• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Introducing Darkwind RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Darkwind RPG
A Heros Tale

Hi @ all,

this thread is supposed to be a place where you can gather informations about the development process, features, screenshots and videos of my current mapping project. I please you not to spam this thread. If you are interested into something, leave a post or send me a PM here on hive. And now have fun reading :)

1. Motivation
2. The Lore
3. General Information
4. Features
5. Screenshots
6. Model WIPs
7. Videos
8. Progress

1. Motivation

I love RPGs. And I really love well made RPGs. But to sad that there only few very good RPGs out there. So I start thinking what a good RPG needs and began collecting ideas. Soon this collection reached a critical size and I wasn't able to hold it back anymore. So I started this RPG with the intension to bring something up, that have never been seen in the mapping community before. Great words you may think and you are right, but you grow with your dreams. I planned this RPG as a longtime project while I am doing my studies. I taught myself moddeling and skinning to be able to create custom models. And we'll see... maybe I am able to suprise you a little bit... or even a little more.

2. The Lore

At the beginning of all times there was only one allmighty god.

And by the word of this god, the everlasting light was born
to represent the good of everything in the universe.
But at the same time he created the light the god throws a shadow.
And that shadow gave birth to the ultimate evil.
So there can't be light without shadow and there can't be shadow without light.

It's all about balance...

But over the thousands of years, the shadow became a part of the god.
And so the epic neverending war had it's beginning.
And at one tragic day even the allmighty god wasn't able to carry both,
the light and the shadow in his heart. So his body broke
and his flesh formed the world and his blood brought life to it.
The lightpart flows up, formed the heaven and was reborn in the good god Alandros.
The shadow fell down, formed the hell and was reborn as the evil god Thyras.
And the battle continous...

Through thousands of years Alandros lies in war with Thyras.
Armies of angels battled against hordes of demons unseen by the mortals.
And between these two armies the world of the humans made it's first clumsy steps.
But due the fact, that the humans were born out of the blood of the anchient god,
they carry both, the light and the shadow within their hearts.
And for every single human comes the time where he has to decide which side he will follow.
So there was war in the world of humans and it lasted over a long time...

On both sides, the humans praid to their gods... and the gods heard the prayers.
Over the time the gods became addicted to that energy send to them via prayers.
But suddenly they realized, that their war will bring end to the humans.
And the end of the humans will be their end too, cause there won't be anyone that will pray to them.
So the gods made a contract that prevents them from taking actions in the humanworld. And it was peace...

But to make sure the humans will still pray, they summoned avatars of their own to inspire and guide the humans.
Alandriel was born as the avatar of Alandros. Thyrael as the shadow of Thyras. And both were sent to earth...

3. General Information

This RPG will come along as a collection of several connected maps. Due to that fact for now there will be only a singleplayer(SP)-version. But after the SP have been finished I'm planning a Multiplayer(MP)-version

4. Features

Customizable Hero:
-You are able to spend points and increase your attribute the way you want them.
-You can train your hero in 12 weaponskills, 3 armourskills, 10 professions and 3 specialabilities
-You can choose talents out of 6 individual talenttrees
-You can equip up to 13 armourpieces and weapons, all are visible on your hero
-Animations change to fit the equipment(2h weapon, 1h+shield, bows... etc.)

Interfaces:
-A fullscreeninventory with 90 backpackslots, 5 beltslots and 13 equipmentslots
-Interactive windows for tradeoverview, charinfo, talenttrees and professions

Gameplay:
-Tons of creeps
-Dungeons to explore
-Epic battles
-Two alternate mainquests(depends on the way your hero acts :)) + dozens of optinal quests
-Bosses with own AI
-Hundrets of items, some of them in sets
-Itemcrafting via professions, f.e. blacksmithing, alchemie etc.
-A 12 button actionbar to place your skills into

5.Screenshots

6. Model WIPs

7. Videos

8. Progress

Below you find a frequently updated list of features I am working on. This list isn't complete and new features will be added. Bolt green features are allready working.

