1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

I can never stick with an idea

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by Marine, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Drunken_Jackal

Drunken_Jackal

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well if you wanna be motivated:
    1. Announce your project
    2. You get many people who likes in and they will pressure you to finish it, since nobody wants to disappoint fans.
    3. ???
    4. PROFIT!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. Afisti

Afisti

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Garena is structured by Rooms, there are Dota rooms and RPG rooms (everything else), just go to RPG rooms if you wanna find other games.

They haven't got complex triggers, but they got unique design (except Castle Wars). Keep in mind that Green TD was made something like 7 years ago, and Vamprism 6-7 i think. And come on, have you ever seen a TD with units before Legion TD?

3. WaterKnight

WaterKnight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Even 6-7 years ago, there were such simple td and tag maps like Green TD/Vampirism. A TD with units, well there were some where you could spawn something on the lanes like blockers or mines or have a movable hero and other mixes of towers and unit control. I do admit that Legion TD has this one unique twist but that's as far as it goes. Everything else it pretty much old concepts and with design I also mean the art. Those popular maps hardly have any imports or a themed style.

4. InfinateAnswers

InfinateAnswers

Resources:
    Resources:
    i dont mind about disappointing people, if im not having fun with the project, then i wont work on it.

5. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes, I understand the structure behind Garena. The problem is, the only maps I ever see in those RPG rooms is unfortunately dota. Like having a dozen+ dota rooms isn't enough.

Furthermore, I hadn't seen a "TD" where your towers turned into uncontrollable units requiring a bit of an RPG mindset (stretching this thin, can't think of another way to put it) in that you should put your tanks in front and healers in the rear.

Well, there's a somewhat newer map (2008 or 2009 methinks) called YouTD which attacks all of the things you're talking about. There's no such thing as a standard wc3 model. The arena of the map looks really good. There's an extremely complex damage system that is practically unheard of in wc3, except perhaps in TKOK. All custom abilities, items, etc. And to put one more twist on it, it's a community-made map where anyone can contribute an item or spell to the map. It's also random as to what levels you will get so the replay value is through the roof.

While it is hard to make "unique" maps, as far as it being impossible, I would have to disagree--although, I do have to say it is improbable to do so. Even so, if the game is fun, and there's enough of a fanbase, there is a possibility that your map could do well. It doesn't need all sorts of fancy models (Besides, that just hikes up the filesize for pure aesthetics) even though they do make the game look better.

If you're worried about people not wanting to play your map, just make a really pretty post about it here on the hive, and you'll gather SOME attention as long as it is coherent. WHat you do with that attention afterwards is up to you :)

6. Drunken_Jackal

Drunken_Jackal

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well most dont like to disappoint, well I also dont mind.
    I just apologize though.
    I love to see the look on the faces of die hard fans of a huge project with like 1000+ replies dies :D

7. WaterKnight

WaterKnight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Although a lot of the existing DotA rooms are empty most of the time.

Other TDs require you to put your towers in an order too but the least have aggressive runners that can destroy them, which is why it normally matters less.

I know YouTD. Infact it was made by gexxo, a user who was active on inwarcraft.de and also posted about it there. As expected, with the community contributing towers, the TD again was not theme-based except being of an element, which is very 08/15. The terrain is still wc3ish, the damage system a simple rock-paper-scissors or what do you mean? The upgrading of towers through gained materials was a twist but not very useful and random too. Now, that you mention items, there are hardly TDs where you have to apply charged items or in general make use of fading resources.

I have said the same. A lot of popular maps are not that aesthetic nor have imported stuff.

8. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I got the opposite of your problem:
    I always want to let loose of Gaias Retaliation ORPG, but somehow it always mystically calls me back, even if I don't have the time for it... :(

I graveyarded the map two times now, but in the end, I always ended up adding something new to it even after months of abstinence.

