• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is Warcraft III dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Warcraft III would probably not die, considering the vast majority of people still playing it, just separate servers, that's all.
Anyways, I believe that it'll get popular along the years if newer and better mods emerge, along with Blizzard cooperation of Warcraft IV (Well, it's a possibility).

Level 7
No, Wc3 is not dead or never will be...

The only thing people see is limitations designed by intelligent people to try to make them see the smart people as celebrities.

To prove that fact, read below;

Notice how slow modding for Wc3 advanced?
Trackables for instance....
Advanced maps finally started coming out by more then a few people in 2008.
Blame the modders who refused to share their knowledge and left randomly.
Barely any tutorials to advance the community and bad use of power.

there really is no limit inside Wc3, you just need a better computer for some of those limits some say =P

If only the people I knew a while back who were my friends decided to share their knowledge....
We would be at functional FPS's and more way earlier....

Trackables could of been discovered in 2005.
The list goes on, Wc3 is so old but everything is still quite new and undiscovered by so many.

So my question is, Why do you ask this?

Level 19
In fact, because of Warcraft III, standalone games like Dota 2, LoL, HoN and Demigod could have existed. So it isn't dead, and will probably not be:)

Level 11
Lol i am starting to see what others said,that this kind of topics have no reason to be at all...There will always be a part who will say that warcraft 3 is dead and others still having hopes for it...For a reason,i am one of those but still,this kind of forums,like other's said have no reason to be,becuz every guy of each side's comes with an argument,and then the other comes with a counter argument...and then this chain grows and grows...but never stops

Level 9
Each of us shall have his own opinion, either way... the balance will be maintained and 2 sides shall always "battle" over the question, is warcraft 3 dead or not. This type of conversation shall lead to no end... and continuing it will not bring anything to anyone.

In my opinion, this should remain undiscussed by those who already expressed their opinions, otherwise the arguing will never end.

Level 14
The difference is the people who claim that Wc3 is Dead seem to have more broaden horizons and seem to bring logical arguments based on facts.

While the other group just talks about hopes, dreams, illusions... things which do not exist. They are like "let's talk about MAYBE". Maybe doesn't factor into anything. Maybe doesn't exist. Maybe is not solid. Furthermore you just focus on one thing, that warcraft is not clinicly dead.

No, of course it's not clinicly dead... as long as Battle.net exists, and there is 1 player online doing something.... it's not dead. Just like Starcraft Brood War isn't clinicly dead. I can log now and find a couple of maps to play in SC:BW.

-----------------------------------------

Yet SC:BW is dead... how you ask ? Simple....................:

SC:BW has stopped progressing! SC:BW is not progressing anymore.

From a modder/custom gamer point of view... one of the most important moments in Warcraft3, which prooved that it was alive... was when progress was made. For example... when people learned to make a model for Wc3, when they learned to make a skin for Wc3, when they learned to create triggers for Wc3, when they learned how to make save/load codes for ORPGs, when they learned to make MUI spells, when they made that custom WE (the name was... I forgot?.. was it WorldEditorUnlimited!?), and probably other moments I have not observed myself and not know them. These were the moments Warcraft3 modding/custom game scene was progressing. Simply making a new skin does not necesarily mean that the modding scene is progressing. A new skin could be the equivalent of a new spoon in real life. How would that sound in real life !? "Mankind has progressed ! Today at the shop in the crossroads, the owner... made a spoon".

From a meele gamer point of view... Wc3 competitional play is dead. Do they even have Wc3 in the WCG2011? As I know the two greatest champions in Wc3 (Grubby and Moon) have moved on to SC2. And I am not aware of any new meele maps created for the meele pool for Bnet. The tournaments, which represent Wc3 as progressing in meele games, do not exist anymore.

Based on what I wrote above I conclude that Wc3 is in fact dead, because it's not progressing anymore. Just because some guy got today his Dryad Icon for his account doesn't mean the game is progressing, just because some guy played a match of X custom game and won the map doesn't mean the game is progressing, just because some guy makes a new map and is using the same old systems doesn't mean the game is progressing.

Everyone is free to believe what they want, they can be die hard Warcraft fans because they have no other real life occupation, or maybe they are just to addicted to Warcraft which is not right, they can believe that Warcraft is not dead because it's not clinicly dead. For me, something which is not progressing, but it's clinicly alive, I find it dead... it doesn't move... it doesn't touch my soul... it doesn't entertain me... it doesn't teach me... it doesn't do anything for me... it's just like a song on repeat mode.

The property of values is one hard to learn, and hard to apply it to anything, but for all those people who say that Warcraft is alive, because it's clinicly alive, and because maybe hopes and dreams come true... I tell you to learn to have the property of values and adding them to everything around you,... it might just get you out of the bubble you are living in.