Heromodel:
-Equipping up to 7 different visible armourpieces at a time(head,2xshoulder,chest,belt,2xwrists,legs and 2x feet)
-Equipping up to 3 different visible weapons at a time(2h,1h,ranged)
-Wielding weapons in hands while in combat/on back/belt while not in combat
-Attackanimations change with the different weapons(e.g. 2h => 1h+shield)
-Animations for the different Professions (0% done)
-Animations for the different spells (50% done)
-Animations for cinematics (5% done)
-Animations for special events(stun, knockback) (0% done)

Herodevelopment:
-Training up to 3 different armourskills(Cloth, Leather, Plate)
-Training up to 12 different weaponskills(1h/2hswords,-axes,-maces,-polearms,-staffs,-dagger,unarmed,wands and bows)
-Learning up to 10 different professions(Blacksmith, Alchemie, Leatherwork, Taloring, Scripting, Cooking, Mining, Skinning, Herbalism, Fishing)
-Learning up to 3 different specialabilities(Sneaking, Lockpicking, Pickpocketing)
-Spending attributpoints to increase your stats
-Spending talentpoints into 6 different talenttrees to learn new skills
-Armourskills effect hero stats(reduced movementspeedmalus) (0% done)
-Weaponskills effect hero stats(crit/hitchange) (0% done)
-Attributes effect hero stats
-Herostats effect spellefficency (crit/hitchange, spelldmg, resistance)(50% done)

Interface:
-An 12 button actionbar to place your skills into(recognizes left and right mousclicks) (75% done)
-A full screen inventory with 13 equipmentslots, 5 beltslots and a 90 slot backpack (90% done)
-A full screen tradewindow (90% done)
-A full screen charinfowindow that shows the progress of your skills (90% done)
-A full screen talenttreewindow that shows your chosen talents (25% done)
-Interactive tooltips for all interfacewindows (50% done)

Gameplay:
-A 3rd personcamera with smooth movement
-Arrowkeymovement(you can even walk backward)
-Focustargetfunction(remembers your target and launches casted spells on it) (50% done)
-Skipcinematicsfunction(0% done)
-Interaction with enviroment(gamephysics) (0% done)
-Interaction with objects(NPCs, e.g. doors) (0% done)
-Mounts (0% done)
-Professions (0% done)
-Itemdropsystem (0% done)
-Difficultylevels(normal,hard,unreal) (0% done)
-Boosfights (Bosses will have own AI) (0% done)
-World (0% done)
-Dungeons (0% done)

Overall progress:
Quite a looooot things to do, to early to give out a %value of progress.

I hope you got curious about my project. I will update this thread as soon there are new information or progress. Don't be shy and post or send me a PM here on hive if you like ore dislike something.

Thy

Last edited:
Level 11
I Like "sneaking" though, makes me interested in what it could be :)

Your hero will able to switch into "sneakmode" as long he isn't in combat. While sneaking creeps will only attack if you get very close to them. While sneaking you can try to lockpick closed doors or steal items from NPCs or creeps. But you'll better don't try right in front of the guards^^

Level 3
that's really impressive. I hope you finished it bcause it has a big potential.
can you explain more about talent tree?
is it same as serbian beast's map, growling wind?

Level 25
I have gotten pretty curious about this project :p Too bad that you dont have very much info and screenies and such, but maybe you havent come so far in the map yet? And just curious, about the equips/armorpieces, does EVERY item show up? For example waist, shoulder, wrist, feet? In that case i must say im impressed, thats awesome :) Would be fun to see a picture of one of your dungeons, (if you have done any yet)
And the equipmenu/skillsmenu looks easy and friendly to use, im often getting annoyed in some maps when the equipmenu is awesome, but really bad done and hard too use.

Level 11
that's really impressive. I hope you finished it bcause it has a big potential.
can you explain more about talent tree?
is it same as serbian beast's map, growling wind?

Sry, I don't know that map. Your hero has beneath several other the mainattributes strength, agility and intelligence. There are 6 talenttress. Two for each attribute. So you got:

Strength: Defensive(onehanded weapon + shield)/Offensive(twohanded weapon)
Agility: Melee(dual onehanded weapon)/Ranged(ranged weapon)
Intelligence: Heal(support and heal)/Damage(spelldamage)

(the preferred weapon combo)

Each tree has 5 tiers. To access the second tier you'll have to spend at least 5 points into that tree. 10 for the thierd and so on. You can spend up to 29 talentpoints into one tree. By setting your talentpoints you enable different tree/weapon specific abilites. Each tree has an ultimate in its 5th tier. It won't be possible to reach the ultimate of 2 different trees at the same time.

That was made with a multiplayerversion in my head to open up variations and support the teamplay. But even in singleplayer these tree will be nice.

...but maybe you havent come so far in the map yet?

