• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] List of WarCraft III Crashes

Yes, you are right Draco.
However, you aren't allowed to move an item when it's about being dropped. It will crash.
Same goes for trying to give dropped item to an other unit. (attached in demo)

My own problem was that, like you explained the item was really just dropped, when I moved it. (I just looped through all items, and some of them were inside inventory)
And I just saw the crash. The problem was actually, that items inside inventory were dropped, and triggered a Item_Drop trigger, which again instantly called the function to MoveAllItems -> infinite loop, and crash.

Attachments

• item test.w3x
    28.8 KB · Views: 129
Level 6
Hey people, ive got a little problem. When i was importing an icon (see attached files) and created a spell with it, it crashed the world editor. I think the icon is not a tga file, like it was supposed to be :/. When i want to open the map, after re-opening the world editor, it crashed again (see attached files). Any ideas how to fix that?

Attachments

• 0026.tga
    4.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 0027.PNG
    0027.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 160
Level 2
I've run on some Custom ability game crashes.

Custom Hardened Skin as based off the race: Night-Elf. - Causes game to crash after map finished loading.
I fixed this by basing it off the Neutral Passive Hardened Skin, instead. Somehow it worked and game doesn't crash anymore.

Custom Anti-magic Shell as based off the race: Undead. - Causes game to crash after map finished loading.
I fixed this by basing it off, of the Neutral Hostile Anti-magic Shell, instead. Somehow it worked and game doesn't crash anymore.

(More to come: Custom Phoenix, Custom Flame Strike, Custom summon Mountain Giant.)
Custom Summon Mountain Giant, is based off of the Summon Bear ability.

Any knowlegde of why these causes a game crash, will be helpful. Though I will fix them myself and post how I did it unless, you already have.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Any knowlegde of why these causes a game crash, will be helpful. Though I will fix them myself and post how I did it unless, you already have.
Sounds like a problem with your install, or maybe some trigger interaction. The crashes could even be caused by something else in your map accessing memory in an unsafe way that just happens to be touching custom abilities so changing them causes crashes randomly.

Level 2
Sounds like a problem with your install, or maybe some trigger interaction. The crashes could even be caused by something else in your map accessing memory in an unsafe way that just happens to be touching custom abilities so changing them causes crashes randomly.

Yeah I just found out.. it's really weird because I have about 120 custom abilities, but of course they're all splitted in different sections for different races, orc, night-elf, human neutral etc.
BUT if I copy the map 1 time for each section of abilities, it I could determine those abilities to create the crashes.

I tried to recreate the abilities and test the map, each map with the recreated ability. This happended to work properly, and no crashes occured when doing this.
Then I of course added those recreated abilities back to the original map, and removed the crashing ones.
This is the weird part, even tho those new added working abilities worked in their seperate map, they go back to crashing the game when together.. lol

I believe also it might be something with my installer, some that probably causes the world editor not to add the values to the custom ability somehow. But for now, I'll just try and overcome the problem with another solution than having to try and reinstall it all..

(EDIT)
Also I don't have any triggers that takes any actions with those abilities, just the variable setting for each ability, but that should not be a problem, since that's done with every single ability, and all others than those works.

Level 7
If someone else can test this it would be good.

In Windows 10, if you right click on the Save As window (like to create a new folder, for instance), World Editor will crash.

@Dr Super Good already tested this problem, and it only happened with me, so it's a local problem, nothing with WE.

Last edited:
Level 4
Removing a tree instantly when it dies crashes the game. I've found adding a slight delay before the removal prevents it.
  • Crystal Tree Death
    • Events
      • Destructible - A destructible within (Playable map area) dies
    • Conditions
      • (Destructible-type of (Dying destructible)) Equal to Felwood Tree Wall
    • Actions
      • Destructible - Remove (Dying destructible)

Level 13
If you increase the level of some auras of a dead unit it crashes the game. I've come across this crash in 2 of my maps i've been working on so i know it's reproducible. In both cases the abilities were based on Unholy Aura. Regular abilities seem to level up fine if the unit is dead, but i wouldn't put money on all non-aura abilities being fine.

Level 5
Triggers creating eating units on unit death with the health and mana of the triggering(dead) unit. Pretty obvious, all things considered, as it spawns a unit with zero health. I know it's exactly zero health in the case I saw because I tested the trigger with a modified Death and Decay set to 100% max life damage per second.

