• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HD Terraining Contest #1 - POLL

Which contestant should win the contest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
hive-logo-small-remoosed-png.373032

hd-png.376391
terraining-png.373692

contest-png.373719
png.373678
1-png.373674

poll-png.373718

contest-theme-2-png.421545

Contestants must create a scene depicting a place of cultist worship. E.g. a place used for dark rituals, gatherings, summonings etc.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
    If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
    A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus by 5%.
  • Participating in the poll does not explicitly safe one from being disqualified.
  • Judges are not allowed to vote.
You are very welcome to make a short statement what you like the most, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • Entry: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 25 experience points per entrant
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_entries-png.311509

CONTESTANTWIPENTRY

Sapprine

WIP 1 | WIP 2

JnM

WIP 1 | WIP 2

FeelsGoodMan

WIP 1 | WIP 2

CustomCreations

WIP 1 | WIP 2

Le Shaysonio

WIP 1

BranaR

WIP 1

Shayoo

WIP 1 | WIP 2

other_contest_judging-png.311506

AestheticsOverall appearance of the final entry as a whole, e.g. an entry can lack detail and technique but still have an overall nice composition./35

Creativity
How unique and original is the idea? How inventive is the execution? How creatively does it conform to the contest theme?/30

Detail
Measurement and balance of detail in design. Impurities include rough edges, deficiency in execution, and general disorder./35
/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)​

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The poll shall begin on Mar 29 2023 and conclude on Apr 12, 2023 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: @Archian

Contest | Results

Last edited:
Level 21
  1. Sapprine - The Necropolis is watching in the middle of some occult ritual. Some good details (poison flowing through windows). Also liking the camera angle.
  2. JnM - Hard to tell what's going on. Lack of dramatic camera/focus. Looks more like a catastrophic event than cultic ritual (post ritual probably).
  3. Feelsgoodman - Evil rite in the forest with nice details. This is just well done!
  4. CustomCreations - The dungeon holds grim secrets, just the fog seems a bit too dense.
  5. Le Shaysonio - What secrets does the Naga statue hold? Maybe a bit too dark, or a different camera angle might've been better.
  6. BranaR - Almost looks like a prelude to Feelsgoodman's entry. Good details, no dramatic focus sadly.
  7. Shayoo - Underground summoning. Very distant camera, but nice details. Maybe a bit too much going on in the center in contrast to the enlarged doodads on the side. Mainly the two very large pillars on the left seem distracting. I think making them darker would already to the trick!
Just my two cents, maybe it helps someone.

Level 7
Well, since @Alan_ didn't submit his entry I was hoping maybe he'd be willing to judge this contest. Maybe even @Celaquil wants to come out of the lurking shadows and step up as a judge.

EDIT: Also two suggestions are @PrinceYaser and @Strydhaizer.
my english language very bad sometimes, thats why im dont wanna judge, but anyway, its 70/30 with u and @BranaR, your creation in the form of a combination of bones, roots and fire won this competition. if you remove this, then you get exactly the same work as Branar, but anyway this two works are very good. while guys like you create landscapes, there is a desire to go in and admire them. very good job mate, its #1 place for you.

about other works i cant say something. the game is already 20+ years old, but the landscapes were made at the level of 2010. sorry if i offended anyone

my english language very bad sometimes, thats why im dont wanna judge, but anyway, its 70/30 with u and @BranaR, your creation in the form of a combination of bones, roots and fire won this competition. if you remove this, then you get exactly the same work as Branar, but anyway this two works are very good. while guys like you create landscapes, there is a desire to go in and admire them. very good job mate, its #1 place for you.

about other works i cant say something. the game is already 20+ years old, but the landscapes were made at the level of 2010. sorry if i offended anyone
Ah, I'm sure the arena staff would allow you to write the judging in your native language, and then the arena staff finds someone to translate it.

Thanks for the kind words though!

