• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I believe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Was it CnP? I find it difficult to believe you wrote all that in the time between post and edit.

-------------------------------

Your theory holds no more water than mine (by your logic). To quote you:
"You're not ready, nor prepared, to accept other viewpoints, nor challenge them with an appropriate and well tailored, first hand argument."
How is any of this a first hand argument?

Looking at your evidence, and the evidence given by everyone else, I consider it logical, and reasonable, to believe in a round Earth.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Is that "okay" aimed at the edits I made?

Nope, I'll reply to them here. I'll just report Anachron's post first.... Annnnd done.

Your theory holds no more water than mine (by your logic). To quote you:
"You're not ready, nor prepared, to accept other viewpoints, nor challenge them with an appropriate and well tailored, first hand argument."
How is any of this a first hand argument?

Looking at your evidence, and the evidence given by everyone else, I consider it logical, and reasonable, to believe in a round Earth.

I've just disproven gravity, answered all your questions and given a general framework of flat earth theory, and I still don't think you've read/tackled it all :p It seems like a 'I read the first paragraph but nothing else' answer, at best.

If my theory holds as much as yours, then why don't you consider it logical and reasonable to believe in both theories?

EDIT EDIT:
Was it CnP? I find it difficult to believe you wrote all that in the time between post and edit.
Just read your CnP comment in the first post. The Quotes were, which take up the bulk of the post, whilst the rest is CnP'd from arguments I've made.

Level 14
Depends where you are, seriously. Schools ofcourse are public, but you are disallowed to make any photos.

Are you unable or unwilling to read?

"Public buildings / property != government property. Government property is private, not public, property."

No, you miss something, generally they are not allowed to take the texts.
They must underline a paper that they are allowed.

Only if you live in Stalinist Russia. We have freedom of reporting in Europe.

Captain Griffen, what about the law that I am allowed to let all of my information which are on internet be removed if I wish so?

What you do is not your information. It is actions, that can be reported on. As can basic information. There is no law that lets you remove all your information from the internet. Data protection acts govern it, but they give only limited control in specific ways, and no power to let you take down correct information about your actions.

Level 34
I've just disproven gravity, answered all your questions and given a general framework of flat earth theory, and I still don't think you've read/tackled it all :p It seems like a 'I read the first paragraph but nothing else' answer, at best.

If my theory holds as much as yours, then why don't you consider it logical and reasonable to believe in both theories?
No, no, I skim read. ;)

I didn't say it wasn't logical, or reasonable, I said a round Earth was more logical and reasonable. Although I do believe it's unreasonable for you to come to the conclusion that the Earth is flat.

As well, I never said the theory of gravity was correct, or anything relating to gravity. I can't even tell if you've disproven gravity, since I can barely wade through what you posted. I have no backing in physics, apart from what is taught in high school, which is very limited.

I would again like to point out that you said, "You're not ready, nor prepared, to accept other viewpoints, nor challenge them with an appropriate and well tailored, first hand argument."
None of this is first hand. You're basing everything off of other people's work. We obviously don't have time to test every theory of science, even in the field you might be studying, and have to take accepted theory's for granted.

I take gravity for granted. I don't feel compelled to study it, and so I accept whatever is accepted by a majority willing to study it. If there is no general consensus, I take no side. This is generally how "knowledge" works.

Level 35
What about meteors?

If everything is traveling 'up' at a constant rate..And the earth is flat...

flatearthanti.png

A) would be impossible, since everything is moving at a constant rate 'upwards' the meteors would never hit, or else even if they are indeed traveling downwards to hit the surface of a flat earth the ones that miss the earth would inevitably fling themselves past the earth and into the void below....which...if everything is traveling 'up' at a constant rate, then nothing should be able to escape the upward thrust of the universe's course. Not even meteors.

B) Everything traveling upward at a constant rate means that inorder for anything to hit the earth, it must be using a bumper car like effect. Horizontal impact, which...we have clear evidence of vertical impact craters.

C) Everything going upwards...

Either the meteors move at the same constant rate as the earth and never hit it.

Or they break the constant speed physics this universe has wrapped around it, and they strike the mantle and core...which would not make an impact crater, or any of the effects we've seen with meteors. (See the meteor that hit Russia)

Then we have the visual in the corner, which is just a thought and not as thought out as the rest but still...

If the Earth is flat and moves upward at a constant rate simulating gravity...