-----------------------------------------

@Imtor - I was just trying to explain why the SC2 ladder is all around the same thing between Bronze and Diamond. Newbies/casuals just have a hard time learning the macro aspect. Especially when you are playing Zerg... you need to keep that larva inject up! Terran I think it's the most easiest because you can que up units, while at Protoss it's like Zerg, you need to Warp-In everytime the cooldown is off.
And yes I do think that the Wc3 players like Moon have had a harder time adapting to the macro aspect of the game compared to a player like IdrA. But that doesn't mean that the Wc3 players are inferior to those who started in SCBW, just that it takes a while for them to adjust to the macro aspect of the game. I know Moon got 2nd place in Dreamhack2011, he is a very strong SC2 player and many former Wc3 players are strong SC2 players today.

Last edited:
Level 20
The difference is the people who claim that Wc3 is Dead seem to have more broaden horizons and seem to bring logical arguments based on facts.

While the other group just talks about hopes, dreams, illusions... things which do not exist. They are like "let's talk about MAYBE". Maybe doesn't factor into anything. Maybe doesn't exist. Maybe is not solid. Furthermore you just focus on one thing, that warcraft is not clinicly dead.
Yeah, the epic ongoing projects on Wc3 surely aren't a solid factor, as well as a still, not that small, modding community.

People interpret the term dead differently, in my opinion, wc3 isn't dead since it still has many players.

Melee isn't the only playable part of wc3, and tbh, melee is quite boring (atleast to me). It's so limited, the editor has kept Wc3 alive and still does.
The fact that not many melee games are played doesn't make the game dead.

Level 18
SC1 is actually more alive than Wc3, sadly. Has very little bots, lots of variety in gametypes still hosted, I did my best to keep RP there (made like 5 Halo RP maps and 3 non-Halo RP maps) and... yeah.

I left SC with that and now I've come back to Wc3 to see what I can do. Sadly, I can't host (no matter what guides I read and tried, I still can't), and there are more bots than people.. I'd say it's dead. Sc1 isn't, but it's dying because of Sc2.

Level 9
Edhel-dur, you are right in all that you say, but tell me this:

By the facts and terms you have given us... something that is not progressing or evolving it is dead, so for instance: a very very long time ago when the human race was in the prehistoric age, basically the history says we weren't evolving (yes it's just history but it's based on facts and archeological discoveries) we were a bunch of humans in some caves and we did not have any type of progress for over 100-200 years. You are telling me that in that period the human race was dead?

Level 14
Edhel-dur, you are right in all that you say, but tell me this:

By the facts and terms you have given us... something that is not progressing or evolving it is dead, so for instance: a very very long time ago when the human race was in the prehistoric age, basically the history says we weren't evolving (yes it's just history but it's based on facts and archeological discoveries) we were a bunch of humans in some caves and we did not have any type of progress for over 100-200 years. You are telling me that in that period the human race was dead?

At that point human kind was no better, no worse than a worm.

Going deeper into details is pointless. You could say that human kind wasn't dead because once every 200 years someone would invent the wheel, or discover fire, or invent a tools, and that besides those very few people, the rest of human kind was dead. Which is a phenomenon happening today still. But all in all, you could sum up that the species itself, as a whole, in general, in those days, was not better than a worm, with the very few exceptions. Do not dive into the absolute. You need to see in which direction the balance weights more and by how much more. Since probably life expectancy in prehistory was of 40 years old, than to reach a progress it would need betwee two-and-a half to five human generations to have lived.

Clinicly human kind was alive, we are proof of it. But all in all, well I guess we can be lenient, and say that because it's about the evolution of a species, a progress once every 100-200 years means that our species was alive just... so very god damn slow! : D

But video games is not part of evolution of species, a game get's old after a couple of years, and it's long lasting when it reaches 10 years. Notice the differences I guess.

@Edhel-dur
how can you say that a game progresses when there is no updates?
It's the people that mod it that make it progress and the people who play it, just like how I get Wc3 to progress with attempts at new maps whilse trying to be as original as I can and if you cannot say that new original maps don't progress/keep Wc3 alive then I don't know what you are talking about.

Level 9
I agree with DeathChef, that is true... if people make new maps, which sometimes are very original than it is progress... as the human race progressed once 200 years... let's say wc3 progresses once a year... or something... not each day... because that wouldn't be possible... but it still progresses.

Level 2
Depends on where your looking, wc3 could be filled to the brim with a variety of unoriginal maps, interesting concepts but bad implementation, Bad concepts with good execution, Good maps, or horrible ones. Wc3 is not dead, as long as theres people playing it, its not dead.

Level 19
Yes it isn't dead.
And I do believe that as long as people continue to upgrade their maps or make new ones (With newer and better Tools, of course), Warcraft III just cannot die.

Level 2
But people change, people move on, Unless theres a dedicated team or a constant stream of updates, new maps or new players, it will die, eventually... Lets hope that wont happen...

Level 14
I agree with DeathChef, that is true... if people make new maps, which sometimes are very original than it is progress... as the human race progressed once 200 years... let's say wc3 progresses once a year... or something... not each day... because that wouldn't be possible... but it still progresses.

Show me these new maps.

I haven't seen a new concept for a map in a while. I haven't seen anything innovative in a while. I haven't seen a really good map in a while.

Level 11
currently there are 260868 people playing warcraft on garena,and also there are 6264 people playing on a warcraft 3 room which should be only for melee maps...
I might miss a clue,but if u guys say warcraft 3 is dead...why there are so many people here?shouldn't they be playing something else...

