• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #10 Discussion

Themes for the contest

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Looking at the contest list I came across the fact that the last Hero Contest was a long time ago, more precisely between 2017 and 2018. I wasn't even registered here on that date.

Maybe it's time to discuss and prepare a new one. I've a pair of ideas that can be considered and I'll also take the highest voted ones from this old poll, but feel free to add more.

• Hive-Only: Create a Hero based off an extant custom model that is available on the Hive.
  • Summons: Create a Hero that can summon others to fight for him, or a Hero that is itself a summoned sort of creature.
  • Melee: A Hero that attacks from melee range.
  • Assassin: Create a Hero focused on taking down key targets.
  • Elemental: Create a Hero with an affinity for the elements.
  • Siege: A Hero who revolves around dealing with structures.
  • Mythological God: Create the personification of a mythological god of your choice (Thor, Zeus, Anubis...).
  • Reimagine: Take one of the Heroes of the game and recreate it with your own ideas.

Level 11
I would enjoy to try (even if not getting to far) any of these, a Hero contest looks like a great idea. I haven't seen any of them yet, is the modeling/texturing a must, or it can be enough with the idea and the coding stuff?
Anyway, you got my attention, all of these ideas have a lot of potential already

Level 27
I would enjoy to try (even if not getting to far) any of these, a Hero contest looks like a great idea. I haven't seen any of them yet, is the modeling/texturing a must, or it can be enough with the idea and the coding stuff?
Anyway, you got my attention, all of these ideas have a lot of potential already

Well I don't know, the idea seemed better in my head but a month has passed and this is still inactive. Maybe I should have added a poll.

Now about the contest, I think it would be enough with coding.

EDIT:

Added a poll to the thread.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Hero Contests originally were always more about the design/coding than about any of the aesthetics. Whether they required in-game models or pulled from the community's database of custom assets, they didn't allow for fresh-made, custom-designed assets for the Contest (with some small exceptions, like adding Hero Glow to a custom 'unit' model or modifying an icon to make it Passive, etc).

With the advent of Team Hero Contests, where a Coder/Designer and an Artist could team up, exciting new possibilities were opened. Believe me, I'm a huge fan of those as well! However, I fear in the intervening years people have forgotten our Hero Contest roots, and I have to remind them that it's perfectly acceptable to hold a Hero Contest without all that. In fact, that was my plan for starting up the 10th Hero Contest (whenever I got around to it....................:<.........................).

Status
Not open for further replies.