Then why is it that free particles or objects like a ball, or a man jumping/bouncing up and down...inevitably go down...but the atmosphere being made up of free particles does not collapse? If the earth is flat then the atmosphere should itself, be flat. and not a dome. Even mountains settle and flatten over time, the less dense atmosphere should flatten in no time.

Level 34
Huzzah for burning Gallileo at the stake!
Yeah, I don't like how I said that. I won't bother editing it, but I'll change what I said here.

I was taught the basic idea of gravity; the stuff they cram in you during school. It made sense to me, and no one refuted it, and so I figured it was true. Lately I've seen arguments against it (PurplePoot being one of the first to talk to me about it), and now I've got a different view of it all. Basically I figure there's some truth to the original theories, but there are probably some flaws. I have no interest in finding out what really keeps us to the Earth, so I just take no "stand". I couldn't care less about the theory of gravity.

Level 35
It's not moving at a constant rate at all...? It's accellerating at a constant rate in its own non-inertial frame of reference. But why should meteors be moving at exactly the same speed?

Q: "What about gravity?"

A: The Earth is accelerating upwards at 1g (9.8m/s^2) along with every star, sun and moon in the universe. This produces the same effect as gravity. Einstein proved this.

Q: "Doesn't this mean we'd be traveling faster than the speed of light, which is impossible?"

A: The equations of Special Relativity prevent an object from accelerating to the speed of light. Due to this restriction, these equations prove that an object can accelerate at a constant rate forever, and never reach the speed of light. See in depth explanation.

Q: "If the world was really flat, what would happen if you jump off the disc's edge?"

A: You would enter an inertial reference frame, moving at a constant velocity in the direction the Earth was moving before you jumped. The Earth would continue accelerating upwards past you at a rate of 1g, so it would appear to you that you were falling into space.

Everything is still supposed to be traveling 'up'. Meteors would not travel 'down'.

On another note:

How did a flat earth happen to form? And what of the other planets?

Why are stars and other celestial bodies spherical, and yet not the earth? Wouldn't the earth have been formed in a similar fashion to the rest of the universe's celestial devices?

What properties in physics, would have possibly allowed such a strange cylindrical formation, where as the other bodies are spheres? Assuming that they were not carved that way.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Everything is still supposed to be traveling 'up'. Meteors would not travel 'down'.

On another note:

How did a flat earth happen to form? And what of the other planets?

Why are stars and other celestial bodies spherical, and yet not the earth? Wouldn't the earth have been formed in a similar fashion to the rest of the universe's celestial devices?

What properties in physics, would have possibly allowed such a strange cylindrical formation, where as the other bodies are spheres? Assuming that they were not carved that way.
Take it up with Einstein:
With general relativity, Einstein managed to blur forever the distinction between real and fictitious forces. General relativity is his theory of gravity, and gravity is certainly the paradigmatic example of a "real" force. The cornerstone of Einstein's theory, however, is the proposition that gravity is itself a fictitious force (or, rather, that it is indistinguishable from a fictitious force)
Einstein noted that observers standing on the Earth are experiencing an unrecognized acceleration from the normal force pushing up on their feet and, thus, are in a non-inertial (accelerated) reference frame. Further details may be found under general relativity.

Also, your god made the flat earth, silly. If you think this is a silly answer, then consider the question :p

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Q: "What about the stars, sun and moon and other planets? Are they flat too? What are they made of?"

A: The sun and moon, each 32 miles in diameter, circle Earth at a height of 3000 miles at its equator, located midway between the North Pole and the ice wall. A dense and unique gravitational field warps the path of the light rays creating a lower perceived sun or moon from greater distances. This continues until the light intersects the Earth appearing to set. Their apparent rising and setting are caused by the interruption of the horizon.

As for why the Earth's flat and nothing else is, that's an issue you'll have to take up with your god, I only have my theories.

Level 35
Q: "What about the stars, sun and moon and other planets? Are they flat too? What are they made of?"

A: The sun and moon, each 32 miles in diameter, circle Earth at a height of 3000 miles at its equator, located midway between the North Pole and the ice wall. A dense and unique gravitational field warps the path of the light rays creating a lower perceived sun or moon from greater distances. This continues until the light intersects the Earth appearing to set. Their apparent rising and setting are caused by the interruption of the horizon.

The Space Place :: How do scientists know the distance between the planets? :D

As for why the Earth's flat and nothing else is, that's an issue you'll have to take up with your god, I only have my theories.

