• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paired Modelling Contest #2: Poll

Paired Modelling Contest #2 : Poll

• [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/arena-226/paired-modelling-contest-2-a-197451/index11.html#

Votes: 32 25.8%
  • [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/arena-226/paired-modelling-contest-2-a-197451/index12.html#

Votes: 29 23.4%
  • [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/arena-226/paired-modelling-contest-2-a-197451/index10.html#

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/arena-226/paired-modelling-contest-2-a-197451/index12.html#

Votes: 48 38.7%
  • [URL="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1963917-post104.html"]Mantis[/URL] by -Peper- and Izanagi

Votes: 4 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
This contest actually never happened. It was all just a big conspiracy directed at eubs and The Weird Human. The plan was to grab stock models from russian wc3 resource sites, and use them as contest submissions in order to get eubs and The Weird Human to make a model.

It was a genius plan that worked beautifully.

Level 26
6a00e54fb092d58834013487fcfa45970c-800wi

(as a note: Pyritie should already have my judging :p)

Level 22
This contest actually never happened. It was all just a big conspiracy directed at eubs and The Weird Human. The plan was to grab stock models from russian wc3 resource sites, and use them as contest submissions in order to get eubs and The Weird Human to make a model.

Yea, the plan was a success. Didn't know it takes time to choose space models.

well that other judge finally got his shit together and submitted his results (god that ass is so lazy)
so we should get the results page soon enough.

ALSO.... why didnt anyone slap pyritie and happycock upside their stupid heads when they tried to submit bugs so a space contest?

I asked prior to the contest, and was given the answer they were allowed.

So, why didn't they just PM us both... we'll be creating models for them if they want to... haha...

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
oh sure, they're allowed, but they dont fit the goddamn theme. bugs physically can not function in space.... period.

Half true. Zerg's have been adapten to space-traveling via power of Overmind. In Sc2 it is belived that by his will and might those creatures (mostly air ones) envolved gaining new abilities. This is one of them.

Since both entries (which you're talking about) fits zerg army - I can say that you are wrong, and points shouldn't be cut for theme if you were going to do so.
Furthermore: Constest theme: Space Craft -> Zergs live in 'Star Craft' - pretty simillar, ain't it?

Level 31
I hate to join in here (just kidding I love to), but the theme is infact "spacecraft"

As in, Space-Craft. Now, for a second, let's forget the fact that having wings on a space bug...for space...is utterly retarded, and note the fact that bugs AREN'T FUCKING CRAFT.

Half true. Zerg's have been adapten to space-traveling via power of Overmind. In Sc2 it is belived that by his will and might those creatures (mostly air ones) envolved gaining new abilities. This is one of them.

Since both entries (which you're talking about) fits zerg army - I can say that you are wrong, and points shouldn't be cut for theme if you were going to do so.
Furthermore: Constest theme: Space Craft -> Zergs live in 'Star Craft' - pretty simillar, ain't it?

So because the starcraft mythos is inheritly retarded, we should adopt sed retardation? "Not breathing" isn't an ability. It's just a retarded filler to a bad mythos hole. Not to mention, there aren't many zerg units that are vacuum proof. (none that I can think of)

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
Then starcraft would have only two races.. shame..
Man it's all about idea and creativify. I bet those moders chose bugs because they were inspired by zerg race - and there is nothing wrong with it.

I love that Pharaoh_ has raped most of barriers in coder's contest (and to be honest, he does the same in every contest that he hosts) because it sucks how limited contest's theme can be.

Don't you think that creativity should be prority?

Level 31
I'd say you'd be even more creative to use what's given to you, and not have to go beyond the parameters already set. So yes. :3

It's not an issue of how good starcraft is. The issue is that space craft is space craft.

And in space, wings and gravity don't make a whole lot of sense.

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
Why I'm starting to think that you are protecting theme so much because your team has space ship instead of some space being?

You are starting to be arogant. I though moding community is friendly, meaby I was wrong. Glad that coding comunity is much more. I just came here to say my opinion, you have different - thats great, I respect that you have differend meaning of 'space craft'. Games would lose a lot if they would follow such restriction.

I'd say you'd be even more creative to use what's given to you
And you know what? They had be given the right to upload their sight on 'space craft'.
Let the Pyritie and Happy teams spoke about it.

Nobody said nothing when I uploaded our WIP... We just thought of the theme as a landscape, and due to our own dumbness, forgetfulness and stupidity we didn't consider the theme as a real/physical context.
we just decided to put eyecandy over physics...

We thought about wings not making sense... but they would look aesthetically good on the model. Wing-less looked boring as hell - So they're there - models are aesthetic after all.

also, in-game, we're gonna see those models overflying the surface more than in the nearly vacuum, just like Carriers, Battlecruisers, Scouts and Scourges do in Starcraft. having that in consideration, we thought a biological model would be worth it

sorry if that hurts your sense of justice or if, maybe, it runs the risk to ruin some of your (miserable) ambitions. If that is the case, you can bring this to such a level to disqualify us, would be great to the order and dignity of this contest to have 3 entries which are all legitimate.

