• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How Long Will Starcraft 2 Take?

How Long Will Starcraft II Take To Be Released?

• 6 months or less

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • About a year

Votes: 39 36.4%
  • A year and a half

Votes: 18 16.8%
  • About 2 years

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • More than 2 years

Votes: 15 14.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hope it wont be 2 years, i mean, the graphics would highly likely be outdated at that time.. :p
And when you have worked on a game for so many years, and you can almost showcase everything, it cant be so long.. So be sceptic, around 1 year.. But I would most likely say around 6-7 months

Level 24
no updates on starcraft2.com for 4 whole days! way too long for such an anticipated game, especially when you see everything they have in the trailers.

if they're trying to make anticipation even bigger, it's definitely working

Level 3
I was looking at all of the pictures and movies that they have, and I noticed something. Very few buildings besides terrain are shown. And then only 4 (maybe) terran units were shown, (siege tank, marine, scv, and possibly a firebat). Many protoss units were shown, but only 3 buildings that I could see, out of all of their screens, and only lings were shown insofar as zerg is concerned. A friend told me that there were some obvious texture flaws in some of the units shown (I know nothing about 3D art). So there is another setback. I also noticed that only two terrains were shown, the jungle area and the space platform. Being multiplayer playable with all three races doesn't mean that they have the textures finished, or even the models. I have played some beta rts games where most of the units were basically identical blocks, with only statistical differences. I would be hesitant to put a release date of less than a year and a half for this, based on what is shown from the site. If they show that they have made more progress (reveal other buildings or units in pictures) than I might think it could be released earlier. As it stands, it seems unreasonable to expect it to be out in 6 months.

Level 24
what are you talking about only 4 terran units? haven't you seen the units that can jump cliffs? and about lings, yeah you're right, zerglings and BANGLINGS :O. but yeah, i definitely wouldn't expect it to be out in 6 months. maybe a year? i'm really hopeful for the rumours of Oct 2007 to be true though.

Level 7
Gameplay trailer shows more protoss buildings true barley any terran units or buildings yet but you never know.They could be hiding some stuff.

Level 3
i think whats confusing alot of people, myself included, is why they have left it so long to admit its development. if infact it is in the latter stages why have they only told us now? i mean usually we are given previews, developers insights and all sorts of little bits of info before a trailer is released. for SC2 they have said they making it, released a game play trailer and according to some sources have set a release date in coming months?!?! either they're playing mind games or they bloody fast coders.

Well, from my experience, the longer I know about an upcoming game before it comes out, the less i want it when it does, not sure why exactly :p. Anyway, telling people as clsoe as possible to the release date seems a good diea to me because everyone will still be quite hyped about ti when it actually comes out.

Level 13
I saw:
BC's
Terran shuttles
SCV's
Marines
Raptors (sex !)
Siege tanks
*MAYBE a wraith, cant remember*
Ghost

Thats all that i saw for terrans...no medics ? makes me sad :(

Level 3
Closest possible release was rumored to be this december, other two release dates are April 2008 and October 2008.

Why should it take 2 years? That's just stupid, it's been in development ever since TFT went out. I'm sure in 5 years they could release a demo or beta.

Level 15
When a company says a game will be released 'when it is ready', they would not 'fake' a gameplay video. They've waited 4 years to reveal its being made. If it wasn't so far done, they wouldn't have shown us yet.

It's amazing how such stupid people manage to get on the Internet.

There's been rumours of October 07, though we need to see how much they've really done (Blizzcon) before even speculating how long it will take. Why were units omitted in vids? Either they're not done or they didn't want to show us everything.

Level 24
i don't remember which mod's signature has this but... "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people"

and yes, there are stupid people >_<

[on-topic]anyways, two years? jesus, they cancelled Ghost and stuck a knife through the hearts of half the fans of SC, they wouldn't take two years after announcing SCII after the disaster of Ghost

Level 6
Likely a year, or a little more. Just because they showed us one game play video, doesn't mean alot. They might still have to do alot of the zerg units, do campaign maps, balance, multilayer support, ect.

Level 3
Btw, for all those who've mentioned a faked gameplay video.

