings, each length M, where M is the maximum number of characters that can be copied+pasted into WC3.

At save time, the player would be presented with N strings sequentially, and then, painstakingly, have to copy these down. At load time, the player would need then to repeat the sequence of N strings in the same order as given, copying and pasting each one from some text file, one at a time. This would work but it would be very annoying to load and save. A possible solution I have considered.

I expect most sessions of MMRPG II to last at least an hour, so what is 5-10 minutes of loading? Time to go the bathroom, get a snack, or write a few emails.

I am a pure JASS'er as you put it. But its the idea and algorithms that matter to me, not the language they are written in.

That is a philosophy I am learning to accept about cheating. Before I began this project, I reverse engineered MMRPG's code system in Python in 2 days without knowing any JASS. With that I could generate any valid code. I am not a programmer, and not a WC3 mapper yet. So yes, if anyone is determined enough, they can break any map's save systems if they so desire.

When I begin addressing the save/load system I'll be sure to come to you if I've got problems or questions. Thank you again for input and knowledge!

Level 1
Seth, I just wanted to let you know I'm eagerly awaiting a version to play.

I've always enjoyed games of the type, and the original version of the map was super fun to play.

I hope you don't give up and it becomes exactly how you envision it.

Good luck with everything on your plate =)

Level 15
Update + Alpha release

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the long time between updates!

I've been working around the clock on the project again (started back up a week ago or so), and so you should expect an Alpha release soon, perhaps by the end of the month!

When I come closer to doing this, I will update the OP with information about it. I know many of you have contacted me months ago asking to help test--I will write back to everyone once the Alpha testing begins.

In other news, I've begun to hack away at the abilities (half of the auras done), which will then be followed by the items, and then finally the first few quests.

Level 4
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the long time between updates!

I've been working around the clock on the project again (started back up a week ago or so), and so you should expect an Alpha release soon, perhaps by the end of the month!

When I come closer to doing this, I will update the OP with information about it. I know many of you have contacted me months ago asking to help test--I will write back to everyone once the Alpha testing begins.

In other news, I've begun to hack away at the abilities (half of the auras done), which will then be followed by the items, and then finally the first few quests.
WOOT!!!! and just in time for summer, so i am guessing we can expect alpha to be in full swing mid-late June/early July

Level 3
I know how you feel hopop, I've been checking in here like everyday xD Part of me wants him to take it slow and make something super high quality, but then again I also just want to play it lol! Either way, so much excitement! Trying not to over-hype it though, Alphas are generally just the rough idea for the game :)

Level 1
Looks good!

I used to play Monster Master before my laptop crashed and lost my save (it sucks!!) When I was playing it it felt like I got sucked into the game play and the versatility of the monsters and the monster master himself. I am really looking forward for the alpha release whenever it comes out. Count me in to be playing it and posting bugs. Just keep going and keep the motivation!

Level 2
I've been checking this thread every other day, and I'm pretty hype for the alpha at this point. Don't rush it, though!

Level 3
I'm sorry, but I also noticed the max level was 99. I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem, but if I got to level 99, I'd be going crazy, wanting to just get one more level. I think a lvl 100 cap might be the best, but that's more my OCD-side coming out :)

Level 4
I'm sorry, but I also noticed the max level was 99. I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem, but if I got to level 99, I'd be going crazy, wanting to just get one more level. I think a lvl 100 cap might be the best, but that's more my OCD-side coming out :)

yea, same here, and do the same for fl

Level 2
Ha ha my thoughts exactly! I couldn't have been the only one :) It would be like Pokemon stopping at 99. I'd go insane xD

Well, the reasoning would be that the DQM games capped out at 99. Though I could see how annoying it could be if it capped out at 99 here.

Level 15
Updates (finally!)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the continued interest in the project. I check this thread every day and it's always exciting to see new posts. I'll address some of your questions now and then explain where I am with the map.

@hopop201
WOOT!!!! and just in time for summer, so i am guessing we can expect alpha to be in full swing mid-late June/early July

Yes I am hoping that an alpha can be released at the end of the next week. A bit optimistic, but I want to give everyone something, as I am in need of lots of feedback and criticism.

@Deathly God

The reason for the max level being 99 is, just as Noxx- says

Well, the reasoning would be that the DQM games capped out at 99.

