• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Monster Master RPG II: The 13th Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Be vewy, vewy quit, I am hunting for something to talk about on this thread.

Well, we could always talk about the balancing issues. I understand what Seth was going for that each monster has a "niche," however I feel that there still should be at least a subvert tier system, so that while yes some things fill niches, like say, the worm being high damage, it would be akin to the Satyr in MM RPG 1. You can get great monsters that fill niches, like Lucient Owl with it's speed aura, however by fusing up more and more, even though initially you wont have any idea what you're going to make, the reward will be that you get a potentially stronger monster to compensate for your risk to the team comp you put together. It feels wrong to put the strongest monsters in the beginning, because then there's no need to change your party. Things can still fill in niches for your teams, but the fact that there could be better monsters who fill similar niches would keep the game from getting very static. Just my thoughts on this :)

Level 4
@Deathly_God that is a very good point. As it should be the strongest monsters should probably be the hardest to get not the easiest. Also though I do like all the DWM2 references I would like the map to be more like the original. But how is mostly up to Sethmachine.

Level 2
We'll probably see an update in the coming winter break; if not, summer. Either way, I've had my eye on this project and will continue to.

Level 15
Hi everyone!

It's been awhile and thank you all for your incredible patience. Things have been quite busy since I started my first real job in January, and so I haven't even had the time to respond to people on the thread.

That being said, I very much want to continue map development. However, given my current life schedule, it would take a lot more time for updates and new features.

I am heavily considering releasing the entire project source, and hopefully this can draw in additional developers.

Once I finish setting that up, I'll update the main thread and post a link to the source repository. I am not giving the project away, only trying to get would-be developers into it.

Level 2
It's good news to hear that this is still in development, eagerly waiting for the next update.

Level 3
While i'm watching the first picture i see:yu-gi-oh,pokemon,naruto and dragon ball,to bad i didn't see digmon,anyways i'm not a fan of anime warcraft,i know this has nothing to do with anime warcraft maps*i hope so*,but it looks like it has to do with anime+warcraft,so it exisit only one anime rpg for warcraft ,and the map is called "censured(i didn't plan to show a reclame from a better map)",basicly if i am right with the theory that is an anime warcraft map,then i'm sure this map will not reach my computer.
---------------
Please pm. me if you have something to say about my comment,i'm seriously sure that nobody would like to talk here about my critic for anime warcraft maps.
EDIT:i will not answer here about my comment!!!!!

Level 9
Well, I love MMRPG and idea list here was interesting enough, but to be honest I hate anime and I hate warcraft anime maps even much more, so I find this totaly ruined :/ I tried to play, but I just can't stay there for long...
I don't know if it was intended to make MM anime-like, but... no way way to make it playable for me like that...

Level 15
I'm sorry for the long delay in updates or responses.

I've released the full source on GitHub--anyone can check it out, but you'll need to follow the instructions in the README.md if you want to build your own working version of the alpha.

Please find the source here: https://github.com/sethmachine/mmrpg

As a warning, the code is in version skew--the most up-to-date branch is local on my machine, and at some point I'll push that branch to the repository. If you want a working version, pull the project and revert to any revision that says "checkpoint." (ideally the most recent checkpoint). Otherwise it's not guaranteed to compile unless you want to go and fix it.

The map needs new developers, as in the foreseeable future I simply don't have the time to work on it at all.

Feel free to use the source how you please. As a disclaimer, I take no responsibility for inefficient code or systems. If you use any ideas/parts from looking at the source, please give credit to me (so I know how helpful this could be to the community).

You can try PMing me if you have questions about the code and I'll do my best to respond.

Edit:

For the people saying this has something to do with Anime, it doesn't. I don't even know why some think this is an Anime map. It's more like a build-your-own-party adventure game with dungeon crawling and exploration.

Level 9
Nice! An unprortcted version! I am gonna check the dang triggers out! And oh! If u could be kind enough to gice me the mmrpg monster 1 unprotected .. i would be pleased!

Level 1
I'm sorry for the long delay in updates or responses.

I've released the full source on GitHub--anyone can check it out, but you'll need to follow the instructions in the README.md if you want to build your own working version of the alpha.

Please find the source here: https://github.com/sethmachine/mmrpg

As a warning, the code is in version skew--the most up-to-date branch is local on my machine, and at some point I'll push that branch to the repository. If you want a working version, pull the project and revert to any revision that says "checkpoint." (ideally the most recent checkpoint). Otherwise it's not guaranteed to compile unless you want to go and fix it.

