• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How good is Galaxy Editor

How good will Galaxy Editor Be?

• Amazing

Votes: 87 59.6%
  • Good, Better than Warcraft 3

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • About the Same as Warcraft 3

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Not very good

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Terrible

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Cant tell, its not out. I think it will be on par with Warcraft 3, but some options, like making units fly heights change by adding Storm Crow, will be auto done so as to avoid silly workarounds.

Level 19
  • Customizable UI.
  • C/Java like-scripting-language.
  • Mouse Detection.
  • Inbuilt Physics.
  • Customizable terrain palettes/textures.
  • Capable of creating effective roads.
  • Capable of raising and lowering water/lava levels.
  • Custom lightning.
  • Editor specifically targeted for powerful customizable spells.
  • Item support.
  • Hero support.
  • Multiple stats support.
  • Multiple resource support.
  • Blizzard's future plan to implement Co-op campaign feature.
  • Better support for the mapping community.
  • Online storage and account attachment.
  • Being able to sell 'incredible good' maps.
  • And a lot more.

These alone pretty much makes it up.

Last edited:
Level 4
What benefit is there to commenting on something that you haven't seen or used? It's like criticizing a movie you have no knowledge whatsoever of.

Level 3
I have read things about it, but have never used it yet. I still think it will be amazing just from what I have read so far. a better analogy would be Criticizing a movie you have researched and read reviews on, yet actually haven't seen.

Level 9
  • Customizable UI.
  • Mouse Detection.
  • Inbuilt Physics.
  • Custom lightning.
  • Item support.
  • Hero support.
    [*]Blizzard's future plan to implement Co-op campaign feature.
    [*]Online storage and account attachment.
  • And a lot more.

Can you give me the source to where you heard that "Blizzard's future plan to implement Co-op campaign feature." and "Online storage and account attachment.", please :) If those are true! omg

Level 19
Can you give me the source to where you heard that "Blizzard's future plan to implement Co-op campaign feature." and "Online storage and account attachment.", please :) If those are true! omg

Well, I am not able to find information regarding maps attached to your account, I might be wrong on that, but here is for the rest. :p

Blizzard said:
Battle.net will introduce a feature called Map Publishing. Map Publishing will let users upload their maps to the service and share them with the rest of the community immediately on the service. This also ties in with the goal of making Battle.net an always-connected experience -- you can publish, browse, and download maps directly via the Battle.net client.
Source: http://www.starcraft2.com/features/misc/battlenet.xml

Frank Pearce said:
I've heard about Dawn of War II potentially having a co-operative [campaign] experience, which is a really cool idea. [It's] something we talked about that we don't have for the launch of StarCraft II, but it's definitely something that we've kept in mind when creating the technology so it doesn't preclude from doing something like that in the future.

Source: http://starfeeder.gameriot.com/blog...d-at-another-interview-published-from-Liepzig

If I'm not mistaken I did also watch a video interview of Rob Pardo or Dustin Browder discussing the potential of implementing a coop campaign feature later down the drain after the release. Since I got no proof don't take my word for it.

Level 14
C/Java like-scripting-language.
AFAIR, they said the language is not object oriented, so being Java-like is out of question. About the C-like...the way it currently looks, its not going to resemble C much. Sure, they kept the freaking semicolons and braces, but thats a pretty minor change from JASS. They traded the loop-endloop construct for while and (probably, havent seen it yet) for (which i personally dont like as much as loop-endloop). They kept && and ||, instead of replacing it with the much more readable (my opinion) "and" and "or".
If you look at it, half the features from C are missing (or have been changed).
In my opinion, Galaxy is just an updated version of JASS with a crappy syntax.
I am grateful they added binary operators at last. I like the include key word. I like being able to define prototypes of functions. But there isnt much else that looks good.

Inbuilt Physics.
What does inbuilt mean? Will we have access to it, so we can manipulate physics? Or will we only be able to watch pretty physics we cant influence no matter what?

Multiple resource support.
Theres hardcoded support for exactly one more resource (besides the standard ones which are minerals, gas and food). You can probably make the custom resource behave like the food resource (meaning that theres probably support for a maximum amount).

but it's definitely something that we've kept in mind when creating the technology so it doesn't preclude from doing something like that in the future.
Plans != actions. Ill trust that when i see the feature fully implemented (meaning not half assed, with half the important features missing) in the Editor.

Better support for the mapping community.
Thats a promise of Blizzard. Well see how much of it will be kept after the release.

