• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #8 Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we all know, Hero Contest is the only contest (aside from the ones forgotten) that is not always being held. It's been 1 year and 3 months now so I'm going to start a theme discussion for the upcoming Hero Contest.

Here are some of the themes I am proposing:

ThemeDefinition
FuturusticA hero that comes from the future. This might be a hero that specializes on future technologies and science. (Custom model is highly recommended. rips not allowed)
Alien/Space A hero that represents an alien race, like a Zerg Hero, a Martian, anything that you can think of that must be an alien towards the native races of Azeroth.
ElementalA hero that controls a single element and enhances it in anyway(something like Avatar : The Last Airbender)
AssassinA hero that specializes on taking down a single enemy, quickly and silently
SummonerA hero that specializes on controlling multiple units(summons, illusions, duplicate heroes like Meepo from DotA)
ReworkRework one of the Warcraft 3 heroes (for example, giving Blood Mage a new skillset)
SniperA hero that specializes on long range combat, but is weak on melee range
MorphA hero that morphs to it's alternate form, changes some aspects of it like skills, gameplay, etc. that may be different from the original form
DuoA hero that will produce great effects when partnered to another hero.
PromotionTurn a normal unit into a hero, give it a spotlight! :D
SteampunkA hero that is comprised of machinery
DeityA hero that represents a god of any mythologies
ProtectorA hero that specializes on protecting others or being the protection itself
StackingA hero that specializes in placing debuffs that gets stronger each stack. Example, Dota's Bristleback or Batrider.
ElusiveA hero that is hard to catch. Mainly focuses on mobility, escapes, hiding, etc.
ChaoticA hero that focuses on randomness, this could be relying on chances or luck.
AlchemistA hero that creates reactions depending on abilities casted.
Suggestions for other themes are open and may be included to the list.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well well well... Looks like it truly is the early bird who gets the worm.

I've been pining & planning for the next Hero Contest for months now; ever since the successful (*toots own horn*) last Hero Contest, I was really excited to host again (& especially to enter again). Even while I was insanely busy these last few weeks/months, I was excited (even have a few drafts).

However, while I wanted to be the one to suggest it, I didn't have time to compete in it then, so I waited, crossing my fingers I'd still be the first to suggest it when I got less busy. And, welp... It happens. : ) No hard feelings, Almia.

~~~

As submission threads go, this is going pretty well; I'm a big believer in the "brainstorm" concept of "accept all ideas, then weed them out later". However, methinks your extensive Zephyr Contest experience is showing through, Almia; many of these categories really seem more well-suited to individual spells than entire Heroes, and some are much too restrictive. To wit (for future reference, shall we consider that a hero's Role is essentially determined by their abilities? The attributes give only broad strokes; a STR hero can be a tank (Crypt Lord) or a warrior (Paladin), or even a 'caster' of sorts (Dreadlord). It's only in the abilities that "what they do" can really be fleshed out.):
  • With the Morph theme, is that fulfilled if our entry contains even (a minimum of) 1 "morphing" spell, or does the Hero as a whole have to be somehow based upon a transformation (i.e. a Werewolf, or a Changeling, or a Jekyll/Hyde guy)? Because if it's the former, that means (for comparison), in-game Heroes like the Mountain King, Demon Hunter, Pandaren Brewmaster, Tinker, Alchemist, (Blademaster), (Crypt Lord) are all "Morph" heroes; intentional?
  • Similarly (but slightly different), with Protector and Summoner choices, how many abilities make a Hero a "protector" or "summoner"? Is 1 enough, or do you have to go ridiculously all-out (i.e. Beastmaster with 3 of 4 abilities being summons (bleh))? Or that the "overall feel" (warning: subjective) of the Hero is that of a "protector" or "summoner" (so no "Elvish Sorcerer -> Protector" (except then you cut out the kind of creativity that would go into designing a "protective" Elvish Sorcerer"))?
  • For "diety", are we talking "normal real-life gods" (zeus, anubis, odin, etc) or like the recent Techtree Contest, "any mythology: heck, pretty much any made-up thing, fictional or otherwise"?
  • Rework I am a yuuuuuge fan of (no surprise), but this tiny blurb does not begin to approach (much less answer) the complexity of the subject. Are we simply changing the Hero's abilities, keeping the name/model/icons/etc so as to 'reinvent the wheel' (i.e. "make an Alliance Elven Blood Mage, ignoring the existing Blood Mage setup")? Or are we changing how they look (Theme), or how they act (Role), or both? If so, what constraints will there be; what has to stay the same (something should, otherwise it's essentially just a "Make whatever Hero you want" Contest)?
    Personally, I'm a massive fan (as previously linked) of a "Rework" Contest where the goal is to create the most interestingly-diverse Hero from an in-game Hero of your choice, where the constraints are that you have to start from the pre-existing abilities (and no coding). Change everything you want (Theme/Role: name, model, icon, attributes, race, attack type; spell icons, names, functions, stats...), but you have to keep (for example) some modified form of Flamestrike, Siphon Magic, Banish, and Phoenix on your modified Blood Mage. Believe me, it can be awexome.
  • Promotion is also something I'm a big fan of (biggest un-surprise of all, and unlike some people I'm A-OK with repeating past Contest suggestions if they are cool/popular enough (and not just because it was my idea, I swear! :p). No questions here, just wanted to say.

