• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gods and Empires- CITY building/RTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Timed better, Idea from Age of Mythology I guess :gg: love that game, don't tripple/double/quatro post please, use the EDIT button.

SO timed it will be, Age of Mythology is a great game indeed! That and other rts and city building games that I played like the ANNO series,Black&White2,Battle for Middle Earth etc. has been very influential in the creation of this map. Quoting other people's post count as 1 post? I'm not aware of it so apologies for multiple posting..

Contrary to previous announcement with regards to the release of a teaser/demo map, a video demo of the gameplay would be released instead as per recommendation of Grey Nightmare..

UPDATE!UPDATE!
•I reformatted the first post, I organized the updates such that details on different aspects of the game would be divided into parts..PLEASE DO TAKE TIME TO READ THEM..
•Screen shot:eek:verview map of the terrain

Level 18
I got an idea!
It's called city looks.The people get + or - to happynes.Like if you want + you build flowers,statues and fountains and if you want to make them obey your evil rule you make them scared by building Cauldron with heads,Chain Posts,Cages,Heads on spears,IronMaidens (no not the band) and torture tables.

Level 9
I got an idea!
It's called city looks.The people get + or - to happynes.Like if you want + you build flowers,statues and fountains and if you want to make them obey your evil rule you make them scared by building Cauldron with heads,Chain Posts,Cages,Heads on spears,IronMaidens (no not the band) and torture tables.

Nice..I was actually thinking of ways on how the decorative things that peasants build would affect the game..Initially I thought it would add up to the City's Impressiveness rating(see first post for details) but then it can easily be abused since these things costs less gold. I would make it affect the happiness rating instead.

Level 9
Ok also the - could be used to scare the peasents from revolving,usefullfor evil players :infl_thumbs_up:

Tyranny yikes hehe..Any more ideas with regards to the unit types? Grey Nightmare and I are actually starting to make the tech tree for the first faction, The EMPIRE(tentative name), they specialize in science and technology stuff..I was thinking, steampunk-renaissance style..mechanical golems, steam tanks, gyro copters,things like that..I thought of making them look like Leonardo Da Vinci's sketches of war machines..e.g oversized ballista..just my thoughts, feel free to suggest your own..

Level 18
Oh oh Idea!

The Chosen Ones:
When they're born some kids recive a gift from the god of science and technology,they're gifted an unhuman intelligence but they turn green stay short and have pointy ears and hoses :D they can also create shreders zeppelins tanks and they're not afraid to die (sappers)

Level 18
Advanced -> See whole map or entire map I dont know how its spelled in english.

@Panga: I worked on my map a lot this morning, I think beta release won't be too late to come. Why ? are you interested ? :)
I posted terrain screenshots (but I dont like the way I made it, and it is not ended yet >.>).

Last edited:
Level 20
Please, no classic Wc3 units, put some

U N I Q U E

units and generally imported stuff. Sick of seeing classic wc3 things...

LoL

Do you mean classic models or when people just slap a static grunt in? No health change etc?

If its the first then well... you might be dissapointed even with the 8mb limit a map that size would take way to long to dl on BNet

{EDIT}
:grin:Of course :)

I know pangahas has already been looking for custom imports so we can expect to see a fair few in the final release!

And we will most certainly not be putting any 'vanilla' wc3 units into it, thanks for the input!

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 9
Please, no classic Wc3 units, put some

U N I Q U E

units and generally imported stuff. Sick of seeing classic wc3 things...

Grey Nightmare and I are currently working on the possible units and tech tree of the first faction which is tentatively named THE EMPIRE..We're also trying to finalize the Gods' background story etc. The map will be based off the MYTHOLOGY that the 2 of us are currently working on, so usage of generic WC3 units would definitely be little to none. As for the custom models, the amount of it is yet to be determined, definitely there would be but not to the point of reaching the limit of 8mb.

Level 18
This is the problem: with "classical" models the map dosen't have a too high size and is still playable on bnet but some players will find that basical. But with too many models map is unplayable on battle.net. Mappers have to find the middle.

Level 9
This is the problem: with "classical" models the map dosen't have a too high size and is still playable on bnet but some players will find that basical. But with too many models map is unplayable on battle.net. Mappers have to find the middle.

I agree..but most probably most of the temples and the GODS themselves along with some unique units would be using custom models..One of the reasons why i did not use many custom models for the doodads/terraining part is because I was allocating the imports for the units..

Level 18
This is why I use a very low number of imported models (even if some people say 'this is a lack of originality' or things like that).

Level 19
I think we should cap it at 4mb at the very most as even this can take a good 5-10mins dl on BNet and lets face it... It's not a paitent community. :(

Speed does not only depend of filesize... The map can be 1 mb and you can download it for 15 minutes...

Edit: Im sorry guise, but we have to hold on the new disasters I was ask to make, because I was realy busy in the last 2-3 days. So probably Im going to start making it tommorow (probably), of course if nothing comes out.

Level 9
Schools and universities could be where the upgrades and improvements can be researched..
ANNOUNCEMENT:
TEASER VIDEO READY FOR VIEWING ON FIRST POST

Last edited:
Level 20
ANNOUNCEMENT: FACTIONS

Me and Pangahas have been discussing some very important gameplay factors and have decided, currently. Though, nothing is set in stone that we will actually only have 3 'races or civilizations'

One that specializes in technology and advancement, expect gunpowder and machinery.

One that specializes in belief, loyalty and faithful subjects, expect to see bonuses to faith development and a lack of rebellions/conversions.

One that is completely obsessed with war, think of spartans and how they were 'bred' for war from a young age... they will most likely have access to many elite military units and all units will have bonuses in combat, giving them the upperhand.

