1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Epic ORPG testers needed!

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by I need a name, May 12, 2009.

1. I need a name

I need a name

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I have created a map called Epic ORPG. I need beta testers. Here is what the map currently includes:
    -It's currently 2 player, you'd be surprised how much it takes for me to make it any more than that.
    -5 Hero Classes,
    -14 equipable items,
    -4 combinable ore materials,
    -A fully functional mining system that can level up,
    -A fully working item equipment system,
    -2 quests,
    -A working Smithing and Forging system.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please post a comment if you test the map.
    I will give rep. if a helpful comment is posted.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check the last comment created by me for the newest version.

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  2. NoAmmoSrry

NoAmmoSrry

Resources:
    Resources:
    tesing now

3. NoAmmoSrry

NoAmmoSrry

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ok I am going to sound like an asswhole but thats the worst shit i have ever played. There is no terrain, hero gets easily killed and i cant find any healing potions. But i might me wrong and it might actually be good, check with other ppl who test it.

4. leet.firefox

leet.firefox

Resources:
    Resources:
    Don't double post.

5. moosenoir

moosenoir

Resources:
    Resources:
    Im not so impressed by the terrain, because i think it's a great part of a ORPG. but dont let this take you down :)
    ________
    Best first vaporizer

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  6. I need a name

I need a name

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Update:

Version 0.02.
    -Due to complaining and frankly, bitching, the terrain has been improved.
    -The heroes HP has been increased.
    New version in this post.
    -Although I don't want to because he was right, he DID sound like an asshole, +rep for NoAmmoSrry.
    -moosenoir has recieved 1 reputation.
    Thanks for the feedback, more would be nice.

Attached Files:

7. NoAmmoSrry

NoAmmoSrry

Resources:
    Resources:
    lmao wtf did you do u just upped the terain, bro u gotta sculpt it like if you were making a statue out of clay. Be gentle with it like as if it were a women. and ur purring blockers in places where it shouldnt be. I was bored so i did a lil editing in the top left area. u might use it or do something like that or u could just keep doing what u are but that wouldnt be the smart thing to do.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  8. I need a name

I need a name

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Reply to Public Editor:

Wow you are good at terraining. There are a few little problems though.
    1. You removed the mountains divinding the towns. That was one of the big points I enjoyed. It made the game seem more linear so the players don't get confused.
    2. The game is supposed to be a war-torn world which is under attack by demons. There aren't really any waterfalls or forests like that.
    3. You removed the road that seperates the towns. I mean there's nothing wrong with the dirt road, but I believed the paved road looked more proffesional.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll try to take your advice and use your little edit as a model for what good terrain looks like.

9. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    I currently am too busy to test the map, but unless the map is...more modern of a map, then paved roads outside of towns are out of place.

If it's more medieval then there should be dirt roads outside of towns as this is consistent with history, and gives the map an overall more professional feeling because you are keeping consistent.

That's just my two cents. I'll take a look at the map rq and edit the post for further info.

EDIT: Okay couple Terrain things here with just a quick scan in WE:

Mountains: Blizzard cliffs are vomit-inducing. Create more natural-looking mountains and hills with the "Raise" tool. It'll take a little more time, but it will look 10 times better with JUST that. Then what you do is you can either: Make a specific tile unwalkable (Most people use Rock Tiles), or set up an assload of pathing blockers around every mountain. (I would advise the former)

Water: Couple things here. First of all, the normal water color sucks. But that's the least of your worries. The biggest would be the blizzard cliffs at the edge of water. Solution? ROLLING SHORES (http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...als-278/creating-rivers-rolling-shores-29389/). It will take a little longer, but once you get used to it, it's only a few minutes difference, and it makes the map look much, much better. Note, for deep water, you may have to raise the terrain a bit first if your "Cliff Level" is lower than 4. Also, water isn't normally in a perfectly straight line. But that's completely up to your map's story, so I won't say anything other than that.

Destructibles: Dear god. I'm sorry. But...horrible use of destructibles. You filled up almost 1/4 of the entire map with nothing but TREES. You've almost hit the destructibles limit already, and a large portion of the map isn't completed. I'm sorry to seem rude, but it just seems to me that you were being lazy and didn't want to terrain everything. if that is the case, make the map in sections. Do it bit by bit, or, if that too is still overwhelming, make the map smaller. Especially if it's only a 2 player RPG, you really don't need it to be 256x256. You could probably get off with much smaller, and achieve a better result in the end (Looks more professional, smaller size, faster loading, etc.)