Level 9
AFAIR, they said the language is not object oriented, so being Java-like is out of question. About the C-like...the way it currently looks, its not going to resemble C much. Sure, they kept the freaking semicolons and braces, but thats a pretty minor change from JASS. They traded the loop-endloop construct for while and (probably, havent seen it yet) for (which i personally dont like as much as loop-endloop). They kept && and ||, instead of replacing it with the much more readable (my opinion) "and" and "or".
If you look at it, half the features from C are missing (or have been changed).
In my opinion, Galaxy is just an updated version of JASS with a crappy syntax.
I am grateful they added binary operators at last. I like the include key word. I like being able to define prototypes of functions. But there isnt much else that looks good.

What does inbuilt mean? Will we have access to it, so we can manipulate physics? Or will we only be able to watch pretty physics we cant influence no matter what?

Theres hardcoded support for exactly one more resource (besides the standard ones which are minerals, gas and food). You can probably make the custom resource behave like the food resource (meaning that theres probably support for a maximum amount).

Plans != actions. Ill trust that when i see the feature fully implemented (meaning not half assed, with half the important features missing) in the Editor.

Thats a promise of Blizzard. Well see how much of it will be kept after the release.

You really do not trust Blizzard, huh? I myself, think that blizzard have grown and learned so much since Starcraft 1, hell, even Wc3, I think this Galaxy Editor is going to have everything the Wc3 modding community have asked for so far, and even more by the looks of it :)

Of cause, if Blizzard proves me wrong, It might be the last game I buy from them!

Does anyone have some information on the number of people working on SC2, and how many on SC1 & Wc3? I guess, after WoW, Blizzard got some more(unlimited) money to play around for? If (a guess) they posted 5 times the money into this, including their experiance since then, this game and Editor is going to be freaking amazing!

Level 4
Battle.net will introduce a feature called Map Publishing. Map Publishing will let users upload their maps to the service and share them with the rest of the community immediately on the service. This also ties in with the goal of making Battle.net an always-connected experience -- you can publish, browse, and download maps directly via the Battle.net client.
doesnt this signal the decline of this very site?
if a built in, in game publishing system is created, and this is an online out of game publishing system for WC3, wont it be redundant and obsolete to keep this site running? (not saying that the site doesnt have other features, so i suppose it could be kept up for models and artwork and just for having a community.)

Level 10
doesnt this signal the decline of this very site?
if a built in, in game publishing system is created, and this is an online out of game publishing system for WC3, wont it be redundant and obsolete to keep this site running? (not saying that the site doesnt have other features, so i suppose it could be kept up for models and artwork and just for having a community.)

I dont think it would, since this site is so much more then just publishing maps, spells and skins/models/icons. This site is a community for Mappers/modders. And from what I've seen people gets alot of help and learns alot of stuff from this place.

Level 19
No one will buy custom maps... and if one person did, they would give it to everyone else... I think that the selling of custom maps is a revolting action.

Well, they could actually make it work in theory(as in hypothesis).

Look at it from this angle. If they gave premium maps a signature then they'll be able to make Battle.net 2.0 users required to purchase the key to unlock maps with this signature.

Basically similar to what Steam does with its games attached to accounts..

I agree about few people buying custom maps, i figure that blizzard should just charge an extra 5$ for the game, making all maps free, but still pay those who create good maps, as there still selling blizzard copys of the game. (look how many people got back into wc3 because of dota, alot of them had to buy new cdkeys)

It would be cool if they impliment a simple browser in-game... They should also make an IM service so players can get messages at anytime without being in game

Level 6
Well, they could actually make it work in theory(as in hypothesis).

Look at it from this angle. If they gave premium maps a signature then they'll be able to make Battle.net 2.0 users required to purchase the key to unlock maps with this signature.

Basically similar to what Steam does with its games attached to accounts..

Since everything seems to be blizz-server based, It will probably be a lot easier for them. The map is on the server. That's where it stays.

Level 3
I agree about few people buying custom maps, i figure that blizzard should just charge an extra 5$ for the game, making all maps free, but still pay those who create good maps, as there still selling blizzard copys of the game. (look how many people got back into wc3 because of dota, alot of them had to buy new cdkeys)

It would be cool if they impliment a simple browser in-game... They should also make an IM service so players can get messages at anytime without being in game

They actually are making in-game IM services. Battle.net 2.0 goes into diablo, warcraft and starcraft games. Also you can load up MSN or aim. Saw it on the battle.net FAQ on their site :).
Also, the whole paying for maps thing, to me, sounds like BS. I can see tons of people making the fun games cost money. And only people able to play custom maps are the rich ones.. I mean wtf is with that. If they put out a costing money for custom games feature. I will personally, slap the creator of battle.net 2.0.

Level 8
  • Customizable UI.
  • Mouse Detection.
  • Inbuilt Physics.
  • Custom lightning.
  • Item support.
  • Hero support.
  • And a lot more.