The map needs new developers, as in the foreseeable future I simply don't have the time to work on it at all.

Feel free to use the source how you please. As a disclaimer, I take no responsibility for inefficient code or systems. If you use any ideas/parts from looking at the source, please give credit to me (so I know how helpful this could be to the community).

You can try PMing me if you have questions about the code and I'll do my best to respond.

Edit:

For the people saying this has something to do with Anime, it doesn't. I don't even know why some think this is an Anime map. It's more like a build-your-own-party adventure game with dungeon crawling and exploration.

Somebody should get the first or the second map ported onto Dota 2 Reborn

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

@Sethmachine, what are we allowed to do with this map? Can we use only parts of it and remake others, and can we give the map a different name (it would still have the spirit of MM, but somewhat different)

Obviously I'd give credits.

Level 15
Or port to Starcraft 2 cause it now has all the Warcraft 3 models.

There's a few difficulties with that, but ultimately you're right. I've also have heard people are trying to port it to DOTA3 and such too.

what are we allowed to do with this map?

The source code is open; if you decide to use any or parts of it, I'd appreciate credit and/or a message, just so I can know if it ever was helpful to anyone.

I haven't put up the actual map, but that source code will compile on any w3x map. To make it work, you'll need to change some of the hardcoded values, like the regions/rects where events occur.

Would you be able to release Robbepop's original source as well, with his permission?

It's ultimately his choice and not mine.

<strike>The source is not too useful, as most of it's in German and the code is very outdated.</strike>

I'm actually wrong about that--Robbepop's source was very helpful in developing this alpha and I used several of his systems, such as experience gain in the alpha. It was very good as a crash tutorial working with the map.

My criticism was that the original didn't use any OOP designs or other frameworks which would have helped development a lot. This is what I tried to do with MMRPG2.

However, it's very easy to add in cheats, etc., which is a concern and abuse the save/load functionality.
That's why I released my source--it (should be) a cleaner a version of code to work with.

Last edited:
Level 9
Sorry but this is unfinished and its been years now its my turn

What a disgrace. Unfinished piece of shit. Im going to attempt to create a TRUE Monster Master's II. Maybe I'll even call it "Monster Master's II Sin Dynasty" or some coolbadass expansion like shit, as you already have the tital monster master's ii. But the only difference between our maps is minew ill be the REAL OFFICIAL MONSTER MASTER'S II.

Level 9
What a disgrace. Unfinished piece of shit. Im going to attempt to create a TRUE Monster Master's II. Maybe I'll even call it "Monster Master's II Sin Dynasty" or some coolbadass expansion like shit, as you already have the tital monster master's ii. But the only difference between our maps is minew ill be the REAL OFFICIAL MONSTER MASTER'S II.

Im not stopping u pal... but lemme tell u one thing..i dont give a fuck about what you name your map or what will be offical "Monster Master".. but i do know is that the original monster master is the franchise of Robbepop.. you have to ask him permission first to use his name, pal. Then you can name it whatsoever after that... but u will have to ask Robbepop and Sethmachine before you can churn an "OFFICAL" version...

Level 11
It would be awesome to finally see a finished and fully working follower of Monster Master RPG. So anybody who is willing to attempt this, who has enough experience in map making and who is going to ask me for permission will get the permission.

The question is: Will he be able to finally do this?
Or will he fail due to reasons like: time, missing experience, missing motivation etc.

Let's see!

I just hope that he got enough experience for this (e.g. code in good JASS/vJass/WurstScript/whatever) and things like that.

It would be best of him to show off some of his more professional work to us.
I don't want to give anybody the map who is not even having enough experience with this.
Sethmachine had experience in map making but missed some important motivation in the final run - that's most often the case where someone abandons a project.

So show us some of your work and maybe I will give you the map besides the official permission to do something new with it. ;)

Regards,
Robbepop

Level 9
Robbepop you're my hero

Yeah I havent really produced any real kind of map as I always lose motivation towards the mid-final stages of development.
George Orwell once said when asked if he enjoys writing stories that: “Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout with some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand.”

Any who with that being said, I was just seeking your permission to develop a Monster Masters II from scratch. Nothing with crazy systems or scripts yet. A kind of prototype.

Level 11
Well you can try that of course and when you think that it is ready for first reviews by me, I will do that and give you the official permission to make the Monster Master RPG 2. Is that a deal to you? :)

Quality is important to me!

Regards,
Robbepop

Level 15
I put a lot of effort into this Alpha. For those unaware, I learned (v)JASS from scratch, and this was my very first Warcraft 3 mapping project/experience.

