1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Melee Mapping Contest #4 - Poll

Discussion in 'Poll Depository' started by mafe, Apr 26, 2019.

?

Cast your vote up to 5 entries: (READ THE RULES below before voting)

Poll closed May 11, 2019.
  1. Lordaeron Plaza by XanderD

21.4%
  2. Hillsbrad Creek by Mr.Henci

50.0%
  3. Overgrown Center by DuckDuckGoose

7.1%
  4. The Consortium by Keito

25.0%
  5. Vile Reef by JaleVeliki

39.3%
  6. Stairs of Destiny by Ragnaros17

14.3%
  7. King and Country by Meerel

35.7%
  8. Forgotten Halls by mmtt

14.3%
  9. Veilswamp by Khaldaiel

3.6%
  10. Bandit's City by Rockstar356

21.4%
  11. The Time Gates by Twilight

14.3%
  12. Terrace Fields by Nudl9

21.4%
  13. Underground Oasis by Blood Raven

25.0%
  14. Venture Co. Shipyards by sentrywiz

3.6%
  15. Westfall Adventure by FranzVader_CZ

17.9%
  16. Guardians by Arrr

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Arrr yeah, my bad. It looks like in 2v2, teams are grouped each on one side of the map.
    In 2v2 however, there are way too many "free" mines.

2. Meerel

Meerel

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    am i allowed to post this thread on reddit?

3. Arrr

Arrr

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It was already posted there

4. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Finally managed to sit down and look at all the contest maps.

My vote goes to (random order):
    - Hillsbrad Creek by Mr.Henci
    - The Consortium by Keito
    - King and Country by Meerel
    - Terrace Fields by Nudl9
    - Guardians by Arrr

- sixth vote would go to: Bandit's City, which I thought was a simpler version of Guardians in both art and complexity.

I believe we had SO MUCH creative ideas which would be a waste to go unmentioned!

Honorable mentions:
    - Westfall adventure - nice direction, needs more balance and thought, very good!
    - Forgotten Halls - layout *idea
    - Lordaeron Plaza - middle area
    - Stairs of Destiny - epic theme
    - Time Gates - uniqueness
    - Underground Oasis - cave feel
    - Veilswamp - asymmetry and pentagon art
    - Venture Co. Shipyards - I love this, too bad its impossible for melee, please make a campaign Sentry, I'd play!!! :)

EDIT: As usual, I'll be giving more detailed feedback to whomever is interested :)

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  5. Haha nice idea. I'm getting better at melee, with each trial and error.

Yeah melee-wise its not balanced, I tried to mix up the melee experience with naval,
    this was the best idea I had at the time I found out undead shipyards were good.

6. Meerel

Meerel

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    so whats going on now, any information would be great

7. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Meerel Judges are doing what judges do,- judge. It takes time, the contest ended only 2 weeks ago, voting poll was closed yesterday. "Alll we need is just a little patience." Most of the time, it takes around 1 month for resulst to be announced.

8. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, I will need at least 2 more weeks before I'll be comfortable with my reviews.

9. Rockstar356

Rockstar356

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Since we have to wait for the judges I want to use that time to explain my votes in the poll and thus have something to read to pass the time: D
    I am going to say to whom I vote and why, I will also leave a little comment about the map at the end.

Let's start

I voted for:

Vile Reef by JaleVeliki
    Stairs of Destiny by Ragnaros17
    King and Country by Meerel
    Underground Oasis by Blood Raven
    I also wanted to vote for Hillsbrad Creek but I could not open the map and play it maybe due to problems with the version (I still use the old 1.26a)

What do I use to judge a map?
    - I'm not a judge, my reviews are not technical, basically I only rely on two things:
    1- Is the map playable?
    2- Is the map attractive to the eyes?

Explanation:
    1: A playable map for me is a map that is not too obstructed with excessive decorations, there should also be good distance between buildings, trees, roads, it should not be too tight but not too wide.
    The hostile units must be strong so that it is not boring, but not too much so that they do not put you in trouble, there must also be variety in the objects that they drop.
    2: This is the reason why many maps are lordaeron Summer, Village, Dalaran and other graphic sets that are attractive to the eyes, there are graphic sets that are difficult to make attractive to the player, such as black citadel or underground.
    However, here I have in mind all the graphic sets, in particular one of the ones I like most is lordaeron fallen and one of the ones I like the least is ashenvale, each set can look good, so I have in mind what the map looks like , not which set it uses.

Vile Reef

First impressions:
    The map is easy to understand, at the beginning you feel comfortable you do not have to worry about looking for the fields of creeps and neutral buildings because they are easily accessible.
    In the staff I do not like the rain so intense (because it shows instantly when entering the map) but the stage is very good and combines well.
    The terrain is good, it does not confuse the eyes.
    I do not like that there is a mercenary camp behind the base of a player (it's unbalanced, it's a gift for humans)
    The other fields of creeps are well located, they make you move around the map in a fun way (without areas where you can get stuck or be ambushed) creeps are quite strong in general
    but for a 2v2 map and ruins are super good.
    In general:
    It's a good map, very playable, it looks good and that's why it gets my vote in the poll.
    My criticism (trying to be constructive criticism)
    - The hostile creeps are quite difficult, it is not a problem but it is something to take into account.
    -The map is large, not only by size, but because there are many points such as two gold mines available for each player, four goblin stores, mercenary camp, red dot, this could be an advantage for a player of undead, and that this race takes advantage of these things to fill their heroes with good objects.
    But again it's not a problem, it's just a map feature.
    The double possibility of expansion for each player favors a game can become long, something that bores me personally, in addition, the fact that the mines have little gold forces you to expand and some races have problems with expansions,
    like the orcs, it's just an observation.
    -The mercenary camp behind the base of each player seems to me to be an unnecessary extra, especially because humans with militia will take advantage of it.