~~~

And that doesn't even get into the issue of "how the Contest should be run" (which perhaps you were going to figure out later): basic stuff like "imports" (all/limited/none), "style/format" (standard melee/DotA/hero arena/etc), etc. I know I'm personally a huge fan of "standard melee/in-game" style Heroes (LADDER OR B UST! :p), and limited/no imports; and there's lots of pros & cons either way.

And speaking of style, can I suggest something crazy?... We've bandied it about for years now, but what about a Joint/Teamwork Contest, Artist & Coder joined together in righteous awexomeness to produce a kick-awexome joint Hero entry? Wc3C.net's Contests of that nature were some of the most fun this side of 4chan, and I have been itching to spearhead one of those. If we do, I would highly suggest we simplify things and have sort of a generic "non-Theme" (i.e. "just make a Hero to fit in the Tavern/racial Altars/underused Warcraft race"); in my experience, doing a big Joint-thing can be complex enough.

Anyway, I'll probably vote as soon as some of the aforementioned issues get resolved/clarified, but I'm down for a Hero Contest, one way or another. Just wish I had gotten 'on that ball' faster.

[*]For "diety", are we talking "normal real-life gods" (zeus, anubis, odin, etc) or like the recent Techtree Contest, "any mythology: heck, pretty much any made-up thing, fictional or otherwise"?

That'd would very good if it's allowed to create fictional deities. Because if it is,some of you might already know what I will create
Cthulhu of course! But an improved version from the techtree contest one.

With the Morph theme, is that fulfilled if our entry contains even (a minimum of) 1 "morphing" spell, or does the Hero as a whole have to be somehow based upon a transformation (i.e. a Werewolf, or a Changeling, or a Jekyll/Hyde guy)? Because if it's the former, that means (for comparison), in-game Heroes like the Mountain King, Demon Hunter, Pandaren Brewmaster, Tinker, Alchemist, (Blademaster), (Crypt Lord) are all "Morph" heroes; intentional?
Hero will be strictly going to have 1 morph ability and then 3 or 6 other abilities. The theme is ambiguous, so I think I'll remove it from the list
Similarly (but slightly different), with Protector and Summoner choices, how many abilities make a Hero a "protector" or "summoner"? Is 1 enough, or do you have to go ridiculously all-out (i.e. Beastmaster with 3 of 4 abilities being summons (bleh))? Or that the "overall feel" (warning: subjective) of the Hero is that of a "protector" or "summoner" (so no "Elvish Sorcerer -> Protector" (except then you cut out the kind of creativity that would go into designing a "protective" Elvish Sorcerer"))?
As stated, "Protector" will be either provide a "shield" on others or becomes the "shield" itself. Contestants are going to think how they will protect others.

Summoner are just going to summon, yes, but their summons isn't actually stricted to "cast then make a unit come out" spells. What my intention was to create a hero with unique summonings, just like the Zephyr contest

Rework I am a yuuuuuge fan of (no surprise), but this tiny blurb does not begin to approach (much less answer) the complexity of the subject. Are we simply changing the Hero's abilities, keeping the name/model/icons/etc so as to 'reinvent the wheel' (i.e. "make an Alliance Elven Blood Mage, ignoring the existing Blood Mage setup")? Or are we changing how they look (Theme), or how they act (Role), or both? If so, what constraints will there be; what has to stay the same (something should, otherwise it's essentially just a "Make whatever Hero you want" Contest)?
The rework still need to stick on their original heroes. for example, Blood Mage's Phoenix can be actually reworked into an ability just like HotS' Kael'thas' Phoenix

Meanwhile, Promotion wants the contestants to promote a unit, while retaining what they are known for. e.g. if your hero is a Spirit Walker, you should either retain the Corporeal form or rework it into an ability that resembles one.

And speaking of style, can I suggest something crazy?... We've bandied it about for years now, but what about a Joint/Teamwork Contest, Artist & Coder joined together in righteous awexomeness to produce a kick-awexome joint Hero entry? Wc3C.net's Contests of that nature were some of the most fun this side of 4chan, and I have been itching to spearhead one of those. If we do, I would highly suggest we simplify things and have sort of a generic "non-Theme" (i.e. "just make a Hero to fit in the Tavern/racial Altars/underused Warcraft race"); in my experience, doing a big Joint-thing can be complex enough.

