• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What do you guys think makes a good map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Im starting a survey/vote. What do you guys think makes a good map. If you thing it depends on the type of map (RPG, Arena, eg), state the type and what you think makes it good, or how it can improve. ie:
:spell_breaker:-RPG-:spell_breaker:
I believe that a good rpg should have a save/load feature, lots of customisation (ie: choose your character by selecting your skill/class (warrior, archer, eg), then choosing its weopons, or by item selecting. (ie: Model: Warrior (footman) > Skill: Barbarian (large axe), or, Model: Archer (Archer) > Longrange (longbow).))
Now I want you to tell me what you think. Reply to this link.:thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 7
I've always just liked the simple games, so I just want a lot of perfectly balanced game play that is extremely competitive, so that people will play it again. It also needs teamwork. Some examples are Footmen Frenzy (Sort of), and Enfos.

Those games are my opinion don't start getting mad. Also, you may want to move this to the Idea Factory.

Level 7
Bugless and balanced. The two big B's ;)
a unique idea and some features that are pure fun. Not too hard but not too easy. That fits at every category :p

Level 4
no matter which way you slice and dice it, the map has to be fun. If it does not initially engage the player with an element of fun it is toast

Level 8
These are all good ideas. I will keep this thread going incase people need ideas on how to make their maps better, so that more people will play it, and play it again. I will try to incorporate some of these ideas in my map/s.

Level 12
-Easy to learn
-Difficult to master
-Great Multiplayer (I don't like single player games at all)
-Encourage players to be aggressive
-Active play with few pauses in action
-Cool spells/abilities that can be used in many different ways
-Meathook =D I swear this is the best ability ever thought up!

Level 5
For RPG, i really dislike ones without realism, where u can equip as many weapons as u can hold, which is not really based on an RPG... I prefer having save/load system so u can work at your char. From there, i like custom models but as long as the model fits the class, i wouldn't mind too much, b/c i would not want a high end char to look too crappy. And last, high end content, things to challenge you for a while.

For AoS and others, i am really into the spells, look at effects. Here its all about creativity.

Level 7
Well for me its about the theme, the map needs to be well thought out and keep to its style/theme without deviation, also needs to be easy for the player to grasp the basics and NOT last like hours. One thing that puts me off costum map gaming is the amount of time your expected to spend on just one game and by the end of it most people have already left. :X

Level 6
Makes me remember of times when i couldn't host. Four years or something back. Five. Damn. This game is one of the best examples of longlivety :). I allways waited for someone to host LOAP. It had everything I wanted in a good map. Especially that I-want-to-play-this-****ing-map-24/7.

But what does a good map need IMO ?

-Originality
-Balanced (not for all offcourse)
-Interesting Gameplay, offering something new
-New Ideas, never seen before
-Lots of work in it
-And one thing that any artist needs in his creation : Heart !

Level 14
Yes, all of these things make me mad. However, I think the most lacking aspect is the bossfights. Like, in every RPG, I see that when you get to level 80 or somthing high, you start fighting Ancient demon or ancient elemental or such "bosses" that have the same thing in common. They just attack very fast and have uber damage. Why cant they just make a bossfight with stages and such in there maps? Then, it would be good. ^_^

~Asomath

Level 8
Dreadnought[dA];753258 said:
-Easy to learn
-Difficult to master
-Great Multiplayer (I don't like single player games at all)
-Encourage players to be aggressive
-Active play with few pauses in action
-Cool spells/abilities that can be used in many different ways
-Meathook =D I swear this is the best ability ever thought up!

Definately meathook. I'm trying to learn the triggers/custom ability details so I can add it into my map. If I can get it in, I will pm u so u can try it out. So far I already have a few custom units/custom abilities that have some ok looking effects, like a demon that has the ability to spit out several balls of fire in a target area. At the moment I'm working on a chain lightning effect with the resurrection art animation, for an angel hero. Anyway, hope some of these posts help other mappers out there.:witch_doc_sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.