• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I need a brainstorm again =))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
in mah RPG, i'm planning to have gnolls as a playable race. now i need a gnoll-specific class and i am out of ideas.
i need whatever ideas: class name / spells / abilities / mechanics and special features (like totems or combo-points) / ability tree (like in D2) names and specifications / role / favored weapon class (if any) / whatever. any help is appreciated.
no ability limit for ya, i will choose as many abilities as i need.
it can fulfill any role (maybe even non-combat - like trading, but combat is preferred)

a couple of tips to help you (it is not necessary to base your ideas on them):
1) WoW Totems / WAR Daemons/Turrets mechanic is unused in my rpg atm
2) my first rough sketch of the class calls it Gray Gnoll, it has Cerberus Strike (melee aoe) and Spirit Hound (summon) and it is supposed to be related to wolves/dogs/hounds

PS: Gnolls in my RPG are a druidic but fierce race, they live in forests (mainly), swamps and caves. my RPG is NOT based on warcraft lore and such, so forget warcraft lore for now =)))
ANY ideas are welcome. good ideas will be rewarded with +rep.
may teh brainstorm begin!

Last edited:
Gnolls: After being enchanted by unknown mystic forces, animals from the woods turned into humanoids. Gnolls have the strength and the speed of an animal, while being granted with the intelligence of the human beings.
Gnolls is a versatile race, that can cast spells and use physical strength at the same time. Their relevance with Nature has granted them affinity with nature-based magic, while invoking the elements for assistance.

Weakness: Low hp, medium attack speed
Strength: High damage, spell casting - enabled, high speed

Classes

Forehunter - Distributes nature magic, harming enemies (has no healing spells)
(Role: A classic sorceror)
Hounded - There are certain values and laws in the nature, that some gnolls seem to ignore. Those ones belong to this class: the Hounded. Hounded gnolls are of those who are trying to overpass nature's laws, e.g. gravity, elemental abuse, life maintenance. They are highly sensitive to Dark Nature Magic, a protocol of unofficial type of magic, subscribed by the hermits of the Dark Sphere (a random name). Hounded have the ability of transfiguration, that enables them acting as normal gnolls and as the dark ones.
(Role - Versatile: In normal form, they have healing abilities and nature-based magic, while the transformation renders them tinted into almost black and all of their spells, from green of nature, they get purple (to show this 'corrupted' concept))

Why should someone select the Forehunters instead of the Hounded? Because Forehunters are considered as pure gnolls, having higher damage in both spells and attacks.

Level 8
Hmmm Gnolls... They are fierce and forest-bound. No doubt on it. But they haven't got a real totem cult. So what to add.... hmmmmm...
Let'S begin with something easy

Strenght of the Nature (passive, race-based spell) - The gnolls are a nature-oriented race, following the laws of Mother Nature. The nature is giving them their strenght and agility, they are owning.
Whenever a gnoll hero stands on a nature based tileset, then he gets +X agility, based on his leven and the purify of the tileset. Example: Gnoll hero stands on fresh grass, he gains 2 + (level of hero/2) agility, what lasts permanent (at least as long as he is standing on the tileset). He also gains 1 + (herolevel/3) strenght (same conditions as above)

Winds of Gnarr-Karr
- The breeze of the winds awakened the inner instincts and secrets of a gnoll.
If the weather effect (new suggestion :D, look down to see full article) "Windy" appeares, the gnoll hero gets a 15 + (level of hero)x2 % bonus to his HP-Regeneration.

Lore of Nature
- The gnolls learned to craft items out of ordinary recources.
The Gnoll can craft 1 wooden item (eighter for selling or using). Skill of the gnoll increases with skill level and his crafting amount ("learning by doing")
There is also a list of what to craft. From club to bows.

Weather effects:

Windy - Nothing special, but the above mentioned effect for teh gnoll.
Dry - The gnolls are suffering under dehydration and need a can of water every X seconds, otherwise they get damage.
Hot - Same conditions as "Dry"
Warm - Nothing special, but +5% attackpeed, because the blood and muscels have the perfect temparature to react
Cold - Opposite of "Warm" :D

Hero name ideas:

- Kargosh
- Wulffkar
- Grarr Harr

Hope, that helped a bit.

Level 15
@ Pharaoh_ - i need a single gnoll class. i have everything else =))

@ Gaegamel - crafting alrdy is in-game. but i liked the idea of weather-based hero abilities.

@ all - all i need are ideas for a single class. no ability limit for you, i will choose as many as i need =))) passive/active/ultimate are all ok

keep teh ideas flowing! =)

Well, then i won't even name a class. I will just call them gnolls.
I still insist on the idea of the half animals, half human and they have this versatile role of choosing their primary nature: animal or humanoid, based off a single Bear Form-type ability.
In the animal form, they gain many passive abilities and in the humanoid, many active abilities/spells.
Animal Form:

The animal form has a factor, called "Hunger". They need to devour bodies or enemies to regenerate hunger. As hunger goes down, in the level 0 of hunger, health starts to get low as well.
E.g.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| Full (No hunger)
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| Hungry, health starts to run off.
So, an active ability that can devour enemy unit will stabilize their hunger level.
Up to the hunger, the gnolls have increased attack speed. The more hungry they get, the greater the attack speed. Also, the less hungry they are, the less misses they do.

The only active ability in Animal Form is "Bear" (from the verb "born"). Two younger wolves are spawned (small wolves), that follow every order the main gnoll is issued to do.

The humanoid form contains 5 active abilities nature-based.
1) Wind attack: Surrounds himself with wind (Weather effect: Wind (Heavy)) in an area around him, staying hidden to enemies. Enemies within the area get blinded. (The gnoll gets "Ghost" ability, that enables attacking without getting uncovered)
2) Tame: Tames an enemy unit, in order to assist the gnoll in battle. The tamed unit has an expiration timer of X seconds, is unselectable and follows the orders of the gnoll.
3) Animal's Nature: Provides X% of damage to all units of race gnoll; the more the units, the greater attack damage they receive, of maximum +100% damage.
4) Enchant Woods: Raises trees around him that cover a region with random dimensions. Each tree is linked to each other with a lightning effect, which provides magical immunity to the gnoll and its ally units within the tree area. If a tree is chopped/fallen, the shield will break (Works as prison as well). Target type: Instant.
5) Flowers' paradiso: Every some seconds, flowers spawn in a target area, which increases in size for every second that passes, slowly being drawn within the air, until they fade away. The flowers heal ally units nearby for a small amount of health. The effect is destroyed, if there are no units around. Spawns 3/4/5/6 flowers per second, healing 3/4/5/6 hp per second.

Level 12
Hmm. I can't seem to think of any ideas, but i will subscribe to this thread, and if i wake up and get punched in the face by an idea, i will post.
Main reason why i didn't get it:
I had a lot of trouble reading first part. Too many mah's and gnoli's and whaever's but ok. I get it you like -1337 speak (read the sig)

I just thought it was strange since you usually have good grammar. What have you done with the real Trillium?

Level 15
heh, my grammar is ok =))
the only leet-speak i use are 'mah' and 'teh'. everything else are typos =)

Level 3
Advocate of the Harkani - Gnolls; known as beastly creatures but can be just as bright as any other race. They fight the same as any other humanoid race with one exception: the Harkani. While a mostly godless race, the Harkani worship the diety Harkan, who is a giant wolf with eyes earth and fire. Now, the Harkani often keep to themselves, except their advocates. The Advocates of the Harkani are the Harkani who treat themselves to the outside world and call themselves advocates - to represent Harkan. While they are thought insane, they are also feared because of their mastery over earth and fire.

Role - Battle Mage

Trees - (You said they need trees in D2 style but I've never played D2 so this is what I assume)

A. Path of the Terradeep - These Advocates have mastered the ability to become one with the earth - they can maneuver themselves through it. (This is a path for an alternate play style that requires evasion of the enemy while using the ground to get close for the close range abilities)

- One ability I felt would be cool with this path would be a timed burrow that lasts about 5 seconds and while you're burrowed you can cast spells underground that may or may not bring you up. The class also would have a number of stuns.

B. Path of the Scalding One - These Advocates have mastered the ability to burn the souls of their enemies. (This is the mana focused one that while has the capabilities of a battle mage without spells, it's spells can burn the Advocate as well)

- This path would have an ability that transforms it's own health into mana. It would have a lot of range and some knockbacks.

C. Path of the Chosen Hound - These Advocates believe them the chosen of Harkan and have the ability to become an avatar of Harkan. (This is a tanking, survival path that is very quick and has high health)

- This path would have a wolf form and could use hit and run bleed methods or it could just use abilities to make himself stronger for head to head combat.

