• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] How do you like your RPGs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
My friend and I have been putting thoughts into making an RPG but we have some questions that need answering and I would love to get some feedback from you guys.

Firstly:

- Races/classes?
Should there be races and classes OR should we stick with our original idea where items need to be equipped to make the effects work, it also adds a model to the unit. Each weapon and parts of armor will have an abilities or passives, this way you can mix different types of armor and weapons together to create your own type of class.

- Equip Items?
That being said, should the items be equipped? or just picked up. If the items must be equipped that gives the player more slots to hold various items while still having gear equipped.

- Quest Style?
Should the quests be similar to the default quest system for each player on their own? Should quests be shared for everyone? Or should I keep looking for a custom created quest system? So far I haven't found a bug free quest system for multiplayer. Maybe someone knows of a good system?

- Cinematics?
Lastly, should the quests have cinematics? I was thinking about only adding cinematics to the main story line quests and giving the players the choice to skip it.

Thanks for reading and I can't wait to hear some feed back from you guys :).

Level 30
  • Races/Classes
  • Making Races/Classes seems overused enough and hard to work it because if you are going with here, you will have to do many triggering for that but at the same time its also a great idea, if you are patient enough. SO I suggest if you are a patient map maker, you can include Races/Classes.

Equip Items
  • I can only see few RPGS with that system so its better if you do that because its quite an disadvantage if equipments stays at inventory and consuming much space.

Quest Style
  • If you are yet not experience in triggering, its better to stick to default Quest SYstem and I suggest for quest to be Shared so the word MULTIPLAYER (If you are planning it to be Multiplayer though) will have its meaning or prupose in the game.

Cinematics
  • I suggest Quest with cinematic to make it more detailed enough for players to understand the situatons in the quest rather than reading requirements: if you are going with quests with cinematic, you should make it skippable because some doesnt have much patient to watch long cinematics and better if you will not do it in cinematic mode but Disabled Control to all units

Level 21
My friend and I have been putting thoughts into making an RPG but we have some questions that need answering and I would love to get some feedback from you guys.

Firstly:

- Races/classes?
Should there be races and classes OR should we stick with our original idea where items need to be equipped to make the effects work, it also adds a model to the unit. Each weapon and parts of armor will have an abilities or passives, this way you can mix different types of armor and weapons together to create your own type of class.

- Equip Items?
That being said, should the items be equipped? or just picked up. If the items must be equipped that gives the player more slots to hold various items while still having gear equipped.

- Quest Style?
Should the quests be similar to the default quest system for each player on their own? Should quests be shared for everyone? Or should I keep looking for a custom created quest system? So far I haven't found a bug free quest system for multiplayer. Maybe someone knows of a good system?

- Cinematics?
Lastly, should the quests have cinematics? I was thinking about only adding cinematics to the main story line quests and giving the players the choice to skip it.

Thanks for reading and I can't wait to hear some feed back from you guys :).

- It's usually better if every person creates their own classes. However, it's incredibly hard as a modder to make it work. So if you are not sure that you can handle it, then make classes. Else, make people define their own.
- Mix of the two approaches. I'd have it so that heroes have their own inventory for equipping items and a few dummy units for unequipped stuff.
- If the quests give a choice to what order you want them in, then make everyone have the separately. If not, then give the same quest to all whenever something is accepted.
- Cinematics are nice, just make sure escape can be used to skip them.

Level 14
Hey Jackhamme.
Bellow follows my opinion:

- Races/classes?

I mostly prefer classes so that we can see Orc Warlock and an Orc Assasin for example. Using equiped items is not a bad idea at all.

- Equip Items?

In order to have lots of items equiped you should create a lot of slots or do something like SotP.
I would like to see items simmilar to Dota like an armor does not only increases your armor by 10 it also adds magic attributes or an active/passive spell etc.
Of coarse this depends on the type of armor. You can't have Slippers of Agility increase your Inteligence.

- Quest Style?

You can create a main quest for all players (e.g. Kill dat troll) and optional quest (e.g. Mr Bob the farmer wants you to clean his full of shit toilet).
In addition you can create quest specialized for each hero (e.g. You are a troll assasin. Go and assasinate a cow).

- Cinematics?

It will be good to add cinematics just create the esc option.
Most people will be bored to see it unless it's really awsome.
Creating a very good cinematic will make your story more epic.

Level 23
- Races/classes?
A combination of both would be better. Like different items and attachments for a class and different ones for another.

- Equip Items?
Being an RPG, I think it would be better if it was equipped since RPGs usually have many quests and there's a chance that a character would have to carry a lot of quest items. A custom inventory system would be a good thing to use.

- Quest Style?
I think shared quests is better to encourage more co-op.

- Cinematics?
Yep, just add cinematics to the main quests and just use game texts for the side quests.

Well, these are just my suggestions. and like SoJ said, you should make the rpg the way you like it. :3

Level 17
How about, make classes but limit the skills obtainable to the gear equipped ala FF Tactics/IX style.

Equip them and leave inventory for consumables. Quest items don't even have to be actual items EVER, I hate when people do that. If you need to actually pick it up, make it into an instant cast power up type of item (like tomes), those can be picked up even if your inventory is full and you can fire a condition when the player picks it up.

Quests ? Share them, it is god awful if you have to kill 10 wolves in a field where only 3 respawn and 4 other people have the same quest.

Cinematics should only ever be made if you cannot do what you want in the gameplay, such as have some neat camera movement that would be ruined if people could move around.
For general conversations ? Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.