• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paired Modelling Contest #2: Poll

Paired Modelling Contest #2 : Poll

• [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/arena-226/paired-modelling-contest-2-a-197451/index11.html#

Votes: 32 25.8%
  • [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/arena-226/paired-modelling-contest-2-a-197451/index12.html#

Votes: 29 23.4%
  • [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/arena-226/paired-modelling-contest-2-a-197451/index10.html#

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/arena-226/paired-modelling-contest-2-a-197451/index12.html#

Votes: 48 38.7%
  • [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1963917-post104.html"]Mantis[/URL] by -Peper- and Izanagi

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
^If what you have just written is true (that your moddelings/texturing contests) lack such things. Eh.. You are about year behind the hero\spells\system ones. And even techtree + mapping contests have been changed a lot (thanks to Pharaoh_).

Good luck in future constests. Let the best one wins!

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26

Vengeancekael, I have even told them history behind the zerg flyers + they can watch sc1 movies. Even that there is written that part of those being can travel depth space it seems people here are much more limited inside than you and me. See you on mapping contest judging XD

bah. specific themes suck... dunno why we keep doing contests like that.
like:

EVERYBODY SHOULD DO A BOAT!!! THE COOLEST BOAT WINS!!!

sounds so childish and dumb... who suggests these stuff?

themes should be subjective... so models will always fit the theme in a sense.
and that logic of concept relation can be brilliant and imaginative, or it can be miserable and obvious - real creativity takes place, where everything is designed, even the concept and the purpose of the model.

---

for this contest, please just give us those results once and for all, i'm more than tired about this pointless talk, the judge is the judge and his judgement is done according to his beliefs. let's just accept and get over it

Level 31
"Spacecraft" is a specific theme?

I was not informed.

Anyway, the problem with "anything goes" and "express youself" theme systems, (aside from being hilariously hipster-ish) is that you end up with the "epicosity" effect. Whatever model is "more epic" in scale or concept is going to get the majority of the votes from people, because people are idiots who don't understand what makes a model good. For instance, if you have a contest where someone makes the shittiest model ever, but it's a model of chuck norris riding the death star naked firing ejaculation lazers, and you also have a beautifully created model of a gentle bird monster with sublime animation quality, the former will win. Plus, it adds a TREMENDOUS amount of pressure on the judges when they can't compare anything from each model.

Level 26
The point of a theme for a contest, is to create parameters with which to compare each model to eachother. When 2 submissions are of similar quality, that tie breaker could be how well the contestant paid attention to the theme, how creative they were within that set system of parameters.

In this example. 2 people thought that by stretching the theme for spacecraft to include bugs, that they would get bonus creativity points. Because spacebugs are so out of the ordinary, 'bugs' is not the first thing you think of when you hear 'spacecraft'.
It's an increasingly popular mentality, where someone believes that he who stretches the theme the farthest, is the most unique (and yes, i fell into that trap too, in the past).
It's easier to compare a bunch of battlecruisers to eachother to find the best one, than to compare a battlecruiser to an overlord to a gundam. In these situations, the judge has to defer to how well these archetypes fit the theme.

A spacecraft or spaceship is a craft or machine designed for spaceflight. Spacecraft are used for a variety of purposes, including communications, earth observation, meteorology, navigation, planetary exploration and transportation of humans and cargo.
I guess i wasnt paying as much attention to the thread when you all asked about zhurgbugs. but when i read that theme description a few key words popped out at me. "designed for spaceflight" .... ergo, my problem with the wings in space. And as far as i can tell, both the zerg in this contest function as simple attacking units. They dont seem to have any spell animations. So i fail to see how they were designed for communications, navigation, or cargo transport.... (observation/exploration... eh, ambiguous) So it would appear that these zerg are not defined to function so much as "spacecraft" as they are simply "giant killer bugs that can breathe in space".

HERES THE PART YOU SHOULD PAY ATTENTION TO
But the most important thing that you should realize about this. is that "you are blowing this thing out of fucking proportion" I didnt disqualify anyone. It was simply part of my judging. a very small, insignificant part in which the effects are almost negligible (1/10th or 10%). And that most, if not ALL of my ranting is 'tongue in cheek'. I'm not going to lose any sleep over 'why are there bugs in space'. I was merely pointing out a logical fallacy in an incredibly popular franchise. Dont get all huffy and offended over this shit. LAUGH WITH ME GODDAMNIT. Zerg are conceptually retarded. (that doesnt mean i cant enjoy playing SC2). Even if i removed the 'creativity/theme' section of my judging, it really wouldnt change the end result that much.

You people get offended over the most ridiculous shit.

The point of a theme for a contest
Believe me that I didn't get offended, I just tried to give some arguments when I thought we were about to be disqualified, what would suck, kinda wasting our effort.
Your judging makes sense and has rationality, if it's impossible it is something that can be questionable.

I kinda exaggerated about specific themes sucking. But... did we give subjective themes a try?
We can reduce the poll weight in those. There's that music-inspired model suggestion... and that chess piece model... those are pretty interesting.

Level 31
I thought we were about to be disqualified, what would suck, kinda wasting our effort.

Oh that reminds me. Was going to harp on that concept here for a bit, because recently it's been used as an argument for getting this and that. This is not to say that is what you specifically are saying, it's just that what you said reminded me to point it out.

So, recently any time something idiotic has happened in a contest, or people are mad about deadlines being deadlines, etc, people have been saying things like "it's stupid because we put all this work into it" or "how would you feel to have all that hard work go to waste?"

Stop using that as an excuse to get some special treatment or an extension. If you put all your work into something that doesn't fit the theme and is going to be disqualified, then next time you shouldn't be an idiot. Just make something on theme. OR: If you put a lot of work into a model, but didn't finish it in the month or so you received to do so, don't bitch about all the work you put into it in an effort to get more time. You don't get special treatment for not managing your time, being lazy, or just running out of time due to life.

I know that is sort of unrelated, but I figure this is a good time to put that out there as we are already well on our way down that road. And no, I don't mean any particular offense to anyone. I've just noticed the trend of arguments over the last few contests.

Point is: Just because you put "a lot of work" into something, doesn't mean you are due special treatment.

Level 15
I believe this discussion is nothing but crap, if i may interfere. The poll is done, the discussion should have started before the voting even began. Now iam not joining on anyone sides, i fairly agree on zergs being spacecrafts or not from all of the facts ive seen on this discussion but if this started from the literal meaning of spacecraft then youre wasting texts. Besides if you deduct points for the bug models, it would only deduct creativity which is 10%.
Come on! Can we just have the results? After that you can start vomiting shit.

Last edited:

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
Argument? The only argument here was between Mr. Bob and actually Mr. Bob.

Rest of us were talking about the limitiation brought with this contest.
But Pyritie, really that issue shouldn't prolong the result thread, better post it as soon as you can. I'm pretty sure most guys here are sick of waiting for so long already.

Just next time make sure all participants get the 'preview' from judges so they know that their project follows theme - such misunderstanding should never take place.

Level 26
the judges or host will only say something if their entry does not fit in the theme. They will only comment about their entry in this situation IF their concept will be disqualified.
Pyrities and happy's entries fit the theme, but only on the fringe of what it is. ergo, they were not discqualified, they just got less points.

the judging for how well a model fit the theme is not a one-off, 'all or nothing score'....

Status
Not open for further replies.