• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I'm kinda left out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
So the situation is this, I've been modding for almost 5 years now. and yet I couldn't excel at any fields of WarCraft 3 modding. I've seen people who only modded WarCraft 3 this or last year and now they're doing pretty great. People who modded after me are becoming better and better. and yet me who first started modding couldn't become good in any of the fields. It's true I know the basics of modeling, basic of skinning, basic of terraining and such. but It seems like I'm stuck there. I couldn't go further.

I've been infront of the computer for countless of hours. idling no idea what to do. I need some advices or suggestion that I may start with to learn more about modding.

Level 26
i am obscenely talented and attractive and have never, and likely will never, be in your position.

nonetheless having a fascination with people like this i find that the key is to complain less and actually do stuff. you know. like not announcing that you're making a minecraft project and scrapping it immediately. simple things like that.

anyway, i wouldn't know.

Level 23
yeah, the people who just started a while ago, seems to be learning faster than us... maybe its because they get more help than what we used to have years ago... or maybe they're really just geniuses...

Well, the amount tutorials existant now and few years ago was very different.
You can pretty much pick up anything without any self experimentation nowadays.

Level 37
You don't need to be good at terraining, you don't need to be a great coderer. You don't need to create awesome models or excellent skins. Just do your projects with the way you want, with the way you would enjoy your own creation. We have to remember that we are to have fun.

Do your maps with passion and enjoy making them. That is, how I've done all my projects.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Select one particular area of expertise and stick with it. It's like peeing on solid ice. If you just disseminate your fire, you'll only end up staining the ice in particular spots rather than melting it.
If you focus it on one spot in particular however, your ray of light will penetrate the ice, forming one glorious and geometrically perfect hole.

Valid advice for life as well.

Level 37
Select one particular area of expertise and stick with it. It's like peeing on solid ice. If you just disseminate your fire, you'll only end up staining the ice in particular spots rather than melting it.
If you focus it on one spot in particular however, your ray of light will penetrate the ice, forming one glorious and geometrically perfect hole.

There are many ways.

I'm doing actually the opposite and I'm one of the most producing map developers around here.

Level 13

What if you have a particularily large bladder and member and an endless supply of liquids?

Level 19
I'm reading all advices.

that would depend on the time that you have... if you have very limited time, its more advisable to just stick to one expertise so that you could probably finish something before you get bored of it...

I have a lot of free time this days, as I have no job or something. I'm trying out all fields however I'm learning them one by one.

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
What if you have a particularily large bladder and member and an endless supply of liquids?
I would generally go with the whole rinse and repeat method, but rinsing with pee is fundamentally sick. Instead I would pee in a large heat preserving tank (whilst minding other essential activities, such as watching sports, cooking dinner etc) after which I'd pour the tank's content all over the ice with a malicious grin on my face.

Level 30
look bro, its like playing an MMORPGosdjkasjORPG online game, whenever you gained a new level, someone too is gaining higher levels than you, its not about how you model, trigger, or polish resources that would make you go on top or makes you left out. its about how you do it in your opinion. likewise, no one is perfect to do something extraordinary man, in other words. were all equal, except our talents in making them different.

Level 22
So the situation is this, I've been modding for almost 5 years now. and yet I couldn't excel at any fields of WarCraft 3 modding. I've seen people who only modded WarCraft 3 this or last year and now they're doing pretty great. People who modded after me are becoming better and better. and yet me who first started modding couldn't become good in any of the fields. It's true I know the basics of modeling, basic of skinning, basic of terraining and such. but It seems like I'm stuck there. I couldn't go further.

I've been infront of the computer for countless of hours. idling no idea what to do. I need some advices or suggestion that I may start with to learn more about modding.

Yeah me too...

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Simply a matter of how much time you're willing to spend on a 9 year old game with no actual redeeming qualities whatsoever. Had I any substantial enthusiasm for modding I would convert to Hammer, but I've rather grown accustomed to this brilliant time-wasting instrument.

