• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Importing Skins

Level 13
Importing Skins

For Windows.
Pictures taken in Windows XP with Paint Shop Pro 8.

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------//

Tools Needed

Warcraft III - The Frozen Throne

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------//

Introduction

This tutorial explains how to import skins using the Warcraft III World Editor, with images for each step.

The Process

1. Open the Warcraft III World Editor and load your map.
msn2rocks-tutorial02picture01.jpg

2. Open the Import Manager by clicking Module->Import Manager, by pressing F12, or by clicking the
msn2rocks-tutorial02picture02.jpg
button on the toolbar.
msn2rocks-tutorial02picture03.jpg

3. Import the skin by clicking File->Import File..., by pressing Ctrl+I, or by clicking the
msn2rocks-tutorial02picture04.jpg
button on the toolbar.
msn2rocks-tutorial02picture05.jpg

4. Open the properties of the skin by selecting the skin and clicking Edit->Modify File Properties..., pressing F2, or by double-clicking the file.
msn2rocks-tutorial02picture06.jpg

5. Click the check box Use custom path and change the file path to the one directed to you when you downloaded it, and click OK.
  • TIP: This is the part where most people make mistakes. Be sure that the file path uses these slashes:\ and not these:/. Also make sure that you end the path off with .blp.
msn2rocks-tutorial02picture07.jpg

6. Save your map and restart the World Editor.
  • TIP: Until you do this step, your skin will not be visible in the World Editor.

End Note

Congratulations! Now you will be able to import as many skins as you want!

Level 1
please tell me how to import skins when i import it and go to object editor it is not there

Level 1
no look i uderstendet it no meter but i tried to chenge a skin for dmx and i did evriting as hi told but mayby not because it is not working i don't know how to put pic in the message if you tell me i could
show you

Level 13
@Piro: A skin automatically applies itself to the correct model. There is no way to specify it in the Object Editor.

@kingofn00bs: To import a skin in RoC you have to get WinMPQ (Tools section of this site), open your map with WinMPQ, and click Edit->Add or and import the file with the correct path. It will automatically apply itself to the model.

Level 1
oz02 > i still dun get it how to import skins to roc.
I open winMPQ, then open map, then I press add and then i import skin, But when i open my map and try to place unit, then nutin happens, unit looks the same he wuz before. What is the prob?

Level 2
How To Import Skins In RoC
1)Open WinMpq
openwinmpq.jpg

2)Open your war3.mpq file it is located in your warcraft directory
openwar3mpq.jpg

3)On the right side where the extension bar is you want to change that to *.blp and hit list
selectingblp.jpg

4)Once it loads you will need to go the the 2nd menu the mpq menu and go to the bottom save file list i would rename it blp.txt and save it to your dektop.
savingtxtfile.jpg

With that done you are set to import skins
Very Important The Units must be placed in your map before you add the skins! If it is a triggered unit the skin will take effect! i dont know why but if u edit the maps file and add the skins then open the editor it will erase all of the custom skins!
With that said make sure skinning the map is the last thing you do! if you are ready to do the skins
1) open your map using winmpq
openmap.jpg

2)add your skins
add.jpg

3)As you add each skin it will ask you for path for now just click ok
[path.jpg

4)After you have added all the skins you want now you need to set the paths
5)you should still have your winmpq open with your map loaded in win mpq
6)Choose which skin you want to do first example (rifleman)
7)You want to open the blp.txt file we saved in the first step
blptxtsample.jpg

8)You want to go to file then find and type rifle(or the first few letters of the unit you need)most of the units are in units\ but some are in textures\
so doing find is the easiest way u need to find the units\human\rifleman.blp file For Our Example once u find it highlight the whole line and right click copy
8)Go back to winmpq and find the file that is the skin for the rifleman whatever name it may be select it
9)now right click and do rename now delete the name that is there and right click and paste if you did it correct it should now say unit\human\rifleman\rifleman.blp
10) You need to do this for each skin you import
11) alternative method is as you are adding the skins into the maps file you can look at the blp.txt file and find each path as you do it
Note:Remember if you open the map with world editor you will loose all skins and have to do this all over again! When I Skinned My Map i imported all my skins and then went to mpq and saved a txt list named unpathed.txt After I Finished Skinning My Map I Went To Mpq Save Txt List And Put them both With The Unportected Copy Of My Map Incase I Have To Edit IT And I Loosee My Skins I Know Exactly Which Ones I Used Most Skins Arent Named The Unit Name They Are Named Example:RoboPeon OR JadePaladin So When I Save The First One With The Paths Not Set It Has the name incase i have to redownload them

Level 1
I can, but i only know How to use one skin on one model, not several skins on same model

Level 6
Hi there I was wondering which tool you use in PhotoShop or Paint Shop Pro to paint something such as blood dripping from the lips; I' ve been trying using the paint brush, but it doesn' t do a very natural color. I' d also like to know which tool in those is the most useful to avoid alpha channels: polygonal lasso or magic wand?

