1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Is Warcraft III dead?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by pick-a-chew, Aug 8, 2011.

1. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So, after half of my raiding guild on World of Warcraft have gone on Holiday because of the arrival of August, i decided to crawl back to warcraft III for a week for some fun, about after a year or so of not playing it.

But to me, the game appears dead, atleast on Europe, it's always the same custom games being hosted and there's a real lack of vareity. And also, there seems to be far less games hosted in a few refreshing sessions than i remember from a year ago.

The general channels also seem to be almost empty most of the time.

So, is it dead, dying or alive?

2. Boris_Spider

Boris_Spider

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's dead. SC2 has drawn in the majority of the players and many of the others don't play anymore.

//\\oo//\\

3. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Uhm almost, there are still a lot of dota players and some huge maps are still being made, but for the most part, melee gaming and custom games are almost completely dead.

4. Cihparg

Cihparg

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Not dead, it's still breating.
    Just had a game of Fortress Survival, and also I host at some times for Hive, so yeh, If you got time and you're willing to play, just PM me or visit me at hive, I'll try to arrange a game. Actually, there should be a topic on which people could set easier their arranged custom games for hive.

5. Golden-Style

Golden-Style

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    Not Dead cause DotA :D

6. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Lol fuck dotaers, they don't count as humans.

7. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just ruined for all of the other maps.

8. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wc3 hasn't been the same ever since the arrival of hosting bots - a slow and steady decay.

9. x3GlikE

x3GlikE

Resources:
    Resources:
    I rkn Warcraft III will die when DotA 2 comes out since than most dota play'rs will move. You do the maths.
    Unless somehow DotA 2 is a flop than gg :D

10. SA Dashie

SA Dashie

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I am sick of the little variety of games when there are over hosted games that are done over and over again when there are way better maps (most are unknown for this reason :p) but it's mostly on B.net this happens.

11. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Alonely the fact that you write in a Wc3 modding forum and so much people answer you, prooves that it still lives. Maybe not as strong as in the past, but it still lives.

12. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's been dead for the last 5 years.

Silly people. Having a playerbase doesn't mean it's alive.

13. Dynamiczx

Dynamiczx

Resources:
    Resources:
    In my opinion,it's far from dead,maybe that's on battle.net what u are saying,but in my opinion,on garena it's totally different :D
    Also,there is this modding community,and also others,and clan sites,and so all,and they keep living,updating,comming with new stuff,new maps,etc etc,so it's far from dead :p

14. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We all may have some differing definitions of dead ofc.

I personally see a game as dead when it stops making sales. Aka total annihilation. Still has a community larger than wc3's and hasn't made a sale in years.

As far as community goes, I guess it's still barely breathing.

15. Skycraft

Skycraft

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is true.

16. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ^ how? if not the hostbots this PoS called bnet would've died earlier. At least hostbots gave reason some to stay at bnet giving better connection some say as good as Garena, I wouldn't say as garena, but it did make CG better. Then again most with a brain moved to Garena were they to play war3, so screw bnet.

17. Skycraft

Skycraft

Resources:
    Resources:
    It would be better for a great game like WC3 to have a quick and painful death instead of having the life being sucked out of it by hosting bots.
    Because clearly, there are much better games around now to play - both competitively and fun.

18. Asip

Asip

Resources:
    Resources:
    I personally think Hosting Bots have improved it for some people due to the fact not "EVERYONE" can host manually so for some hosting bots are Heaven, I like WC III is not dead yet but is on its last stand, Due to the fact of many people still playing and enjoying most of the games. And Yes Dota 2 could be WC III's Grim Reaper, if it succeeds which most of us here would most likely say it has already failed since it is Dota. This is my opinion on whether the game is Dead,Alive, or dying. I do not care if you do not agree with my opinion everyone has their own.

19. Miss_Foxy

Miss_Foxy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, if you count the other maps and such, No.
    If you meant the ladder, Maybe, But it can still be revived.

20. Asip

Asip

Resources:
    Resources:
    Indeed it can be. We would need to get friends and stuff to play most likely though.