• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Map size maximum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello guys, I got a question :)

I heard the mapsize limit to be able to host at battlenet.com is 8mb.

Now that is the mapsize, or the size of imported stuff I can do?
It appeared that 4mb imported stuff in my map makes only a mapsize of like 2.6mb ^^
Does it mean I can import more then 8mb to my map and it will still work?
(so just the mapsize all together is important?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 30
Don't know if I understood the question but in my knowledge, the maximum map size in Battle Net is not 8mb but 4mb. *mb max size is for the LAN. Once your map reaches 4mb and above, it cannot be hosted on the Battlenet anymore and if it reaches 8mb and above, it cannot be created anymore at the LAN, that'll leave you with only Single Player.

And the reason why map file sizes were being lowered is that, when downloading maps, for unknown reasons, their sizes decreases by an amount but what you have said from 4mb to 2.6 mb is quite impossible though, maybe only 4mb to 3.8 - 3.9mb.

I don't know though if there are certain additional features that raises the map size limits for the patch 1.26 but my answer would be that in the above.

Level 8
Yes, you can import as much as you want as long as the map file does not exceed 8mb. Imported files are compressed when a map is saved so it would have lesser filesize.

Things that would help in reducing your map's filesize:
-Map Optimizers (or map protectors) : Deletes unnecessary WE stuff.
-MDX Squisher : Allows models to compress better. Filesize reduction isn't really visible though.

Level 10
Yes textures are in most cases the biggest imports (unless you use wow models with many polys and animations). The best way to make them smaller is using BLP Lab (download it in the tool section of hive). Open the .blp and save it again (save as, to be sure to have a back up) and lower the quality in the pop-up save window. As information the quality % is not really proportional to the import size reduction. Example: a 600 kb UI part i reduced the quality to 75% had only ~150 kb afterwards. Also the bigger the texture you start with is (size wise, not resolution) the better results will come out (at least thats what i experienced). You will have to test around a bit what is the maximum compression before you see a real quality drop ingame.

Level 17
Pretty sure both Bnet and Lan have 8mb size limit since patch 1.24 given that all major maps are all just below 8mb. (or not ?)
Also pretty sure you can import much more than 8mb into your map, only the final size of the map file matters.
When compressed the map is usually around 60% of the size of the imported assets.

Level 12
Pretty sure both Bnet and Lan have 8mb size limit since patch 1.24 given that all major maps are all just below 8mb.
Also pretty sure you can import much more than 8mb into your map, only the final size of the map file matters.

Confirming that. It used to be 4mb but its 8mb now.

Level 14
Yea Hellmaster: its 8mb for Bnet and LAN since Patch 1.24.

It appeared that 4mb imported stuff in my map makes only a mapsize of like 2.6mb ^^
The map compresses your imported files, and depending on how these files look like the compression ratio might be higher or lower. So if you import a texture with 200kb, the filesize of the map will be increased by less than 200kb. Textures typically get a compression ratio of 50%-80%, so you might end up with extra 50-100kb.

In addition you can use tools like Vexorians Optimizer to further compress your map. This sometimes works really well, like you get a 10.5 mb map down to 7.9 mb (-> so you can play it on bnet/lan).

Level 6
It compressed 4.6mb to 2.6 mb (Editor itself: 1,8 mb less, optimizor 200 less kb)

Also thanks for your answers guys :D

Level 6
And Prorox, I thought that big size difference were made without optimizer but now you said that you used optimizer for it, that clears it up.

It got smaller without optimizor already ^^

Level 12
You could add so much as you want as it dont appear to be bigger than 8MB if it does i suggest you that you use a Optimizer. The optimizer can protect your map, making it so others can go into your map. And it can remove stuff that haven't been in use & it can lower some KB for you. for an example if your map is 8.21MB it could possibly lower it to 7.80MB, hope it was usefully.

Attachments

• 5.0wc3mapoptimizer.rar
    365.9 KB · Views: 37

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Does it mean I can import more then 8mb to my map and it will still work?
Welcome to the wonderful world of compression. MPQ archives (the underlying file of wc3 maps) support compression. All files you import and placed inside the map archive in a compressed form. The result is that they actually take less physical space in the map than the source files that are not compressed.

Compression works on the principle of data density. Although something may seem to contain a lot of data the actual data complexity can be considerably less if represented in an alternative form. For example a 100 MB file containing only new line characters ('\n') could be compressed to only a couple hundred bytes using something like found in zip archives. However a truly random sequence of binary data is incompressible as the data density is already maximum.

This means that some files will compress better than other files. Models and palleted blp files will compress pretty will. On the other hand jpeg blp files will hardly compress at all (as jpeg blocks are already compressed). Audio is unlikely to compress much (especially mp3 as that is already compressed) and contains a lot of unique data (unless you sound is some strange wave shape that is predictable).

All this means that the amount of stuff you can put into your map before the archive hits the 8 MB limit varies. You could put many hundred megabytes of data if it compresses well. On the other hand you might only get <8 MB of data if it cannot be compressed at all.

MPQ archives will not compress something if it makes it bigger, this is useful to know as truly random bit sequences would actually be larger when compressed due to the compression overhead.

Welcome to the wonderful world of compression. MPQ archives (the underlying file of wc3 maps) support compression. All files you import and placed inside the map archive in a compressed form. The result is that they actually take less physical space in the map than the source files that are not compressed.

Compression works on the principle of data density. Although something may seem to contain a lot of data the actual data complexity can be considerably less if represented in an alternative form. For example a 100 MB file containing only new line characters ('\n') could be compressed to only a couple hundred bytes using something like found in zip archives. However a truly random sequence of binary data is incompressible as the data density is already maximum.

This means that some files will compress better than other files. Models and palleted blp files will compress pretty will. On the other hand jpeg blp files will hardly compress at all (as jpeg blocks are already compressed). Audio is unlikely to compress much (especially mp3 as that is already compressed) and contains a lot of unique data (unless you sound is some strange wave shape that is predictable).

All this means that the amount of stuff you can put into your map before the archive hits the 8 MB limit varies. You could put many hundred megabytes of data if it compresses well. On the other hand you might only get <8 MB of data if it cannot be compressed at all.

MPQ archives will not compress something if it makes it bigger, this is useful to know as truly random bit sequences would actually be larger when compressed due to the compression overhead.

First of all. The average user don't give flying rat about how the optimizer work. They just notice that it does the job they want to have done.

Second of all. This thread is old, old, old, and the problem is already solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.