@Archian Can you be judge if we don't find anyone else? You haven't submitted an entry, so if you're able to remove your poll vote then I guess you're eligible to be a judge?

Level 13
  1. Sapprine - The Necropolis is watching in the middle of some occult ritual. Some good details (poison flowing through windows). Also liking the camera angle.
  2. JnM - Hard to tell what's going on. Lack of dramatic camera/focus. Looks more like a catastrophic event than cultic ritual (post ritual probably).
  3. Feelsgoodman - Evil rite in the forest with nice details. This is just well done!
  4. CustomCreations - The dungeon holds grim secrets, just the fog seems a bit too dense.
  5. Le Shaysonio - What secrets does the Naga statue hold? Maybe a bit too dark, or a different camera angle might've been better.
  6. BranaR - Almost looks like a prelude to Feelsgoodman's entry. Good details, no dramatic focus sadly.
  7. Shayoo - Underground summoning. Very distant camera, but nice details. Maybe a bit too much going on in the center in contrast to the enlarged doodads on the side. Mainly the two very large pillars on the left seem distracting. I think making them darker would already to the trick!
Just my two cents, maybe it helps someone.

Thanks for the feedback!

In fact, this was the idea - to show the "working days" of the cultists.
Someone gives his soul to the spirit of the dark forest, so that that huge liana would grow. Someone is watching to make sure his cultist brother doesn't escape.
Someone is refilling the magic lantern, for further rituals...)

I generally think that the official HD assets are confusingly executed and doesn't like (most of) the style(s) they are in. I look at this mostly through the eyes of photography/art rather than game. Many interesting contributions, good job!
Here is my random feedback:
  1. Sapprine: Good in general with many interesting elements that covers most of the screen. Nothing is too bland or distracting. It doesn't really have a good composition or "center piece" though, I guess the green center beam or necropolis is the "focus", but it is a bit unclear. But as I started, pretty interesting and I like the difference of scale that exists.
  2. JnM: I guess the "focus" is the tiny circle thing in the town, but nothing is really that interesting except for the statue in the back and that circle. The general terrain isn't very interesting and there is a lot of it.
  3. FeelsGoodMan: Excellent composition with a clear center-piece that takes the focus (in a good way) and good "supporting" elements that you can linger on after the "initial watch". The far bottom right corner is a bit "boring" and could probably be used some other way, but that's my main criticism.
  4. CustomCreations: I kind of like it, although there is a lot of floor, roof and wall-space. The wall-pillars are pretty good, but with very little else going on, it can't really carry it. The purple-demon-altar-thing is what I'd call the focus, but it's pretty small. The fog-effect doesn't really look good covering so big area of the composition.
  5. Le Shaysonio: It Does have a clear center piece and supporting cultism going on, but the green fog on this scale is distracting. The runes and fires are pretty good, I feel like the angle this shot is taken from doesn't favour it. The general surrounding is fairly "vanilla" terraining.
  6. BranaR: It has interesting terrain and general vibe. The cultists are doing random cultisty stuff and the surroundings is good quality and interesting. It kind of lack a focus/center piece imo. The closest to that would be the green banshee or the opening in the background, but not really. It doesn't have to be too flashy, but I think it could improve the composition.
  7. Shayoo: Interesting terrain and far from vanilla WC3 (good thing), but the composition imo doesn't feel "grand" or "focused" but rather messy I guess. Would probably be improved by another angle? The buildings on the left isn't too interesting and takes like 25% of the screen, and the stuff further to right than the pillar is also uninteresting. I think that the most interesting stuff is Medivh, the demons and the stuff close to the center, spaning like 15-20% of the screen.

Well, since @Alan_ didn't submit his entry I was hoping maybe he'd be willing to judge this contest. Maybe even @Celaquil wants to come out of the lurking shadows and step up as a judge.

EDIT: Also two suggestions are @PrinceYaser and @Strydhaizer.
Good to have the judges, because I didn't have the time to do it.

Good luck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.