It won't matter for a long time because the alpha or even beta won't be at a point where reaching such high level will be possible yet (since the map would be playable for only so many hours). But I will consider changing it to 100, if it really bugs everyone.

@Dat-C3
You could keep the cap and add a extra set of levels as an alternate system like shadow levels or something for example or advanced achievements with a custom EXP system.

This is sort of how Fusion Levels functioned as in MMRPG I.

Now, for some updates and what I've been doing:

1. I re-organized all the vJASS and Lua code into an online respository (like GitHub). While this isn't a gameplay or map feature, what it will mean is that not only will updating the code or fixing bugs be much quicker (and therefore releasing new versions), but if I find any additional project members, it will be very easy to collaborate.

2. I made a library of 94 hero abilities, each having 6 levels. This is all done in Lua, so it's all portable. None of these include triggered or special abilities or ultimates, so once those are *eventually* done, there will be almost 200 or so abilities.

3. I made a library of item abilities (very similar to 2) and also have begun to make some of the items like meat, healing potions, but also equipment for monsters too. Right now the item system is looking sort of like a Diablo style. I haven't determined how players will get better items in the alpha as I haven't done the dungeon system/code.

So what needs to be done before the alpha can begin?

I need to:

-make several quests / quest items

-make a few towns/dungeons

-create an event API

-create a boss API

What you should expect the alpha to be is an incomplete version of the first world in the game, along with the first few quests, and an introduction to the gameplay/mechanics/flow/style.

There will not be any breeding/fusion yet (though all 145 monsters will still be present in the code) nor saving/loading (I might do a basic code save later into the alpha).

I will post some screenshots soon as well, and begin updating the OP!

Level 2
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the continued interest in the project. I check this thread every day and it's always exciting to see new posts. I'll address some of your questions now and then explain where I am with the map.

@hopop201

Yes I am hoping that an alpha can be released at the end of the next week. A bit optimistic, but I want to give everyone something, as I am in need of lots of feedback and criticism.

@Deathly God

The reason for the max level being 99 is, just as Noxx- says

It won't matter for a long time because the alpha or even beta won't be at a point where reaching such high level will be possible yet (since the map would be playable for only so many hours). But I will consider changing it to 100, if it really bugs everyone.

@Dat-C3

This is sort of how Fusion Levels functioned as in MMRPG I.

Now, for some updates and what I've been doing:

1. I re-organized all the vJASS and Lua code into an online respository (like GitHub). While this isn't a gameplay or map feature, what it will mean is that not only will updating the code or fixing bugs be much quicker (and therefore releasing new versions), but if I find any additional project members, it will be very easy to collaborate.

2. I made a library of 94 hero abilities, each having 6 levels. This is all done in Lua, so it's all portable. None of these include triggered or special abilities or ultimates, so once those are *eventually* done, there will be almost 200 or so abilities.

3. I made a library of item abilities (very similar to 2) and also have begun to make some of the items like meat, healing potions, but also equipment for monsters too. Right now the item system is looking sort of like a Diablo style. I haven't determined how players will get better items in the alpha as I haven't done the dungeon system/code.

So what needs to be done before the alpha can begin?

I need to:

-make several quests / quest items

-make a few towns/dungeons

-create an event API

-create a boss API

What you should expect the alpha to be is an incomplete version of the first world in the game, along with the first few quests, and an introduction to the gameplay/mechanics/flow/style.

There will not be any breeding/fusion yet (though all 145 monsters will still be present in the code) nor saving/loading (I might do a basic code save later into the alpha).

I will post some screenshots soon as well, and begin updating the OP!

A small alpha is enough; what most people are looking to see is progress, and this shows that you're definitely working on it. Hopefully it's enough to entertain until the next update!

Level 3
That sounds great! In reference to DQM, I've noticed the newer ones all cap at 100, just food for thought. Honestly I dont think anyone is expecting a super version with 920 hours of game-play involved. Really my main concern is the "mid-game bump." Wherein, most maps end up being abandoned or indefinitely delayed. It's like the game graveyard. In the Alpha itself, I dont think a boss is really mandatory, I know in the first like 30 versions of MM RPG 1, there was no boss. It would be a nice touch, but if that's what ends up delaying the whole thing then it's not the biggest deal to dump that for a future update.
On a side-note, will bosses have a story-line/will the different bosses tie in to each other?

