• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How long will Warcraft 3 last?

How long do you think Warcraft 3 will last?

• Forever and ever to the everlasting ever!

Votes: 97 40.9%
  • Maybe 5-15 more years

Votes: 73 30.8%
  • Only a few more years.

Votes: 52 21.9%
  • Until the day after tomorrow.

Votes: 15 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
There's been a fair few people that have said it was going to die out a year or so ago but I think it's still going well. To be honest I don't think it's the game that can be purely credited for holding all our interest, it's the communities like this one that bring people together, most enjoy interacting with others that share the same interest and working together etc. If there were no communities like this and you worked on Warcraft maps/skins/models etc by yourself, don't think you'd do it for near as long as you'd do it now, partly because you can share your resources with others, gain opinions, play maps that have been made together etc. This is how I feel about it anyway, it may be different for others, their use of communities like this one that is. This is also coming from someone who hasnt actually uploaded any resources (though one is on it's way after much, much, much, refining and work), just helped a bit in the trigger section, most of what I said is just observation... yeah and i'm ending this abruptly.

Level 19
That is true, and most communities eventually expand over a large amount of people, bringing the game popularity once again whenever some of those people get interested in it after hearing so much about it from the community. I'd call it more of an... Ever-lasting life cycle of Warcraft III.

Level 19
Still, Warcraft III is expanding even with a slow rate, people in my region are merely getting to know it and buy it.

Level 9
Now that I think of it, I suppose Warcraft III will last maybe even 1-2 years after Blizzard releases Warcraft IV. But at that point, most people are modding Warcraft IV happily, or playing WoW.

Level 8
Dude, if wc4 ever comes out, it will probably be too late. And yet, when (if) it comes out, there will be like, tons of ppl going back from sc2 to wc4.

Not necessarily, SC2 got a great campaign, but really, its mostly an awesome ESports game. They have really given the ESport aspect much thought, the balancing for example is extreme compared to what they ever did with WC3. I think the Warcraft universe got a vast story and a different angle compared to Starcraft.

They are both strategy games, but very different and attracts different people.
The spells and heroes in Warcraft 3 is probably what makes it unique and much more fun to do modding with than Starcraft 2.

Vunjo

Hosted Project: SC
Level 14
^ indeed, they are a lot different games, and thus attract different people, but imagine this situation:
Warcraft 3, which is made in 2003, now there's warcraft 4, which could be created in 2014. It's like, it would be so frikin cool, imagine all updates in 10 YEARS!

Level 19
But what we know for sure is that Warcraft III would definitely last for a very long time if the community continues to grow like how it does right now.

Vunjo

Level 14
well in my opinion not much people join hive workshop, or better to say, warcraft 3 isn't growing that much, cause people are either lazy to learn world editor, or they loose hope for mapmaking cause of dota

Level 19
I doubt mapmakers are that weak minded. They'll persevere to make even better maps somehow, and many more people are still joining The Hive Workshop (Before Ralle did a purge of users, there were almost 100,000 members with new ones daily, even after that, the number's still increasing and sooner or later it'll reach that number). Well, if one community, The Hive Workshop, is already growing rapidly, the same will happen to the rest too, in my opinion:)

Vunjo

Level 14
well, it's either if we are pessimistic or optimistic. If there was no dota, pessimists would say that there would be almost no wc3 at all. But it's not so wrong after all, there are still some people who think that dota is a game XD
On the other hand, optimists would say that dota players would finally learn mapmaking, or at least, play other good maps :D

Level 19
I'd still be modding without DotA, DotA's just an example of a successful mod that got popular, other games, if made well enough, can do that too:)

Level 19
From what I heard DotA 2 would have to compete against an extremely popular Warcraft III map, DotA which is:

- Completely free (Whether you bought the disc or not), has a lot of new updates.
- Allows you to play other games (From the various amounts of other maps that Warcraft III modders make) if you're bored.
- Has a lot of constantly updated Hosting Bots (That provides many different functions depending on the bot creator).
- Has graphics that can fit most computers (Unlike DotA 2).
- Is original.
- Is made in a Blizzard program (Blizzard is just awesome), which allows you to also check out other great games they have like Starcraft II and WoW (Not to mention Warcraft III itself is already nice).
- A lot of the people I've asked who have played DotA do not intend to shift to DotA 2, or intend to play both, not just DotA 2.
- Has a great player userbase and huge, awesome communities (Like this one).
- Too much more advantages to actually name it all here without crashing the computer.

So, I doubt DotA 2 will be the end of Warcraft III, for all I know, it could even help bring players to Warcraft III to check out what the original DotA is like.

Warcraft III will kinda live for a longer time than most of us expect:)

Level 20
From what I heard DotA 2 would have to compete against an extremely popular Warcraft III map, DotA which is:

*stuff*

Yeah so you think that if Dota was made into a stand alone game it wont have any advantages then?