My God made a round and spherical earth. ^^

Level 35
Cue elenai's infamous stand off logic. You're not showing me anything to stop me thinking that the Earth is flat, which is the point of the thread, Spammer ;)

I have :D

Why do you think the world is flat? If you are not quite a believer in any deity who would have made the world into a cylinder, and evidence shows that the world was either formed or made as such...into a sphere. Tell us what provokes this 'belief' (since you are obviously playing devil's advocate), and we might be more apt to provide more specific evidence.

Level 7
I really don't get the point of this thread...
Do you desire that strongly for people to prove you wrong...?
As far as I can see, no matter what anyone says you won't change your mind Ash, even if you are constantly saying: "Prove me wrong! Prove me wrong!" I really don't understand why other guys even try to prove your theory incorrect when it just seems impossible due to your strong belief. You have right to believe in what you want and so does everyone else, so why continue this discussion when neither of sides will step away from their opinion...? When neither sides can prove that they are right nor wrong?
I mean it was interesting for a time, but you guys just keep on going in circles and repeating the same thing you said 3-4 posts earlier: "The world is flat! The world is round! The world is flat!...etc... that's all...

Ash

Ash

Level 22
I have :D

Why do you think the world is flat? If you are not quite a believer in any deity who would have made the world into a cylinder, and evidence shows that the world was either formed or made as such...into a sphere. Tell us what provokes this 'belief' (since you are obviously playing devil's advocate), and we might be more apt to provide more specific evidence.

I believe in it because it's the most obvious answer. Gravity has been proven wrong, thus we'd all fall off from the edges of the earth, and there is no other, really viable, answer except that of the earth being flat. Think about it, how illogical is it, seriously, that we're all flying through the universe stuck to giant rocks. It doesn't make sense, in the slightest, really.

I've already stated my points in the massive post I left in the other page, so that's your best place to start if you'd like to challenge what I've think.

Yet, once again, it is the end of another day and I've still only seen the 1 well thought through argument.
I really don't get the point of this thread...
Do you desire that strongly for people to prove you wrong...?
As far as I can see, no matter what anyone says you won't change your mind Ash, even if you are constantly saying: "Prove me wrong! Prove me wrong!" I really don't understand why other guys even try to prove your theory incorrect when it just seems impossible due to your strong belief. You have right to believe in what you want and so does everyone else, so why continue this discussion when neither of sides will step away from their opinion...? When neither sides can prove that they are right nor wrong?
I mean it was interesting for a time, but you guys just keep on going in circles and repeating the same thing you said 3-4 posts earlier: "The world is flat! The world is round! The world is flat!...etc... that's all...
The point is, you can't construct a self-created logical and well structured arguement. And that's rather sad. I'd like to decently discuss my belief in a minority-supported theory compaired to that of your beliefs in the majority-supported school of thought, and so far, you haven't really been able to do that.

Level 7
But, seriously, neither one of us can prove that the world is flat nor round since no one traveled around the entire world, and neither did you Ash, so your evidence is based on the same level that evidence of round-world believers is, its on some scientific facts or some shit other people said, nothing more. So my point is that this discussion can go on forever, or until one of us packs his bags and sets on a world-traveling adventure to check what is true and what isn't...

Level 21
On the basis that you don't trust what most scientists agree upon, a lot of things may be acceptable.
No one ever got his head opened in front on me. Thus, I don't believe we have a skull or a brain, the head is full of paprika-flavoured crisps. PROVE ME WRONG. Come here and bash your head open on my desk (so i can have some nice crisps while playing far cry2).

Level 4
When Columb was young he said : The world is a ball(Of course he made the fucking system wrong and every body wanted to burn him)So he ran away far far in the ocean he know the world was flat so he didn't go anywhere he stayed there(Somewhere near) when he was low on food he went to a isle and took (That leaf that is in Canada's flag)and perfumed it so it looked more Smoky(Smokable looking :D) then he went home and said:i traveled bla bla and bla i was even in bla... (AFTER 26minutes --->)...so i found this plant, go ahead and try it (Dude smokes it...)and he says : Mmmm... Nicotine.... So then every body started smoking and believed him....
after 150 years NASA photo photographed earth and the picture is like this:
so they made AREA 51.
why 51 you ask because

___________ is the same as __________
N|51515151515| Is the same as|2121212121|
N|15151515151|
Is the same as|1212121212|
N|5151|ASANA
Is the same as NASANA|121|
N|15151515151|
Is the same as|1212121212|
N|51515151515|
Is the same as|2121212121|
NASANA|15151|
Is the same as |121|NASANA
N|51515151515|
Is the same as|2121212121|
N|15151515151|
Is the same as |121212121|
5 is 2 2 is 1+1 so then 5 is 1+1 so then what?
YOU CONTINUE...
so lets start the interactive game "WORLD IS FLAT OF IS IT?"
:)

Level 27
Well how can you beat something like, how the hell are you supposed to travel into the same direction and end up at the exact same position where you started from if the world is flat?

