• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini Terrain Contest - BLUE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
the%20hive%20workshop.png

mini-.png
terraining.png
contest.png

bluescreen1.gif

Blue
Create a terrain that grapples with the colour blue. Express yourself blue. Be blue, act blue, have the blues. Your colour, your choice.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• All submissions must follow the current theme. If any terrain does not fit, a moderator or the host will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission in form of a screenshot must be posted before the deadline.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours. Also you are adviced to keep the original map until the contest is over. (The host strongly recommends you to post as many WiPs as possible to keep the contest vivid though)
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
  • Map may consist of any resource as long a it is public and not ripped (except WoW models, which are apparently fine) or stolen
  • Unless a used resource belongs to either hiveworkshop or Wc3 Campaigns, a link to the used resources must be provided. (In case of WoW models, the link has to be PMed to the assigned moderator)
  • No image editing tools may be used to enhance the terrain previews (however cropping is allowed).
  • The submission has to follow the general site rules
prizes.png

The Winner will receive 15 reputation points and the runner up will receive 5 reputation points.

judges.png

M0rbid with his very own judging guidelines.... (...that are no secret at all...), only one judge, because all other qualified persons will participate. (I demand)

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 24th of April and conclude on 31th of May (Extended from 13th), GMT

Last edited:
Level 36
I'll most definitively squirt out an entry for this marvelously dull theme.

Count me in.

Edit: Oh and this is my first, and hopefully last WIP before I get this terrain done, and yes, I've been a sorry ass and chose to make a underwater terrain, I've truthfully only done one of these in the past, that and I've worked out an idea that I like really much.

Now I can blame anyone else doing an underwater terrain for ripping my idea.

Attachments

• WIP.jpg
    WIP.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Level 23
I doubt that I am known for looking on reputation to judge people, and I doubt that I am known to look at rep and names before looking at the terrain.

But for you to compete you just need to start terraining. This contest is about one screen of your terrain, so this has to be your goal. Create one screenshot that goes along with the theme.
Also make sure to post atleast one Work in progress. The more the better though, as stated above.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Okey world but when conquest began pls do not look first on reputation and then on pictures.
The medalists of the terraining contest we just sipped up in plastic were pretty much no-namers with Azurot being the only exception. I don't think the terraining section has been subject to that much bias over the years, and especially not the contests.

Level 2
Well! I'll try it. Is there any guidelines for the theme other than simply... blue?

Level 36
WIP. Obviously an underwater terrain. I DEDICATE THIS TO GILLES

That joke is only funny the first time you pull it,
- Such as with your "void world terrain."

What about making an honest entry, mate?

It's been ages since I saw anything from you,
and it would be welcoming with some challenge
in this contest, considering no-one else has posted
any WIPs.

Anyways, new WIP.
- The observetory might notice that I had come further than this, only my map got deleted when my PC suddenly decided to go apeshit on me and just die. Nonetheless, not so much lost anyways.

Attachments

• WIP.jpg
    WIP.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 210
Level 14
This is what I'm thinking is my first wip.. Tried some other stuff, it was meh, so I'm going with this as far as it takes me. But it would be nice to see what y'all think it could use.
Edited the terrain a bit and since nobody has posted in the thread thus far I shall leave this here...

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_042612_185500_01.png
    WC3ScrnShot_042612_185500_01.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 273
  • WC3ScrnShot_042712_235404_01.png
    WC3ScrnShot_042712_235404_01.png
    1,007 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Level 23
I like the one that looks the best and represents an idea the best and is overall artistically pleasing the most. How you archieve that is up to you and basically there are quite a few ways.
And to answer your question more precise. Imports can often help making the terrain looking better, so they might be useful. You won't get a bonus score for simply using them though, but for how you use your doodads and wether your imports are good or not.

Level 3
I‘d like to say a contest can always make me exciting!
here is my first draft 》》》》》》》》》》

But of course,many thanks for you Keiji !

i did use your Terrain map “picture#4” to finish my jod.

Also many thanks for the guys who made these awesome models.

212071-albums5548-picture57694.jpg

eh.........Legend blue capital?

