• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #21 - Chess: Poll

Vote for the best entry!

• [URL=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2019781-post235.html]eubz's White Pawn[/URL]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

modeling.png
contest.png
number.png
2.png
1.png

poll.png

788_realsize.jpg

Chess Unit

Contestants should create an unit which is an artistic interpretation of a Chess piece.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.

prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

• 60 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
    • Score shall be taken out of 50 points,
      • 15 points for mesh (how good-looking and functional is the geometry)
      • 10 points for animations (or how well Blizzard animations have been used)
      • 10 points for skin (or how well Blizzard skins have been used)
      • 5 points for mechanics (how well does this model work ingame)
      • 5 points for effects (appropriate use of particles, ribbons, etc.)
      • 5 points for creativity (how unpredictable and consistent is the concept)
  • 40 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
  • Final Score = (Judge's Score)*0.6 + (votes/(total votes))*40 = (score)/100
entries.png

judges.png

• Deolrin
  • HappyCockroach

disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote, bribing members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you DISQUALIFIED, BANNED from future contests, -REPPED, and possibly INFRACTED. So don't do it!
This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users to vote in this poll, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated that you want them to vote for you, whether it is an "impartial" annoucement), and so on.​

Level 15
I had a hard time choosing between epsilon's and The Weird Human's, but in the end I chose the Black King because it has more spectacular animations while the White Rook is also fantastic (especially the morph animation) but didn't have any spell animation. I also find the Black King has that more familiar Chess theme.

So my vote goes to Weird Human's Black King

Level 10
Here is my review:
M0rbid :
- I personally dont like custom textures, but this one is really creative in both mesh and animations, i want vote for this one.

rysnt11 :
- That 's too many wasting polies in this model, that really big bad point.
-Textures choice is good.

Peper :
- If i vote then i 'll come for this one along with M0rbid, ingame textures + fitting animation, only one bad point>> the wings shouldn't be black.

skrab :
- This one is really adorable. but a bit high poly.
- Animations is fine enough.

Dionesiist :
- Such a waste when she have a creative mesh follow simplest animation, although transfer animation is the most thing i hate.

Wandering Soul :
- Animations way to simple,
- We actually can handle this concerp with ingame textures in some ways, custom textures is a waste.

Other models using transfer animation so i dont have any comment about them because it's not your animations, Blizzard own it !

Level 26
[...]Other models using transfer animation so i dont have any comment about them because it's not your animations, Blizzard own it !

same counts for ingame textures, so I don't quite get your point, because you could still talk about the meshes and the concept and textures. :p

creating good animations is also really time consuming and can be really frustrating and is also quite difficult compared to mesh creating process. That's why people like to use ingame anims.

Level 10
creating good animations is also really time consuming and can be really frustrating and is also quite difficult compared to mesh creating process. That's why people like to use ingame anims.
My Point is here: What happen when you suddenly made a very creative mesh but no Blizzard animation fit to transfer for it, and here is your option:
A- Abandon this model project
B- Add some ugly hand made animation because you never try to make animation before.
C- Turn creative mesh into some unsuprising mesh like Footman or Infernal and call it a new model !

Level 17
My Point is here: What happen when you suddenly made a very creative mesh but no Blizzard animation fit to transfer for it, and here is your option:
B- Add some ugly hand made animation because you never try to make animation before.
C- Turn creative mesh into some unsuprising mesh like Footman or Infernal and call it a new model !

get an animator to animate it!

Easy, simple solution

XD

Level 10
What do you mean by that? i did all that work for the animation and you just said that it's blizzard's? that's some nonsense, well it's not that i'm mad or something, it's just wrong :/ :eekani:
I see, you add some of your animation following blizzard's, But the difference of quality between two kinds animation in one model is so big.
Beside, as i know, bishop is a mage type. Your's look like a pawn.
If you guy really want more comment then here:
eubz:
- You can win with a creative pawn for sure but not with foot man pawn and transfer animation.
epsilon:
- This stuff 'll have a seat in top 3 model of this contest, but there towers should be useful in combat if you want a bigger prize
The Weird Human
- Creative mesh > yes, the same type with Ampharos_222's, top 5 too.
darkdeathknight
- Not thing look like a chesspiece, you just pick wrong choice and lose this contest.
Ampharos_222
- This is not a magic creature, it's a mechanical one, the arms should connect to shoulder and the concept dont suprising me but still a good mesh and textures choice. this one in top 5.

Last edited:
Level 49

D - Adjust the rig so it fits the Blizzard model. Alternatively adjust the Blizzard model's rig.

I'm trying really, really hard not to insult you after some of these comments. You are just being plain disrespectful. :|
You come across as a rather arrogant person, too.

How come The Weird Human's entry broke the rules? :O

From what I heard, he stole mesh from anarchianbedlamn's ODIN and Ampharos_222's Rook.

Level 26
there really is no reason to post the proof public, because Deolrin is a judge of this contest and because multiple models mods took a look at it and had the same opinion on the case.
We simply don't want to put somebody in the pillory.

Level 26
How come The Weird Human's entry broke the rules? :O
From what I heard, he stole mesh from anarchianbedlamn's ODIN and Ampharos_222's Rook.

He did not rip anything from amphaross' model, But he did take some parts from 2 models without permission. I've already talked to him and he is sorry. So while has has respectfully stepped down from this competition, there really is no need to discuss it further.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Dionesiist got my vote, certainly the most creative. M0rbid's texture just seems flat. Skrab's entry is pretty cool too, I mean, it's not creative, but it is the direct translation of white queen. Too bad it's so simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.