• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Good news(concerning trilogy): Starcraft 2 confirmed to have TWO EXPANSION PACKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Instead of editing the first topic(I can't edit the topic title), I want to simply just make a new one. Mods can you just lock the other one I made?

The reason why I'm making a new topic is because this is "big news" concerning the SC2 trilogy. Also because some people may read the topic I made, then never read it again(without knowing that I edited the topic) without knowing about the new big news.

Click for the interview, the big news is at the near end of the interview

Near the end, Dustin Browder says that the two other games ARE INDEED expansion packs.

He says they will add new features such as new units, new features to battle.net/multiplayer, new features to the Starcraft 2 editor, etc.

He also compared it to Warcraft 3 and Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne. He says (Paraphrasing)"Noticed how World Editor is a lot more powerful in Frozen Throne?", he says that in comparison to what each Starcraft 2 expansion pack will add.

And we all know that Frozen Throne added a lot of features to the editor.

Anyway, this is good news, we know that they ARE expansion packs and not just "splitting 1 game into 3".

For the price, I'm probably going to assume the expansion packs are cheaper than the core games since they're expansion packs.

Edit 1 -
Some new news. All the article basically says is that the expansions will have a year gap. They said it "could" take longer than a year but that also means that you'll know the expansion packs will pack tons of new features.

Like Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne(which is 1 year gap), the expansions will have about a 1 year release gap between each other.

Edit 2 - To those of you who are wondering why they don't just pack it all in one game:

I don't get it. Why don't they develop the entire thing into one package?

See below

Dreadnought[dA];876744 said:
2ndly we get SC2 SOONER! 3rd by releasing one game, then people can playtest and get it perfectly balanced, then they release new game with balance changes.

You got that right. If they didn't make expansion packs and just simply packed it all at once, we'd probably have to wait until 2011 until we'd get starcraft 2.

Click for the link

"I don't know how long it's going to take...it could be [a year or more between each one]," producer Sigaty revealed to MTV Multplayer

He said "a year or more between each one" that means that means that the expansion packs will add A LOT of stuff.

What's better:
1. Getting SC2 as early as 2009 but having to buy expansion packs in 2010 and 2011.

OR

2. Saving $60(assuming expansion is $30 each) but having to wait all the way until 2011 until you get Starcraft 2.

Last edited:
Level 13
Ok, glad to hear this. I'm glad that I will actually gain something from buying the other games other than a new campaign.

Level 17
This isn't good news, are you people blind?
They just turned into money hounds after WoW (darn WoW).
Instaid of making a game with expansion packs why not make a full working game?!?!!?

Like the new units basicly mean that they are units that are not yet added... This is so below the belt of blizzard.
*Kicks starcraft 2 of my want to buy list.*

This is one big load of *cencored*. They better not screw up Diablo 3, I'd wish they never made WoW...
We can actualy devide Blizzard in: Before and After WoW, Before = Good, After = Money Hounds.

Meh, this is just so sad... =:(

So does patches.
And they doesn't cost ;) .

Patches can do only very little changes. It can't add new units, tilesets, campaigns and bigger editor improvements. And when they are applied, there is no way back. Sometimes you just want to play a game the old way.

Also if you see warcraft, if you play RoC or TFT, is quite a different experience.

Level 12
Tons of games have 2 expansions... Why is this game so different? Also I can think of a thousand reasons for making 2 expansion packs. 1stly, it gives them more time to work on the other campaigns and make them better. 2ndly we get SC2 SOONER! 3rd by releasing one game, then people can playtest and get it perfectly balanced, then they release new game with balance changes. Finally, I think they mentioned something about a graphics update or some such so they are probably going to update the graphics with the expansions or some such.

Level 17
Patches can do only very little changes. It can't add new units, tilesets, campaigns and bigger editor improvements. And when they are applied, there is no way back. Sometimes you just want to play a game the old way.

Also if you see warcraft, if you play RoC or TFT, is quite a different experience.
WC3 had patches that added units and a campaign.

Level 25
Instaid of making a game with expansion packs why not make a full working game?!?!!?

They're going to make a full working game you overdramatic drama queen

Jeez, did you not notice that ever since WC2 Blizzard has been making expansions? Oh no, you leap right to blaming WoW! Because obviously ToD, TFT, BW and LoD don't exist! And we had lurkers and valkyries ever since the start of Starcraft! Oh, of course you're correct, we also had a fully functional WC3 World Editor with the ability to import custom models easily ever since RoC days!