I started with making the models and the scripts so no terrain has been done so far. After the script is complete I can simple copy&paste it into the terrainmap.

And just curious, about the equips/armorpieces, does EVERY item show up? For example waist, shoulder, wrist, feet? In that case i must say im impressed, thats awesome :)

Everything except amulets and rings will be visible on your hero. Head, shoulder, chest, belt, wrist, legs, shoes, mainhand/offhand weapon and ranged weapon.

The animation change with the use of the different weapons. That's why the heromodel comes along with around 70 different animations^^

Level 6
Ah, I followed your link through your post, and the first question that comes to mind is, what size of the map is expected with all these custom models, items etc?
I'm aware that they can be kept at a low size level, but considering the fact that you'll have lots of items that can pile up to be alot.

I suggest you build a project team, because if you want it to be merely as good as you state, you'll need help.

All the best! :cute:

Level 11
Ah, I followed your link through your post, and the first question that comes to mind is, what size of the map is expected with all these custom models, items etc?

Yeah the mapfile will be huge. F.e. a complete armour set takes up 30kb for the models and additional 72kb for textures. But this will be a singleplayer game and so filesize doesn't really matter I think. I will optimze after I gathered everything I need. During the workprocess I use uncompressed texture with 512*512 they will be reduced to 256*256 or maybe in some cases to 128*128. That will free up a lot of space. I think the complete game will be around 25-100mb. Depends on the fact if I implement speech for the cinematics etc.

Level 14
This looks epic but the portrait of the hero thing needs some work and also the borders on the inventory

Edit: if you anytime need a terrainer I could help

Level 11
Though i am sadface.. why only singleplayer? I know it's because the size, but for gods sake.. It must be MP!

Because of the stupidity of Blizzard. There is a limit for floating texttags. You can only have 99 texttags at the same time flaoting around. Even if they are hidden they count. And if I make this UI for a 5 player mod. It will happen that several players open up their UI. And than there would be more than 99 textags in some cases. So aome of the textages won't be can't be created. For 3 or even 4 players it will fit, cause no single UIwindows needs more than 20 textags. And trust me, its much easier to get a singleplayer version to run. And after SP works correct the step from SP to MP isn't that hart.

This looks epic but the portrait of the hero thing needs some work and also the borders on the inventory

The hero is still in WIP. I just choose the wrong setting for the teamcoour in portrait. The border look blurry because of the video. In game they look as same as the humaninterface, cause they are ingame textures.

Level 14
Because of the stupidity of Blizzard. There is a limit for floating texttags. You can only have 99 texttags at the same time flaoting around. Even if they are hidden they count. And if I make this UI for a 5 player mod. It will happen that several players open up their UI. And than there would be more than 99 textags in some cases. So aome of the textages won't be can't be created. For 3 or even 4 players it will fit, cause no single UIwindows needs more than 20 textags. And trust me, its much easier to get a singleplayer version to run. And after SP works correct the step from SP to MP isn't that hart.

The hero is still in WIP. I just choose the wrong setting for the teamcoour in portrait. The border look blurry because of the video. In game they look as same as the humaninterface, cause they are ingame textures.

If it's going to be one player I hope you got a good story ^^

Level 11
If it's going to be one player I hope you got a good story ^^

I think the story will be good. But I can't talk to much about it :) There will be two alternate mainquestlines. And the path you choose lies in way you act...

Level 14
I think the story will be good. But I can't talk to much about it :) There will be two alternate mainquestlines. And the path you choose lies in way you act...

Sounds promising, will the inventory system be released to public?

Level 11
Sounds promising, will the inventory system be released to public?

For now it only works for my custom made models. So if I want to release the system, I'll have to release the models as well. But before releasing anything I'll finish the game.

Level 11
Nice skill system, but obvious wow priest armor/import is obvious.

No imports^^ Look at the attachments. The textures and models are scratch made. Be carefull with comments like this. I don't need to import things, I can create them myself.

Attachments

• Textur.jpg
    Textur.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 102
  • Textur 2.jpg
    Textur 2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Textur 3.jpg
    Textur 3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 141
Level 4
Flaw? The character's face (you know, the one in the statistics window) looks like a monkey. Wouldn't mind a teenage superpower-ing if possible. :)

Level 11
I added a short preview of a charactermodel I'm working on, can be found in first post in the videotab. Have fun :)

Level 11
I'm currently testing a new but very cool feature of my map. I managed to implement a 12 button actionbar as you maybe know it from WoW(it's located above the herohud in center of screen). The code is complete done in JASS cause I decided to learn JASS. It's paired with a camerasystem in a 3rd person view. Later you'll be able to drag skills into the actionbar. The actionbar recognizes left and right mouseclicks on it.

