Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Is Logic Real?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hakeem, Jul 23, 2007.

1. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    Scientific Laws of our Universe? lol, SLU.

2. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Those are all concepts, not "logics".

Also, all of them except for God and Jesus are exquisitely false. God may or may not be exquisitely false, but something that touchy is not for me to say, as well as impossible to prove in either direction.
    Jesus certainly existed, you fail pretty hard for denying that. What is controversial is whether his biblical actions are true or not.

That happens in this universe, electrons simultaneously going through two different holes. I don't remember the experiment, but the article eventually got around to saying "if electrons can be in two places at once, what's stopping us?".

[HIGHLIGHT]No[/HIGHLIGHT]. That can certainly be solved by logic. The bowling ball would hit the ground first. A sphere denser than a human definitely has a higher terminal velocity than a human. Clothing would definitely create drag, not only lowering the person's velocity but his acceleration.

Alright then, here is actual logic for you, proving that the moon landing was not faked: There is a video of Lance Armstrong (or possibly Buzz Aldrin) holding both a hammer and a feather. He drops them, and they fall at the same rate. The reason they do not on earth is because of air resistance. It would be next to impossible (if not impossible) to produce a large enough vacuum chamber to record the entire "fake" moon landing, especially considering that the fake landing is supposed to have happened in the middle of the Arizona Desert. Judging by the impossibility of such a feat, the moon landing was quite obviously not fake.

3. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    "Scientific Laws of our Universe" is not logic, it's knowledge.
    Philosophers use logic. Logic is the process of reasoning to come to a conclusion. You use logic to form a hypothesis. The more you know the more you can reason.

That's what I mean by 'logic'. Can you think of a better word?

4. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    It wasn't supposed to be synonymous with logic, it was supposed to be a better word to replace all the times you've said logic.

5. Kitabatake

Kitabatake

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I'd certainly like to hear your proof

6. Mecheon

Mecheon

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Oh REALLY?

For your first point. Go contact the dead in a controlled scientific enviroment and prove it. I have a community who'd be interested in your results
    Get me undisputable evidence for the second as well
    Prove the third, seeing as, while I have hella hunches, I've seen no evidence
    Prove the forth undisputably and not just due to the human habit of seeing patterns which aren't actually there
    The fifth sounds silly. Prove it as well

7. Arab4life

Arab4life

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Jeez you people. There is nothing complicated about Logic.

Take it this way. If you have a working brain, you have logic.

My definition of logic: Solving problems and realizing different situations.

If you have a brain, you have logic. Its like saying, "I dont believe in thinking".

Its something anything with a brain has.

A cat has a brain, my cat attempts to reach a piece of balony (i hate actually trying to spell it, balgonae or what ever)scraps on the balcony, she figures the situation by thinking (Logic) and use's the fence to reach the balcony up high.

There is no Philosophy about Logic. Anything with a mind has logic.

Why do you people take everything so complicated?

Technically, those sound like your opinions.
    You think Dark magic exists (no offence intended but i think it sounds silly) but your proof is what you think you saw. Thinking so doesnt make it so. And dont go "No i saw it, i saw dark spirits haunt me" because you didnt. You THINK you saw evil spirits haunting you. If you think something without real proof, then it is not logic, it is your opinion.

8. Shados

Shados

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Logic is not knowledge, logic is the principles or methods of reasoning and arguementation. While logic can be used to obtain and interpret knowledge, it is as different to knowledge as the means are to the end.

-*meow*

9. lorothrigs

lorothrigs

Resources:
    Resources:
    Logic is simply a system of reasoning. It's nothing more complicated than that.

10. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/ claims to use logic to prove that God exists.

Some of their arguments are a little off, especially considering that while the concepts of the laws of etc. are abstract, the laws them selves are as tangible as you or me.

Basically, if you go along with everything, you end up reading this:
    Another page states this:
    This is what it shows you if, at the end, you click "I do not believe God exists"
    This is where it takes you if you say that you do believe: http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/main.php

While I personally believe that there must have been some God to create all of everything, I doubt he actually cares about humanity. If finding God turns your life around (in a good way) good for you.

11. lorothrigs

lorothrigs

Resources:
    Resources:
    That website is completely illogical. It leads you to you think like them.

Obviously I think it's wrong. That's only because my parents and the society I live in told me that. If I was told otherwise then it would not be wrong(for me). I then either can click "Back" or "Exit" after they tell me I'm irrational and illogical. It's circle logic.

Then they ask whether the laws are unchanging, of course it's changing. In the Catholic Faith, 3 = 1. The Trinity.

12. Captain Griffen

Captain Griffen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Logic is universal. It exists (so far as a concept can exist) in any circumstances. Correct logic is absolute proof for all circumstances where the assumptions hold true.

Correct logic is always the same, but assumptions may change.

13. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah. Like in some cultures eating the dead is actually taboo. Well then what are they supposed to do with that meat? Taking natural resources from Mother Earth, hmph. Not to mention that all the laws the mention are completely material (which I may have already said). Not to mention they basically say "matter isn't organized". Haha, crystal formations are based upon the molecular structure of the rock, GGYOULOSE.

14. Razorbrain

Razorbrain

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    one more thing about that website

it said that the Laws of Science(about how objects interact with eachother, like what Fire does to Water and what Water does to Fire) was Immaterial

now, if we freeze there, it says that, in fact, the abilities of Water and Fire doesnt exist, that they are mere Immaterial

explain that to me someone

15. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    They claim to use logic, but logically the are wrong. The laws of science are material, it is our descriptions and concepts of them that are immaterial. Flower petals and leaves grow in spirals that are related to the Fibonacci Sequence (I don't remember how, I'll look it up). There's mathematics in nature. "Two" is a concept that represents something material. The golden ratio exists everywhere in nature, and is a part of what humans (subconsciously) consider to be beautiful. Here is the Discover Magazine article about the man who did a study about that if you don't believe me.

Anyways, back to logic. Now!

16. Eleandor

Eleandor

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    since the start of the universe (or at least the big bang), the velocity of light has been decreased slightly... not much, but it did.
    Morality is changing, just look at homosexuality, more and more people start to accept that in the civilization. Look at divorces, people don't think anymore you'll go to hell because you divorce.

And I completely agree with you, lorothrigs.

Now for those that don't know what logics is:

. If you agree, you used logics. If you disagree, you know what logics is NOT (because you're being illogical). Now you can only understand what logics is, by knowing what logics is NOT. If you do understand that, you're using logics. otherwise, you're hopeless.

17. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Actually, the ancient Greeks indulged in homosexuality quite frequently. The site defeats itself because of its lack of acknowledgement that Christianity certainly shifted moral laws quite a bit.

Erm... gb2/logic/ nao!

18. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    Morality doesn't change. Our perspective of it changes. What's bad is still bad and what's good is still good no matter what way you look at it. All humans are born knowing the basic things of good and bad, like compassion for other human beings, respect for law and order, etc. We are simply getting more in touch with it the more we think.

19. Hakeem

Hakeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I wont tell you my absolute proof of god, it would be a waste of time.
    This thread is not about god. I would rather this thread weren't closed because it was talking about god.

I think we all understand 'logic' now.

Logically, we can conclude that our logic is only supported by our logic, and that there is no proof that our logic would work in other universes. Right?

20. Teh_Ephy

Teh_Ephy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Of course, there is no reason to doubt that logic would not work in alternate plains of existence. And sorry for thread hijack.