• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modelling Paired Contest #2 - Spacecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Modelling Paired Contest #2

The title says it all. No one has been talking about paired model contest for a while so here it is. There couldnt be a simpler and easy theme both to concept and to create.

Two people team up together and make a spacecraft. This includes, spaceships, space stations and satellites.

The logic of this is incredibly simple.
  • Dont really need complex anim. Bare minimum of Stand and Death anim.
  • No real restriction on creativity. Make whatever model your imagination cooks up as long as it looks like a feasible spaceship/spacecraft
  • No restriction on production role. Work it out between the pair on what it is that you are going to do to create this model. The whole modeller/texturer distinction has not been made just for this purpose. So people can be as flexible with their partner as they can possibly be.

the%20hive%20workshop.png

paired.png
modeling.png

contest.png
number.png
2.png

2001_discovery2.jpg

Spacecraft
A spacecraft or spaceship is a craft or machine designed for spaceflight. Spacecraft are used for a variety of purposes, including communications, earth observation, meteorology, navigation, planetary exploration and transportation of humans and cargo.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Team consists of TWO PEOPLE. No more, no less. Their roles in the creation of the entry model are not specified.
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the model submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Must contain the following animations, and more if possible:
    • Stand
    • Death
    • Portrait Animations (whether it's for a camera or a separate portrait model)
prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Pending
  • Pending
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Mesh
Vertices and faces/15

Animations
How well made or how well WC3 animations have been used/10

Skin
How well made or how well WC3 textures have been used/10

Mechanics
How well the model works/5

Effects
Appropriate use of additional effects/5

Creativity
Self explanatory/5
  • 60 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 40 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on Date and conclude on Date, GMT

PS: anyone who asks "is this a spaceship?" will be ignored and perhaps possibly(ie. most definitely) neg-repped depending on the severity of their stupidity/troll-ness. If you dont know how to differentiate between a tree/frog/monkey/soda can and a spaceship, then sorry to say this but you would be hopeless in this contest. If you do but you still ask the question, then you are just a person who enjoys neg-reps and bans.

-----------------------------

List of possible contestants without specified partner
Fan
The_Silent
Dentothor
Shiik NEEDS MODELLER

Last edited:
Level 49
We had plenty of more interesting, just as open, just as simple theme suggestions in the previous contest's theme poll, as well as the PREVIOUS previous contest theme poll. Why should we use this one, if we already have a lot of polls we could be aspiring to follow?
For instance: Doodad Pack, Attachment Pack, Western, Demon, Undead, Tier-1 Unit. All of them are just as simple and just as 'restricted' as your suggestion.
In other words, I like the idea of a TAG-TEAM BITCH-FEST 3001, but not under this theme. I feel that it's not useful enough for map-makers, and that those models will just lie there in the model section along with models like this and this.

Level 26
We had plenty of more interesting, just as open, just as simple theme suggestions in the previous contest's theme poll, as well as the PREVIOUS previous contest theme poll. Why should we use this one, if we already have a lot of polls we could be aspiring to follow?
For instance: Doodad Pack, Attachment Pack, Western, Demon, Undead, Tier-1 Unit. All of them are just as simple and just as 'restricted' as your suggestion.
In other words, I like the idea of a TAG-TEAM BITCH-FEST 3001, but not under this theme. I feel that it's not useful enough for map-makers, and that those models will just lie there in the model section along with models like this and this.

over 900 downloads and then over 3000 downloads is hardly "lying about being useless"

Level 49
I used to play A LOT of Warcraft 3 maps. I never saw those models in any map. I saw General Frank's and other similar models all over the place. Like literally every second map used them.
Downloads means nothing; People download models mostly to look at them. If not, then their map is very likely to never be released.
Also, did you even see the DATE on those models? If they really were all that useful, they'd had about 10000 downloads or so.

Level 26
I used to play A LOT of Warcraft 3 maps. I never saw those models in any map. I saw General Frank's and other similar models all over the place. Like literally every second map used them.

