• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do you like your heroes in rpgs?

How do you like your hero abilities in rpgs?

• Spellbooks

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • 6 Advanced Spells

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • 5 advanced spells + Spellbook with passives, buffs,debuffs

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Okay so yea im making rpg atm and im thinking, ive seen a lot of ways heroes have been done in rpgs, and a lot i dont like, so im going to ask the public :O. I have 3 ways im thinking of doing it, also im looking for hero ideas so shoot.

1. Spellbooks- this is a general way done in defiance and such, spells arnt as custom and normally based off stats but you have more abilities, so if you like clicking lots of abilities then youd like this system.
2. 6 General Abilities - This is done in synergy orpg, TBR and TkoK, you can get up to 6 abilities and these abilities are much more custom and have unique purposes to help out each class.
3. Spellbook + 5 abilities - i thought of this way this morning, you would have 5 main damaging abilities that would have unique purposes in either healing or doing damage and then you would have a spellbook, in these spellbooks would be passives, buffs, debuffs and cc's. Since this rpg is going to require cc i was thinking instead of ruining one or two of your 6 abilities just to have cc or a buff /debuff why not make a spellbook that has 5-11?

There is a poll for this above post :).
PS - you wouldnt have all the abilities in spellbooks / Out of spellbooks straight up, like all things it would be over the game, even with third idea youd have to earn the spell book abils as with 1-2 of the outer ones.

Also for heroes, i was thinking what would you guys prefer, im thinking of two ways to do heroes.
1. Separate - For each hero there will be a different idea, base around the hero, so like a nether mage not just a mage which abilities will be based around dark abils etc.
2. Mixed Specs in a way - Kinda similar to WoW, you pick a general class like warrior and you can change between specs for a cost (at the start you pick your general spec), so for a warrior you can be like a tank or melee dps (since there will be tier of sort later in game), a mage you can choose between 2-3 elements (wont be arcane,fire,frost lol), etc. This meaning there would be less classes but each class you could (During the game for a cost) change between specs, so like if you were a priest, while leveling you could be in dps form while in instances you could be in healing, this gives a higher variety but less choice class wise.

I wont make a poll for this but id like peoples opinions and suggestions if you got anymore ideas for either of the things.

Note: If you would like more info on the rpg here is link to more info (From when i was recruiting not to far back)
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/project-recruitment-256/name-in-making-orpg-141149/

Cheers

Level 9
You should stick to the basic 6 abilities, too many RPGs use the spell book and only a few people can balance it quite right ;)

hope i helped, click this

Level 3
Yea, i was thinking to stick with it, but also thinking on the 5 advanced abils + passives / buffs / debuffs / cc in a spellbook to make it more mmo in a way w/o wasting 1 of the 6 abils to do one of them... hmm , also any comments on hero types?

Level 7
Spells

I would go for 3. Spellbook + 5 abilities

The problem with spellbooks is, that it is very annoying to be clicking on it the whole time. And the problem with only 6 abilities is, that it will get boring using the same stuff the whole time.

Making a mix of these two is your best bet, the spellbook would be a great place to store stuff such as passive bonusses and abilities with a long cooldown such as a ressurection spell for example.

Heroes

Seperate heroes are okay. But things such as talent specs could work out amazing. I think it is a great way to build up and costumize your character. If you are using this you got to avoid making it a WoW copy and keep from making it too complicated.

I think it would be best to stick at one talent tree - a tree that provides passive bonusses, out of combat abilities etc.

Level 14
I think spellbooks work fine, because you can have many spells.
Seperate heroes are great, i don't like mixed stuff.
I agree with Arcany, one talent tree.

Level 8
If you would like hero suggestions.

MAGE

Light Path
Mage (General Magic user)
Light Mage (Steers towards healing)
White Mage (Support/healing) / Monk (Has buffs, some combat too)

Dark Path
Mage (General Magic user)
Dark Mage (Steers towards damage)
Necromancer (Summons and nukes) / Warlock (Curses and DoT, less summons)

WARRIOR

Light Path
Warrior (combat, melee, generalised)
Paladin (Combat with self buffs)
Inquisitor (Combat with buffs, minor heals) / Templar (More Combat than buffs)

Dark Path
Warrior (combat, melee, generalised)
Black Knight (more fighting abilities)
Demon Knight (combat with some warlock-type magic) / Death Knight (combat with necromancer magic thrown in)

ROUGE

Light Path
Rouge (stealth, DPS)
Spy (ranged, DPS, stealth)
Treasure Hunter (support, DPS, ranged) / Sentinel (increased DPS and stealth)

Dark Path
Rouge (stealth, DPS)
Thief (Pickpocketing, poison, stealth, DPS)
Assasin (Increased DPS and quick kills) / Thug (Slower DPS, but with massive damage and stuns)

DRUID

Light Path
Druid (nature magic)
Restorer (nature magic with healing)
Keeper (healing focus) / Druid of the Sky (summoning, little combat and healing)

Dark Path
Druid (nature magic)
Feral (combat based nature magic)
Shaman (best combat, nukes) / Druid of the Rocks (summoning, little combat and stuns)

Level 7
In my map i use professional skills spellbook (1, skills for class), Nano-Suit spellbook (2, basic for all).

and also heroes have 4 heroes ability for their class which they learn with skill points.

I don't think it is bad.

Professional skills automatically growns up when heroes get level.

But my map not a RPG, it is survival and require good micro control of hero. xD

Level 3
Well the way im trying to put idea 2 is like you have 5 advanced abilities which are castable which will either be like damaging or healing based on your class, these will be your main spells. Then in your spell book which you will have as your 6th ability will contain Passives, Buffs, Debuffs, and CCs. Reason for that is so instead of having 6 advanced abilities and 1-2 being a passive or a cc which is quite boring even though it may be important this adds a bit more variety i thought.

Also with the talents it would not be as you level you pick your talent tree, i was thinking a bit simpler since i find a copy of WoW a bit boring.
It would be like if you pick a warrior, you can be either like DPS or TANK which will change your abilities, and you can pay a small cost to change in game which will allow a bit more variety if people somewhat get their character to high level and think, i don t want to just DPS i want to tank etc. It would just be a small way to make the map a bit more custom, the other way is just to make 1 class for each purpose and if you choose it u stick with it lol.

Level 9
I would personaly stick with classic hero types such as necromancer, preist, warlock etc. but thats just my opinion.

Level 10
Spells

I would go for 3. Spellbook + 5 abilities

The problem with spellbooks is, that it is very annoying to be clicking on it the whole time. And the problem with only 6 abilities is, that it will get boring using the same stuff the whole time.

Triggers! Design a spellbook that allows you to swap your other 5 abils. So u got a list with 10 abils or more, and then you click them to swap the other abilities. Make them fixed to slots, so that you can ready 1 AoE spell, 1 passive, etc. And use the same hotkey for all abilities that share button location.

Level 13
the way i like skills in rpgs in general is
class based than some way of makeing some skill under a spec stronger than others to provide more strenght to the speced skills

AKA WoW spec tree
books or items to make skills stronger than sorta thing

so maybe 3 skill books than 3 spec books to make each book stronger

Status
Not open for further replies.