Edit: Dont forget about the leak systeme, that finds big bugs(atleast thats when i was told) and the choice of locking a map without downloading one of those compressor locking machine things!

Level 10
How about we WAIT until it is actually in our hands?

We have the BETA.

Anyway...

Buying Maps: They want this feature. For some reason they want it BAD. This is, imo, the SOLE reason why everything is server-side and you MUST log in to be able to play.

I hate this feature with a burning passion.

Give me my LAN back you pieces of...

Level 8
There's nothing wrong with buying maps. Especially when the whole system around these premium maps is build up nicely.

Because I think people like IceFrog deserve to gain some money for their heavy work they put into their project. And we're talking about pretty low numbers here, yet combined enough for the creators of successful maps / mods.
Custom Maps and especially the really good ones allow so much extra value...

Why don't spend some money for those who will dedicate their time for these maps and heavily increase your joy with SC2. Heck only the best of the best will be able to make 'good' money that way.
And after all there will probably be very few maps that get a premium status and there's still plenty to play without ever paying another cent.

But as I said, it depends on how this all is done in BNet2.0

[/OffTopic]

I think the new Galaxy Editor is amazing so far but lacks in some important areas. Mostly the current issues with Galaxy Code annoy me. But let's see if Andromeda by Gex will be able to fix most of those issues ;O

I was hugely impressed by the model editor / previewer that's build inside the object editor. Incredible handy o_O

Level 10
Uuuummm, have you ever checked the intelligence level of most players?
People in WoW pay money just for different looking mounts.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that those same people wouldn't pay for a MAP.

They could sell different UI skins, and make money.

"There is an ass for every seat."

Anyways, the maps that will be premium will only be really good maps. DotA(Which probabllly is the most played map) Wouldn't even become premium.. So it will be worht the money I'd guess...

Level 10
Great edtior, but blizzard dissapoint me again. Is there cash cow running dry? They'll start a revelation, gosh, will moddb start charging for downloads/paying makers next?

Mods/Custom content should remain free, it's one of the few reasons pc > consoles.

Only the very best maps will be offerd Premium. You know the most played map DotA wouldn't be good enough for Premium. So most maps will be free

Level 22
I think it's pretty nice, but there are some features which didn't come with the beta version of the editor which will come when SC2 is released, so the editor isn't finished yet. I would say it's way better than the wc3 editor, but not "amazing". There are a few things which bother me, f.ex. the fact that you can't right click a trigger and choose "Convert to Custom script". You need to do some ugly tricks to write stuff in pure Galaxy.

Level 11
Overall, I love it. New data editor is beyond awesome. It's nice, because you can create custom abilities without even needing to code them. It is lame that they didn't add in more support for custom scripting, but meh, I can live.

However, its annoying that you can't change the terrain via triggers. SC2 had so much potential for random-generated terrain. Really annoys me.

Level 8
  • Customizable UI.
  • Mouse Detection.
  • Inbuilt Physics.
  • Custom lightning.
  • Item support.
  • Hero support.
  • And a lot more.

Now some cons:
  • Customizable UI lags like hell in multi-player.
  • The language is still way beneath the power of Lua or Python, which are commonly used for these kind of purposes.
  • The roads do not cross each other, but overlay each other instead.
  • No support for directly editing the map script.
  • A huge lack of models/units/resources.
  • Water pieces cannot be resized. Instead they take up the whole tile.
  • Still not able to make MMO games.
  • Bank system is using cache.
  • Bank system is limited to load atmost 80 values.
  • Bank system is working only with literal values. WTF?!?!
  • They removed pointers from Galaxy.
  • Co-Op campaign will force all players to change the map together, so it still sucks.
  • Being able to sell 'incredible good' maps. Really bad.
  • And a lot more.
^^ I believe most of these are going to be fixed at the end of the beta, but for now they exist and they make it all suck real hard.

EDIT: Even more bullshit

• You cannot manipulate the terrain via triggers.
  • The physics are unaccessible by the user. They are just for the effects and they do not affect the gameplay in anyway.

Level 11
Yeah, I figured physics sucked when I actually tried to make a baneling soccer variant. Apparently, if you apply a force of 5000000 onto the baneling, it just makes him run away at max speed for a split second then stop.

Also, you can't actually manipulate terrain textures ingame at all. I checked the Terrain Deformation, the only real use for it is to destroy foliage and to flattan rough terrain when people put buildings on it. Very stupid.

Last edited:
Level 10
Also, you can't actually manipulate terrain textures ingame at all. I checked the Terrain Deformation, the only real use for it is to destroy foliage and to flattan rough terrain when people put buildings on it. Very stupid.

There is a video somewhere of a dude doing the same thing that they did in that Uberlisk video, making spikes of terrain.

Go look for it, it was an archon casting a spell I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.