• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Misc] Importing a custom skin without overwriting the default one

Level 4
Introduction

Usually when you import a custom skin into your map it overrides the default one. But what if you want to use a custom skin and the default one or other skins for the same unit model at the same time? You can see bellow how to do it.

What do you need:

• War3 Model Editor by Magos

How to do it

Step 1

Open War3 Model Editor and open it's MPQ browser. Search for the unit's model in the list and export it.

Can't upload any images

Step 2

Open Texture Manager and Import the the custom skin.

Can't upload any images

Step 3

Open the Material Manager. You will see a list of materials used by the model. Open each material and replace the original skin with your custom one.

Can't upload any images

Step 4

Open the Texture Manager and remove the original skin from the model then save the modified model. Repeat the steps 1-4 for the portrait model*.

Can't upload any images

Step 5

Import the model you saved (and the portrait*) and the custom skin into your map.

Set the custom path to the name only. (war3mapImported\SkinName.blp to SkinName.blp)

Can't upload any images

Step 6

Assign the custom model to your unit.

Can't upload any images

Step 7

Enjoy your new custom skin unit and default unit!

Can't upload any images

Notes

The skin belongs to Pins

*If the unit have a portrait model

I can't upload any images, I don't know why I get an unexplained error from the Hive.

Thanks for reading, I hope it helped you.

Last edited: