1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

I can never stick with an idea

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by Marine, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Animalpower

Animalpower

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    What has this have to do with Warcraft III? This is StarCraft or something alike.

2. Drunken_Jackal

Drunken_Jackal

Resources:
    Resources:
    We are not talking about Wc3. We are talking about the fact that most of us cant stick with an idea and why we cant, or how can we force ourselves to stick with it.

3. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sticking to ideas isn't confined to wc3. If he wants to join in on the conversation in regards to sc2 I say more power to him. :)

4. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thing is, a project... any map project, is about more areas of expertise than just one. If you are a graphician, you will enjoy making some skins for your project, will enjoy maybe some terraining, but I doubt you would enjoy the coding. When you have no coding, the project stops there. Same goes for other people who like 1 aspect of modding. It's really hard and time consuming to do every aspect of your map all by yourself.

As to people who start projects but don't continue after day 3... maybe making a map is not for you?

Personally I like Story Concept, so that I'd do for a map. I have this story I want to apply to a map, however in 10 years or so I haven't done one map which would reflect part of the story. That's because... I don't enjoy terraining, or codding or stuff like that. If you really cannot get into any part of modding which is comfortable for you, maybe you are not meant to be part of modding, or you just didn't explore modding well enough for you.

5. WaterKnight

WaterKnight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Most people seem to have problems with coding here. While I can realize almost everything I want in this area, I have to admit that it's time-consuming, needs a lot of testing and wc3 poses hindrances, circumventions. After all, it's technically the most flexible area. However, to me, it seems like triggering is the most accessible one. The other artistic tasks like terraining, skinning, modelling, dialog writing, storytelling require more general knowledge and common sense. I have not really found out how to acquire/effectively boost those skills yet and therefore they become a greater issue in the long run.

6. mckill2009

mckill2009

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    many of us is not satisfied on what we have, we want more and more...even rich people
    want more money (infinite money), that's why they gamble their money in making bussiness...
    now what's that got to do with map making?, well we want more and more ideas
    and make more maps, but we dont know that's the path of losing interest to the game...

7. Drunken_Jackal

Drunken_Jackal

Resources:
    Resources:
    You just told my family story :p

Also, he's right. We are ever hungry for everything. We want to know more and more and more. Blame it on our scumbag brain.

8. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I lose more and more interest in modding for a number of reasons:
    • WarCraft III community feels like it's dying greatly
    • WarCraft III maps/mods that DO get played are mostly tower defense maps and DotA
    • Developing any kind of project relating to games takes more than one man to complete and it is difficult to get that kind of help with a profit-less project like a mod
    • Modding tools for 'more modern' games today tend to be more complex and confusing; could just be my own opinion

Just a few standard reasons why I am disinterested in modding at a serious level these days. I'm trying to get more involved in indie videogame development instead, where there's more room for creativity. :smile:

9. Animalpower

Animalpower

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    There will always be somebody who plays Warcraft 3. Games can not die. A popular old game can be less popular but not dead.

I hope the Hive does not become deserted. I would still play Warcraft in 2030.

10. map designer

map designer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    O.K. I got nice place for everybody to advertise their maps. It is Game Ranger, a place where you can host online games. MANY people played my map with me: it is really encouraging. Unlike other places where you, if do not play dota, have no space to live...

11. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    i am often able to get full games when i test my maps. (even the big ones.) it would certainly help if more people on this website played on battle.net.

12. map designer

map designer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    B.net!! No, it is too hard, and the games are spammed. People will not find my game. I do not remember any who has joined my game in B.net, at all.

13. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    Not unless you have a bot at least

14. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    i dont use bots and people join each time. i am playing either on the european or u.s east gateways.

15. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hive should host maps (maps that are good but not popular) so it will encourage more modders to continue their work,

16. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  17. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    good idea sure but the problem is to put it to use.

18. Stabra

Stabra

Resources:
    Resources:
    reply to the 1st message

Creating a map is very time consuming indeed, but it's an art. when i play the game i enjoy most of all the art, the spirit (so i play a little slowly and eventually loose haha) So when you make a map know that most of all you create a piece of art. Be an artist, no need to rush or stay more than you like on it

19. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sorry, I don't use that part of my brain, so I'll stick to the more logical side, :D

PS - not trying to bash you or anything, so please don't take it the wrong way. :)

20. Drunken_Jackal

Drunken_Jackal

Resources:
    Resources:
    Creating a game/map is art. I would call somebody foolish if they said it wasn't.
    Even ask those CEO's of big game companies, im sure they would agree.
    Creating a game is logic + art, but more on art, since we use our imagination.