If you don't get it, I'm being sarcastic. Did you completely forget about TFT existing or something? Jeez. Why not actually look at Blizzard's history? OF COURSE they're going to release expansions, its just that this time the expansions will contain single-race campaigns fleshed out to their fullest with all sorts of new stuff rather than just 3 race-only campaigns with various stuff

Quit claiming its the end of the world. I've seen Transformers fans calling the end of the franchise with more founding in reality than your opinions

Level 25

Orc Campaign.
Buff Editor
Warcraft III - Neutral -> Neutral Heroes -> Goblin Tinker
Warcraft III - Neutral -> Neutral Heroes -> Firelord
Warcraft III - Neutral -> Neutral Heroes -> Goblin Alchemist

If you want it the old way, remove TFT.

Level 6
I don't get it. Why don't they develop the entire thing into one package?

See below

Dreadnought[dA];876744 said:
2ndly we get SC2 SOONER! 3rd by releasing one game, then people can playtest and get it perfectly balanced, then they release new game with balance changes.

You got that right. If they didn't make expansion packs and just simply packed it all at once, we'd probably have to wait until 2011 until we'd get starcraft 2.

Click for the link

"I don't know how long it's going to take...it could be [a year or more between each one]," producer Sigaty revealed to MTV Multplayer

He said "a year or more between each one" that means that means that the expansion packs will add A LOT of stuff.

What's better:
1. Getting SC2 as early as 2009 but having to buy expansion packs in 2010 and 2011.

OR

2. Saving $60(assuming expansion is $30 each) but having to wait all the way until 2011 until you get Starcraft 2.

Orc Campaign.
Buff Editor
Warcraft III - Neutral -> Neutral Heroes -> Goblin Tinker
Warcraft III - Neutral -> Neutral Heroes -> Firelord
Warcraft III - Neutral -> Neutral Heroes -> Goblin Alchemist

If you want it the old way, remove TFT.
The Orc Campaign was unfinished when it came out in Frozen Throne(At least when I remembered it), they just finished it through patches.

Yes they also added "just" 3 heroes through patches.

But what Blizzard DID NOT do was give out The Frozen Throne for free through a patch. That's what they didn't do.

Blizzard could also have given out all their games for free, in fact, their company could be non-profit and all their employees just do volunteer work.

But they don't, because they do it for profit, to make money.

YES, it's true, Blizzard wants to make this thing called money.

Point is Blizzard isn't a charity guys. Also, I wouldn't really call Blizzard greedy or annoying(EA Games with their Securom and 3 limit install) either.

Blizzard is just a company that makes video games, good video games that is.

Although Blizzard isn't a charity, it sometimes feels like it. Compared to other RTS game companies, Blizzard has offered a lot with Starcraft and Warcraft 3, I'll list what I think is their "charity":

1. Battle.net

2. Starcraft Editor and Warcraft 3 editor, definitely. A lot of companies don't ship their games with powerful and easy to use editors like Blizzard's editors.

3. Patches/updates. Now, a lot of companies do patches but what company releases patches for their nearly 10 year old stuff(Starcraft 1 for example)?

Anyway, Blizzard hasn't really disappointed me yet, I don't expect them to disappoint me in the future.

I'm sure that the expansion packs will be totally worth their money. All Blizzard games so far have been worth their money(WoW is debatable but besides WoW, worth their money).

Anyway, we'll have to see. I say we should wait and see how much new content they have in their new expansion pack before we complain or be surprised.

Again, Blizzard hasn't disappointed me so far, I'm going to assume they (again) won't disappoint me when Starcraft 2 and expansions come out.

Level 17
Hehe.

1) I'd rather wait some years and then get a full working game without any need of extra lame expansions.
It's better then getting a lame game that has alot of flaws asap.

2) This is stupid you realize that, right? The purpose of an expansion is: adding extra features to an already 100% complete game because it was succesfull and there is a high demand.
Blizzard is just splitting the game in 3 parts and releasing it at different parts, they are brainwashing you in telling they will improve the game but they wont, they just do it so they can demand more money.

3) I understand Blizzard wants to see money, but to be honest... they have turned into greedy wolfs, and the fact there is a high amount of retards out there that will actualy believe their stories and buy it... just makes it betetr for them.
Splitting a game in 3 parts = lame.
Making people pay for bnet (yes they will add this, you can also play for free but it's liek rapidshare and your speed will just suck handsome) = very lame.

To be honest these games aint that good! It's almost the same as SC1 only with soem more units and eye candy, unlike wc2 --> wc3 where u got extra races and options, SC2 will just plainly suck.
Same goes for Diablo 3, they are screwing everything up, and this we have to thank to a bunch of nerds that buy games even if they suck, even if they are being 'abused'.