If you go and listen to the PC Gamer Audio Podcast ep 83. one of the members of their team has actually seen the game being played because their magazine gets coverage for starcraft 2.

So...it's not likely to be faked as they have a working copy :p

Level 4
i don't remember which mod's signature has this but... "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people"

and yes, there are stupid people >_<

[on-topic]anyways, two years? jesus, they cancelled Ghost and stuck a knife through the hearts of half the fans of SC, they wouldn't take two years after announcing SCII after the disaster of Ghost

i have something that helps the pain of ghost being "gone"

but remember. this is a Blizzard game. even for SCG they waited three years before "cancelling" it. soooo even though we can name bunches of units from the screens and stuff, it doesn't mean anything. the only for sure units are the officially named ones and even then only maybe.

Level 24
Ah star 2 great potential.I heard that the marines are just like in warcraft(a lil boring ,and ulgy,the hydralisks and zerlings follow the marines cause they 2 are in the game.Ive also heard that the inventory sistem is on,Kerigan lives and can the grafics need a Direct X 9.6C.Zomg.Well about the Direct X i think it was a scam.Long live starcrat.The release will be in 1 year.

Level 13
The marines are NOT like they are in wc3. wc3 marines are a spoofed edited and remixed version of the original star craft 1 marines. Starcraft 2 marines are a nice nod to the original starcraft 1 marines. just in 3d with a few extra bits. oh and riot sheilds. There is no inventory system. wc3 zerglings are based off concept art sc2 zerglings are based on multiple sources with some new things as well (scale like carpaces on parts of body, wings, a generaly more insectoid apearance. the direct X thing is so XP users can play and is a wise choice. We havent even seen a starcraft 2 hydralisk other than in art so please ... SILENCE on the idea of a crapy hydralisk.

Soory for all the spelling errors... i cant grammar today, lol.

Level 13
Comparison of hydralisks.
wc3:
hydrasecret.jpg

SC2:
ss15.jpg

Oh yeah they are so exactly the same, should i silence now ?

Level 24
He said there was a hydralisk in an SCII trailer. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it's certainly what he's saying.

Level 24
Well sorry if u guys dont see what i see :))).The Hydralisk is based on the 3D form (from wc3)The model froom Starcraft Ghost Recon and it looks the same.Well with a lil more spikes and a cool figure.The trailer i think is a scam because i saw some images from sc 1 and so sorry if i've upset u guys .Arent we all a comunity.And Masive attack thats just a picture ure showing me there.Dont u think u need a lilte more proof.:)))))))

Last edited:
Level 24
Bah, I've pointed everything else the average user would need out, might as well go the whole nine yards. Expect an edit within ~10 minutes with a picture.

Attachments

• Post Content.JPG
    Post Content.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Level 13
I see no pictures. Im not pretending to know what the hell is going on at blizzard. I have however seen all the trailers and all the artwork and BASED ON WHAT I HAVE SEEN that is what the hydralisk MIGHT look like. The point is that the hydralisk does not look like the piece of sh*t thats in Wc3. thats for sure. most likely it will look like it was in the original starcraft. but 3d with some witty new edits.

Level 24
So now that thats established, SCII actually is coming out in 2008, or so I have heard on another thread. I win for voting About a year.

Level 4
the hydralisk is a smegging mutated caterpillar! (from canon) it doesn't matter what it looks like it'll probably be just as useful as ever.

"or so i have heard from another thread"

yeah. a thread.

Level 24
Would it help if I showed you the thread? How about the link in that thread?

Anyways, I enjoyed brad.dude03's comment about Koreans everywhere cutting themselves.

Level 24
I'm sure that this
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6171790.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop&title&1=#49310840579119974883 said:
When asked about the game's release date, Pardo said, "The only thing I can give you [that's] concrete is it's not going to be this year. Some people were hoping, because of how advanced the game looks, that we'd have it out by Christmas, but that's definitely not happening."
didn't help with your decision at all.

Level 13
According to blizzard they are very flexible and allow for DX 9 and play on both XP and vista. I wouldnt woory about your system if i were you.

Off topic: why does your custom user title say SCII player if SCII is not even out yet (and wont be untill next year at the earliest).

Status
Not open for further replies.