This is good tho Hero Contest has always been a spellpack contest (source : Pharaoh_) and most of us have different styles of programming.

Thanks for the feedback Kyrbi0 :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Hero will be strictly going to have 1 morph ability and then 3 or 6 other abilities. The theme is ambiguous, so I think I'll remove it from the list
Fair enough, though I wasn't (necessarily) calling for it's removal. Ifthis one's ambiguous, though, I wonder about the next few...

Almia said:
As stated, "Protector" will be either provide a "shield" on others or becomes the "shield" itself. Contestants are going to think how they will protect others.

Summoner are just going to summon, yes, but their summons isn't actually stricted to "cast then make a unit come out" spells. What my intention was to create a hero with unique summonings, just like the Zephyr contest
Sure, sure. Ingenuity of summons or creativity in interpreting "protection" is part of the point, but I think you're missing my point: "How does one objectively define a "protective"/"summoner" Hero?", since that definition will be of paramount importance in the final Judging, right? (i.e. "hey, that's no protective Hero! 0/20!" "no wait, it really is, see..", etc)

(If we agree that a Hero's "Role" (function/mechanics/style/etc) is essentially based on it's skillset), Is such a Contest Theme (protector/summoner) sufficiently adhered to if the Hero has even just one "protective/summoning" ability? What's the line (and their needs to be a line)? (If we accept "one" as the line, then (e.g. for "Morph") necessarily that means all the standard/melee Heroes in my first big post are all "Morph" Heroes & would be appropriate for this Contest; if you agree with the list, no problem. If not, then the definition should be adjusted.

Almia said:
The rework still need to stick on their original heroes. for example, Blood Mage's Phoenix can be actually reworked into an ability just like HotS' Kael'thas' Phoenix
Hm... That doesn't quite answer the whole question(s), but it tells me one thing: that you would expect the users to users to simply incorporate the thematic/visual/conceptual elements of the chosen Hero's abilities into the new abilities (for the same Hero?), rather than being stuck with re-creating it ((had to look up HotS Kael...) So it would be fine, for example, to take the standard Blood Mage's 'Phoenix' ultimate (a simple "summon" who flies, deals loads of AoE damage, & self-resurrects indefinitely) and turn it into the HotS 'Phoenix' ultimate (basically a Line AoE); maintain the same visual/conceptual bit, but completely changing the mechanics/role/function of the spell). Am I understanding you right?

If that's so, I probably won't be voting for it, since I'm not a huge fan of trying to re-create perfection (lol, I know Blizzard & it's Hero's aren't really perfect, but they're pretty darn good)... Ok, who am I kidding, I love to do that. Still, I prefer my version... But I'd honestly rather have it as it's own entity, it's own Contest. Alright, fine, I'll probably vote for that, too.

Almia said:
Meanwhile, Promotion wants the contestants to promote a unit, while retaining what they are known for. e.g. if your hero is a Spirit Walker, you should either retain the Corporeal form or rework it into an ability that resembles one.
Sounds like we agree on the basics, though I wouldn't mind quibbling the specifics (we'll use your example): I would argue that the user wouldn't necessarily be shackled to including Corporeal/Ethereal Form; perhaps to someone else, Spirit Walkers are more known for their Spirit Link, or Disenchant, or the fact that they are "caster" Tauren. I think that as long as the "Promoted " is built as a Hero that in some way resembles the original Unit (either some thematic/visual/conceptual aspect of it, or some functional/mechanic/ability-based aspect of it, or both), it should not be a problem (and for anyone that diverges too much, well... That's what Criteria & Judging are for. The punishment of "not following Contest Rules precisely enough" should be a natural one of "they don't do well in that part of the Judging", not an artificial "I'm the Contest Host & I decided your entry isn't quite right, so your disqualified", for example. : ) Though I'm sure you'd never do that... :p)

The Spirit Walker is actually a pretty good choice; lots of fertile creative ground there.

Almia said:
This is good tho Hero Contest has always been a spellpack contest (source : Pharaoh_) ...
Pharaoh did an awful lot for this community, providing many, many hours of service. However, I don't think I'll surprise anyone by saying I don't have an awful lot of respect for his opinions, methods & manners in regards to creating/Hosting Contests, especially Hero/Techtree Contests. So I'm not surprised he would say/think that.

No matter who said it, I will quite flatly argue that that is a remarkably incomplete view of Hero design, and a bit sad. Even a simple check of the Criteria in a given Hero Contest will tell you that if you did just that, you might be able to get some good marks on "creativity" and maybe something on "Theme" and "Role"... But for "Balance" and "Fits in the Game" and all that other stuff, insufficient.