EDIT

Weapon Preferations: Staves, Spears and Warclaws (Warclaws are special for the Advocates of Harkani that are magically infused wolf claws that Advocates get from class quests)

Special Mechanics: (Possible Mechanics) Blessings of Harkani (Some spells require the Blessings of Harkani that you get from sacrificing a portion of your or an enemies health)

Last edited:
Level 15
mmm, man, that's awesome!
with some corrections, that just what i need!
+rep for sure

i especially loved the underground class. and i haven't thought of 'hit and run' tanking before.
thanx, man =))

Level 12
hit and run?
You know, ive never thought of it that way.
Seeing as you've kinda showed up recently with only 20 posts, and a lot of them were today, Im gonna give you rep.
EDIT: Trillium, seeing as you fixed your grammar + rep!

Level 3
hit and run?
You know, ive never thought of it that way.
Seeing as you've kinda showed up recently with only 20 posts, and a lot of them were today, Im gonna give you rep.
EDIT: Trillium, seeing as you fixed your grammar + rep!

Heh I'm more active over at the helper. Honestly I'm not too crazy about the Hive - just I see some good ideas here and there and opportunities to donate ideas.

Edit - also for my mentioned hero idea the "Chosen Hound" path could have an ability called Ferocity, which would be a passive that would give the Advocate/Chosen Hound tanking/dps capabilities. The more, quicker consecutive hits the user deals gives him more attack speed but no armor, and when there are no consecutive hits he gains more armor, so you would attack twice (three attacks would trigger the attack speed proc) then run around the target for a few then attack twice so its not consecutive and you retain the armor bonus. Get it? (I feel like I didn't pitch the idea clearly)

Level 2
Maybe the Gnolls have only a slight understanding of weapons,, and use heavier devices such as halberds and crossbows to the exclusion of all else,, or 50% of the time gnolls use only thier bare hands if they are a caster/druid/wizard

Level 4
Every Gnoll got a specific ability.

Blood Fury - Heals the Gnoll for 3% health every second for 15 seconds. (1 min. Cooldown) means they can restore 45% health every minute, but they got a 15% chance to die everytime they use Blood Fury xD

Make a scout gnoll, that can stealth, invisiblility, blink and pickpocket, but they got low damage and health, but they're fast. ^^

I've seen maps with Gnoll heroes, that's brutal, much damage, okay health and beserker abilities. I think you should give the heroes some more original spells, like the Voodo Troll =p

^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^V^v^V^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
I've forgot to read the last ya writtend =p if they're a nature WoW-liken race, well.
Try give them a posion ability, and daze ability. dont make them strong, but make many of them. Give them Nature Resistance of some kind =p and make some Traps, that does'nt have any effects on the Gnolls...

Level 15
but make many of them
it's an rpg =))

but in fact i was already planning to make a summon-based tanked + hit and run tanking, like you hit, put a dot, run away, summon adds that will slow/distract the enemy, etc.

but ty for response anyway

Level 4
it's an rpg =))

but in fact i was already planning to make a summon-based tanked + hit and run tanking, like you hit, put a dot, run away, summon adds that will slow/distract the enemy, etc.

but ty for response anyway

Heh, srry :bored:

I got an idea, try make a murloc boss xD and create some playback music then in war with that murloc, the music shall be this [Clickme!] xD

Level 2
i like how your not just setting up moves and counters

but counter counters and advanced defining moves

if you have a document or somethin with all the details id love to check it out email it to me :)

Level 17
Perhaps look back to what Gnolls are? They're were-hyena's, basically. And what is a hyena? A hyena is a scavenger. If you look at it properly, you could morph the Gnoll class into a scavenger hero that perhaps relies on meat to keep vital or perhaps morph that 'scavenger' theory into a rogue-like sense. Perhaps a robber or an all-around rogue. Hey, they live in forests, maybe Robin Hood's incarnate! =D

Level 2
i just meant i like the mechanics and physics your incoperating,, uhm lemme know how i can help Gnolls are one of my all time favorite races

Level 15
@ Wolfe: hm, will think 'bout it
thanks for idea

EDIT:
@ TheTrueParty: i haven't seriously started that gnoll class yet. was busy with other. i only have a rough concept of the class.

Level 2
I wanna help your project i do,, you gotta do somethin

Send me an email with a writeup of everything your doing (like a word document or excel) and ill profread it and add an adebumn :), ill also send you a copy of the writeup of my game ( Ships & Shores :) )

Email: [email protected]

Last edited:
Level 15
erm, currently my project is in planning/resource gathering phase, so all my plans are scattered on my PC, pieces of paper and notebooks on my desk and note pad in my mobile phone =/

but i'll make a summary and e-mail it to you =))

btw, are by any chance a good jasser? i gonna need one or two later...

Status
Not open for further replies.