While if you would try it would actually work?

Or do you live in the midle ages or something like a roleplay >.>

Level 18
I've heard that you are a psihology student thus I think this thread is some kind of a experiment? Just my guess. I don't think you believe Earth is literally flat, you just want to contradict some theories such as gravity, and it's just a colorful expression, the same goes for the flatearth societies etc.

Oh now I remembered you told frost in THW chat to join you in HC chat that you explain him something about this thread. Since you dislike the users here I guess this is a joke to see how stupid they can get in responding to useless threads. Look I'm responding you can put me on your stupid list.

Anyhow I don't really care is the Earth flat or not. Science is a religion, and it thought me Earth is round. I won't contradict that. I won't really care about that. After giving it a thought, just to reply to the thread, here is my *something*:

Let's move a bit further from Earth. Suppose I look at the sky, during day or night. I always see the Sun or the Moon as round objects. Maybe they are flat however the flat area is round? But they should rotate and thus not appear round at all time. Thus I come to the conclusion they are round. So what's with Earth? Natures major flaw perhaps if your theory is correct.

As said, I don't really care.

Edit: None of my pants has zippers. I have buttons? Lol never really realized that.

Science is wrong? Don't care if it is.

Technology is evil? I like my computer, I like my TV, I like my cell, I like my electricity. I don't have anything against it.

Level 13
Well how can you beat something like, how the hell are you supposed to travel into the same direction and end up at the exact same position where you started from if the world is flat?

While if you would try it would actually work?

Or do you live in the midle ages or something like a roleplay >.>
There are teleporters at the edge of the world to teleport you to the other edge.

Level 34
What are you guys trying to point out? That we can't prove anything? That we can only prove to ourselves through first hand experience? What?

We accept that the world is round, because we are told so. Since (practically) no one denies the idea of a round world, we never even question it.

Level 21
You were there on those events?
If not, prove they actually happened.

(before I get bad rep for negationnism, I am not suggesting they didn't happen. If you are offensed, please allow me to say that I'm really sorry, and I didn't mean in any way to lack respect to ANY former nazi.)

Last edited:
Level 40
What are you guys trying to point out? That we can't prove anything? That we can only prove to ourselves through first hand experience? What?

We accept that the world is round, because we are told so. Since (practically) no one denies the idea of a round world, we never even question it.
(practically) no one used to deny that it was flat, but sadly somehow people were eventually deluded.

Level 34
...and this, gentlemen, is how the Jews found themselves in the gas chambers. How Gallileo found himself hounded. How slavery carried on unabated. Because no one thought for themselves.
Are we to question everything? I don't think we can even try and question everything life offers.

(practically) no one used to deny that it was flat, but sadly somehow people were eventually deluded.
Your point being?

Level 14
You were there on those events?
If not, prove they actually happened.

Whether or not they actually happened is only marginally relevant to the point.

Are we to question everything? I don't think we can even try and question everything life offers.

So reality isn't important to you? You'd rather live a lie because it's easier?

Level 34
So reality isn't important to you? You'd rather live a lie because it's easier?
You paint things black and white. I either question life, or I'm a headless follower. I question what I feel I need to question.

So do you honestly believe the world is flat? I believe it's round because I'm told it is, and I see no reason to believe otherwise.

Level 17
...and this, gentlemen, is how the Jews found themselves in the gas chambers. How Gallileo found himself hounded. How slavery carried on unabated. Because no one thought for themselves.

I'm alive and living happily in my little bubble of ignorance. I am not dead, nor am I in any sort of agony. I am perfectly content.

Why should I give a shit if the world is flat or round? Ok, suppose you find out the truth. Then what?

Who gives a fuck. "Ignorance is bliss" and all that..

I'm alive and living happily in my little bubble of ignorance. I am not dead, nor am I in any sort of agony. I am perfectly content.

Why should I give a shit if the world is flat or round? Ok, suppose you find out the truth. Then what?

Who gives a fuck. "Ignorance is bliss" and all that..

QTF and +rep for this true statement. Who cares...

Status
Not open for further replies.