So they are automatically labeled as "useless" because you did not personally see them in any custom maps that you played....
my myyy... what bold assumptions you make
such conceit, such accusations.

Downloads means nothing; People download models mostly to look at them. If not, then their map is very likely to never be released.
Also, did you even see the DATE on those models? If they really were all that useful, they'd had about 10000 downloads or so.

So very few models here have 10000 downloads, hardly even a handful of the DCs have that many

Level 23
That's because most custom maps are not really advanced in terms of the look and layout maybe. But that's not the models fault.

Modelling is not only about recreating warcraft models or creating models that fit into the warcraft look that was created back in 200something0000, nuff said.

I was really happy when I saw this thread! hell yes

Level 26
too many spaceship models?

968 doodad models and 941 attachment models vs less than 200 spaceship models?
so i guess we cant do a doodad or attachment contest

too few maps set in space?
how many maps have a western theme?
So i guess we cant do a western contest either

Well those were your 3 main suggestions
It seems like this spaceship theme is the perfect happy medium for all the "problems" you tried bringing up

Red

Red

Level 26
Since did contests need to produce useful models?

Anyway, it's a really simple and easy theme with a lot of room for creativity, and hopefully can breathe some life back into these contests - we've seemed to have been having a drought lately as far as participation. Hopefully we can have a big ol' roster this time, maybe even draw some newcomers out of hiding?

Since did contests need to produce useful models?

Anyway, it's a really simple and easy theme with a lot of room for creativity, and hopefully can breathe some life back into these contests - we've seemed to have been having a drought lately as far as participation. Hopefully we can have a big ol' roster this time, maybe even draw some newcomers out of hiding?

Well, then choose the theem with the highest appeal.
"paired" contests always scared me away. As if model creating wasn't hard enough...

...But hell, if anyone need a partner for next contest(and it is a paired contest), i'm in... :p

Red

Red

Level 26
Well, then choose the theem with the highest appeal.
"paired" contests always scared me away. As if model creating wasn't hard enough...

...But hell, if anyone need a partner for next contest(and it is a paired contest), i'm in... :p

It's really not all that bad. As long as your partner isn't a lazy-ass and you set aside 15 minutes to agree on a concept and the distribution of work, the collaborative extent needn't be any more than "Here it is, now do your part to it."

Give it a try, you might like it. :D

It's really not all that bad. As long as your partner isn't a lazy-ass and you set aside 15 minutes to agree on a concept and the distribution of work, the collaborative extent needn't be any more than "Here it is, now do your part to it."

Give it a try, you might like it. :D

Don't get how it's done xD one texturer on modeller? or 1 modeller plus 1 animater?

Red

Red

Level 26
No limits on production role, so you could do...

-Modeler/Animator+Texturer
-Modeler/Texturer+Animator
-Modeler+Texturer/Animator (Oddball?)
That's also not counting scenarios where the modeling/texturing/animating work is shared between the two

EDIT: Hell, if you can't find a texturer, you could just pair a modeler and animator and use in-game textures, why not?

Even if you don't have any buddies who could do either of the three roles, the last paired contest even had a parallel recruitment thread where total strangers basically just posted what they could do, and made teams - many of which were pretty damn successful!

No limits on production role, so you could do...

-Modeler/Animator+Texturer
-Modeler/Texturer+Animator
-Modeler+Texturer/Animator (Oddball?)
That's also not counting scenarios where the modeling/texturing/animating work is shared between the two

Even if you don't have any buddies who could do either of the three roles, the last paired contest even had a parallel recruitment thread where total strangers basically just posted what they could do, and made teams - many of which were pretty damn successful!

Okay, and i'll remember to read up on the subject before asking stupid questions next time.

Don't think the actual compitition is started yet, its just a suggestion as far as i can se :)

it is just a suggestion yes, however, getting a head start at finding a partner can be an advantage, and its not an advantage that is prohibited. Thats what happened last time to me >.< everyone already had a partner

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Well, I might be joining if I find a modeller to work with. Catch me in the chat if you're interested, I won't be subscribing to the thread. /lazyass

Status
Not open for further replies.