• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] Hero Ideas for a man who can't do triggers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So I'll preface by repeating the title and say I am hugely inexperienced with the trigger editor, and I don't have any greater idea for what this map will be(Probably a series of dungeon crawls or raids)
I've got 3 basic hero types: Ranged(using Agility)
Melee(Using Strength)
And Magic(Using Int... with one exception)

I'm using pretty much only abilities I can make using the unit editor directly, but I'm stumped on ideas for how to built my melee hero series.(Pic below of the lineup)
I really just need ideas like: "This one should be built around aoe stomps and disables!" because I've run out of juice after my ranged and magic heroes.
Really, anything is welcome, I just need something to start from XD

Attachments

• 20210626_223906.jpg
    20210626_223906.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Level 21
Let me encourage you to at least tinker around with basic GUI triggers for custom spells, which in most cases is enough to spice up the general gameplay.

With only custom sfx of default abilities it gets stale very quickly, since most players have seen that for decades (literally).

Some steps:
Google for Dota heroes and their spells, many aren't that hard to trigger.
Use Bribe's Damage Engine or something comparable. It's very easy to set up and will prove invaluable.

Level 2
For someone who has never used more triggers than one that makes damage scale with ability damage(Which promptly broke everything and stopped working) the Damage Engine has a lot of triggers. I have no idea how to make this work. I also have no JASS or any other language experience.

Level 21
Well there are demonstrations in the damage engine map in the demo section of triggers.
Basically you can ignore the folder "Damage Engine" because that's really high level coding.
You can also check the FAQ in the thread, lots of handy info there.

I'm sure it will come to you quickly, if not skip it for now.

Level 2
Well there are demonstrations in the damage engine map in the demo section of triggers.
Basically you can ignore the folder "Damage Engine" because that's really high level coding.
You can also check the FAQ in the thread, lots of handy info there.

I'm sure it will come to you quickly, if not skip it for now.
The most trigger editing I've ever done was trying to make a spell scale with an attribute and it never worked. And I've been trying to rework some of the basic demo triggers to do something different, so far the best I've gotten is a modifcation of the Knight demo that gives a random chance to gain mana on hit, and it's janky and took me all day to sort of make work.

Triggers really hate me

Level 15
I've run out of juice after my ranged and magic heroes
Understandable, after creating cool abilities for ranged and magic heroes it can be hard to keep the creative juices flowing for warrior and tanky Heroes.

However I really, really, cannot stress how much I agree with the sentiment of the previous posters. A little bit of extra knowledge in the trigger editor not only means more originality for your Hero's abilities, but also grants you a wider pastel from which to paint your heroes' kits with. With this in mind I will tell you that the best place to start would be in looking in to dummy abilities and configuring an already existing trigger to suit your needs. I do not mean to say any of this pejoratively, I am simply sharing a suggestion that I would've liked to hear when I first started mapping.

That aside, in conforming to your request for ideas that do not involve the trigger editor, I have limited suggestions. An example of how limiting it is would be the Warstomp and Thunderclap base abilities. These abilities oft serve as a melee Hero's bread and butter yet may cause severe lag issues in large maps overpopulated with doodads. Despite this, by way of a lil' tomfoolery, you can make some pretty original and awesome abilities by using negative values in the object editor. By pressing SHIFT + ENTER in a field you can input a negative value for an ability, letting you invert their values. This leads to my ability suggestion, a Fear Aura.

The Fear Aura would essentially be an inverted version of Endurance Aura, with enemy units as the affected unit for the aura. The aura would reduce the attack speed and movement speed of nearby enemy units, effectively making the melee hero a debilitating presence on the field while allowing them some flexibility in pursuing a hero that they have managed to catch up to. The values would be best adjusted as you see fit, but it is important to remember how much damage can be lost in a ~20% loss to attack speed. Tune it well, and you will find it to be a very fun aura to run around with, especially combined with Storm Bolt and perhaps a defensive such as a self-affecting roar that grants hit point regeneration and armor over time.

Overall I wish you luck on your project, no matter what it turns out to be! My hope is that once you finish your heroes' framework and you have an idea of what you want to make, that you post a thread of it in Map Development so that we can see some of the awesome things you've done so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.