• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is Warcraft III dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
So, after half of my raiding guild on World of Warcraft have gone on Holiday because of the arrival of August, i decided to crawl back to warcraft III for a week for some fun, about after a year or so of not playing it.

But to me, the game appears dead, atleast on Europe, it's always the same custom games being hosted and there's a real lack of vareity. And also, there seems to be far less games hosted in a few refreshing sessions than i remember from a year ago.

The general channels also seem to be almost empty most of the time.

So, is it dead, dying or alive?

Level 11
In my opinion,it's far from dead,maybe that's on battle.net what u are saying,but in my opinion,on garena it's totally different :D
Also,there is this modding community,and also others,and clan sites,and so all,and they keep living,updating,comming with new stuff,new maps,etc etc,so it's far from dead :p

Level 22
^ how? if not the hostbots this PoS called bnet would've died earlier. At least hostbots gave reason some to stay at bnet giving better connection some say as good as Garena, I wouldn't say as garena, but it did make CG better. Then again most with a brain moved to Garena were they to play war3, so screw bnet.

Level 17
It would be better for a great game like WC3 to have a quick and painful death instead of having the life being sucked out of it by hosting bots.
Because clearly, there are much better games around now to play - both competitively and fun.

Level 6
I personally think Hosting Bots have improved it for some people due to the fact not "EVERYONE" can host manually so for some hosting bots are Heaven, I like WC III is not dead yet but is on its last stand, Due to the fact of many people still playing and enjoying most of the games. And Yes Dota 2 could be WC III's Grim Reaper, if it succeeds which most of us here would most likely say it has already failed since it is Dota. This is my opinion on whether the game is Dead,Alive, or dying. I do not care if you do not agree with my opinion everyone has their own.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Its kind of funny that the majority (as far as I've seen) of maps being created in the map development section are all multiplayer, it makes no sense to make multiplayer maps if multiplayer is dead.
Just switch over to single player games, at least those will keep Wc3 alive.

Level 30
Nah. Gaming is just dead.
It all got killed by drugs, alcohol and girls who don't think slightly nerdy people are unattractive. At least for me. Honestly, stop whining about warcraft/starcraft/hive dying. If you think about it, it all sucks anyway. Besides, everything is bound to die so get used to it.
Being on the internet has gotten cool. You can all have lives now.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Nah. Gaming is just dead.
It all got killed by drugs, alcohol and girls who don't think slightly nerdy people are unattractive. At least for me. Honestly, stop whining about warcraft/starcraft/hive dying. If you think about it, it all sucks anyway. Besides, everything is bound to die so get used to it.
Being on the internet has gotten cool. You can all have lives now.

Can I trade back my life towards the price of a new RTS game?
BTW girls better start hating nerds again -.- I'm getting bored of having to talk to them...:ogre_icwydt:

Level 19
Well, who knows, anything could happen in Blizzard. Warcraft III could jolly well be as alive as it was before as long as people continue to mod and play, it just depends, really.

Level 15
I doubt WC 3 is dead. Even with many great games are continuously flowing out these coming years, WC 3 will remain a classic and a fan-favorite game.

In my experience, I was so thrilled to play SC 2 but then again its not like any other Blizzard games we used to played. I mean its really fun but they scrapped out most of the rights to create fan made maps and show them onto these site. Btw Battle.Net looks good enough but seriously bring back LAN, Blizzard.

Level 17
Wc3 hasn't been the same ever since the arrival of hosting bots - a slow and steady decay.

Ain't that the truth!

The reason it's dying is because of 2 things; hosting bots and makemehost.com

Almost no one checks the custom games list anymore because it's absolutely fucking filled with random #324234 bot games. Most people survey MMH game queue, because you know it's a person hosting it.

But even then, since you need to upload a map to MMH and wait for it to be approved (Which takes for fucking ever, so you might as well forget about it), you can't really host anything except for the selection that's there. Granted, big selection, but it isn't getting updated. So yeah, it isn't quite dead because I still manage to find games, and ironically the Wc3 roleplaying community is actually staggeringly big considering the circumstances, but it's dying off pretty quick.

Funnily enough, makemehost.com is also keeping it alive right now. It's at a point where if the site shut down, no one would play/host jack shit. So makemehost is life supporting Wc3, but it's going to pull the wire eventually.

Level 9
WC3 is still kicking, and will do so for a few more years...at least until we get WC4...perhaps even some time later...

In any case, look at the facts-its an easily modified, simple to manipulate system that gives you a platform to make your own stuff up without being a real developer, its almost every gamer's dream...

