• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Game crash when unit gains xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey guys, im having an issue in my custom map where any time my unit gains XP the game simply closes.
This happens when a hero is near a dying unit, when it selects an xp tome. If i set the level of the hero before playing the map, the map will close instantly before getting into the game.

Note that killing enemy units with regular units is no issue, its only hero units that crash.

I currently have no custom triggers or anything, but i have a ton of custom units, abilities and custom models loaded.

This will happen even if i have only 1 hero unit in the game (preloaded) and kill just 1 creep.

another issue is the game crashing when selecting particular buildings. altars for example crash the game.

If anyone has any idea on what would cause these crashes id love to hear from you!

Level 3
Have you modified the game play constants at all?

As Dat-C3 suggests, providing the map for manual debugging is a good idea.

Its not really much of a map, its just a messy collection of ideas at the moment, just working out the factions and planning on level design down the track so its almost exclusively unit/spell data with imported custom models etc.

i was hoping that it would be a common issue that the community would be well aware of but i couldnt find anything online about my specific issue so i thought id ask the community myself.

What are the constants? are they the constants accessible in the campaign editor or elsewhere? because i havent meddled with the campaign constants (didnt know they existed but im pretty excited to mess with them once this bug is ironed out!), but i have lightly tinkered with the player properties/tech properties etc. but im not sure how that would affect leveling and i reset all of that back to default.

Level 3
Oh also i dont have a proper internet connection, just going through mobile tethering and have reached 75% usage in 2 days :S so im being stingy with my data sorry!

Level 3
It's possible some of the models/textures are crashing, go though all your imports in the editor to check with object editor's unit tab with icon and model to check both.
I highly doubt its the imports. Just deleted all of the imports, cleared the map, added 1 hero and 1 creep and saved it as a separate file, loaded it, got the hero to kill the creep and the game crashed instantly just the same as before.

The map works fine when i kill enemies without heroes nearby, it just seems that something is bugged with the way xp works, and i dont remember messing with anything related to that. the game wont load when any hero on the map is anything other than just level 1 with 0 xp, for example if i set a hero to level 2 in the map editor the map crashes on load. It definitely seems tied to XP, i just tested a hero picking up an xp tome and it crashes as soon as he gets to it

Level 3
Ok, so update for anyone concerned, i did the legwork myself and started culling everything from my map to isolate the problem, once everything was gone it started to work fine, so i reloaded the base map and started culling abilities, units & imports separately, long story short is that i isolated the issue to a single unit which was a turret that was sold by another unit. i have no idea why that would interfere with heroes earning XP, and i overwrote the previous version of the map with the unit still in it so i cant isolate it further unfortunately. Strange bug though where a unit in the unit list that wasnt even on the map would cause the game to crash when a hero gained XP

Level 3
Process of elimination. That's the best self-debugging method I know. Good work.
took forever though -_-
Still not sure how a single unit that wasnt even on the map was causing the game to crash whenever a hero was 1 xp above level 1 :/

Status
Not open for further replies.