Variation: While having one fluid tile may look good to a perfectionist (And I would know, I had to forcibly remove that thought from my own head a while back), or one "type" of tree on the entire map for the same reason, Naturally, this is wrong, and it is a huge turn-off. Oh, and Lordaeron Summer is the worst tileset ever, even customized. It's the ugliest shit ever. But, if you add in tiles from Ashenvale or Felwood sets, you can salvage the terrain a bit. But there is no "completely solid mass of trimmed grass" anywhere in nature. There's short grass, long grass, weeds, shrubs, dirt patches, rocks, etc. etc. You should really add in some tile variation.
    Height Variation is also important. You've got those ugly ass Blizzard cliffs everywhere, but that isn't what I mean. I mean hills and valleys. Unless your map is based in Florida, it shouldn't be flat, ^^

Anyway, if you have further questions, feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to give you some more tips. Though I won't terrain your map for you, sorry. :)

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  10. NoAmmoSrry

NoAmmoSrry

Resources:
    Resources:
    lol yea i noe i wasnt making the map just showing you some quick tips. If you want i can help you on your map cause current project is on hold.

11. I need a name

I need a name

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Update:

Version 0.03.
    -The terrain has been changed even more so. For now I'm only editing the starting area. Once the map becomes larger (More quests, levels, bosses, etc.) the other parts will be edited.
    -Lord_T has been added to the credits for his footmen corpse model.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The newest version is in this post.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The comments are coming... but more slowly that I would like.

Attached Files:

12. NoAmmoSrry

NoAmmoSrry

Resources:
    Resources:
    y is ur file so big? lol did u import alot of stuff? And please tell me you took out like half of the trees lmao u could use sight blockers instead of od trees, just a hint

13. I need a name

I need a name

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Reply to comment:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Most of the imported things are either the hero models or the many icons. Also in case you haven't noticed there are an assload of triggers.
    2. I know. There are so many trees because it's a forest. Sort of. It's more of a not-so-thick jungle.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also I got to go to sleep now so I won't be on until around 5:00 PM. I live in Arizona so we use some modified version of Mountain Time. I don't know what time that is for any of you.

14. NoAmmoSrry

NoAmmoSrry

Resources:
    Resources:
    Arizona has great Ice Tea. Im about an hour or two behind.

15. moosenoir

moosenoir

Resources:
    Resources:
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  16. I need a name

I need a name

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Reply to Tester:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ahh... decent feedback... it's good....
    1. Wow that was alot of stuff I didn't know. I am currently working on a complete upgrade of the terrain. But I have a couple of questions:
    -How do you make a terrain unwalkable?
    -What would you think would be the IDEAL water color? If you would format it like so....
    Red: ?
    Blue: ?
    Green: ?
    -Last question... how do you color your text like that? If it's too much trouble then just post a link
    2. About the majority of the terrain being unfinished... Once there's enough quests/bosses/creeps to support higher level heroes I will change the terrain accordingly. That's why I need ideas.
    Thanks for the feedback. Your reputation will be given with the new version. Even though you deserve 2 or 3. Lol.

17. NoAmmoSrry

NoAmmoSrry

Resources:
    Resources:
    1. Path blockers, as simple as that.

water is blue, but u want a demonic rpg? I would go blood red.

18. I need a name

I need a name

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Reply to comment:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Lol I tried that.... I went over the maximum Doodads/Destructables. So I need a way to make a certain terrain type unwalkable without pathing blockers.
    2. Blood red...... maybe...... I was thinking something else but now that you say it.... it sounds good.
    3. New version coming out soon with much, much improved terrain. You'll be surprised.

19. Vizel

Vizel

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm not sure if you can do it in the normal WE. I don't use it. I use NewGen and it's in the USME menu, in fact I just set the Ashenvale "Rock" tile to be unwalkeable as well as unbuildable.

As for coloring your text, at the buttom of the Quick Reply thing you'll see a button showing "Go Advanced" click that then in that editor, at the top, with all the buttons will be a "A" with a underline in Black. Click that button and a color palette will show up and you can change the colors of your text. Just highlight the text u want to change, ^^

(About the terrain being unfinished) Alright, makes sense enough. I'm going to be doing a similar thing for my map if I can ever find a spellmaker to help me out.

As for Water Color, you can make it any color you want really, but go to Scenarios -> Map Options then at the bottom will be "Use Water Tinting" and then you can change the color. The color I use that looks decent is "Grey" but that's just my personal favorite. If you're doing a somewhat tropical local for your map you might want something more like "Teal" it all really depends. And about the red...That'll make it look like Lava, :D

20. NoAmmoSrry

NoAmmoSrry

Resources:
    Resources:
    u dont need path blockers so close together