• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How Long Will Starcraft 2 Take?

How Long Will Starcraft II Take To Be Released?

• 6 months or less

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • About a year

Votes: 39 36.4%
  • A year and a half

Votes: 18 16.8%
  • About 2 years

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • More than 2 years

Votes: 15 14.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Considering what they have 6 months or less they seem to have a bunch of terrain.They have the game engine.Plenty of units there just being lazy and not showing them all.If you look at screenshots you cna see more units,plus trailers.

Level 7
Nah todays fine you just gotta put in the fact that htye have the game engine many units the envirement(terrain which i think is awesome).And many more new that has already been made.

As for the zerg and terran sections i think they will be added tommorrow or soon because ive seen plenty terran uints in screenshots and Zerg ive seen a few of that as well.

I tryed talking about it in battle.net at Starcraft Brood War nobody seems to want to talk about it.

Level 7
What why say that its gonna rock.I mean your avatar is a marine for gods sake!

Personally i can't wait to start modding it.(course i gotta finish campaign).

Level 13
Hopefully more than 2 years, Starcraft II has a HUGE legacy to live up to, and succeed, 2 years might be enough to do that. If they released it in 6 months, the balance would be out of wack, there would be alot of bugs, and alot of people will be pissed at Blizzard, because that's what Starcraft is known for: The Balance.

Level 7
Uh they can balance it out by 6 months you act like it takes forever to change some stats on some units.Change attack speed hit points........ect.ect and your good they have msot of the stuff beyond two years is too much.Oh and kaitech if you hate Starcraft don't post anymore or even vote god this is for people who want to see it made.

Level 7
For 4 years i think they can balance it out soon so maybe more then 6 months but i still think they can work it out.Right now they seem to have a lot im just considering the stuff we currently know by tommorrow we will know more.Oh you just posted have to edit.

I agree the campaign will be hard but they seem to have heroes down a little so Im sticking to my 6 month theory.Oh and may i suggest some of you go to starcraft2.com to see some of it before posting so you cna make a more accurate guess.

Level 21
well i think they might have it balanced already, does anyone know how the industry works? because my guess is they get the engine down first, then the units, objects and some test terrain, then the balancing of these units, then the multiplayer engine at the same time as the campaign. i would guess the units and balancing would be one of the first things, i mean they would make a campaign with a load of random units, that would be totally pointless.....

Level 7
Yes the engine is one of the most important things then the terrain and so on and so forth.Has any of you checked the terrain it looks absolutly beatiful compared to Warcraft 3.Plus it seems they have a lot of it done so it can't take too long.

Level 26
Kaitech[SanD];263754 said:
I know my avatar is a marine, but I forgot to change the teamcolour to Grey as in the God from Angel Arena, I hate stracraft personally.

uhh...why? i love starcraft. i even find brood war better than wc3 at times, because the people in starcraft don't have models or shit like that, so they use their imagination =P. also, i'm a futuristic fan.

Level 13
I know, the game itself looks breathtaking, I will look very forward to it.

However, I am concerned about the editor. The original starcraft editing engine was horrific because that's the best that was available in 1998. And Blizzard has acknowledged the modding community, WC3 is proof of that.

So hopefully they'll have one that's just as good, if not better, than World Editor.

Level 7
Thanks for considering the facts have you checked the website its awesome isn't it?I played starcraft when it first came out so seeing starcraft 2 coming out finally really gives me some happiness under all my stress and other numerous things.Im glad you apologized thanks.Once again posted faster than me yes the editor will be better.Look at starcrafts editor and try to make a simple teleporting trigger.Then do the same with Warcraft3.See the difference.

So starcraft 2 trigger ediot will be so simple and advance Jass will barely need to be used(hopefully if Blizzard actually is telling the truth on hte site :D).

Level 26
i believe they will make starcraft ghost before starcraft 2. so we'll all be celebrating the release of starcraft 2 at the age of 53. but when i looked at the site, my spirits were lifted a little.

Level 26
i really was looking foward to starcraft ghost when they announced it, though. then i was dissapointed when WoW costed 15 dollars a month. hope they don't burn me again.

The panel answered questions on numerous topics, including Starcraft II's development history, which Pardo expained "started shortly after Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne" back in 2003. According to Pardo, the game is "very far along," and that the game is already playable in multiplayer with all three factions. When asked about the release date, Pardo gave the answer you may have come to expect from Blizzard: "The game will be released when it's ready."

I got that from here: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6171172.html

Level 7
This game will pwn why there just now showing us stuff has pissed me off yet it give me excitement because there jsut now showing us and since its been worked on for awhile we will soon be able to play it.

Level 3
They already have a gameplay vid, pretty much all the units and terrain is finished, all they have to do now its get it ready for presentation, fix errors, finish off the modding side of the game and done. So very soon i think.

Well said, all they probably need to do are a few balancing fixes along with editor triggering and the Campaign I guess,... I think I'm going about 6 months , ~start of 2008

Level 7
Agreed I still have Starcraft played it man i still love it even for its bad(its bad now) graphics.Great storyline if you ask me.Just can't wait for them to update the site!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
So far there is NO proff what so ever of the game engine opperating. All we have is graphics which could all be faked (made) to look like they are more ready than they actually are since whole movies are done that way now days games can be easily. When we start to have more fotage of economies and abilites in action then we will be able to estimate aproxmitly when it will be ready. I say they have the movement system running and graphics but nothing much more so expect it 2008-2009 unless they really reveal major things like an economy in work or triggers functioning.

Level 7
Do you have to ruin the fun for everybody why can't you just accept that maybe it will be done soon i mean your a bubble burster man.

Level 21
Do you have to ruin the fun for everybody why can't you just accept that maybe it will be done soon i mean your a bubble burster man.

yeh ur right, i mean they could fake the vid but wouldnt it be more hard work to fake all that rubbish then actually program it :p anyways they've been working on it for 4 years! hopefully they have got something done by now.

Level 12
They already have a gameplay vid, pretty much all the units and terrain is finished, all they have to do now its get it ready for presentation, fix errors, finish off the modding side of the game and done. So very soon i think.
I'm skeptic. If you look at the first pictures from SC you see that it was vastly different from how it looks today. It was truly wc2 in space.

Level 3
the reason why they released a bunch of screenshots and a trailer is because it is close to finish, thats how game producers do it alot of times + as you could notice, many units were showed in the trailer too.

Level 21
i think whats confusing alot of people, myself included, is why they have left it so long to admit its development. if infact it is in the latter stages why have they only told us now? i mean usually we are given previews, developers insights and all sorts of little bits of info before a trailer is released. for SC2 they have said they making it, released a game play trailer and according to some sources have set a release date in coming months?!?! either they're playing mind games or they bloody fast coders.

Status
Not open for further replies.