Sure SC2 is now out there too, but there is a difference between the two, I personally am more attracted to the fantasy style games then sci-fi ones, so I stick to WC3...I DID play SC2, and intend to play every new content that will show up, but once I'm done with it I'll go back to my good old WC3 where I can have my fun doing nonsense in the WE that is not likely to ever be done or published just because I enjoy doing it and it hones my creativity, a win no matter what happens with it.

So yes, WC3 is going to stick around for quite a while...

And actually is makemehost dies, it might give a boost to the community's custom game running, because people will know that most stuff out there are real players hosting...

Level 19
I'll never replace Warcraft III with any other game though, not Starcraft II or Dota 2 (although I wouldn't mind buying them as well), they just don't give me the same experience I do from usual games.

Level 22
ESWC cancels WC3 event, opens registration (more slots open for SC2)
War3 will not be on Blizzcon 2011 too.

It's DEAD
DEAD
D-E-A-D

Get it? Stop being ignorant. No one counts a mapmaking community when deciding if a game is alive or not.

All who wanted to play a newer game after years of this game 9 years now, are in sc2. In fact I see even more names from war3 than from broodwar.

Also with latest patch of SC2 on PTR they are going to simplify the Data editor and some other things a little. What more do you want? If you want advanced editor, it wont get any easier. You wont get a World Editor Unlimited with just more fields and triggers. They add some new triggers and simplify the Data editor... You just refuse to learn something new. If there were war4 it would also have a more complex editor, what woud you say then? ,...

If even after this patch comes you decide it's too hard for you,. its your problem, it wont get any easier for any future game that makes a more and more advanced editor..

Level 9
ESWC cancels WC3 event, opens registration (more slots open for SC2)
War3 will not be on Blizzcon 2011 too.

It's DEAD
DEAD
D-E-A-D

Get it? Stop being ignorant. No one counts a mapmaking community when deciding if a game is alive or not.

All who wanted to play a newer game after years of this game 9 years now, are in sc2. In fact I see even more names from war3 than from broodwar.

Also with latest patch of SC2 on PTR they are going to simplify the Data editor and some other things a little. What more do you want? If you want advanced editor, it wont get any easier. You wont get a World Editor Unlimited with just more fields and triggers. They add some new triggers and simplify the Data editor... You just refuse to learn something new. If there were war4 it would also have a more complex editor, what woud you say then? ,...

If even after this patch comes you decide it's too hard for you,. its your problem, it wont get any easier for any future game that makes a more and more advanced editor..

You are right in one way... new things are better and truly Warcraft 3 is dying as a "concrete, corporeal game" but as an "abstract game" it shall always live in the memory of the players and map makers, even tough many of them turn to SC2... i don't think that any of those whom now play SC2 have forgotten Warcraft 3.

Level 22
War3 was my game for 7 years, so I haven't forgotten its glorious games. I even like war3's gameplay more than SC2's

Because when you had more skill in war3, you really win your games. It would rarely happen to lose from lower skill. In SC2 this happens all the time - someone is playing offrace? In war3 that mattered, they did a lot of mistakes that main racers dont do. In SC2 it's enough to mass lings, mutas, whatever and there you go - big deal that he is offracing he's playing like any zerg...

And the skills in terms of leagues - From Bronze to Platinum - it's the same, the only difference that Bronze Silver and some Golds do things worse. High Platinums and Diamonds are the same. High Diamonds who match and win masters and Masters are the same. Same goes to High Masters who match Grandmasters. But for the lower leagues ther is almost no difference in skill. And in war3 at any level you with more skill would win, you wont lose to even slightly worse than you. You are better - you win, PERIOD. In SC2: You have to be MUCH better to win, or else you could lose if he's close to your skill. In war3, you're absolute domination until you match stronger is clear, in SC2 you can lose from anyone at any time..

But all moved to SC2, SC2 on the other hand is a real strategy where hero's levels are not the decisive thing as in war3 pretty much that mattered the most. Without heroes it's the real you, how you can deal with units.

SC2 is also proven to be easier to learn, or in other words - you can learn the basics fast but to master it takes lots of games. In war3 even learning the basics was so slow. Or is SC2 so easy because all of us who play SC2 have background from either war3 or Broodwar? Maybe this.

War3 and ofc BW skill does carry over to SC2 that's why those who played a lot any of the two games easily become strong players at SC2.

Level 19
Warcraft III and Starcraft II are pretty much interesting games with different aspects.
And I do believe Warcraft III isn't dead, and isn't going to be.