EDIT: Also,
tumblr_ll7k8qWKV81qfwxr1o1_500.jpg

they didn't get crucified because of those videos where mutalisks fly across the space with their beautiful wings

Last edited:
Level 26
Why I'm starting to think that you are protecting theme so much because your team has space ship instead of some space being?

You are starting to be arogant. I though moding community is friendly, meaby I was wrong. Glad that coding comunity is much more. I just came here to say my opinion, you have different - thats great, I respect that you have differend meaning of 'space craft'. Games would lose a lot if they would follow such restriction.

I'd say you'd be even more creative to use what's given to you
And you know what? They had be given the right to upload their sight on 'space craft'.
Let the Pyritie and Happy teams spoke about it.

152290-albums921-picture50846.gif

Now as for bugs in space
152290-albums4710-picture47999.jpg

But i dont feel like repeating myself, so just wait to read my judging of the models.

well actually, if i am remembering correctly, the zerg couldnt start space travel before overmind had assimilated the overlords which then allowed zerg species to achieve surviveability and flight in a vacuum environment.

they didnt "evolve" space travel whenever they felt like it and because of overmind's "will and might"
overmind cant just feel like creating space travel.

overmind didnt evolve space creatures out of flying creatures. overlords in comparison to other flying zerg creatures come from completely different genetic background. for example, mutalisk comes from some sort of wasp like creature that used to live in an above-ground structure called hive. overlords were space-faring sentient creatures. you dont put two zerglings together for a hydralisk. zerglings come from sand dune runners which looked like dogs or something and hydralisks come from a species called slothien, giant caterpillar like things that were HERBIVORES. they are not genetically and evolutionarily related. this is why we dont have flying hydralisks on a whim.

thats from the starcraft 1 manual i had, gentlemen. not starcraft 2
hipster-ariel-template.jpg

also that cinematic that people always point out where the battle cruiser is getting its shit kicked out of mutalisks saying that they fly perfectly fine in space. does it not cross your mind that they may be just be flying in the high atmosphere and that there is air?
if not that, i dont ever remembering mutalisks fly out completely from orbit

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
@Pyramidhe@d You don't have to explain anything about zerg, furthermore anything about StarCraft at all. I've got all the books, read all Diablo/War/Sc history long time ago, and for sure I know from which create each zerg one come from (even on Sc wiki you can read those informations).

if not that, i dont ever remembering mutalisks fly out completely from orbit
Have you been playing sc1?

There is even short movie that shows that air zerg creatures travel across the planets without any problems.
If you read the history about mutalisks, you should know that along with overlords they are great space-runners. Guardians adapted this ability later, although in BroodWar it is said that both muta's air friends (+devourer) were free to fly everywhere they want (always controled by overmind). The only problem for them is fact that their potential is greatly reduced during such travel.

Read descriptions.
Mutalisk
Mutalisks are evolved from the mantis screamer from the desolate Dinares Sector. The mutalisk has retained its predecessor's ability to travel through both air and space, although what other forms of propulsion it may have aside from its wings are unknown.
Overlord
(...) and transport other zerg across the depths of space by carrying them within their shelled bodies.

@anarchianbedlam Nice pictures - I won't paste here and because it's.. bullshit?
Don't take everything so serious, let the contests be fun and entertaining. If all the entries looked like freaking battlecruises I wouldn't vote on any (= and most ppl coming here would be bored looking on same pictures. Gogo bugs!

Last edited:
Level 26
"although what other forms of propulsion it may have aside from its wings are unknown. " which is blizzard's way of saying "fucked if we know"

I mean at least when you have other sci-fi franchises like halo or star trek or something, they at least TRY to explain it and ground it (if even slightly) in reality. Big complex machines and math calculations, technology on the fringiest of sciences. warp drive and tachyon particles and photons. It may be technobabble gibberish, but at least they're TRYING.

Its like if the 2 guys who started blizzard were completely blazed at someone house and were all like "hey... hehe, hey bro. what if we made a game... hehe, and like, we had like BRO ARE YOU LISTENING.. i... i wanna tell you, so like what if we made a game and we have evil BUG creaturzes... hehe, but like, they could FLY in SPACE!"

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
Its like if the 2 guys who started blizzard were completely blazed at someone house and were all like "hey... hehe, hey bro. what if we made a game... hehe, and like, we had like BRO ARE YOU LISTENING.. i... i wanna tell you, so like what if we made a game and we have evil BUG creaturzes... hehe, but like, they could FLY in SPACE!"

I <3 you for that.

