• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How will 8MB maps change wc3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
The map size just doubled in wc3.

Now, we won't see any GOOD Games using that 8MB limit anytime soon, but existing 4mb legends such as DoTA, how will doubling the map size effect them?

Damn. Can't wait to see what's in store.

Maybe now people can actually make 480x480 maps full of content!

Level 19
Well first off it could really encourage more players to Create Maps = More Players Will Join Hive Workshop = More Players In Warcraft III = Blizzard Gets More Money = Less Lag = DotA Players Might Come Here Too = We Win = Blizzard Becomes Popular = No Fail...

PS: And maybe IceFrog would add a command in their game or even a hidden Jukebox to play different Custom DotA created songs in their websites, sung by real players... Or add least add a Ventrilo Style Effect...

Level 7
I'm willing to be optimistic and hope that at least one person makes a map that tastefully uses imports and doesn't just spam 'em everywhere...

I am, however, ready to be disappointed. Greatly..

Level 8
Im too lazy to download any random 4mb map in bnet anyways, so I guess it doesnt eally affect me.

If Ive heard that maps good, then its another story.

2 sides, a possibility for amazing co-op campaigns and large content games, seeing as MOSTLY, 8MB games would be in private, would be pretty damn good. The other side is just that some new massive, good or bad, maps may spring up for which noone will have the patience to wait. And by the way, if you're taking 10 seconds to DL a 4MB map ON B.NET, the moon is coloured purple.

Level 7
Noob maps existed since the dawn of orc kind, the new limit is just going to make these maps bigger, not more popular or spam battle.net.

your favorite maps will have some chance of having "their own look, sound and feel" and nobody is going to suffer too much.

its not like you *have* to play the noob maps now that they are 8mb.

For some maps, this is really a good thing.
Others, not so much.
I personally like to keep maps small, and fast.
I have a 3.98MB map I'm working on (I'm not the original maker, but I have permission (in a way)). By the time I'm done with it, it's going to be 1.5-2.*MB map.
The only reason it's going to be that large, is I plan on using a "high-quality loading screen", which I might not even do.
I'm also going to convert all the triggers to JASS and opimize the code.

I'm going to do everything to ensure it's fun, small, and fast.

Level 12
Honestly I see only positive with 8 MB. It gives a lot more leeway to maps like *cough* DotA which have almost no large imports whatsoever. There are many cool things you could do with 4 more MB. Music in Zombie games sometimes makes all the differance depending on how creepy it is.

Some epic campaign somewhere can be made multiplayer now that there is more room!

Status
Not open for further replies.