Thing is, a Hero isn't just a bundle of disparate spells; ignoring all the crazy Object Editor work that goes into a well-crafted Hero (attributes, names, etc) and the work that goes into providing a testing environment, the spells all have to go together in some very specific & interesting ways. They can't just be "cool" in isolation, they have to be cool in isolation, cool together, and cool together on that Hero (and, potentially, cool together on that Hero in that faction, and in the game as a whole). It's part of what I love about Hero design; a great Hero design tells a story.

Almia said:
...and most of us have different styles of programming.
I don't know if I get how this relates to having a Joint Contest... The Coder can just do their job as normal, whatever language (or not-language) they like, right? The Artist who joins them can (within the guidelines) make whatever art assets (model/icon/texture/sfx/etc) they like, whatever method (digital/physical/etc) they like, also.

Maybe I should post up that draft I had worked up a while back... Though I don't necessarily want to compete with yours. ; )

Almia said:
Thanks for the feedback Kyrbi0 :)
You are welcome; thanks for taking it & responding to it more completely than most do. I always wish people would come to my topics with a lot of questions & comments, so I try to give to others what I wish to see myself. : )

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Heinvers said:
At least pass the ball to Kyrbi.
Lololol.

Yes I can :)
You can (and I'll gladly take it), but I'm just as likely to scratch it all and submit a "Joint Hero Contest"... I'm itchin' for it & I think the time is right. :p

Also, what's all this about "X days till inactivity"??

I would like Futuristic/Alien, but it would be pretty hard since the majority of futuristic models is either starcraft or just altered marine models.
Yeah, it would be pretty difficult. I'm not sure what that one's about.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
What's a Joint Hero Contest? The time is right indeed, I'll probably join if I like the theme.

Damn a joint hero contest would be really nice. Always wondered why we never had one of these.

Well, believe me, I'm all for it. If we have enough people behind it, I think it could really be awexome. : ) Any other takers?

Level 18
Wow many suggestions. (I love Steampunk things, though never made a hero of this theme before).
Edit: a paired Hero contest. Oh my f"$g world, with that set up I would love to model some things and band together with a codder. Great opportinuty IMO.

Idea: we could have 2 consecutive polls to sort out the many themes. First poll a multiple choise one, second poll single choosing voting the 3 most popular themes of the previous poll.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Edit: a paired Hero contest. Oh my f"$g world, with that set up I would love to model some things and band together with a codder. Great opportinuty IMO.
I'm glad you think so; I'm very much excited for the possibilities. In fact, I'm drafting up the Contest thread right now; we'll see how it looks/pans out. : )

Astaroth Zion said:
Idea: we could have 2 consecutive polls to sort out the many themes. First poll a multiple choise one, second poll single choosing voting the 3 most popular themes of the previous poll.
That's not a bad idea, and definitely gives a lot of power to the users. I like building consensus, but I have also learned it's a tricky thing to balance along with 'timeliness'; that is to say, we could wait an awful long time to get a full & reasonable opinion from every potential entrant, or argue endlessly the inclusion/exclusion of topics, and the Contest would never start. Sometimes it takes initiative and "alright, here's a Contest; let's go!", I've found.

But balance in all things. : )

Level 18
That's not a bad idea, and definitely gives a lot of power to the users. I like building consensus, but I have also learned it's a tricky thing to balance along with 'timeliness'; that is to say, we could wait an awful long time to get a full & reasonable opinion from every potential entrant, or argue endlessly the inclusion/exclusion of topics, and the Contest would never start. Sometimes it takes initiative and "alright, here's a Contest; let's go!", I've found.

But balance in all things. : )
My suggestion to avoid over-extending the theme selection would be to:
  • Anounce to the duration and end dates of both polls before hand.
  • Make the 1st poll (Multiple Choice) with a normal lenght duration. (maybe remove a few days from it)
  • Create the 2nd poll inmidiatly after the other ends (Single Choice) and very short duration (<5 days for example)

My reasoning here is that the people that participate on the second poll are the ones realy interested, eager to participate and willing to start at once, so they should be the group that ultimately decide the theme.

PS: I am working on my PM-response right now.

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

that sounds interesting.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
At least pass the ball to Kyrbi.
Yes I can :)

this is just a theme discussion thread
What's a Joint Hero Contest? The time is right indeed, I'll probably join if I like the theme.
Damn a joint hero contest would be really nice. Always wondered why we never had one of these.
a paired Hero contest. Oh my f"$g world, with that set up I would love to model some things and band together with a codder. Great opportinuty IMO.
that sounds interesting.
Thus it has been spoken. Let's get this thing going!

Status
Not open for further replies.