• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contest #11 - The Poll

Which entry should win?

• DD_legionTN's The Mystery of Vigolateria

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Kino's Catacomb Chronicles

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Sclammerz's Treasure Rush

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • ZiBitheWand3r3r's Treasure Hunt

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
the%20hive%20workshop.png

mini-.png
mapping.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
1.png

treasure.jpg

poll.png

entries.png

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Originality/Creativity
Does the map offer interesting and new ideas, mechanics or other aspects? Includes creativity in both visuals and gameplay mechanics.
Theme
How well does the map follow the chosen theme?
A mini game about being the first to find a treasure chest would score well, a tower defense or dota-like would not.
Aesthetics
Is the map pleasing to look at? Are models and textures chosen well to fit together?
Includes terrain, imports chosen, custom art made for the map, visual design, etc.
Gameplay
Is it fun or engaging?
Includes design of abilities, characters, balance, replayability (if applicable), and storyline for story-driven maps. A dota-like would not be original, but it would score highly in gameplay if it's well made.
Triggers/Code/Performance
How well is the map coded?
Includes errors, bugs, performance issues.
Polish
General polish all-round the map. e.g. abilities have hotkeys, all units have icons, custom interface changes have a custom tooltip.
65 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
35 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline in the contest thread. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited. You may make new models, icons, etc specifically for the contest.
  • All multiplayer maps must be under 8mb, so they are playable on Battle.Net.
prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
  • All other participants, including judges: 5 reputation points

judges.png
  • eubz
  • Cokemonkey11

Level 21
Awesome concept and layout. But from the sound of it, you already know it fell a bit short in actual gameplay. In terms of the theme, you introduced a unique method of treasure hunting.

The interacting with and reading objects felt very smooth and mystical. I actually found myself enjoying the reading of wordy text in a game, for once. The terrain was aesthetically pleasing along with the combination of ruin-like colors in the text and the environment.

The fact that the game could end anytime with just the use of an ability felt very strange and killed some of the feeling of depth from the game. I would much prefer it if we had to unlock that by offering some hidden relic in a ritual at a central altar or something. I was victorious my second run-through just for entering a random dungeon and filling up my inventory before using that ability. I don't think it should be that simple even if it's the player's choice to disregard the clues and the environment.

I really enjoy this type of game where you can examine your environment while traversing into new areas. I had to take a closer look at the upper portion of your map's terrain when I opened it in the editor to test it from there. It's very interesting to look at.

You were definitely on the right track to making a great map, but I found myself checking the editor for clues about what to do since very few of your clues ever really guided me anywhere. The only puzzle I really enjoyed was the optional one for opening the treasure chest inside the "lopsided" gate area. Solving that actually made me feel proud of myself. But I often didn't have the patience to go back and forth between areas to figure out how to unlock the next area. It would be better if it was all centralized or at least more organized.

Finding treasures didn't really seem worthwhile without them being displayed anywhere or being acquired for any reason. The terrain was very strange with things like ice structures randomly thrown in with boundary lines all around. I did really like the elevator in the upper portion of the map as well as the different heights of platforms. Grammar was sporadic and sometimes hard to make sense of, but I wouldn't have minded it much if you at least gave more hints about what to do or where to go.

After seeing your map evolve from earlier versions, I could see all the effort you put into polishing your map. Although the general idea of trudging through a dungeon to seek the treasure at the end is a bit too generic, you made it more fun racing the AI pirates, avoiding traps and solving some puzzles. And I can see that you continued adding new fixes to improve the quality of the map up until the last day, and it really paid off. I found the map a lot more enjoyable to beat with this version. Each hero is a lot of fun to play with all of their extra buffs on each ability, so it doesn't feel like default Warcraft abilities.

Like I said before, I was really looking forward to a more explosive ending. But the ending you provided was still entertaining, and a month-long contest goes by very quickly with little time to include everything planned or imagined. The replay factor is definitely there with each class feeling very different to play as, and each feels balanced for what their combat style is. You got my vote.

Neat idea partnering up a treasure hunter with a sort of bodyguard hero. The opening wisp puzzle was a nice touch. You included some interesting mechanics that had me playing for a while in search of the treasures (showing the direction and distance of the treasure was genius), but things eventually got old. Although I'm sure it would be better played multiplayer, I would have liked to have seen at least some simple AI by computer players or even patrolling creeps to cover some of that vast terrain space.

Level 21
The original mission clue is really all that's needed at the moment due to having the only key words you need to narrow the relic down (who the tomb belongs to would be more than enough of a clue), so I guess that one is too accurate. But I really like the concept, and I hope you find a way to prolong the game before posting it in the map section.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
I have finished my marking for the contest.

The marks and comments are in an encrypted zip file below.

I will provide the password to the contest host once I've heard confirmation that Eubz is also finished and he's to receive them.

Good job overall to the contestants.

Attachments

• markings.zip
    94.2 KB · Views: 96
Level 23
I have finished my marking for the contest.

The marks and comments are in an encrypted zip file below.

I will provide the password to the contest host once I've heard confirmation that Eubz is also finished and he's to receive them.

Good job overall to the contestants.

Is eubz even still active?
Last time he was judging, "computer issues" held up the judging for over 2 months.

Id rather get someone else then wait on a judge that may or may not show up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.