Post your feedback to this feature :)

Thy

Level 14
I'm currently testing a new but very cool feature of my map. I managed to implement a 12 button actionbar as you maybe know it from WoW(it's located above the herohud in center of screen). The code is complete done in JASS cause I decided to learn JASS. It's paired with a camerasystem in a 3rd person view. Later you'll be able to drag skills into the actionbar. The actionbar recognizes left and right mouseclicks on it.

Thy

That looks awsome but I really hope that the tileset is not what you're going to use in the game?

Level 11
That looks awsome but I really hope that the tileset is not what you're going to use in the game?

No, no. That terrain was only for testing the camerasystem. In real game I will use a mix of ashenvale, several dirttiles, city and dungeon + my custom made models for trees etc.

Level 9

Thy

I tried to do something like that, just a big inventory, but it looks completly fuckt when you moved the screen fast. How have you done it? Custom models that are rotated 34 degress, and every 0.03 seconds moved to the center of the screen?

Level 11
I decided to learn JASS and took MATH, PROJECTION and DGUI by ashujon, took a deep look into that code and adapted it for my needs :) For sure he'll get credits in the completed game. Thoses scripts allow you to use 3d vectors and kind of "pictures", "buttons" and "text" structs to build a grafical UI.

Level 4
Dude! I mean... dude! Dude! Totally dude! That's totally wicked. Anyways, you'll change the icons in the future, right? I mean, a backpack icon wouldn't fit for an actionbar slot. Maybe just a black, translucent square with a white outline.

Still, you should really think about changing the model. Teenage powering is the way to go I tells ya!

Level 9
Since this is an RPG map, you will have a Save/Load system eh? Will you make it able to save items in the extra inventory or just the WC3 inventory?

If you need an terrainer or spellmaker, I would be glad to help =]

Level 11
The singleplayerversion has the highest priority. That means EVERYTHING will be saved by using gamecache. Cause there will be different difficulty level of the game and alternate mainquests, so a replay will be worth it.

Multiplayer is almost impossible due to the limitations of wc3(only 99 texttags at the same moment, 4,1mb mapsize limitation for multiplayergames etc.) and the code that is needed to store everything would be about 350 digits and can't be really reduced in length. So there will be only a reduced multiplayerversion after singleplayer has been finished.

Level 12
No imports^^ Look at the attachments. The textures and models are scratch made. Be carefull with comments like this. I don't need to import things, I can create them myself.
My mistake. :hohum: I should have said obvious wow ripoffs are obvious.

Very cool "action bar", though. I'm going to assume it's tied in with the camera functions? How will you achieve drag/dropping? I'd assume it would be limited from at least the hero's ability area.

Level 11
You'll be able to drag skills right from the interactive talenttrees into the actionbar. It's the same thing like in the inventory where you drag items. You drag items into a fakebar. The items store the data of the spells and in the script the fitting spells are assigned to the buttons. By clicking a button the stored order is given to the hero. That event is catched and the correct dummie starts casting the ability. And yes, the bar is locked to the cameramovement and can be easy updated with additional buttons if I think it is necessary.

Level 14
You'll be able to drag skills right from the interactive talenttrees into the actionbar. It's the same thing like in the inventory where you drag items. You drag items into a fakebar. The items store the data of the spells and in the script the fitting spells are assigned to the buttons. By clicking a button the stored order is given to the hero. That event is catched and the correct dummie starts casting the ability. And yes, the bar is locked to the cameramovement and can be easy updated with additional buttons if I think it is necessary.

What will happen to the old Wc3 UI bar thing?

Level 11
Ahh, got it :)

Into that interface I will embed the buttons for switching between sneaking and normalmovement(while in sneak mode, buttons for lockpicking and pickpocketing), open inventorymenu, interacting with your enviroment(talk to people, use objects etc) and so on.

Level 14
Ahh, got it :)

Into that interface I will embed the buttons for switching between sneaking and normalmovement(while in sneak mode, buttons for lockpicking and pickpocketing), open inventorymenu, interacting with your enviroment(talk to people, use objects etc) and so on.

Ahh that sounds good. I'll enjoy seeing how good this turns out :p

Status
Not open for further replies.