• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How well do you guys think WC3R will read Warcraft 3 maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Like most people, I'm sure -- but the announcement of Warcraft 3 reforged has really reinvigorated my desire to map (it's just a shame about all the desync in custom games lately)... But I'm torn between starting the project and just waiting; since I know it'd be easier to start from scratch if the WC3R doesn't read actual Warcraft 3 maps too well.

On the other hand, I also think having the systems and triggers in place would speed up production, too. So I'm stuck in an awkward position of if I want to wait or start mapping early.

But that's not exactly what I wanted to talk about; it's just relevant, I suppose. How much do you think will be changed with Warcraft 3 Reforged? Do you think it'll have a new system of tiles? Different cliff tiles? We seen in Stratholme some stone walls that looked unlike anything currently in game now. Will there be any differences between GUI/JASS? How will imported assets work? (nothing so much as models; as those would clash anyway, but stuff like Icons...?)

Level 5
And then I suppose, one has to consider that custom models won't be updated automatically :)

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] So I'm stuck in an awkward position of if I want to wait or start mapping early.

But that's not exactly what I wanted to talk about; it's just relevant, I suppose. How much do you think will be changed with Warcraft 3 Reforged? Do you think it'll have a new system of tiles? Different cliff tiles? We seen in Stratholme some stone walls that looked unlike anything currently in game now. Will there be any differences between GUI/JASS? How will imported assets work? (nothing so much as models; as those would clash anyway, but stuff like Icons...?)
@Shaeam: Sign up for the WC3:R beta access and find out?

Warcraft III: Reforged Beta Access

Level 12
I was under the impression that there should be 0 difference between the two other than graphical updates (and background edits)
More specifically, all maps that do not use very specific and niche tricks/bugs for functionality should be fine.
Which is probably 99% success rate in the end
I hope what you say is true because remaking the maps would be quite the effort if many of them don't function. I read somewhere that you will even be able to switch in a menu between old and new graphics for the game like you switch it from high to low or something. The fact that warcraft 3 is no longer being sold and only reforged is does suggest that it is in fact the very same game... though it is being sold for full price so many years later (I bet activision is behind this).

Last edited:
Level 2
I'm not a creator, neither have i done any mods, however i do love the work people of this community have done for Wc3.

Pretty hard to judge, as Blizzard sometimes make major changes in their map editor. In both good and bad ways, we see big changes happen in games that arn't being updated.
such as legion Td hell, Custom hero survival etc..
Now when Reforged do come out, i hope Blizzard will think about the community, and won't just bombard it with barriers to "improve" their game, and make the flow between custom creators and The game run dry.

Level 2
@LetsTalkAbout1t Honestly, we didn't really need all that weird, possibly non-compatible code in the first place, did we?

It was a game that stod on it's own feet for a good while without any support from the "big boss..." however like everything that has gone under their nails they change.
I'm both happy and sad about these changes, however i hope the community will hold on together, and we grow.

Warcraft needs more players..

I was in the unique position that I became aware, if you look really carefully at the footage of Grubby playing the Reforged demo there is a scene where there is a graphical bug that is due to a Trigger-based resource that was made for the non-Reforged game.

Basically I have proof in my head that the Reforged demo map with Arthas in Stratholme was made using the same Trigger Editor that we have. Mark my words, the zombies remained yellow when clicked. I've looked at the footage many times.

If you google the top search result video of Grubby playing Warcraft 3 Reforged, and look at time 19:36.
The trigger being used is this one:
unknown.png

You see two villagers who become zombies, but they turn yellow. This trigger is why they turn yellow. You can time Grubby clicking and see the rate the villagers flash yellow on/off.

I'm not sure I can say more than that, I often go around saying too much.

But it absolutely shows that they are telling the truth that Reforged is the same codebase and uses the same World Editor, with some upgrades.

You're asking a very vague question. What exactly do you mean?

Some people are trying to get people to continue playing Patch 1.26 because you can load viruses in Patch 1.26, and this means that they can have a virus run on top of their map that can hack the game and add new features that aren't in the game. So, then those features are missing from newer patches like 1.30 that have better security and have no viruses.

So there are people who don't want you to play Patch 1.30 because they cannot put viruses in maps on 1.30. To them, it's not the same old game, since their power is gone from them.

But the upgraded code with improved security that was used to match Patch 1.30 is also being used to make Reforged, so it will play the same map files, including map files from 2002, as long as the maps did not violate the security model.

Status
Not open for further replies.