• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Path and Sight blocking for flying units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
It seems others have had this question, but wherever I look, no one has a solution. Nevertheless, I figure it is worth asking still.
Consider a flying thing in a dungeon. It cannot see through the walls or travel through them. That is what I am trying to do with this map. I can use pathing blockers to block flying units, but their vision isn't blocked. Line of Sight blockers don't block vision of flying units either. Is it true that there is no way to block the vision of a flying unit? Or what is there in the editor that can be used to block flying unit vision?

Thank you for your thoughts! :grin:

Level 7
You just need a ground unit that has no unit collision. I believe the Ghost (Visible) ability does this.

To clarify, the unit would use the Float/Hover movement type, be Targeted as Air, and have the Ghost (Visible) ability.
This is useful and clever and probably what I will settle for.
Sounds like you don't need a Flying unit then.
Thinking through this, you are absolutely correct, excepting the case that I failed to include in my description/request: there are places on my map where the cliffing is uneven, like cliffing within a room of the dungeon. In these places, it would make sense for flying units to be able to cross those cliffs, thus requiring flying movement (and why I would need a vision and movement blocker for all other cliffs, not matching this scenario).

If no one has a solution for this, I will probably just do what you have described, and deal without the flying movement. I may also give such units the "blink" ability too. Thanks @Uncle !

Status
Not open for further replies.