Level 4
@sethmachine
Right now it looks like you are currently in a pre-alpha stage. You really don't need bosses or events for the first alpha release. But I will as long as I have to for alpha to be released. Also, I agree with waiting to a few releases in to decide to keep the lvl cap at 99 or bump it to 100. Another idea, in MMRPGI any monster that had 30+ fl and was at lvl 30 would get ultimate(lvl4) abilities. I think you should maybe do the same thing but with stages. For example: a monster has the Stomp ability, lvl1 Stomp at lvl2 monster, lvl2 Stomp at lvl6 monster, lvl3 Stomp at lvl15 monster, lvl4 Stomp at lvl25 & fl20 monster etc. So all monsters should be able to get lvl3 of their abilities just through leveling up. Just an interesting suggestion.

Level 1
i was maybe wondering if you could make it so that we could load our previous char from MM rpg I... coz my buddies and I are really into this game and have spent a lot of time grinding... thnx :D

Level 1
scratch my previous comment.. I read through everything and i'm just hoping it will come out soon :D thnx :D

Level 4
scratch my previous comment.. I read through everything and i'm just hoping it will come out soon :D thnx :D

lol, i was gonna say read the whole thread, but i guess i won't have to. Yea, this is going to end up a lot more developed and polished compared to the first. And if we want we can always go back to MMRPGI with our OP lvl30 fl60 ???? monsters. :p

Level 3
lol, i was gonna say read the whole thread, but i guess i won't have to. Yea, this is going to end up a lot more developed and polished compared to the first. And if we want we can always go back to MMRPGI with our OP lvl30 fl60 ???? monsters. :p

Or we could go back with our promotional random tier 5 monster codes and 1 monster the entire game :p Or die trying!

Level 15
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your patience and continued interest in MMRPG II. I am very anxious for releasing it too, but things will be end up being delayed a bit longer.

The motherboard of the Windows PC I run WC3 in has been fried (neglect on my part) and my other Windows machine is also in repair (a hard drive problem).

I'm using my mac to write this. It can actually run WC3 Frozen Throne (via Wine) but it's not a gaming computer, and I haven't been able to make the World Editor work with it.

However, because I've made all the code (vJass and custom objects) portable, I have been continuing to work on the map, although only systems which don't require referencing the world editor.

As for the good news: I'm going to continue polishing and adding code to what I can. Tomorrow I'm heading to the repair shop and will hopefully get a working windows machine by the end of the week.

Some things about what to expect when the alpha is released:

1. The terrain will be ugly and boring. I am no fool to call myself a terrainer, but my hope is that a terrainer will join the project once people try the alpha out.

2. There might be game breaking errors--I wouldn't be shocked if I had to roll out a quick fix immediately after releasing the alpha.

3. There won't be any breeding or saving.

4. There won't be any PvP. I might add a command to allow players to unally each other just to fool around.

5. There will be a handful of quests, with 1-2 "bosses."

6. The story line / plot won't be complete.

7. There will be a modestly sized over world to explore, with wild monsters.

8. There will be about 10 monster species in the first world (excluding bosses).

Note that these are features that will be present in the actual game (beta or whatever), but are absent now.

Now to address everyone's excitement, comments, and questions:

@Deathly God

I intended to actually have a level "0" (like in Starcraft 2), which would still means 100 levels if capped at 99. Since WC3 starts counting levels at "1," however, that would only mean 99 levels. Still I do want to pay homage to Dragon Warrior Monsters and stick with 99, but it won't really matter for awhile.

This is good to know about robbepop's first versions of MMRPG I. I shall not feel so lacking when the alpha is finally released.

As for bosses, the majority of them will be scripted unlike MMRPG II, where they were just really overpowered units that had high DPS.

Most of the bosses will tie into the main story or at least a side quest. I have two bosses sketched out for the first world, but I'd rather not mention the details. I am very excited about the big boss too, though as you've said it would be wise not to wait until I am done with that. So they won't be in the first released alpha.

Lastly, I will also bring back another awesome thing from Dragon Warrior Monsters. In that game, some of the bosses would actually join the player after being defeated. And a rare few of them might be tempted to join if fed a lot of meat. So yes, there will be a few bosses which might offer to join you if you defeat them. Most will not be recruitable (even with meat), but some will. Naturally most of the recruitable bosses will be in the early part of the game (before the bosses have 'unnatural stats'). There will be at least one recruitable boss in the alpha release.

