1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Bill Gates: "I have no use for money"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Nuclear, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...have-no-use-for-money.-This-is-Gods-work.html

If only other unbelievably rich followed his example
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes_list_of_billionaires#2012_Top_10

2. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Apparently he is doing wonders at combating Malaria. Hopefully he could remove it as a major international desease in the next 20 years.

3. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    This is just another marketing trick. "Support the poor, buy our product!" Typical.

4. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Zombie, you clearly have not seen the work his charity does.

5. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Irrelevant. Charity always has been a good method to gain social acknowledgment with which you can justify A) being bloody rich B) selling a crap product. Mr. Gates has always been criticized for accumulating too much wealth for no reason, with investing into charity, these critics are silenced and his company can carry on with being acknowledged for social responsibility.

It doesn't matter what you achieve with charitable contributions, what matters is that you still have 99% of your income on your personal bank account. With good media campaign (and achievements, of course) however, you can tune up that 1% to look like more, with which everyone will go "awww, he's such a nice person, using all his money for good deeds". That will also make your product sell better, since people won't only avoid turning away with disgust, they will feel involved with your charitable activities.

As I said, just marketing.

6. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah? Tell me, what products does Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation sell?

Did you even read anything?

I think you lack understanding here.

7. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    My second paragraph was pointing at companies using charity in general, not Gates in particular. It was meant to illustrate a point, not to refer to this specific case.

Also, I was not talking about the products of the foundation either, I was referring to the fact that Bill Gates still acts as an important Microsoft stakeholder; his deeds will always be correlated to the company, which obviously doesn't give away 95% of its revenue to charity.

8. Pyramidhe@d

Pyramidhe@d

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    its a whole lot better than what steve job has done. which is to just die.

9. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Can't argue with that. Also is better than what the Rothschild family is doing.

10. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    And what on earth does Gates' personal deeds have to do with his position with Microsoft? Even if his charity did increase Microsoft's reputation, which I doubt, it still wouldn't matter at all since Gates isn't actively promoting MS via his foundation.

11. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    No need to do so, Microsoft is an established brand, everyone also knows the company's relation to Gates. As I said:

Doing the opposite would be like evaluating nazism without Hitler.

12. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    Do you think that someone is going to see this and think "Oh, Microsoft is such a good company" or go buy their products? And even if they did, why would it matter?

13. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Neither directly, nor consciously, but it does. It always helps sales if people don't think your company is socially irresponsible.

14. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Why are people making fun of gates...

There were, are and will be far worse people with similar, if not more, money.

What about..
    Carlos Slim? Mexican tycoon and richest person in the world.
    Larry Ellison? CEO of the evil Oracle Corporation.

In the past there was John D. Rockefeller, whos wealth was so large (comparitive to the time) that it is reconed he would have more money than all 10 of the worlds richest people combined if it was subject to inflation.

15. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    You accusations of marketing tricks remain asinine. Certainly a very expensive marketing campaign they have going on there.

16. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    DSG, what other people do with their wealth has nothing to do with what I said. The typical "I'm better than others just because I do this" argument is void when observing a single case, irrelevant of the context.

Also, Nuclear, if you want to show results, you have to reach deep into your pocket. The social contribution of the foundation is still marginal compared to the revenue of Microsoft.

17. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    And why is this relevant? It seems to me that you're making a nonexistent link between Microsoft and the foundation.

18. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    It's relevant because your argument of the campaign being expensive is contradicted.

Also, I answered to that link thingy already, like twice:

We're doing circles.

19. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    I ridiculed your claim of that being a marketing trick by pointing out that giving several billions to charity is not very efficient marketing. Please elaborate this contradiction.

Let's see your original comment
    Now, are you being serious? I'm not talking about mental links such as MS being an established brand associated with Gates, I'm talking about more concrete stuff that exists outside people's minds. Microsoft is a company, separate from the foundation, and is in no way obligated to donate money if its founder decides to do so. I don't understand how you fail to see this. Bill Gates is donating 95% of his wealth via his and Melinda's foundation eventually, now see that money that he makes from Microsoft is included in this, it requires no action from Microsoft, since money that comes from Microsoft's pocket to Bill's, goes to that 95%.

20. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Bill Gates does not own Microsoft, he only owns part of Microsoft. He is giving his part away in the form of charity.

Microsoft does not make that much profit though. Revenue is simply how much income they have, not how much they have left after costs. I would like to remind you that every Xbox Microsoft sells costs more to make than the sale price.