1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Vote for the best entries in the 13th Music Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modeling Contest #29 - Squad

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by HappyCockroach, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Made a fast drawing of what I really want to make, so I hope it is within the definition of squad:

[​IMG]

Here is the animations i will attempt to have done in time:
    • Stand
    • Stand Alternate (Stationary mode, squad go in full defense mode, creating small fortified position.
    • Stand Defend (Either uses shield ahead of squad, or shield guys uses spells to form a shield around them.
    • Move
    • Move Defend
    • Attack (Either mage guy attacks, or front shield guys bash with their shields, hidden daggers, or something similar)
    • Attack Alternate
    • Attack Defend
    • Attack Second (A sustained attack by mage guy, for short attack rate lightning attacks.
    • Attack Defend Second
    • Attack Alternate Second
    • Spell (Mage guy casts a spell, a ball like spell)
    • Spell Channel (Everybody in squad channels, probably acolyte style)
    • Spell Alternative Channel
    • Spell Throw (Shield guy throws potion)
    • Death (Mage guy falls of chair, shield guys falls afterward)
    • Dissipate or decay (Not sure if this is supposed to be a hero or not yet, might add both)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. leventopoulo

leventopoulo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    How about a knight that can mount dismount a horse? maybe the horse can kick someone or something...

3. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    First Body WIP. Man, I love orcs.

Attached Files:

4. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    well if the carrier characters actually do something else than carrying, and the mage is levitating, then the squad like those could work
    that kinda still feels lill too simple.. and we don't need a unit that can 'morph' (aka mount and dismount)

5. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hovering? Squads can't carry eachother? Because then we need a new contest image xD

6. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    uff.. dummy me.. well those in the picture are doing more than just carrying each other, right? x3

7. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yup, casting spells, being human shields, ect.

8. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    well.. funny thing is that Gluma's four-lizard-wizard model from previous contest was a better squad than a wizard.. kind-of?

9. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, it can be seen as a squad, as long as the guys aren't mere carriers. I'd prefer not having the focus so strongly on only 1 of the characters. Try to make the little guys channel magic along with the leader, or some other action for them to perform, would make them stand out more. Some disasters, as almost letting it fall, or daring the guy's authority, might make it more spirited as a squad.
    That image, it shows greatly many things, as the fact most squads are made of small creatures, and that they tend to cooperate, each with its job. But the fact it is mounted might influence everyone to mount their squad members on top of another - that alternative, if constant in the model, is in the threshold of a cavalry. ._.
    The mounted aspect is better used as a stance, not a permanent characteristic.

Nice texture, but watch out for that anatomy! It's a bit off, mainly the belly part, too long and thin. Look some references before it is already rigged.

I call his model rather a war beast. Yes it is a squad also, but firstly and more essentially a war beast. That weakens the idea a bit for this contest.

10. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    well there's still time for a cool squad to appear :3

11. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    And who said the ideas proposed here don't make cool squads? I'm seeing pretty creative ideas until now, if you don't think so, well... try to say it in a constructive or more responsible manner.

12. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  13. Stefan.K

Stefan.K

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Does a hero wih his two guards counts as a squad?

14. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    guess this is another reason why i don't wanna judge people's models and ideas this time? Ouo

sorry guys, lemme give you a big thumbs up tho :goblin_good_job: <--(and a goofy one as well)

15. FireTiger

FireTiger

Resources:
    Resources:
    Interesting theme.

16. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I have much more to say to a few others so far (e.g. PROXY, "oh you". :p Noice Orc, btw), but I just need to jump in quickly for this:

!!!
    The Day Foretold Has Arrived
    !!!

I have waited many long years for someone to be daring enough to tackle one of the most surprising absences in Warcraft modeling; the Palanquin. It's a rich, cultural element of many parts of the world, and there are tons of ways it could make sense (Gnomish Technomage carried by docile robo-servants, Trollish Medicine Mon lofted by trained turtles, Draenei Mystic borne by magical floating crystals, etc...).

In particular, one of my favorite un-realized designs for a Goblin Tradeprince involved a lush, royal palanquin carried by slavish Goblin servants! (that, or a more "business-man" Tradeprince followed by a few loyal Goblin servants (gun-wielder, spell-caster, assassin, etc). If you are able to finish this, we'll finally have a base off of which to work to create all these dreams. : )

Good luck, man. I am dying to see this finished.

~~~

Carry on.

17. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sounds nice! And what Kirby0 said. We never saw a model as that for wc3. And it's such an interesting thing.

Sure it counts, but keep in mind squads are usually made of smaller creatures. It isn't a mashup of regular models. Imagine a squad made of the Paladin, the Archmage and the Mountain King. All of them are full-fledged models, why would they be done as 1 only model?

Try to focus on interdependence and collaborativeness between the members of the squad.

Guys, I know I've been picky about the theme, but I don't want to be the one who says what fits and what doesn't fit to it. As I said, look at the goblin sappers, the mortar team, other possibilities, and ellaborate a concept of your own, based on the contest guidelines, and show your ideas. If you're aware of the theme, and approve your idea yourself, then you should be fine, go ahead.

18. DEE-BOO

DEE-BOO

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    This is so cool, someone should make a reverse Pandaren. Fire, wind and earth walk around as a squad and they can fuse together to become one. Another idea is a abomination squad, torso with arms crawling around with two other buddies that can join together to make an abomination variation.

19. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Great theme! I'm looking forward to the final results!

20. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    hey how come there are not more comments? xD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.