And those are all my criticisms about Vile Reef, the map is good (that's why you get my vote in the poll: D, good job JaleVeliki !!!)

Stairs of Destiny

First impressions:
    Personally I like the graphic set Black Citadel, although it is difficult to work with, so I like this map, because it is nice to start and that is not easy to achieve with this set.
    The initial creeps are fine, the first zatiro with that curse scares a little, but it is not really difficult to kill it and the objects that drop the first green fields are well related to the strength of the hostile creeps.
    The shape of the map is very funny, it is very original and it is easy to understand, you just need a look and everything is clear in your mind. It favors the team game which makes it even more fun.
    I love the way in which each thing is, each field of creep, each neutral building, is comfortable, accessible and fun.
    I find it difficult to find reviews about this map because I liked it a lot but here is the only thing I did not like:
    -I personally like the maps have a story (however ridiculous it may be). Seeing that it only has a description of what the map contains does not put you in context.
    In general I liked this map, it is especially fun, it is difficult to do a technical review when a map is so nice, because you do not find anything that you do not like, so this review is rather short, maybe many players do not appreciate the citadel Black, but I really liked the map and that's why I got my vote in the poll, Great job Ragnaros17 !!!

King and Country

First impressions:
    At the beginning it seems a simple map with a clear idea, I like that a lot, the scenary is very well, it is very detailed and above all it does not obstruct the gameplay.
    The position of the neutral buildings is very good since they are in true neutral positions on the map.
    As for the terrain and the scenery are very well combined, I like that the cliffs and decorations are in harmony, nothing is forced and the water areas give a very good design touch to the map.
    Critics:
    -The areas of the goblin stores and the mercenary camps are somewhat tight, but it's not a problem, it's just a map feature.
    -I found a bug, I'm not aware of whether you already know it or not, anyway I'll say it. In one of the gold mines of the center (those that are protected by a red field of creeps) specifically the one that is south-west can not be built,
    I'll leave a screenshot so you can see it.
    In addition to this there are no more criticisms to make to this map.
    In general:
    It is a very attractive and fun map to play, so get my vote in the poll. I think you did a good job here Mereel !!!

Underground Oasis

First impressions:
    The idea of the map is interesting, at first you find yourself with little-seen lighting and it's very nice. The design of the map is very good, details can be seen in each place, it has many complements and together with the terrain they achieve a very good combination,
    The neutral buildings are all in good positions and also the hostile units that defend them, combine well with the map, are interesting and fun.
    Critics:
    -The only thing that I could mention is something that I personally do not like but it does not affect the map and it is only an opinion, the lights that appear in the base each player seem an unnecessary aggregate, besides they do not combine with the idea of the map,
    Moonlight under the earth does not make much sense to me.
    And that's it, I did not find anything wrong with this map.
    In general the design of the map is good, I like how everything combines, the idea is clear, the positions of the neutral buildings is good and also the map is interesting and comfortable to play is for all this that receives my vote in the poll.
    I think you did a very good job here Blood Raven !!!

Attached Files:

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I mean, this is hardly fair, not to see all content before voting.

11. Rockstar356

Rockstar356

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Really, I do not understand o_O

12. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Weowie look at these voters not reviewing all the maps before making a judgement.
    Let's not get all my friends to vote for me so i can win the contest.
    It's almost as if this poll wasn't a popularity contest.

Who would have thought?

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    or just stumbled upon it. It's besides the point. You don't just get absolved because of that.

14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I didn't humiliate anyone. You're overexaggerating again. Keito was very clear on why the vote was made that way. Rockstar didn't make it look like he even tried to do something about that map he couldn't open before voting. The difference is, hypocrisy.

15. mafe

mafe

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    XanderD has decided to leave the hiveworkshop and cancel their participation in the contest.

16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    There are no contest rules pertaining how one is supposed to vote other people's entries. That would be weird.

I hope you solve what difficulties you have encountered.
    Why would it be related anyway!?

Also, maybe he didn't want that message to be public since it was in a private conversation?
    Sorry for him. Hope he's doing well.

17. Meerel

Meerel

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    i just going to say that after ragnaros told me i fixed it and the updated version is allready up since may 5th. but thats of course not the version that will be judged.

not sure whats going on here otherwise, just chill :infl_thumbs_up:

18. Rockstar356

Rockstar356

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I played all the maps before voting, for that reason I did not vote for Hillsbrad Creek, because I could not play it.
    Playing a map and doing a review (although this is not excellent) are two different things, playing it helps you make a quick decision whether you like it or not and doing a review takes a lot longer, so I only did it with the maps which I chose
    Personally I do not like the Restor method of comparation.
    It does not seem effective, or fair.
    I just chose the maps that I liked, nothing more, I made my comment about why I voted those maps because I found it funny and I always like to read comments about my maps, so I thought that those who made these maps would also like to .
    I was 100% well-meaning, no sarcasm.
    And I want to believe that I'm not hypocritical... :(

And as for the error that I mentioned maybe I was wrong, I did not think it was wrong to publish it.
    I'm sorry if that bothers someone.
    I stumbled upon that mistake playing.
    But I did not change my opinion about the map because an error is human and is not part of the map.
    The map does not stop liking me for an error.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  19. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Don't worry, it's a popularity contest.
    Nobody really cares.

20. Mr.Henci

Mr.Henci

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Rockstar356 No worries buddy. You already did more than 99% of people who voted.

@Ragnaros17 ,@deepstrasz calm down boys :D No need for drama on Hive. (Maybe I should start a Hivedrama YT channel? :D It seems to be popular atm.)

@Nudl9 Why the hate for the poll? I mean, sure, it has its flaws, but instead of just critising it, you should give us a better example of how to do it in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.