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
@ionster

The trees are horrible and the cloud texture fucks up the folding a bit, but the rock formations are smoothly done, fog unfolds well and the structures are okay.

@Pharao_

Always love a shifty angle. The layering is looking nice but the clouds are too adjacent. The cloudsphere splits the layering top right and covers up some of the village motif. Just scale them up a bit and you should be a-okay.

@Pharao_

Where do you get model for that girl is it exported from some other game (wow maybe) and omg I was thinking something like that just without girl and horse xD

I know to it is easier to use imported models but it's really big challange to make terrain to looks so cool without importing (i wasn't talking this to pharaon), and I personally much more like when I see to someone have made cool terrain without import because thats mean to he is rally good in it

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I know to it is easier to use imported models but it's really big challange to make terrain to looks so cool without importing (i wasn't talking this to pharaon), and I personally much more like when I see to someone have made cool terrain without import because thats mean to he is rally good in it
No, it isn't, easier to terrain with imported resources; precisely because everyone will judge it with this line of reasoning in mind.

Level 3
The trees are horrible and the cloud texture fucks up the folding a bit, but the rock formations are smoothly done, fog unfolds well and the structures are okay. .
Many thanks for your advice,you were quite right.
In fact ,i removed these fucking trees and i did change the light at last and here is the result :)
212071-albums5548-picture57727.jpg

So ,i'd like to call this"underground kingdom" now.

but you could maybe tint the crystals a little more of a blueish hue, rather than a teal, or light blue - basically darken them. Other than that, the new environment seems good enough. However, the underground dome model, in laymen terms, is just bad. Don't use it.
. .
212071-albums5548-picture57742.jpg

eh.........make this happen.

Last edited:
Level 14
Ionster, it's much better now, but you could maybe tint the crystals a little more of a blueish hue, rather than a teal, or light blue - basically darken them. Other than that, the new environment seems good enough. However, the underground dome model, in laymen terms, is just bad. Don't use it.

Maybe you could try and use the felsen rocks for that too. :D

No, it isn't, easier to terrain with imported resources; precisely because everyone will judge it with this line of reasoning in mind.

Sry I do not think like. I think when someone see custom sky, models they first say ''WOW so cool'' and maybe after that look at details so imported models are big+. When someone see terrain without import wall he will tell This seen 100 times, and I can do this etc. Just my thinking :D

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Try out all three version, one isn't shaded and has all the blending issues fixed. I tried working with a blend filter applied once though and that made for some pretty sweet mist atmosphere. In any case, low tinting values and scaled up to make it more sparse should do the trick. Placing them can be a bit of a bitch but the output is generally worth the bellyache.

Level 36
So, right. New WIP, I'm sure I won't be able to hit the deadline, ah well we'll see.

Notes about the WIP:

- I'm currently fooling around with light and experimenting with how I want the sun to break on the waves, it's proving hard to have a flat surface of water to work with, since anything half covered by it will get clipped.

I'm also considering covering all of the ground with rocks, since the adition of light makes the tiles glow >.>
I've also added some more seaweed, or underwater-shrubs if you want.

Any form of comment or critique is more than welcome :p

Attachments

• WIP.png
    WIP.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Level 28
So, right. New WIP, I'm sure I won't be able to hit the deadline, ah well we'll see.

Notes about the WIP:

- I'm currently fooling around with light and experimenting with how I want the sun to break on the waves, it's proving hard to have a flat surface of water to work with, since anything half covered by it will get clipped.

I'm also considering covering all of the ground with rocks, since the adition of light makes the tiles glow >.>
I've also added some more seaweed, or underwater-shrubs if you want.

Any form of comment or critique is more than welcome :p

Looks epic for a wip. And I really like the placement of the camera.

2-P

2-P

Level 8
That joke is only funny the first time you pull it,

I thought I could turn it into a running gag. :3

What about making an honest entry, mate?

It's been ages since I saw anything from you,
and it would be welcoming with some challenge
in this contest, considering no-one else has posted
any WIPs.

So much pressure... I'll make something over the weekend...

Status
Not open for further replies.