Level 9
War3 was my game for 7 years, so I haven't forgotten its glorious games. I even like war3's gameplay more than SC2's

Because when you had more skill in war3, you really win your games. It would rarely happen to lose from lower skill. In SC2 this happens all the time - someone is playing offrace? In war3 that mattered, they did a lot of mistakes that main racers dont do. In SC2 it's enough to mass lings, mutas, whatever and there you go - big deal that he is offracing he's playing like any zerg...

And the skills in terms of leagues - From Bronze to Platinum - it's the same, the only difference that Bronze Silver and some Golds do things worse. High Platinums and Diamonds are the same. High Diamonds who match and win masters and Masters are the same. Same goes to High Masters who match Grandmasters. But for the lower leagues ther is almost no difference in skill. And in war3 at any level you with more skill would win, you wont lose to even slightly worse than you. You are better - you win, PERIOD. In SC2: You have to be MUCH better to win, or else you could lose if he's close to your skill. In war3, you're absolute domination until you match stronger is clear, in SC2 you can lose from anyone at any time..

But all moved to SC2, SC2 on the other hand is a real strategy where hero's levels are not the decisive thing as in war3 pretty much that mattered the most. Without heroes it's the real you, how you can deal with units.

SC2 is also proven to be easier to learn, or in other words - you can learn the basics fast but to master it takes lots of games. In war3 even learning the basics was so slow. Or is SC2 so easy because all of us who play SC2 have background from either war3 or Broodwar? Maybe this.

War3 and ofc BW skill does carry over to SC2 that's why those who played a lot any of the two games easily become strong players at SC2.

I think that learning the basics depends on the experience from previous games... but then again... you are right in some perspectives.
Still i think we are getting a bit off the topic...

Warcraft III and Starcraft II are pretty much interesting games with different aspects.
And I do believe Warcraft III isn't dead, and isn't going to be.

I entirely agree :)

Level 14

One name... Grubby ! Former Wc3 veteran, he won so many times the wcg... he barely is able to do anything in Sc2. The reason is that Wc3 is mostly micro-based while Sc2 is macro-based.
In Sc2 you can have the most godly micro ever, if your army is 100 supply on twobase and I am 200 supply on three base, I will own you! The reason why from bronze to platinium it's the same game style like you said.. it's becauase from bronze to platinium it's all about 'who has the better macro'. Because apparently, there are 4 stages on how good your macro can be. Supposedly at Diamond, your macro is good and you can start to worry that your micro and knowledge of timings is not on par to your opponents.
In Wc3, any noob would get in the game and say "I got... 1 hero, 3 huntresses... what my opponent got?... 1 hero, 4 huntresses... hmm i can outmicro him."

As for "Is Wc3 dead or not, is the Warcraft franchise dead, is Warcraft 4 coming out ?" I think these threads should get locked/closed since there is nothing to actually be discussed about this. These decisions are taken by Blizzard and it's related only too money only and only Blizzard decides what they will do with this francise. I understand that people have freedom of speech but seriously, this topic is present on different forum boards, and has different forum threads about it where mostly two groups, some who see the reality that warcraft is not what once was argue with another group who faithfully believe that god shall give them warcraft. And they argue and argue but to no avail, because Blizzard decides these things. And why it annoyes me, it's not the subject itself, it's that this subject it's debated over several forum boards which contain several forum threads about this. I mean what are we waiting for ? A new thread in the Modelers section entitled "Is Wc3 modeling dead ?".

Level 9
One name... Grubby ! Former Wc3 veteran, he won so many times the wcg... he barely is able to do anything in Sc2. The reason is that Wc3 is mostly micro-based while Sc2 is macro-based.
In Sc2 you can have the most godly micro ever, if your army is 100 supply on twobase and I am 200 supply on three base, I will own you! The reason why from bronze to platinium it's the same game style like you said.. it's becauase from bronze to platinium it's all about 'who has the better macro'. Because apparently, there are 4 stages on how good your macro can be. Supposedly at Diamond, your macro is good and you can start to worry that your micro and knowledge of timings is not on par to your opponents.
In Wc3, any noob would get in the game and say "I got... 1 hero, 3 huntresses... what my opponent got?... 1 hero, 4 huntresses... hmm i can outmicro him."

As for "Is Wc3 dead or not, is the Warcraft franchise dead, is Warcraft 4 coming out ?" I think these threads should get locked/closed since there is nothing to actually be discussed about this. These decisions are taken by Blizzard and it's related only too money only and only Blizzard decides what they will do with this francise. I understand that people have freedom of speech but seriously, this topic is present on different forum boards, and has different forum threads about it where mostly two groups, some who see the reality that warcraft is not what once was argue with another group who faithfully believe that god shall give them warcraft. And they argue and argue but to no avail, because Blizzard decides these things. And why it annoyes me, it's not the subject itself, it's that this subject it's debated over several forum boards which contain several forum threads about this. I mean what are we waiting for ? A new thread in the Modelers section entitled "Is Wc3 modeling dead ?".

