1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

I can never stick with an idea

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by Marine, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    DotA is original? since when? its idea is a rip-off of the SC map AoS just in case you don't know...

and I agree with Arhowk a bit... it is mostly what keeps wc3 alive, but not the only thing keeping it alive...

2. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    I cannot tell you how many times I've told someone I'm playing wc3 and they're like "What's that" and I'm like "It's got dota" and they're like "OH You're playing dota?" -.-

Some of those dota people don't even know it's called warcraft 3. I'd hardly say those people are "keeping wc3 alive"

3. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Maps firstly reflect the current games of the market and after some point, certain people start being creative (=try to avoid the cliches, e.g. world being created out of four elements, which are the primary stooges of a mage or the initiating classes being warrior and mage).

Most modders have much to learn from the gaming industries, while most gaming industries have much to learn from the modders.

4. JB_McKnight

JB_McKnight

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Some reasons why some mappers discontinue projects:

:fp: they run out of ideas
    :fp: they meet a problem and they don't have any access to a solution or HELP
    :fp: Boredom
    :fp: They develop ideas for other projects, and decide to discontinue their current projects to start on the new project

ps. The longest you've been working on a map was Three Days??

pfffftt!!

Mine is 3 years!!! (And still ongoing) :goblin_good_job:

5. sonofjay

sonofjay

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What is dota? is that a map on warcraft 3?

What keeping wc3 alive is hive XD. No actually wc3 is alive because of people who still treasure this game.

6. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah, sonofjay, I agree. I don't play on bnet anymore, but I play on Garena all the time with my buddies. we'll probably play it till we run out of games to play. :p

7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Inspiring yourself from a game genre isn't stealing. It's not very original though. I don't like those people who take a map and put their name on it and even put cheats only they know on it and then protect the map too.

Boredom will be not present if you truly want to create a map. Laziness is the actual factor that keeps you from doing so.

8. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    my warcraft 3 maps arent based on other projects but i just hope that i can get some of them released soon. i do work on starcraft 2 maps as well though.

9. Animalpower

Animalpower

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nor mine nor 70% of the mappers. There is always somebody who knows if you stole the map. Most of these copied maps spoked of are rejected.

10. InfinateAnswers

InfinateAnswers

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is why i quit doing maps, and stuck to doing spells for people who wanted them, and giving my friends original spell ideas for their maps, i cannot make a uniform map before i start working, i dont have a goal, i never get my map to a testing stage, and my lack of patience and high laziness makes me quit on the idea all together.

11. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    my ideas are always mine. (faction war, war over land, sea war, blood and magic and all races.) my maps usually reach a public test stage.

12. limuka

limuka

Resources:
    Resources:
    Meh... I just work at more then 1 map at once... if i get an idea for one map then i start on that one again etc etc
    And i agree... Hive is what keeps Wc3 alive.
    Except that ive stopped quite alot on maps... mainly just out of boredom... or cuz one of my friends dislikes the map while im making it xD
    Then again i mainly only make maps to play with some friends and deleted it after... xD
    Maybe i should stop doing that... Oh well, My maps suck anyway :p

13. Radiv

Radiv

Resources:
    Resources:
    yeah...
    me to.

14. RandomPogi

RandomPogi

Resources:
    Resources:
    For me, the best way to continue is don't treat it like work, treat it like a hobby, be optimistic, have a team with the same enthusiasm, and take breaks. No one can work forever without resting.

15. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    Taking breaks can be dangerous if not done right.

For instance, I was forced to take a break in the middle of creating the biggest system in my map, and due to various reasons I was unable to work on the map for a couple days. When I came back, I had NO IDEA where I was going with that system, because I was trying to make this whole system run off of 2 triggers instead of the 5 I originally figured it would require. Even though I left comments, I can stare at it for 30 minutes and still not figure out what the hell I was thinking. I was so sure that I could get it to work, too.

Anyway, the point of this monologue is that breaks are important, but shouldn't be taken unless you can pick up where you left off, lol.

16. WaterKnight

WaterKnight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I take a lot of time structuring my code, which is why I still have a clue after months and years of not touching the project. This must be hell for GUI users lol.

17. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes. It is. lol....

18. Afisti

Afisti

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Lack of audience, and people have become too much demanding.
    Back in 2004-2005 it was incredible, you had tons of new maps being made day after day, you had:

-Bugz vs Humans (TAG)
    -Sheep Tag (TAG)
    -Hero Wars (AOS)
    -Dota Classic (AOS)
    -Dota Allstars (AOS)
    -Ghouls Wars (Arena)
    -X Hero Siege (Hero Defense)
    -Golden Tournament (something like an Arena but a bit different)
    -Diablo Duel (Arena)
    -Ninja vs Samurai (Arena-Stealth)
    -Wintermaul (TD)
    -Mafarazzo TD (TD)
    -Kodo Tag (TAG)
    -Autumn's Crossing (TD)
    -Burbenog TD (TD)
    -Tree Tag (TAG)
    -Vampirism (TAG)
    -Green TD (TD)
    -Battleships and Battletanks (particular AOS)
    -Life of a Peasant and its spinoffs (LOAP)
    -Darwin's Island
    -Gang Wars & Gang Wars Tournament
    -Helm's Deep (Hero Defense)
    -7 Blademasters, DH, Paladins etc...
    -Parasite
    -Werewolf & Dark Deeds
    -Are you a retard & its spinoffs
    -Line Tower Wars (TW)
    -Tropical Tower Wars (TW)
    -Hero line wars (HLW)
    -Europa (RTS)
    -Fall (and Rise) of Rome (RTS)

and maaaaaaaany others.
    Now, except Battleships, battletanks, Dota Allstars and maybe line tower and hero line wars, every map has basic gameplay, triggering and nearly no imported models, and you know what? People didn't give a fuck about that, as long as it was fun it was good. Legolas even had Sylvanas model!!!
    Now i don't know what it's wrong with people, but if the map you're hosting hasn't got kickass imported models and/or a complex triggering, you won't get it played unless it is already famous.
    The only maps i see hosted are Green TD, Legion TD, Castle Wars, Vampirism and few others (on Garena).
    I've seen just a new map in 2 years and it's Survival Chaos (that is a bit boring, it's quite good but a bit boring after a while).
    Also, it's a lot difficult to get your map famous now because of the lack of people playing wc3. In 2004 you posted in on WC3sear, EpicWar, hosted it on bnet and if it was cool, in a matter of days your map would spam the custom game list.
    Now it is unlikely that it will ever happen.

19. WaterKnight

WaterKnight

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My impressions are that technical features are not that important. Most people are not versed anyway but what they want is flashiness and be busy playing it without too hard setbacks, being able to pwn the enemy or raising your strength. Infact, a lot of shitty or very simple maps are played or at least known.

You want to tell me that those have got complex triggers and a unique design?

The abuse of bots enabled/disabled a lot.

20. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    Legion TD has a unique twist to it, for sure, WaterKnight.

For me the only reason I don't play Legion TD on BNet is because the bots want a full house, in which games rarely make it past level 8, and I would rather play 20+ levels.

Anyway, on BNet, I see the occasional random map hosted, but if there isn't a bot hosting it, nobody will bother playing it. So unless you have a bot ready your map won't get hosted (On BNet)

No idea where people find games other than dota on Garena. all I ever see is dota, so I just go to the (TFT) other wc3 one instead and play with a handful of friends instead.