@hopop201

I think you are right and I will not worry too much on finishing the boss API, but there will be a half baked event API (started writing it up a week ago).

Pre-alpha/alpha/prototype/gamma/delta/whatever you want to call it--it's not a beta certainly.

So the way the ability system works currently is that all skills have 6 levels. There is no fusion level requirements (I have not put in FLs yet because there's no breeding system yet). A monster learns a new ability or levels up an already learned one when it reaches the required intelligence and hero level.

As for ultimate abilities, there will actually be ultimate abilities. I think I outlined my idea in the first page or so. But basically a monster can acquire an ultimate ability like a recipe--if they know the other required abilities, they will learn the ultimate ability automatically.

This works nicely, because it uses up all the slots on the command card like this (letters are hotkeys as well):

Above row: [T] [Y]
Bottom row: [Q] [W] [E] [R]

[Q] is the attack ability all monsters get. [W], [E], and [R] are the three abilities each monster learns due to its species. [T] and [Y] are each abilities inherited from the mother/father (one from each). And is the slot for an ultimate ability the monster can learn. It just so happens also is the first letter for "ultimate."

I made 94 abilities, but no ultimates yet as there's no breeding system, yet.

@aris87

Yes everyone has told you correctly about how old codes will not work or be compatible with the new map.

Or we could go back with our promotional random tier 5 monster codes and 1 monster the entire game :p Or die trying!

I have not forgotten this at all. I am still debating how those will be given out. I was thinking to save the hand out for the beta, which is far off. I also was thinking of giving them out to the alpha testers, but then they might go to show off their 0 fusion level tier 5 monster haha (which is otherwise impossible to get), and not get to the testing part of the alpha.

Level 4
i am sad about the delay but still, HYPE!!!
Also sorry i forgot about the ultimate ability thing, and what i was wondering in my last post was how ability leveling was going to work.

Level 3
Honestly, set backs are to be expected. The fact that I check this forum every day is a testament to the hype. Can't wait to see the early alpha! Have you decided how you're going to roll it out? Are you going to get a private bot to DL/host it at a specific time? Or just upload it to something like makemehost.com and have it out there for anyone who wants? (If you go the public route, it takes like a day for it to upload I think, since an admin has to check it off.)

Still though, definitely looking forward to this! Hopefully the computers are back online!

Level 15
Yes unfortunately I'm still waiting on both my Windows machines--I think I won't have WC3 running till end of next week, but I've still been coding and changing stuff on my mac.

I am not sure how it will be released. I will probably use makemehost.com and host each alpha session myself, after which people can host it if they choose. So it might not be completely closed, though the original distributor will be me.

Also I won't need to wait a day to upload it--I'm actually a mapper on makemehost.com and have an account, so I get to upload maps instantly ^^.

Level 4
Well that is great that you are gonna upload to makemehost.com. As soon as you do I will be playing it as much as I can until school starts for me(mid august). If it comes to it I will assign a daily time to host a (new) session for those interested. I will prob also leave my own sessions to join ones started by others(@sethmachine) if I am alone or with a few people. Since it will be alpha I will hopefully have tried everything out before heading back to school, though it will be hard without save codes. Can't wait till you post that it is uploaded.

Level 15
I would like to put in a rudimentary load/save system (code based). I've got all the information neatly available to do a save, I would just need to write the loading system. Perhaps in later alpha releases.

Thanks for offering to help host the sessions.

As for my Windows machine, I'm going in today to get it back, and then ordering a replacement motherboard. When that comes in I'll be operational again and will work to release the alpha ASAP. I am very eager for it as well.

Level 3
Would you prefer us to post problems/bugs/abuses we find here, on this forum? Or email you? Or private message your account? I too will most likely be playing the game on a very regular basis, and probably testing as much of the content as possible. Can't wait!

Level 4
Would you prefer us to post problems/bugs/abuses we find here, on this forum? Or email you? Or private message your account? I too will most likely be playing the game on a very regular basis, and probably testing as much of the content as possible. Can't wait!