It can have something like:
- Matchmaking system
- Weekly tournaments
- Personal stat tracking
- Teams and team profiles
- Team challenge system
- More customization
- Better graphics
- Better replay function
- Join/Observe games that are already in progress
- Roshan replaced with Gaben
- HATS

And yeah almost forgot that when it is a stand alone game it wont be affected by any restrictions that Warcraft 3 itself has. So I am kinda trying to say that it got endless possiblities compared to the current Dota.

Level 19
Although both have their advantages and disadvantages, I still believe that most players would play both rather than just get sucked into one of them, so Warcraft III still has a population.

- Matchmaking system
- Weekly tournaments
- Personal stat tracking
- Teams and team profiles
- Team challenge system
- More customization
- Better graphics
- Better replay function
- Join/Observe games that are already in progress
- Roshan replaced with Gaben
- HATS

Those bolded stuff here are actually into DotA today, just that some of them are in different servers or in bots/community ladders, I've personally seen most of them.

Anyways, back on topic.

Level 19
I agree with Adiktuz, even with some players moving here and there, they can't possibly reduce the player count in Warcraft III that drastically. Also, I've known almost 90% of people who quit and after a while you'll see them back online in Battle.Net again, it's just way too hard to leave it :O

Level 19
Yup, and after my exams I'm going to work out some other new program for Warcraft III for fun too:)

Hint: It's kind of like a system that calculates any sort of damage and estimates a unit's time to live for any Warcraft III game.

Level 14
I voted for 'maybe 5-15 years' because, first of all Wc3 runs on most PCs these days where as starcraft does not. I have an core 2 duo at 2,4GHz, 2GB, 512 Video which I bought like 4 years ago and I can't do any 4v4 in sc2.

Thus any big multiplayer map like "Azeroth Wars" or "Footman Frenzy" I would rather play in wc3.

Than there is DotA... and no matter what appears like LOL, HoN or even blizzard DotA... the current DotA will still be played for years to come (especially since u cant play sc2 through Garena, and ppl dont buy HoN and would rather play wc3 DotA as such).

However after 5-15 years, the pieces of hardware required to play sc2 smoothly will be way cheaper.

Level 19
True. But I guess, by then Blizzard would've found some way to help their games improve and still support Warcraft III (Or even Warcraft IV, with the option of transferring Warcraft III based maps over or playing Warcraft III games through Warcraft IV), so it'll be quite popular for as long, if not longer, than most of us think.

Level 14
Starcraft 1 is still popular, but that's mostly because of the korean pro-scene. And while SC:BW pro-scene is still alive... the wc3 one is kinda dead. So I feel like there is only wc3 custom maps and the fact that u can play it via garena that makes it popular even today.

I don't believe in Warcraft IV. I'm an atheist.

Level 15
If you guys still like Warcraft III, keep it alive. If you don`t throw it in trash can.
I don`t want to troll here but why we joined this forum? Because of Warcraft III.
Just think, is it worth of abandoning? Why for example Doom 2 is still alive, modding keeps games alive. But returning to game is always nice.

Level 19
It's modding will still live for a very long time though, since most players seem to be used to it. We could gladly say that Blizzard would attract more players than they ever did before through old and new games, so don't worry:)

Level 6
Warcraft III won't die that easily, I mean this game was made in July 2002, and now look at us, do you still think franchise would end like that? I say no it won't stop, as long as everybody likes warcraft very much, the game won't end.

*cough* the graphics engine was developed from early 1998 to mid 2000 (the last change was the less dynamic terrain)...

Level 19
Still, most computers can run it rather smoothly, unlike some other games that have extreme eye-candy yet there's lag all over. There are maps in Warcraft III that I've seen with eye-candy/typical huge single player maps which are quite nice and run smoothly too, it depends on your choice.

Guys grow up. Warcraft's dead. Or if not dead, almost dead and unable to ever get back up again.

The Wc3 player base is growing again after the initial "6-feet fall" it experienced after the release of Starcraft 2. Fact is that most of the world has less computer standardts than the western, and therefore can not play games as starcraft while warcraft's first starting to get popular. Along with that, games like Dota will probably remain popular for years to come, keeping warcraft somewhat alive.

As longs a lousy computers with poor graphic cards exists, so will warcraft 3.

Level 19
Warcraft III will almost not die, considering it's current huge player base and maps, along with communities (Not to mention a daily player increment), so yeah, Warcraft III would probably be one of Blizzard's best creations, and they'll make better ones to come.

Vunjo

Level 14
Guys grow up. Warcraft's dead. Or if not dead, almost dead and unable to ever get back up again.

After some time of thinking and searching, I must agree with this. Who the hell still plays melee maps, or other good maps?? Almost nobody. While 80% people play that !"#$ DotA, others play even worse shit, naruto or other chinese maps...

EDIT: So basically, it turns out that about 5% people play melee maps, which is the real warcraft. Try to find a guy, who sees an abomination, and does not say that it's pudge from dota. Will give you 5K Dollarz.

Status
Not open for further replies.