• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

✅ HD Terraining Contest #2 - POLL

VOTE FOR THE BEST TERRAIN

• FeelsGoodMan

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Sapprine

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • vindorei

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • Celaquil

Votes: 12 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
hive-logo-small-remoosed-png.373032

hd-png.376391
terraining-png.373692
contest-png.373719
png.373678
1692215065966-png.444828

poll-png.373718

hdterrainvampire-png.444829

Guidelines: Participants were tasked with designing a scene showcasing an HD environment that captures the essence of vampire folklore, with for instance: eerie landscapes, ancient castles, mist-shrouded forests, and chilling crypts etc. SD models were allowed, but shouldn't stand out too much. Entrants were encouraged to incorporate elements such as but not limited to:
  • Landscape: Craft an immersive terrain that portrays the brooding landscapes where vampires dwell. From desolate moors to ominous mountains, let your imagination run wild.
  • Architecture: Create grandiose vampire castles with Gothic-inspired architecture, secret chambers, and eerie catacombs that tell tales of centuries-long undead existence.
  • Ambiance: Utilize terrain textures, lighting, and effects to evoke an atmosphere of perpetual dusk and enchanting moonlit nights.
  • Details: Pay attention to intricate details that breathe life into your terrain – from cobweb-covered corners to cryptic symbols etched into stone.

other_entries-png.311509

CONTESTANTENTRY

FeelsGoodMan

Sapprine

vindorei

Celaquil

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
    If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
    A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus by 5%.
  • Participating in the poll does not explicitly safe one from being disqualified.
  • Judges are not allowed to vote.
You are very welcome to make a short statement what you like the most, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • Entry: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 25 experience points per entrant
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

• If no judges are found (at least two is required) before the deadline, the winners will be decided by the votes of a public poll. The poll results will be hidden until a person has voted. Changing your vote afterwards will not be possible.

other_contest_judging-png.311506

AestheticsOverall appearance of the final entry as a whole, e.g. an entry can lack detail and technique but still have an overall nice composition./35

Creativity
How unique and original is the idea? How inventive is the execution? How creatively does it conform to the contest theme?/30

Detail
Measurement and balance of detail in design. Impurities include rough edges, deficiency in execution, and general disorder./35
/100

• Judgement: 60%
  • Poll: 40%
FinalScore = (40*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (60*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)​

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The poll shall begin on November 1, 2023 and conclude on November 14, 2023 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: @Archian

Contest | Results

Last edited:
damn, the complexity and scale of @Celaquil is super impressive. daaaaaaaaaamn wp

@vindorei love the story telling aspect of your terrain, very Castlevania!
@FeelsGoodMan the mirror reflection is FREAKING genius, surprised no one has done anything similar in the psat. it works soo well!
@Sapprine I love how you went away from the red and gore and black of the normal vampire archetype theme. it brings forward the mystery and gloom effect a lot more due to that. kudos.

Level 36
So proud of you all!

I'm really happy I participated, even though I nearly didn't.

My vote goes to @FeelsGoodMan (did I do it right?), I just absolutely adore the atmosphere and creativity of that terrain, and I am more than a little envious of the brilliant execution and creativity involved in its conception. The dutch angle, the lighting from the window in perfect contrast to the darker room, the mirror idea, all just perfectly blends together into a lovely scene, especially after you updated it.

A detail I particularly like is the way the light seems to glisten off of the drapes on the bed, the effect is absolutely beautiful.

The only change I would've personally made would be to weed the webs in the foreground just a smidgeon, right now they seem just a tad bit cluttery, but that's a minor detail and almost not worth mentioning.

Either way, bravo gents! Have a cigar.

Last edited:
Effort and thought is seen in all the terrain, but I like open types less, because in terms of drama the smaller scenery looks deeper for me: fullness of decorations, their precise position, creativity put into details, all this enhances the ambience of a small space; and details such as bowls of blood, a body suspended in the air, the absence of a reflection in the mirror are pleasantly impressive, a real icing on the cake.

Thus, the stories shown by @vindorei and @FeelsGoodMan exceited me more. It will be difficult for me to choose between you!
But I wish everyone good luck. Thanks for your efforts!

P.S. The video is amazing, I always enjoy watching them 👏

Level 21
I feel Vindorei's entry is the most classically appealing one, whereas Feelsgoodman the most creative. Hard choice!
Sapprine's angle seems off to me, too much rocky nature - you wouldn't guess it's about vampires (but skillfully made).
Celaquil's works well, if a little messy. Effective way of showing a grim dawn is rising and with it nothing good for the living =).

I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass here, but this contest started on the 16th of August, more than 5 months ago. The poll concluded more than 1 month ago. Way too long for a contest, and at this point I feel indifferent to winning or losing, I just want a conclusion.

Also since there are no judges I am guessing the contest will be decided entirely by votes, which I'm not a huge fan of. Not because it will make me lose, but because judges are more unbiased than voters. I'm not saying it has happened here, and I'm in no way pointing fingers, but historically people tend to vote for their friends and/or known people in contests. Judges helps mitigate the friend votes. In addition to that, the participants receive constructive criticism and feedback on their entries from the judges. The only reason I'm bringing this up in this poll is because this is the first time a contest will be concluded without having any judges.