Blizzard has gone down the drain, also because of activision alot.

One good thing now, I'll have more time for girls. They need attention to.

Level 21
Guys, get yourself informed before you post.

1) I'd rather wait some years and then get a full working game without any need of extra lame expansions.

Uh...
We're not talking about flaws here. They made SC2 a trilogy because of the campaigns. They're not gonna release a buggy game. Blizzard games don't have bugs. I also don't see where the f you get the "extra lame expansions" argument from. SC2 will have 2 expansions, that's one more than TFT. Does it mean they'll be lame? I mean, are you saying TFT was lame?

2) This is stupid you realize that, right? The purpose of an expansion is: adding extra features to an already 100% complete game because it was succesfull and there is a high demand.
The game will be 100% complete. You'll have a strong editor, 3 playable races on battle.net and 1 campaign featuring 30 missions and never seen campaign mechanics. The campaign, all in all, will probably be larger and more immersive than the 3 campaigns of SC1.
The expansions will, like any other normal expansion, add units, new graphical content, bug fixes and 1 campaign.

3) I understand Blizzard wants to see money, but to be honest... they have turned into greedy wolfs, and the fact there is a high amount of retards out there that will actualy believe their stories and buy it... just makes it betetr for them.
I don't get it. The only reason people say Blizzard has "turned" into greedy wolfs is that they've made WoW which brings in a lot of money. Well, so what? They made a great game that brings in a lot of money. Now that they decide they'll make 2 expansions instead of one for SC2, they're being greedy? And IMO they're not at all being greedy. They make quality games, they always have, and it now pays off with WoW, so why is everyone being angry at blizzard? And let's not forget that they are officially working on 3 games now, with perhaps a 4th unofficial game too. They wouldn't have those resources without WoW, and if they were really greedy wolfs, they wouldn't spend those resources on a strategy game which will not bring in as much money as WoW 2 would have.

Making people pay for bnet (yes they will add this, you can also play for free but it's liek rapidshare and your speed will just suck handsome) = very lame.
I see you support your arguments with solid sources again.

/sarcasm

I have no idea where you got that idea from. I mean, they're EXPANDING on Battle.net. Right now it already has a really good speed and service, all for free. I mean, I don't even have lag on the other servers on a different continent.
Even if all the "additional" features of Battle.net 2 wouldn't be free (which I highly doubt), you'd still have all features of Battle.net which still is quite an awesome addition to their games. I don't think you can name 1 other company that has a service similar to Battle.net.

To be honest these games aint that good! It's almost the same as SC1 only with soem more units and eye candy, unlike wc2 --> wc3 where u got extra races and options, SC2 will just plainly suck.
Nice argumentation again.

Same goes for Diablo 3, they are screwing everything up, and this we have to thank to a bunch of nerds that buy games even if they suck, even if they are being 'abused'.
Gosh, you should get into politics.

Oh, and to those people that don't get why SC2 is going to be a trilogy: they have TOO MUCH content to add to their campaigns for it to be released in one game. Rather than being disappointed, be happy that you're gonna get much more than you would in your average RTS.

Level 9
Until Blizzard actually releases a -fail- game, I won't stop buying their games. Neither will a lot of you, no matter what you may pretend to believe.

If you don't support Blizzard or their games and/or actions, don't buy any of their games. Boycott their products. That's the real action that'll show them that their actions are not approved: a punch in the wallet. If their actions are so disapprovable, no one will buy their games and they won't generate profit.

Level 25

And that's what you'll be waiting for. Except that the inevitable expansions have been announced around now, as opposed to

This is stupid you realize that, right? The purpose of an expansion is: adding extra features to an already 100% complete game because it was succesfull and there is a high demand.

Yeah. Except that Blizzard are also going to include racial campaigns in them

Blizzard is just splitting the game in 3 parts and releasing it at different parts, they are brainwashing you in telling they will improve the game but they wont, they just do it so they can demand more money.

This is Blizzard we're talking about you troll. You're not even using REALITY in your statements. They're going to have all 3 races playable from the beginning, they're just including only one campaign with the vanilla game, and making the other two racial campaigns in the other two expansions

THEY'RE. NOT. SPLITTING. IT. INTO. 3. PARTS. YOU. ILLITERATE. IMBECILE

They're including the campaigns in each expansion. HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND? This means BETTER CAMPAIGNS, because now they, GASP SHOCK AND HORROR, can devote ALL OF THE TIME THEY WERE GOING TO USE ON ALL THREE, to making a single campaign, rather than having to make 3 campaigns

Seriously, how hard is that to understand?