I am pretty sure that Robbepop had people just post on thread any bugs but I don't know what sethmachine would prefer. I would think that he would have us do the same cause then what is the reason for the thread then. :)

Level 3
I am pretty sure that Robbepop had people just post on thread any bugs but I don't know what sethmachine would prefer. I would think that he would have us do the same cause then what is the reason for the thread then. :)

That's what I was thinking, but I thought I'd double check. I just want to make sure it's placed somewhere that works best for him.

Level 15
Hi everyone,

Many thanks again for your patience.

I am writing this post from my MacBook Pro, but on Windows 7.

I just finished setting it up via bootcamp and am in the midst of getting the working environment ready.

So I am back in business so to speak in terms of getting back to the map and hopefully soon releasing the alpha.

As for reporting errors, I will not mind where you put them. On the thread here would be good too, since everyone can see.

Level 3
I was wondering Seth, since each monster can be either male or female, for breeding purposes will there be an easily accessible item to make sure they turn out one way or another? Also, I just looked over the main page again, so much hype! :D Keep up the awesome work! I'm eagerly awaiting the release! Also, I noticed your release date is still set for the end of January, 2014. Just a minor thing that you might want to delete or edit.

Level 4
I was wondering Seth, since each monster can be either male or female, for breeding purposes will there be an easily accessible item to make sure they turn out one way or another? Also, I just looked over the main page again, so much hype! :D Keep up the awesome work! I'm eagerly awaiting the release!

Yea, I was thinking the same thing about getting/breeding monsters of the opposite gender then what you have. I always had trouble with that in the DQM games.
Also same thing here about the hype for hopefully end of the month alpha release. I wonder which of us is more hyped @Deathly_God.

Level 3
For now lets just say we are equally hyped for this, and I can't wait to play with you. Do you want to play together some time. I still have one of my codes for the MMRPG1

I'll agree to that! And sure, my username is the same on Wc3 as it is on here. I am on US.East, though I have an account with the same name (for RPG purposes) on US.West!

I think everyone's more than a little excited, I'm trying to keep my expectations low for the alpha/pre-alpha, since obviously it wont be a complete game, and there will be a lot of changes to be made as the process moves along. I hope the code cooperates with you Seth so we can play it sometime soon! :)

Level 4
I'll agree to that! And sure, my username is the same on Wc3 as it is on here. I am on US.East, though I have an account with the same name (for RPG purposes) on US.West!

I think everyone's more than a little excited, I'm trying to keep my expectations low for the alpha/pre-alpha, since obviously it wont be a complete game, and there will be a lot of changes to be made as the process moves along. I hope the code cooperates with you Seth so we can play it sometime soon! :)

I have to agree with you on the low expectations for alpha. While i do expect the final product to be as awesome as it sounds as it will be. I am expecting this first alpha release to be a very dumbed down version of MMRPG1 with some other stuff added.

Also, if anybody else wants to I am free most of the time to play some MMRPG1 or YouTD. Just send me a pm and we can arrange a time.

Level 1
I have had this thread book marked since early January and have checked back almost daily, despite having up until recently taken a hiatus from TFT. I'm feeling pretty hyped.

If any of you are thinking on doing games of MM1 I would love to join you, although I don't know if I have my codes anymore. Same name here as on Battle.net, U.S. East

Level 4
I've also found that Monster Master RPG 0.59s (the original version) has been taken down, so the advertisement for #2 isnt available on Makemehost.com. Just thought people should know.

Um Deathly, you should remove the post because sethmachine added v0.59s back to makemehost.com and we were playing it earlier. It is just listed under MM instead of Monster Master. And judging from our session today we will be playing everyday if we can. If anyone would to join us just pm either me or Deathly God. The hype is very real!!!!

Last edited:
Level 1
So I found my old load. I have three level 30 basic monsters, only one of which has items (accidentally stored the others without taking off their items when I went to hunt for more monsters)

I did most of this solo in LAN a long while back in plans of creating max fl monsters. Level 28 monster master.

Also, I don't think my PMs are being allowed, maybe something due to not having enough posts? I know that's how some forums work that out to prevent spam. Anyways, I would love to join you guys for sessions.

Ohh, by the way, they're level 30 nature, air, and dragon. Then a level 14 water and not sure on my unholy; all tier 1 though.

Level 2
I just caught that update to the OP and my hype level is through the roof. Can't wait for the alpha!

Status
Not open for further replies.