• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] What types of heroes would you like the most in a Scourge of Lordaern Open World RPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(TL;DR at the end)

Hello.

As a bit of background, I have been working on this awesome project for a while, in which I took the first 6 levels of the human campaign and turned them into an open world rpg, where you help Arthas throughout Lordaeron.

The project is going very well so far, but I am not quite sure what types of heroes would fit the best.

I know for sure the heroes will be Warcraft-ish, but definitely not the default ones, we need custom heroes.

And I have been thinking of 2 posibilities:
1. Race/Class combinations, similar to World of Warcraft, but only with Humans, Dwarves and High Elves.
2. Normal heroes, not race specific.

I believe normal heroes might fit better, but choosing a race, gender and class yourself feels like you are really a part of the world.

TL;DR
So I am asking you: what kind of heroes would fit the best? If there are classes, what classes would you see fit? If there are normal heroes, what would those heroes be like?

Tip: The map can use imports, so no worries about that

Edit: I screwed up 'Lordaeron' in the title, I know

Level 5
Given the situation, I'd prefer less direct involvement of the canon storyline, instead having your characters be more WoW-style adventurers during that time period. The canon plot happens across the map, but you aren't required any input in the situation. Some forms of player input could even be detrimental, like the solving and mitigating of canon incidents before he arrives leaving him less leveled and with a smaller army (due to less resource collection and fewer reinforcements catching up with him), so if you end up doing too much to help, you could be stuck helping in the future because Arthas winds up too weak to handle it alone.

Regarding classes, a thought that came to mind due to me contemplating an Undead campaign extension. Namely shifting classes based on lore incidents where various groups end up adopting different standards. Due to the time period, there's not much in the way of lore incidents to unlock variant classes, like the Scarlet Crusade coming along giving Paladins and Priests the ability to become much more offensively oriented versions of their respective class, but the setup reminds me that Paladins during the Second War were normal soldiers given a crash-course in the Holy Light. Essentially, prestige classes instead of longer progressions, unlocking new abilities as you level.

As an example, the base Warrior class could be only slightly more than a Footman in variety of abilities, but could end up prestiging to Paladin, replacing their Block with Devotion Aura and getting another one or two Paladin abilities, or become a Knight, being more independently powerful but lacking supportive abilities. Given this, the base classes could be Warrior, Priest, Scout and Mage, getting abilities that change them into other classes. The general mechanical pattern would be one ability being replaced and two added, making sure to never having enough active abilities to overflow the command card. This would mean a maximum of seven active abilities (provided there's a max-level-only ability replacing the ability-learning button) and a maximum of 11 abilities total (due to the learning screen having a Cancel button).

The thought arises to have an additional Acolyte base class for the Scourge, which can enter the Scourge classes but has different base abilities they carry forwards, possibly differing in abilities later on, such as exclusive access to plague-based magic that Mage-originating Necromancers could never access, or exclusively having both plague magic and reanimation where the default Mage-come-Necromancer has to choose one because they're locked to having Frost magic. This would give some direct player-versus-player access, and offers a very different experience in that you can gather XP and loot from attacking Lordaeron's official forces, in addition to the "Creeps". And you get a lot more minion access. Possibly even a right-off-the-bat Skeletal Warrior version of Carrion Beetle, where you have a set number you can make.

Level 9
If you want to keep it more lore-friendly, then best classes would be less "heroic" ones - e.g. Footman, Captain, Rifleman, etc. They might even have "ask Arthas for a Holy Light spell" as a self-heal ability!

Various sources have shown that among Footmen there has been a number of Dwarves, High Elf Swordsmen are basically Footmen too, so I guess you can go for race/class combos.
However, I think that making race-specific subclasses would be way to go. I.e. Human Footman, High Elf Footman/Swordsman and Dwarf Footman/whatever would be very similar - probably all have Defend or some variation thereof - but also some different abilities. E.g. Elf would have ability to throw his sword, like a Spellbreaker, or maybe block spells, Dwarf would have a discount weak Avatar, Human would have, I dunno, something.

If you want to go for more heroic classes, I'd suggest something like non-demonic Blood Mage, Ranger from beta, Crusader from Alpha, etc. Stuff kinda established in Warcraft.

Another idea you might consider is craftsmen heroes. Heroes more concerned with making artifacts for Arthas & Jaina (and other heroes) and various non-combat tasks (e.g. repair a bridge).

Thanks for the input!

Given the situation, I'd prefer less direct involvement of the canon storyline, instead having your characters be more WoW-style adventurers during that time period. The canon plot happens across the map, but you aren't required any input in the situation. Some forms of player input could even be detrimental, like the solving and mitigating of canon incidents before he arrives leaving him less leveled and with a smaller army (due to less resource collection and fewer reinforcements catching up with him), so if you end up doing too much to help, you could be stuck helping in the future because Arthas winds up too weak to handle it alone.

Regarding classes, a thought that came to mind due to me contemplating an Undead campaign extension. Namely shifting classes based on lore incidents where various groups end up adopting different standards. Due to the time period, there's not much in the way of lore incidents to unlock variant classes, like the Scarlet Crusade coming along giving Paladins and Priests the ability to become much more offensively oriented versions of their respective class, but the setup reminds me that Paladins during the Second War were normal soldiers given a crash-course in the Holy Light. Essentially, prestige classes instead of longer progressions, unlocking new abilities as you level.