It's important to note this because WorldEdit uses the health and mana of the triggering unit as the default, so not knowing this makes on-death spawns a lot more complicated.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Triggers creating eating units on unit death with the health and mana of the triggering(dead) unit. Pretty obvious, all things considered, as it spawns a unit with zero health. I know it's exactly zero health in the case I saw because I tested the trigger with a modified Death and Decay set to 100% max life damage per second.

It's important to note this because WorldEdit uses the health and mana of the triggering unit as the default, so not knowing this makes on-death spawns a lot more complicated.

Could you please share what triggers you're talking about? This didn't make sense.

Level 5
Could you please share what triggers you're talking about? This didn't make sense.
Event: If a unit dies
Condition: Death and Decay equals Death and Decay; True(this means the unit has to be effected by D&D when it dies)
Action: Replace with a Ghoul with health and mana equal to triggering unit.

Basically, it replaces the dead unit with a zero health ghoul, which causes the crash.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Condition: Death and Decay equals Death and Decay; True(this means the unit has to be effected by D&D when it dies)
This makes no sense. You are testing if something is itself so it is basically always true? Like testing if 1 == 1.
Basically, it replaces the dead unit with a zero health ghoul, which causes the crash.
It will crash due to infinite loop. It will create a Ghoul, kill the Ghoul (due to 0 HP) and so create another Ghoul which it also kills... And so on.

Level 3
Hello, I am trying to create a map using custom units & sounds, I am adding original sound files from LOTR:BFME. The unit models are fine, the editor is saving without a problem, but when I try to edit a sound file, f.e. editing knight's quotes, and then save, the editor blocks at "Creating Map Archive" and the "App not responding screen" pops. If I close the editor and the map is not saved, any idea why this is happening? Can it be because the game is not original, and the version I have it's 1.26. I tried different editors, but the result was the same.
P.S. sorry if this is not where I should've posted it but I could not find an answer anywhere :D.
Thanks!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Can it be because the game is not original, and the version I have it's 1.26.
Buy the game and update to the latest version.

Your problem is likely the editor having insufficient permission to write the required files to complete the map save operation. Try running it as administrator or update to the latest version which fixes such problems.

Level 3
Buy the game and update to the latest version.

Your problem is likely the editor having insufficient permission to write the required files to complete the map save operation. Try running it as administrator or update to the latest version which fixes such problems.

Ok thanks for help, Ill try to run it using admin, if it won't work ill buy it:D.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
it won't help anyhow, ur models are broken, not the game. DSG just promoting everybody to do stupid shit and he was never right about all his "piracy" theories
Since when is buying the greatest game to mod a stupid call?

Stupid is a lot of things, but buying a legit copy of WC3 will never be a bad call (if you can get it for twenty bucks or less).

I paid 40 for RoC and 30 for TFT. Provided tens of thousands of hours entertainment and learned a fuckload from nodding it

Reactions: pyf

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
whenever somebody calls it as a cure from any possible crash while actually official patches do only add more w/o fixing any relevant. Its not about if piracy is good or not, its about context
Pirated versions often contain modified executables which contain malware. If the game works properly after this is doubtful. Yes the executables of pirated WC3 versions after the NO-CD patch are often still different from the actual game, despite there being no moral reason for this.

The new patches also fixed a boat load of bugs with newer OSes. If the bugs should have existed in the first place is another question likely answered by sloppy 2003 programming, but they did exist until the recent patches fixed them.

Level 13
It's not really off topic though... it would be foolish to assume a pirated/altered copy of the game would work as faithfully as an original copy.

BTW Britney, on the topic of off-topic

Unit which has negative health amount in the datatable will not die, nothing can kill him, at all.

Does this legit cause a crash or is this just more of your noise in this thread?

Level 2
shame on u, games from 2001 easily crackable with 100% restore, at least most of them. there are no official wc3 in many countries, yet we've never had any issues.

negative health shouldnt cause crash, at least it didnt for me

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
shame on u, games from 2001 easily crackable with 100% restore, at least most of them. there are no official wc3 in many countries, yet we've never had any issues.
With exception of a select few countries sanctioned by the United States of America such as Iran, North Korea, Syria, Sudan, etc, it is perfectly fine to buy in a licence of WC3 from anywhere in the world and use it. One can download any locale of WC3 with any valid WC3 CD Key attached to your Blizzard accounts, not just the locale the key was issued for. If you are from one of those select countries that are not allowed to play Warcraft III then Blizzard does not care as they are not legally allowed to care (blame USA not them). If you are too poor to buy Warcraft III that still does not change the fact that stealing it is still theft so a crime in most countries so there is no moral justification.
negative health shouldnt cause crash, at least it didnt for me
So why mention this in a thread about crashes?