Level 1
KnightOfRedemption (page2)

I cant figure out how to type the pathway for KnightOfRedemption. Can i even do it for TFT? and can someone give me actual example with that model? its on page 2 of modles someone help me out.

Level 1
I need help! When I want to put in an Undead Jaina skin that i got from the undead skin pack of every hero. I then change the model from war3mapImported\Undead Jaina.BLP to Undead Jaina.BLP is this right? I am trying to do this every other skin but it wont work. Plz respond! :(

Komad Fortuna

Level 1
Ok, I'm going nuts trying to get this one to work. I imported that blood-elf sorceress file for the skin. I have it imported. How do I make a unit use the imported skin? It's not letting me select it under model, which I suspect it's because it has none. I realize this is pretty dumb, but someone walk me through it here please.

Level 1
The problem is, it doesn't seem to think it has one. I apologize for being obnoxious, but I wanted my game to be semi-original. Since mine won't apply to any model on it's own, is there a different way to do it?

Level 1
For the most part, yes, I'm sure that the path is correct. One was not provided is part of the problem... I appreciate your help and I have someone working with me on this. Thanks though.

Level 2
I have two textures for one model (head.blp and body.blp), however when it uses only the first texture to wrap the whole model instead of using two.

i edited the mdl but the problem still occurs. it will just use the first image ie head.blp to wrap the WHOLE model. Help?

Textures 2 {
Bitmap {
Image "head.blp",

}
Bitmap {
Image "body.blp",

}
}

Level 1
[DragonSS said:
amurai-X]Hi there I was wondering which tool you use in PhotoShop or Paint Shop Pro to paint something such as blood dripping from the lips; I' ve been trying using the paint brush, but it doesn' t do a very natural color. I' d also like to know which tool in those is the most useful to avoid alpha channels: polygonal lasso or magic wand?
Use the lasso tool and select the area of where the blood drips, the use control + B and you can make it like you want.

Level 10
Hello i am new!Ok i know this is a topic about skins but i need help!So i have a problem importing models.
I read the tutorial about models but it doesn't help me. For example i download the Effreti model but I dont know the paths. So what i must do???Some models , when i download them it give me a text document with the paths but allmost of the models dont have the paths... :( Pls help me...

eXciTe

Level 1
Please help! When I put skins on my map, it doesn't auto-apply them like you say it does. I know that the file paths are correct. What's going on?

Level 4
Uh, Im VERY new to MODing, so if anyone could help me, I'd be really thankful. :oops:

I dont understand how to import skins at all. I can get 'em imported, but I dont know what to change the path to. I want to put this skin of a ranger guy on the archer, but I dont know what the path should be... :cry:

Im very lost :? ...I dont remember ever getting a path.

Level 4
Viewer

I dont think I have the WC III Viewer, should I dl it?

And are there any other tools that I need to dl that will help me with most of my problems? :)

Level 4
Multiple Skins for Model

If I have a custom unit, what would the path for it be? And could I have multiple of the same unit model on the map, but each has a different skin?

Example:
I have two Dark Ranger type units as two different heroes.
One has a forest elf skin, and the other has an ice elf skin.

Is that possible?

Level 4
Glow

One more thing.

How do you get rid of glow? I have a skin on a hero model, but want to use it for a regular unit, but it still has the hero glow... :?

Im no good at this... :cry:

Level 21
Re: Multiple Skins for Model

FookinIdiot said:
If I have a custom unit, what would the path for it be? And could I have multiple of the same unit model on the map, but each has a different skin?

Example:
I have two Dark Ranger type units as two different heroes.
One has a forest elf skin, and the other has an ice elf skin.

Is that possible?

Can't do that. You can only do that by reading oz02's tutorial on using more than 1 skin for a model.

Level 1
wc3_image_extractor

Help me I have a problem, in the Wc3_image_extractor 2 its impossible to export frozen throne units, what tool i need or what i have to do???? :? :? :?