But ohh well,i think it's the last time i will post this,since like i said,it has no reason...as both sides will always come with arguments and counter arguments and so...we will have an unanswered question...

Level 9
Edhel-dur, you stated yourself that progressing of the human kind is very slow... well than maybe the progress of warcraft 3 is also slow... and you won't be seeing a new concept right away, but maybe in 1-2-3...12 months you will... the mind of a human is very powerful... and dreams can easily become reality if those who dream them are smart enough to work for their dreams.

Level 2
currently there are 260868 people playing warcraft on garena,and also there are 6264 people playing on a warcraft 3 room which should be only for melee maps...
I might miss a clue,but if u guys say warcraft 3 is dead...why there are so many people here?shouldn't they be playing something else...

But ohh well,i think it's the last time i will post this,since like i said,it has no reason...as both sides will always come with arguments and counter arguments and so...we will have an unanswered question...

Because most people on garena cannot afford or are narrow minded and will stick with DOTA for the rest of their lives. Sure, these people will keep playing wc3. but what will they contribute to the Wc3 community?

Level 22
True. But I see Garena as the best place if you still play war3. Seriously Bnet is needless. Although maybe more than 50% of Garena dont have original war3, that's why they play there. Usually from some Asian countries, Russia, some South American countries around the Amazon river. It's no big deal who has war3 anymore as even pros and all who have original war3 prefer Garena except for some mapmakers... that to me are no criteria about which is played more..

Level 9
I play on garena myself, because i cannot afford playing on b.net, it's a fact i accept. Still i know many play dota, but there are a lot of RPG-ers too... the report is something like 4/10 players on warcraft garena are RPG-ers. Also i can say that many do contribute to the comunity... there are many here on hive which have made different maps or models and which i have seen them playing on garena.

Level 11
Well, all we do know is, there'll be progress, and when there's progress, it's not dead.

right...
And also i guess that even the fact that we discuss about if it is dead or not actually means it is quite alive as if it was dead,i bet no one of us would even care for it,wouldn't even start or comment on this topic...Maybe just 1 comment like ,,It's dead bro,it was dead long time ago and it is now" but no...we keep offering arguments over arguments about if it is dead or not so we still have interest in it...

Level 14
Edhel-dur, you stated yourself that progressing of the human kind is very slow... well than maybe the progress of warcraft 3 is also slow... and you won't be seeing a new concept right away, but maybe in 1-2-3...12 months you will... the mind of a human is very powerful... and dreams can easily become reality if those who dream them are smart enough to work for their dreams.

So you have nothing to show me? Nothing to demonstrate with? :)

It doesn't have to be dated today, or 'tommorow'. You can link me with stuff up to 1 year ago, before SC2.

Level 19
Warcraft III would pretty much live forever, hehe.
Just like how some other games have lived on till today, just that Warcraft III has the ability to progress quickly/slowly depending on community and Blizzard involvement, which I do believe is quite active.

Level 2
Eventually the next "Wc3" will come out, and wc3 will slowly phase out. Unless it gets a HD remake... slowly.. but surely. Every good thing must come to an end.

Level 19
Well, that's kinda Blizzard's choice, and I'm sure they'll make something as impressive as Warcraft III once again:)

Level 19
At least, Blizzard still cares for Warcraft III, considering that they still listen to the community problems/suggestions for Warcraft III in their forums.
So Warcraft III isn't dead, and will never be:)

At least, Blizzard still cares for Warcraft III, considering that they still listen to the community problems/suggestions for Warcraft III in their forums

Then why haven't they fixed the bug that crashes the game when you order an artillery unit to attack the ground?

Nestharus' damage detection system is limited by this, so we're screwed Q_Q

Vunjo

Hosted Project: SC
Level 14
There are more and more players on garena. So no, it is FAR from dead. I know that garena had like almost twice as lower amount of players 3 years ago. So tehnically, it is even growing, in some places, and decaying, in other places, such as thw I guess.

Level 19
About that bug, I heard it somewhere in the Blizzard forums and they seem to be working on it, so yes, it's far from dead:)

Level 7

Vunjo

Level 14
http://forums.filefront.com/warcraft-iii-general-discussion/381294-warcraft-4-announced.html

Also research on google has mentioned Titan as next, that the sc2 team will move to war4 after sc2 is done and that they will further expand wow based on the lore they make in war4.

and for some reason there was this quote "not enough bandwidth to attempt it at this moment." not sure what it means, but still.

this is all from 2 pages of google.

I just hope that this is true. Or, that I will live the day when wc4 comes out :p

Level 19
And in some annual IT Convention held here in where I stay, Warcraft III is still used as the game to test out their resolutions and etc.
There are even matches and such revolving all around Warcraft III for customers to participate in against Singapore's gaming clans.

Vunjo

Level 14
I think that question "Is wc3 dying" will answer 3 kinds of people.

1. Pessimists with a clear no.
2. Optimists with a clear yes.
3. The ones who are not Optimists or Pessimists, but know an answer to this question from a source (Either a site, or his experience in a programme where people play warcraft)

Status
Not open for further replies.