• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

LOS walls using doodads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I asked a similar question before, apparently there is another way, using actual units with the locust ability and adding occluder height to it.

Level 26
Now would units be more performant? Afaik there are no primitive fogmodifier blockers, so it have to be widgets or cliffs. Maybe you can merge them, what is the max pathing map size anyway? A postproc tool could help but tga becomes big pretty fast. Or you load the walls dynamically on runtime when there are units nearby that could be affected.

Level 23
Or you load the walls dynamically on runtime when there are units nearby that could be affected.

This was definitely the option I was initially considering.
Perhaps I need to clarify the following.
- The number of blockers is the cause and not actual area covered Y/N? This if larger and fewer blocker are used, this can alleviate the problem?

Level 14
If you want a performant solution, use cliffs (also works if you turn your cliffs into ramps).

I use this^ method and cover the cliffs with doodads to make walls etc. If I cannot use cliffs then I just use custom pathing blockers and increase the occlusion height. You can make pathing blockers that are 4x12 or 12x4 or 8x4 or 8x2 etc. Just mess around with the pathing map field in the editor. This way you don't actually have to create your own.

Level 23
I use this^ method and cover the cliffs with doodads to make walls etc. If I cannot use cliffs then I just use custom pathing blockers and increase the occlusion height. You can make pathing blockers that are 4x12 or 12x4 or 8x4 or 8x2 etc. Just mess around with the pathing map field in the editor. This way you don't actually have to create your own.

That is the method Im currently using.

Status
Not open for further replies.