• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How can I contribute to melee scene in WC3?

Level 2
Hello, lovely community!

I have some questions for you to ask & discuss:

I enjoy competitive melee (1v1, 2v2) and would like to contribute my time\money\efforts to it.
Aside from direct donations to w3champions\hive\streamers\tournaments, I see the next possibilities for improvement:

1. Better visual (SD+) for attracting new people to the community (it's important for streams and young gen).
General visual was already improved thanks to mapmakers, but why don't we have a solid overwhaul SD+ mod? Is it technically hard\no actual demand or what?

2. Mapmaking. Competitive scene is extremely conservative, but ATR mod gives a lot of fun and stays close to the original gameplay.
Is somebody interested in maps with new heroes or minor gameplay variations nowdays?

It's probably stupid questions, but I'd like to figure out where to focus. Please give feedback or share your ideas, everything is welcome.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Hello. Admirable effort I say although we're mostly a custom mapping/modding site. However, that is not to say we don't for instance have a mutiplayer forum: Multiplayer LFG
There's also been some melee mapping (creation) contests here (Arena), some paid, some with the goal of those maps being introduced in semi-competitive and some competitive play.
Some examples:

There's also other sites/means to spur the melee scene: Hive Workshop Cup 3
As well as streamers (although more importantly those that also have a role in ladder like Grubby et al. Wtii is more on the lines of the streamer than the competitive type but he plays lots of melee; Back2Warcraft emphasizes extensively or fully on melee).

It's important to do a sort of study/inquiry. Ask the melee community what they want to see, what they wish for, what interest them. Question various aspects (like melee changes, graphics update etc.). Draw some statistics and work on the most results.

SD+ has a high chance of not happening officially as there's already Reforged and unofficially means a mod-separated from the game which would require everyone to get it and stuff which would make a lot reluctant to do.

The ladder scene could be sensitized to variations in melee gameplay by having known streamers and renowned ladder players delve into this aspect of gameplay by showcasing or even participating in such an Avantgardist movement through contests.

All in all, not sure how much info and help for your endeavour you'll find here since the site's priority or focus isn't melee/ladder, as mentioned in the beginning.

Level 2

@deepstrasz

Thanks for such a complex answer!

For sure I know Hive is about modding and creativity - that's the point why I'm asking here. Melee players don't bother answering forum questions - they are pushing buttons, clicking a mouse, and "expanding natural" just now. And they are interested mostly in game stability, bugfree, tournament prizes etc.

My global goal is to attract new people to play (not only melee) and invest in QoL for the lovely game.
Today's freshmen come from YouTube tournament videos and streams, but conversion is very low.
So I wonder, (if we don't expect a miracle), maybe it is possible to enhance classic visuals a little by sponsoring the next chain: doodads\custom models\title set -> Mapmakers -> HiveCup -> Profit! (beautiful map pool)

I'm not sure about technical aspects and limits of SD graphics and asking for your opinion, maybe I'm just a wet dreamer, but I absolutely like the maps you created here. They added them not long ago, so good moment to push it further.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
So I wonder, (if we don't expect a miracle), maybe it is possible to enhance classic visuals a little by sponsoring the next chain: doodads\custom models\title set -> Mapmakers -> HiveCup -> Profit! (beautiful map pool)
Terrain (+decoration) is definitely the first and easiest thing to digest for ladder players since it's just like getting adapted to a new map (as long as the proper melee terrain gameplay mechanics are in place; some divergence could work but what goes beyond that gets a leg or two in the altered melee realm) compared to having the unit readability changed as well. So, yeah, you could go for that anytime. It's been tried a few times but not very successful yet.

Level 21
Hivecup sounds interesting!

I was always fond of tampering with the idea of Warcraft III+ (it worked for WoW (classic+)).
Why rely on Blizzard to fix/balance/change things?