9. OMGOMGOMG

OMGOMGOMG

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Zwiebelchen I stopped making my map... And then it called me back.. and ever since that day I have been adding a bunch new stuff, making it better.

I have the same problem as you. :p I like this map and its going to get finished cause of this. I don't care if people say "oh, now that's just shit!" or something along those lines.

I have yet to come past a comment saying that....... Thread:

http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php/171440-Another-RolePlay-map-P

10. RandomPogi

RandomPogi

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very True.

11. Map Designer

Map Designer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Initial problem: mapper lose motivation.

Following problem: Unlike the old days, good maps do not receive that much attention or are not cared about.

Then, let us make it TO THE BETTER... solutions

12. The Wizard

The Wizard

Resources:
    Resources:
    there are some reasons
    1) mapmaker as an artist has TOO MUCH ideas. one day you like your work, next day you wake up with new ideas on it and your old ones seem silly to you. you are remaking your map again and again...
    2) your work can't satisfy you at all. somewhat similar to #1. this feeling appears when you see many other maps and you find some great [insert the object of envy]. you want these thing too and result is clear(see #1)

solution: brand-new ideas. for now everyone wants big sweety map full of custom models. what the players need - original gameplay. gameplay is the most important for game. graphics are on second place.

thanks for attention

13. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'd guess the main culprit for most people here is that they are interested in either

A) The concept
    B) Doing something challenging

and once they get past the initial thing they were interested in they lose steam because they weren't actually interested in the final product. If you find a map that you genuinely want to play and have other people play it's quite easy to finish, at least in my experience (that's how I finally finished a map).

14. DrizztDoUrden

DrizztDoUrden

Resources:
    Resources:
    Often, death of a project (not only a map) is caused by bad planning. Project leader always has to plan all the work because of two reasons:
    1) Fans will be happy to see progress. Happy fans - good reason to work.
    2) People themself will see progress they made, which will make them happier too.
    Also he has to choose who must do some parts of work very carefully. Giving guy too easy work will make him lazier and giving too hard will demotive him to do anything - he will go sad if he can't handle it.
    Also you must never do story/items/smth like that first. Because if u made nothing exept that your work will be almost useless. You alway have to begin from codding, then you will do everything else.

15. jxtranghero

jxtranghero

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think because the temperature now is too hot

16. mckill2009

mckill2009

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    if you have hundreds of ideas for a map/spell/system etc...finish the one that suits you more, you cant finish even one if you keep on creating a new one...

17. KuWe

KuWe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I usually has this problem when the map I'm making becomes too large (too many ideas) and snowballs out of control and then I lose all my interest towards it because I realise I can never finish it in a reasonable amount of time.

18. DrizztDoUrden

DrizztDoUrden

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good idea if u can't handle creating a map - to make a team o mappers and to try together. And it will be much better if teamleader has some positive experience.

19. Malvodion

Malvodion

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I lost motivation for a lot of reasons, mostly because I have a lot of very complex ideas that were pretty much imposible to make, atleast alone, and because even if I was able to make the maps people wouldn't play them, because most of the wc3 players nowdays only care about simple maps with generic and easy gameplay and can't be bothered to learn new ones.

20. FockeWulf

FockeWulf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I am soo glad I am not an artist. At least not in the traditional sense.

I'm an engineer: I like making something that works and is used. A map to me is more like a problem and I like to find solutions.

In fact I got through over halfway the mechanical engineering program before I decided I liked CS better.

Still its very much a grind. I have found ways to help though. If I want to force myself to work on WW2 Diplo after so much rejection and dissapointments I usually just kick on greatest tank battles or pull out my copy of "The Longest Day" or some other WW2 Film.

That was actually a big key. Watching a show, movie, clip or even playing a video game based on the theme really helped to motivate me and a few other mappers have done the same thing.

Which means I have to avoid watching Star Trek or I start doing things like this:
    [​IMG]

Or I watch Red October (one of my favs) and stuff like this starts comming out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]