• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Has Maximum Map size (Boundarys) changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Is the maximum multiplayer map size still 256x256?
Or can we go above that now, also whats the maximum filesize for multiplayer, I hear its above 8mb now.

I have been extremely hesitant to mess with either because of old constraints, but if those are gone I could make grand plans.

Also if things have changed would using new constraints make the map incompatible with non-reforged classic wc3?

Edit: According to the map editor I can do 480x480, but is this playable for everyone on multiplayer?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Is the maximum multiplayer map size still 256x256?
It has always been, and probably always will be, 480x480. Older WorldEditor could not create a map this big and instead third party extensions or tools were required. Additionally some aspects of the game break with maps this big, such as blight.
Or can we go above that now, also whats the maximum filesize for multiplayer, I hear its above 8mb now.
I think it is around 256 MB odd.
Also if things have changed would using new constraints make the map incompatible with non-reforged classic wc3?
Modern Warcraft III has the same constraints for both Refoged and Classic graphics.

Legacy versions of Warcraft III cannot load current maps anyway. For compatibility with legacy versions you will need to use a legacy version of WorldEditor to make the map. Legacy versions will have the same constraints they have always had, which will be 8 MB or even just 4 MB sized maps for very old versions of Warcraft III when playing over LAN.

Level 13
It has always been, and probably always will be, 480x480. Older WorldEditor could not create a map this big and instead third party extensions or tools were required.
okay sorry for insisting like this but just to double check, by 1.29.0.9055 you really CAN now make 480x480 maps? It's not something like it no longer breaks when you use 3d party extensions, no, even WE itself can do it if you just use the patch?

That would make my life so much easier (as said in another thread, I was wondering to which patch I should update my 1.26)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
do you know the threshold for blight breaking? It it at 480x480 or before that?
In the past it was around the maximum standard map size (280x280? I forget). There was a reason Blizzard limited the dimensions of maps World Editor could make. Now I am not sure as I have not tested it and it is possible Reforged fixed some of these...

Status
Not open for further replies.