• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Logic 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Since you guys so clearly need it...first, some terms (iff means if and only if):

Proposition - a statement that is either true or false.

Set - a group of objects, ideas, whatever, in which the order does not matter.

Consistency - a set of sentences is consistent iff there is at least one assignment of true or false to propositions contained in the set such that all of the sentences are true (note that some propositions included in those sentences may be false).

Argument - contains a set of sentences, the premises, which are assumed to be true, and a conclusion which should be derived from the premises.

Validity - an argument is valid iff there is no assignment of true or false to prositions contained in the conclusion and the premises such that all of the premises are true and the conclusion false. Inductive arguments cannot be valid, but may by assumption be justified (although we don't know for sure how). Propositions cannot be valid. Tautological sentences (ie: those which cannot be false under any conditions) are logically valid, but no other sort of sentence is.

Things such as consistency and validity are technical terms, and have a very clearly defined use in the English language. Please learn to use them correctly.

I might also do some stuff on logical fallicies.

Level 24
1001821.gif

I just found that sitting on my desk. Griffen, gtfo my house.

EDIT: That'd be the Penguin Publishing Dictionary of Philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.