Level 2
just about the same reason you're bitching about nonsense like piracy in this thread. NONE of known wc3 crashes EVER related to pirated/official version only. Stop spreading misinform.

Level 13
I've found if a custom AI script for a custom race doesn't have enough space to build a base,
it crashes the game if you attack that base in game while it is fully built up to its maximum.

Level 3
I've found out that if you use way too much Apply Height, world editor may crash at some points you try to apply height.

nope i was wrong, world editor crashes when you try to apply heigt at somewhere that has no height like deep water only maps.

'-' this make me look like i am stupid but i were right all along, sorry for my bad english.

Level 13
If you have two different auras (e.g. Devotion Aura and Endurance Aura) and give them the same buff, it will crash the game when you have units with the aura within aura range of each other. Probably pretty obvious, but the first time i've ever encountered it.

Level 1
Hello, I have very strange crashing bug, this one does not actually happen "in-game" or in the editor. I've been editing/patching a map of mine. I saved it and went to test it in game (not though the quick test thing in the world editor) But when I selected it in Custom games, from where you select your map to start in the menus. Warcraft 3 crashes, It is crashing simply from selecting the map in the download menu, it specifically does this for that map, and only after my very recent edit (had tested some triggers ingame with it just fine, mere minutes before.
All I did was make a trigger, a Trigger of any kind should not take any effect before you even load the map, right? I also know I did not import anything in quite a while, and I made sure, as always, to save manually and not close the Editor then tell it to save when it asks, I know that breaks random custom imports of all kinds.
I can still load it in editor just fine; With that i also tried saving it as another name, deleting it and starting up WC3, then closing WC3 then putting it back, but I have not tried reinstalling WC3 as that is a huge hassle that I've done many times in the past for other things, and it is for sure something wrong with this one map all the sudden.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Hello, I have very strange crashing bug, this one does not actually happen "in-game" or in the editor. I've been editing/patching a map of mine. I saved it and went to test it in game (not though the quick test thing in the world editor) But when I selected it in Custom games, from where you select your map to start in the menus. Warcraft 3 crashes, It is crashing simply from selecting the map in the download menu, it specifically does this for that map, and only after my very recent edit (had tested some triggers ingame with it just fine, mere minutes before.
All I did was make a trigger, a Trigger of any kind should not take any effect before you even load the map, right? I also know I did not import anything in quite a while, and I made sure, as always, to save manually and not close the Editor then tell it to save when it asks, I know that breaks random custom imports of all kinds.
I can still load it in editor just fine; With that i also tried saving it as another name, deleting it and starting up WC3, then closing WC3 then putting it back, but I have not tried reinstalling WC3 as that is a huge hassle that I've done many times in the past for other things, and it is for sure something wrong with this one map all the sudden.
That's either a syntax error or an infinite thread loop.

Level 10
This is a very odd one:
When you have a research which requires a certain unit, and that structure references at "building equivalents" a building it was upgraded from, selecting the building that offers the upgrade (meaning, being able to see the tech's requirenent) causes a game crash similar to a infinite thread loop.

just about the same reason you're bitching about nonsense like piracy in this thread. NONE of known wc3 crashes EVER related to pirated/official version only. Stop spreading misinform.

The problem is not that there is no specific crash rekated to pirated wc3 versions. The Problem is that pirated versions are prone to corrupt data. That is not a specific problem for pirated versions, this happens also, but far less oftem with normal versions, which is why it is not that obvious, but it is a problem that occurs far more often with pirated and cracked versions, meaning that you have to reinstall the game more often to fix stuff. I ran into that wgile using a 1.26 version for gameranger while having my official one up to date.

Last edited:
Level 1
Hm I think it is an infinite thread loop with the trigger I made somehow, I disabled them and now the map is loadable. Annoying because the Trigger was a major quality of life thing... but I suppose not absolutely necessary DX. Though the 2nd trigger that I added disabled, was supposed to give a hero str for each unit of a spefic type they own, a Zombie hoard powering their hero, That's probably what did it sadly.

Last edited:
Level 6
I've been making a personal map, and when clicking certain buildings, the game crashes?? How can I fix i t??

Also, the only changes i made are with custom units