Dude, I bet you all (judges) are chosen because you are experienced and reliable moders (after all thats the idea about judges..) and no matter what you will write about those 'zergs' while judging I gonna respect that. I just wanted to share opinion that points for theme shouldn't been cut for them, not only because 'blizzard idea' was to bring bugs into space but also (as I see) that you haven't worned any of the participants about such issue ealier.

I just wanted to do a zerg thing because I wanted to do some funky animations, which you can't really do with a traditional spaceship

EDIT: yeah anarch your judging is pretty bullshit, we were told before we started that a zerg thing was okay, so you can't decide now that it wasn't

Last edited:
Level 31
I'd just like to note that, whoever it was who gave them the ok on making their model not even slightly fit the theme, should be burned with the molten hot lava of satan's jizz at some point. I mean sure, picking to make a non vacuun sealed bio model instead of, you know,..a craft...in space was sort of stupid, but at least we could have prevented it.

Level 26
just as a note: non of the space ships could fly in space neither. They just float in 1 direction. Just take an astronaut for instance: when he want to move in space he'd have to throw a wrench or something in the opposite direction. And I really don't see how rocket engines replace that. SO in theory the bug models would just have needed some infinite farting engine aswell.

ANd their models fit into that theme, because both of them are used for transportation, are crafted for that purpose by their race( Pyritie got that vacuum cleaner and HappyCockroach got those eggs). I'm slowly really getting tired of you trying to make arguments why someone did not play with the rules.

anarch is just pointing out that wings work by method of pushing liquid-like things (air acts like liquid) which causes opposite force which allows you to push up. wings would not work in space at all. Farting, yes. you create propellant. rockets work by, if i remember, by shoving enough force on one side(the propellent and the fire and the wooshing stuff i believe) which by newtons law, pushes the ship the opposite direction and we have motion. astronauts have little oxygen jets on their pack that allows them to maneuvre in the same manner. in essense, it works, like you mentioned, by throwing a wrench.

and anarch is saying that these creatures are simple more suitable and coherent if they were said to flying through air rather than vacuum. because their main modes of propulsion seems to be wings which do not work in space

Level 31
Also, bugs aren't craft. I don't know why it's so hard to just make something on theme. It's like we have a theme, and every time we try, people go to the very edge of the theme and step just slightly over ( though in this case they lept over ) the line. And everyone who doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about swarms around it and calls it "creative." Sillyness I say! Sillyness!

:3

pre-approved? i dont actually remember anyone asking "are wings allowed". i remember "are organics allowed" which i replied they werent ruled out. "are zerg like spaceships allowed". it wasnt ruled out. nothing was asked about wings. because why would you put flapping wings on a thing that travels through vacuum. i thought that was pretty common sense

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
Great organization here ;3

@Mr. BoB - obvious troll is obvious. Hope you won't envolve into org, that would be horrible uhh.. discasting.

Guys, meaby you're right - none said 'wings' (etc. bugs/beings) are allowed but as far as I can see no one was screaming they aren't allowed either - when both teams (Pyritie's & Happy's) were showing their entries. It seems to be a bit unfair.

In our codding community in such cases we usually cut the theme points to 50% - to 0% only when judge has told the guy that such project is not allowed and the participant ignored the warning. Although with 0% point in theme entry gets disqualified :S

Some solutions to the ever-occurring problems in modeling contests:

-More open ended themes:
Pros: This way people could make pretty much whatever the fuck the want and no one could complain that it doesn't fit the theme.​
Cons: With more freedom, participants will likely take their fringe concepts even farther, in an ever growing fight to keep modeling contests from ending in a reasonable amount of time.​
-More defined themes:
Pros: Entrants will have set guidelines of what is allowed and hopefully won't be able to make a non-fitting model and bullshit their way out of it.​
Cons: We've kinda been doing this already and what's been happening is participants ask if vague keywords like "hovertank" or "errgahnic" and when the host says it's allowed, they take it as an invitation to do whatever the fuck they want again. Also, stricter rules and themes means more asshole complaining that it "restricts their creativity" when in fact it does not. More defined guidelines means you have to be more creative, instead of just making something that fits the theme less than others.​
-Require entries to be pre-approved:
Pros: This will completely prevent bullshit entries as the host and other participants will be able to decide if the entry is valid or not before hand. It's all too common that a participants excuse for why their entry is acceptable is because no one told them before hand that it wasn't, even though they didn't post understandable WIPS prior to their submission. At the very least, having a deadline for WIPS (at the middle of the contest or something) would probably fix this, as well as give us a better idea of who's participating, AND encourage entrants to start working earlier.​
Cons- Ho boy....SO! I just KNOW that everyone is gonna complain about this one. "THE HOST IS TEH BIASED! This airplane is obviously a tank! IT SAYS SO IN THE NAME!" It will most likely lead to a lot of shitstorming in the contest thread (as if there isn't already) and lots of complains and people being butthurt.​

Just some suggestions, because whatever we're doing right now isn't working.

Status
Not open for further replies.