You're posting an unfounded rumour. Y'know, speaking of unfounded rumours like this, I'm still curious where my Pandaren, Worgen, Goblin and Wisp races are

They said they're going to include payment options and stuff. They haven't specified what. Considering that Battle.Net is hosted on other servers, they can't exactly fuck up your own speed between things. What they might do is provide their own servers for the price to allow people who regularly have massive lag connecting to each other to connect to, in an attempt to combat it or something

Blizzard are smart enough to know that if SC2 sucks, they will be lynched. And sure, WC2 to WC3 was a big leap. But SC was in the middle of that leap

Just because they're not adding a new race, which is a GOOD DECISION I MIGHT ADD because of that good ol' favourite of mine, LORE

Oh wait, you were one of those babies whining that things in Diablo 3 weren't shrouded in complete darkness and using high tech light rendering, were you?

Show me why Diablo 3 is being screwed up. Go on

Blizzard has gone down the drain, also because of activision alot.

They haven't even RELEASED anything since they merged with Activision!

One good thing now, I'll have more time for girls. They need attention to.

You considered your video game time to be equal to that of the time you spent with friends?... Jeez, you are a bloody nerd

Level 25
o_O I hear about limit install the first time. Does this affect any computer or is limit applied only on a singe com? Which games have it?

Anything with Securom. The most famous at the moment is Spore

Ironically, after Spore was released, it became the most pirated game on the Internet, just to show how "effective" Securom was. And it became such due to the amount of hatred and spite the gaming community feels towards EA and their use of Securom, which is no better than spyware

i won't say blizzard is greedy compared to their game quality.
I mean i've bought Wc3 and TFT for something like 50$
And you'll probably bought Sc 2 for something like 50$ though it's quality would probably be 1000% Wc3 TFT's quality so they'd like to sell for 1000% of Wc3 price?
And there's lot of crappier games that are sold for 50$-60$ although they don't reach Blizzard quality and they don't even have editor.

Level 9
i won't say blizzard is greedy compared to their game quality.
I mean i've bought Wc3 and TFT for something like 50$
And you'll probably bought Sc 2 for something like 50$ though it's quality would probably be 1000% Wc3 TFT's quality so they'd like to sell for 1000% of Wc3 price?
And there's lot of crappier games that are sold for 50$-60$ although they don't reach Blizzard quality and they don't even have editor.

I believe the battle chest for WC3 and TFT is as cheap as $30.

But even as companies are forced to make better games with better graphics (because of the demand for "next gen graphics"), the prices of game have not risen with them as much as the price of making games has. A business if a business. I completely agree with Callahan.

I ain't no bloody nerd.. xD
I said I'd have more time now, I never said I played more games then hang round with friends.
Anyway you all fail.. xD

Personally, I always prioritize hanging out with friends ahead of gaming. The way you said it, it sounded like your gaming time and hang out time conflicted. It sounds like you fail.

Level 25
Warcraft 3 doesn't have an install limit, silly. Plus, for the most part, I just copy the WC3 file and it still works. It's quicker that way.

o_O I hear about limit install the first time. Does this affect any computer or is limit applied only on a singe com? Which games have it?

+ Thread name.
Maybe it was for SC2? :eek:

Level 40
I believe the battle chest for WC3 and TFT is as cheap as $30.

But even as companies are forced to make better games with better graphics (because of the demand for "next gen graphics"), the prices of game have not risen with them as much as the price of making games has. A business if a business. I completely agree with Callahan.
Prices go down as time goes on. Wc3 itself premiered around 60ish, and the expansion 40ish.

+ Thread name.
Maybe it was for SC2? :eek:
What do expansions have to do with securom? As for the quote, that was Mechanical Man misinterpreting an aside.

The two expansion idea is awesome, and I have yet to see a good argument against it. As for the people that think the game will somehow be broken without 3x the campaign length of StarCraft/WarCraft III, you're nutjobs, end of story.

Oh, also, it won't be StarCraft with a few changed units. What hole have you been living in for the past year and a half?

Level 6
I bought Wc3 shortly after it came out then got TFT on ebay for cheap it was a grand total of 70$ of spending and i play Wc3 and TFT more than all other fancy 50$ a peace rts put together blizzard simply makes higher quality games than other company's and if they want to make 2 expansions putting there games price at a maximum of 150$ (unlikely) then more power to them in my experience blizzards Rts are worth every dime. Also I would like to see Sc2 come out as soon as possible so I don't mind expansions as for you nay sayers I sujest you get the game first then whine instead of speculating the end of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.