Level 51
First, when I wasn't even registred here, I was an total dumbass in modding. I neither was able to do terraining, nor modelling or skinning etc..
In the years I grew up from 10-13 years (now ^^) i learnt to do everything a bit like the others did. So I somehow got an idea what to do, I'm mostly doing it totally different than the others, for example modelling, but it's my way I do it, and I like it.

So, I just can tell you, do what you feel like, and the more often you do it, you will get more used to it. Nobody says you need to do it exactly like in any tutorials or anything. Do it your way, in the way you want to do it, and from time to time you will be getting better.

Level 22
First, when I wasn't even registred here, I was an total dumbass in modding. I neither was able to do terraining, nor modelling or skinning etc..
In the years I grew up from 10-13 years (now ^^) i learnt to do everything a bit like the others did. So I somehow got an idea what to do, I'm mostly doing it totally different than the others, for example modelling, but it's my way I do it, and I like it.

So, I just can tell you, do what you feel like, and the more often you do it, you will get more used to it. Nobody says you need to do it exactly like in any tutorials or anything. Do it your way, in the way you want to do it, and from time to time you will be getting better.

Wut, so you registered when you was 10? Rule-breaking. :p Kidding.

Level 5
I guess if you're falling behind skill-wise, then I'm sure extra practice would help. Also, maybe you can get help/advice from the people who you feel are doing really well.
Or if you're stuck with the creative aspects then maybe you should try to find some inspirations from other people's work...or just...anything really.
Just keep trying :)

Level 8
yeah, the people who just started a while ago, seems to be learning faster than us... maybe its because they get more help than what we used to have years ago... or maybe they're really just geniuses...

there are cases though where you learn more because people say "no" :) then you get very desperate and try it yourself.. then you fail.. but you still try.. then you somehow get it.. then you have a little fun in what you accomplish, however suckish.. then you do it agin and again.. and boom.. you made it.. somehow.. XD

Hey RaijinSpark, dont fret.. people really get to that phase, maybe its time you get to know what field yah really want and then pursue it:) look for inspiration. or a team. so that you are always working on something. because sometimes it's hard to keep going without someone sharing the interest:)

Okay. Let me tell you that what fladdermasken said is right.
I first started out with this idea, even before I couldn't run the WE. It was called Footman RPG. I had all of the spells planned out, the story was made. Back then, I was so ambitious and I thought I would make a great map. I was wrong. When I first used the WE, I tried triggering. Back then, I didn't even know what a variable was. But, as I used the Trigger Editor more, and as I familiarized myself with the Object Editor, I gave F RPG up and started work on Arthas' Journey. After some hard work, or so I thought before, I released it. A few days later, I made Chapter 2, and I released it as well. I got a lot of negative feedback from Septimus, and a couple more people, and I acted like a child and ragequitted. It was then I realized that I can't be as good as these other people. I faced the truth and realized that I can't compare the AJ stories to maps like TKoK or RotG.
I then started on Rentau's Voyage, which used Magamdy's FPC system. It was going great, I seemed to be doing a great job, but once I released it, I once again got negative feedback, and gave up on it once again.
I tried cinematics a few weeks later and I noticed that I could not do that either; or so not just a cinematic map.
I then thought that I could make a campaign, and then The Risen was born. It's the only project that I am determined to finish, because I see potential, and I have a large team that helps in certain aspects of the map.
I later tried terraining, and I noticed that I had some skill in terraining and I got some positive feedback.
I took a short break on The Risen and made a crappy RPG, so I could see if I could make the skills that GhostThruster suggested for Shea since he left the team momentarily.
It was then I realized that I can trigger, terrain and make stories. You should try a lot of fields and see which you're best at, and then you can decide what kind of WC3 modder you can be. Everybody has skill in everything. Don't feel left out, because you do have talent within you.

And please, don't TL;DR this. :smile:

Level 7
@RaijinSpark You do not need to be *very* good at everything since there are lots of people here in the hive that can help you in the things/fields that *you think* you lack in. I may not know you that well but I think you are a perfectionist *and that is good*.

Status
Not open for further replies.