As an example, the base Warrior class could be only slightly more than a Footman in variety of abilities, but could end up prestiging to Paladin, replacing their Block with Devotion Aura and getting another one or two Paladin abilities, or become a Knight, being more independently powerful but lacking supportive abilities. Given this, the base classes could be Warrior, Priest, Scout and Mage, getting abilities that change them into other classes. The general mechanical pattern would be one ability being replaced and two added, making sure to never having enough active abilities to overflow the command card. This would mean a maximum of seven active abilities (provided there's a max-level-only ability replacing the ability-learning button) and a maximum of 11 abilities total (due to the learning screen having a Cancel button).

The thought arises to have an additional Acolyte base class for the Scourge, which can enter the Scourge classes but has different base abilities they carry forwards, possibly differing in abilities later on, such as exclusive access to plague-based magic that Mage-originating Necromancers could never access, or exclusively having both plague magic and reanimation where the default Mage-come-Necromancer has to choose one because they're locked to having Frost magic. This would give some direct player-versus-player access, and offers a very different experience in that you can gather XP and loot from attacking Lordaeron's official forces, in addition to the "Creeps". And you get a lot more minion access. Possibly even a right-off-the-bat Skeletal Warrior version of Carrion Beetle, where you have a set number you can make.

The way the game is going to work is that you will not help Arthas all the time, but only in key moments, like helping defend Strahnbrad. Arthas will not 'level' per se, he will be more of a dynamic NPC, appearing throughout the game, doing different things, etc.
That said, I love the idea of upgrading your class to a better one!
What kind of abilities would you see fit for such classes?
I tend to stay away from 'deal X damage to the target' type abilities, like in other RPG's, as a filler ability.

If you want to keep it more lore-friendly, then best classes would be less "heroic" ones - e.g. Footman, Captain, Rifleman, etc. They might even have "ask Arthas for a Holy Light spell" as a self-heal ability!

Various sources have shown that among Footmen there has been a number of Dwarves, High Elf Swordsmen are basically Footmen too, so I guess you can go for race/class combos.
However, I think that making race-specific subclasses would be way to go. I.e. Human Footman, High Elf Footman/Swordsman and Dwarf Footman/whatever would be very similar - probably all have Defend or some variation thereof - but also some different abilities. E.g. Elf would have ability to throw his sword, like a Spellbreaker, or maybe block spells, Dwarf would have a discount weak Avatar, Human would have, I dunno, something.

If you want to go for more heroic classes, I'd suggest something like non-demonic Blood Mage, Ranger from beta, Crusader from Alpha, etc. Stuff kinda established in Warcraft.

Another idea you might consider is craftsmen heroes. Heroes more concerned with making artifacts for Arthas & Jaina (and other heroes) and various non-combat tasks (e.g. repair a bridge).

Yep, if I settle on race/class combinations, then that's how I am going to do it!
But there's the other thing you mentioned too: Warcraft established hero classes. What comes to mind is that a Mountain King is pretty much a dwarf warrior, and then we got the traditional mages and paladin, but what about others?
Would you suggest to use the basic units as hero classes? Or why not?
I just can't decide which way to do it. Both work well.

Also, to be honest, I didn't know there was a Crusader in alpha, and about the craftsman class, I am not sure it fits very well. If I do it, it will be in the later stages of the map development.
For now, I just want to get the basic classes settled.

Level 9
Also, to be honest, I didn't know there was a Crusader in alpha, and about the craftsman class, I am not sure it fits very well. If I do it, it will be in the later stages of the map development.
For now, I just want to get the basic classes settled.

It used the model that later went to the Knight unit.
It could mount and dismount and had Charge when mounted.
Its main abilities were Seals that were basically powerful buffs. One gave fire damage (I think), another gave bonus defense, and third granted special ability or unlocked all upgrades temporarily, something like that.

Level 5
That said, I love the idea of upgrading your class to a better one!
What kind of abilities would you see fit for such classes?
My thoughts for the baseline are as follows:

Warrior: Defend, or another passive damage reduction effect, and some form of AoE damage.
Priest: Heal, the Priest version, and a Holy Shock that deals damage while healing the Priest.
Scout: Something to improve mobility and either a (weak) pet or a long, long range attack.
Mage: Fireball, as a ranged AoE, and some method of recovering mana relatively quickly.
Acolyte: Skeleton Warrior raising and a Drain Life/Mana combination that works on the Skeletons.

The general thinking is that the Warrior soaks up multiple enemies while grinding them down, the Priest heals up damage taken while handling enemies one at a time, the Scout stays out of range and the Mage just nukes away enemies. Meanwhile, the Acolyte, if included, is built to be fully solo playing from the start due to being opposed to the other players and the bulk of the NPC aid. Not quite in the mood to work out another eight to give two second-tier options for each, so you'll have to settle for just my thoughts on the starting point.

I tend to stay away from 'deal X damage to the target' type abilities, like in other RPG's, as a filler ability.
The key, there, is rider effects. Slows, health transfer, stuns, buffs upon use and funky AoE interactions can bring a lot to the table for variety. As can various damage properties, as damage over time and AoE are both quite useful for causing differences in ability behavior.

Thank you for the answers!
Certainly some interesting trivia about the Crusader, sounds similar to the WoW Paladin.

As for the suggested classes, I really have to think it through and see what classes I want and with what abilities, and more importantly, if I want to settle for this. Your suggestions were more than welcome, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.