If you look at the github project, I had very detailed commit messages and organized it logically. I even automatically generated the bibliography :]

I put together many systems from scratch: custom stat system, custom ability learning system, Dialog system, Catching system, Quest system, creep spawning system, boss system, and I created several hundred custom objects, including about ~150 monsters and over 100 abilities

This was a shitton of work, excuse my French, for a 1st time developer.

ROBBEPOP said:
Sethmachine had experience in map making but missed some important motivation in the final run - that's most often the case where someone abandons a project.

Indeed, I did lose a bit of motivation, but also life got in the way (had to make a living). However, I haven't necessarily abandoned the project. I still host the alpha occasionally and join other players hosting MMRPG I on makemehost.com. They recognize me and do ask when it will be continued.

The problem is I needed additional team members. Specifically for terrain. I made multiple calls for terrainers but had no luck.

I also released the entire code of the alpha map (in more detail below), which would be very useful to any co-developer who has at least some background in programming.

Once I get my life back in order, I would really love to resume the project.

Project hasn't been active in over a year - looks a bit dead unfortunately.

sethmachine has a pretty detailed dev environment set up, too.

The framework was designed to allow very quick testing and development. I used many macros and Python scripts to glue together files, generate constants automatically, and simplify code. I mean, there's my own internal vJASS APIs for just about everything: making quests, dialogs, bosses, event scripting, etc., all dynamically and on the fly (yes, random quest generation was going to be a thing).

My philosophy is that I believe everything except the terrain should be importable and text based / easily manipulable by scripts.

Every custom object is generated by Lua scripts, which really speeds up development.

The framework is a bit flawed, and if I go back, it'll be the first thing I fix.

But essentially, you can import the whole code and objects into /any/ warcraft 3 map. This means the terrain development can be done separate to the game logic and code. This is just like real web development--the frontend HTML (or JSP or whatever) is created agnostic to the backend services, hence you have front and backend developers.

If the community really desires this map, then members should make earnest attempts to learn (v)JASS and, ideally, work with the GitHub project. That's what I did--I wasn't a mapper but I went for it any way (albeit I have a programming background). I'm more than happy to help set up people (just PM me), and if that's successful I would jump right back into it.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
You built an enormous development bed from scratch that no one understands. Everything you made exists.

You really improved the project for the next developer, but the casual contributor will have no motivation to learn a whole set of tools that only exist for MMRPG.

I think if you're not going to head up this project you should find someone willing to learn your tooling to inherit it.

Level 1
hello looking for updates on this game's progress. been months since ive seen anything. how are things shaping up dev?

Level 15
Hi everyone,

I have been haunting the forums for the past year, and my time has freed up a bit. I have been seriously contemplating returning to development and creating a more finished product for the community.

During my leave of absence from the project, I've gained a lot of experience in programming and development outside of WC3. This would translate to a better project and faster, higher quality development. There are still some issues, like having a good Terrainer for the project.

If there's strong interest, please reply or send me a message!

Level 1
Why do you need to start another map from scratch? There is not enough people anymore to warranty such a big project. Why not instead just continue polishing the original MM? Add more dungeons and maybe add more monsters and tiers?

Last edited:
Level 6
totally agree with you

Why do you need to start another map from scratch? There is not enough people anymore to warranty such a big project. Why not instead just continue polishing the original MM? Add more dungeons and maybe add more monsters and tiers?

Level 1
well seth, the map nowadays is still hosted 2-5 times a day and has a nice small community and all of us would love to see you update the map further, just a little input from a loyal and faithful MM player,

kiler2521

Level 2
Hi everyone,

I have been haunting the forums for the past year, and my time has freed up a bit. I have been seriously contemplating returning to development and creating a more finished product for the community.

During my leave of absence from the project, I've gained a lot of experience in programming and development outside of WC3. This would translate to a better project and faster, higher quality development. There are still some issues, like having a good Terrainer for the project.

If there's strong interest, please reply or send me a message!
There has been strong interest since this was announced I'm pretty sure so... There is that.

Level 15
Update:

Thank you all for responding to the survey. I just finished building my new Windows PC Computer! Part of why the project derailed was my last Windows PC blew up (literally) when I was working on this back in 2014. I never was able to get a new Windows PC to function as a development machine for this project until recently. So that is a big part of why I'm returning just now.

Hi everyone,

I have been active on the Hiveworkshop again and I am strongly considering returning this project.

I've put together a survey, please respond so I can gauge interest on whether developing this project will be valuable to the community.

Survey: Monster Master RPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.