In one way... you are right, this arguing is pointless, but still you must understand that both parties have their point of view... and both are right in their own vision. Basically everyone is right in his own way... whether it's about this or anything else. I think that unconsciously most of us talk on this thread not because we want to prove the point (warcraft is dead or not) but because we want to show our vision about this entire problem.

Level 14
In one way... you are right, this arguing is pointless, but still you must understand that both parties have their point of view... and both are right in their own vision. Basically everyone is right in his own way... whether it's about this or anything else. I think that unconsciously most of us talk on this thread not because we want to prove the point (warcraft is dead or not) but because we want to show our vision about this entire problem.

"Everyone is right in their own way" is not a valid point. Always everyone will be right in their own way. At the same time everyone is not right though, if we are to judge things like that, lol.

The problem is not that people express their desire, their dreams, their vision related to the Warcraft francise, past and future. My problem is, that this topic is adressed so much more lately, all over these forums... either offtopic, warcraft discussion and i think one was even in general gaming section.

If you really want to discuss your hopes, dreams and vision about this francise, by all means talk about it... but talk about it in a private social group, talk about it in a sticky post in the Warcraft Disscution section. Don't discuss/debate this topic in 4 separate threads across the THW.

Some of us here like MLP. We have our own thread where we share images, videos, songs and we also coment more or less the show itself the fanart and any news about it.

You can do it too, you can concentrate this debate which spams across the forum in one single thread. I repeat, it's not about the debate itself, it's about the fact that this debate is present in several topics which are all discussed at the same time almost, lol.

Level 9
It all depends on perspectives... you say that having this same francise on many forums and threads is a problem... and i agree with you, yet there are others who will not agree with you and will bring arguments which you will not be able to counter, therefore you and them will both be right in each's own way.

Level 14
The entire forum is dedicated to Warcraft 3. That's not the problem. Problem is that the topic itself... about warcraft dead or not for example... is discussed in 4 different places at the same time.

Level 7
No. Clinically, something (or someone) is dead once their heartbeat rhythm reaches a flatline - no beat or movement at all. In that sense, Warcraft III is far from dead - it still has players and mappers (the "rhythm or movement", in the analogy). Now, stop talking about whether it's dead or not, and prove that it is still alive.

Level 19
Warcraft III isn't dead to me, hehe.
In fact, it could even be quite 'new' with many newer things being used in maps and even better games:)

Level 22

Grubby started playing SC2 late. You do know that most of the best players outside Korea are all war3 players right? I assure you, war3 skill carries over as much as BW skill. Of course, it's easier when you have played more SC&Broodwar as SC2 is SC afterall. But why War3 players play better overall? The fact that war3 was a micro game does not mean it is hard for these players to be one of the best. It seems they quickly learn the macro part. I also thought war3 players would have problems but all who have a lot of skill adapt to SC2 quite easily. To give examples of war3 players being the best players and basically players outside Korea:

Thorzain, Kas, Naama, Elfi, Lucifron, Happy, Sase, Naniwa, Sjow, Satiini, Infi (that's right the top Chinese human), ++ others I cant think of atm.

If you mean why they are not as good as Koreans, well, same reason why European SCBW players didn't reach the heights of SCBW Koreans even though they r all playing the same game. Koreans are beasts and SC is in their veins so to say..

But even there war3 Moon finished 2nd on Dreamhack 2011, other Koreans from war3 ofc see so high competition in Korea that they dont bother. But Korea is a completely different story. The reason why Koreans are better does not mean war3 players have problems learning SC2... - the example why SCBW players outside Korea never reached their level, this has nothing to do with they came frm war3... See what's going on the EU scene or EU-NA scene, with few exceptions like HuK, Select (NA never had any good War3 players thast why in North America you see Starcraft names) but in EU.. all dominated by war3 players and along with them the fewer SC players like Nerchio, Dimaga, Strelok, WhiteRa, BratOK, Tarson, Mana.

-And these are only some of the best players from EU supposedly. If you see Grandmaster EU, more than half are war3 players, I know cause i've seen these names in war3.

And I agree with the 2nd paragraph. Such threads are pointless, not to say 2 threads wait 3 threads about the same thing.. 'Is war3 dead' 'war4' agreed they should be locked so it doesnt matter where this thread is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.