EACH 'CIVILIZATION' WOULD THEN HAVE 3 SUBFACTIONS

Which as well as their parent bonuses would get more specific bonuses towards a certain type of military unit or the ability to access a certain tech research.

Finally there will be at least 10 gods and each 'CIVILIZATION' will have the choice of at least 5, some will be specific to a civ and others will cross on 2 or perhaps all 3.

Our aim is to provide a huge array of strategic varation and an endless degree of replayability, we may add more civs, gods and subfactions as the project goes by, before or after release.

None of this is by any means finalized and is subject to change as the project goes on, any feedback, queries or suggestions are, as always, most welcome!

Level 20
My suggestion:
Don't put up too much, just release a ver, check bugs/imbalance/what ppl like e.t.c. and then you'll know what to add/modify/replace/remove.

:thumbs_up: Cheers for that advice!

Yes we would love to release a version and get people giving gameplay feedback but the map isn't currently playable and we would like it to be before release.

You can all help with this! What would you like to see in the first open beta?

How many civilizations and subfactions? How many gods? What features?

We don't want to release it to early if people would like more choice in the game, but if for e.g. your happy with one civ and two subfactions obviously we can release it sooner!
:cool:

What do you think? :confused:

EDIT: Glad you like it luffy :)

Level 9
I have some questions.
Is this set up so that you upgrade your units through time periods like in civ wars or is it just set in one time period?
Also, are citizens assigned roles, i read that you can do this for military, but can you assign a citizen a farmer job, blacksmith job etc.?

Level 9
I have some questions.
Is this set up so that you upgrade your units through time periods like in civ wars or is it just set in one time period?
Also, are citizens assigned roles, i read that you can do this for military, but can you assign a citizen a farmer job, blacksmith job etc.?

1. Having multiple time periods is yet to be decided on but will definitely be considered..Initially the plan was that your main building upgrades from settlement to village to small town to city..
2. Citizens are assigned roles for most unit types, military and civic..

Level 9
You can all help with this! What would you like to see in the first open beta?

How many civilizations and subfactions? How many gods? What features? [...]

- One civilization should be enough and will help balancing the others later. Generally place the minimum number of choices for faster release, to get you moving. If you remain static you grow a chance of Droping the Project, how much it grows and by what factor depends on your interest and personality.

Level 9
StormWarriors2
• Details on the units would be posted on future updates as soon as Grey Nightmare and I have finalized the background story on which they would be based on.
Sasukhun
• There is nothing to test as of the moment but definitely we would be needing some people to beta test once more work is done, as previously said we're in the process of finalizing the history/background story of the map, we won't be basing it off any warcraft lore, we're making our own mythology.
VergilThazaar
• Point taken, I appreciate all the feedbacks and suggestions you have been providing, they have been very helpful.

UPDATE UPDATE
* Presented with the fact that bypassing the command bug is impossible(it seems) I have decided to put a limit on the number of peasants that you can have on the game. After map testing and recommendations from other hive members I have decided that the population cap should be within the range of 150(maybe even less or slightly higher, it depends on the way future map testings will go).
Consequently, I have devised a new formula for the creation of the peasants whenever you build a house. I might still use the old formula but just for higher tier house types. The new one goes like this-
•Maximum number of created peasant would be 3, minimum 1.
•Type of created peasant would include combinations in 3 of the following: male1, male 2, female, kid1, kid 2, kid female and dog. or a single unit on one of the former 3 types.
•After doing some computations, I have come up with a total of 85 variations(I hope Im not missing something here)
tableofvariations.jpg

Phraetor - The GOD Seer, Patron God of Poets & Philosophers, God of Wisdom
Phraetor is considered as the God of Wisdom. He possess the gift of clairvoyance and the ability to read thoughts. He could see things even before they actually happen. And because of this, Nerom treats him with high regard and in fact would frequently come to seek his counsel, asking advice on a variety of things. The downside however of his powers is that he could not directly tell what he foresees. He expresses them thru poetry and sometimes in the form of riddles. At times, Nerom would not right away understand Phraetor's prophecies and would totally disregard them. This unknowst to Nerom could prove to be costly for the future holds dark tidings for him.

In silence will strike a deafening heed
Far louder than drumbeats pounding
Words spoken in visions dim
Deeds done for reasons grim

Born with tongue of half-truths
And whose eyes speak of concealed lies
Corrupting poison for feeble minds
Inevitable cause of one's demise

-Book of Prophecies

Last edited:
Level 6
i wanna be your idealist! can??
and i have an idea with decorative suff..

Good Stuff : Flower, garden, fontain, and more..
Scary Stuff: Cauldron with heads,Chain Posts,Cages,Heads on spears,more..
good stuff usefull to make your villager still happy (happyness++), but make them lazy, reducing your tax rate. Scary stuff make them scary, losing their happiness but make them scare to not pay tax and rebell..

education building like school or university is needed to balance with villager. if not, they will be ugly and cannot research advence technology

Level 9
That was my idea :eek:

Like what Grey Nightmare wrote before, everyone is free to suggest ideas and comment on things for as long as they are in line with the concepts and principle on which the whole project is based on. Every comment and suggestion will be considered and might just be implemented in the map. And yes trolman actually mentioned that idea about the decorative stuff before, on an earlier post.

Level 20
Progress Report

I'm really sorry I haven't been on - all this week and next week I have a host of exams that I need to revise for.

Therefore the background and techtree may be a bit late coming, many apologies...

P.s. Great ideas people! I'm so glad we have some community support as I'm sure pangahas will agree: without you this map will crash and burn, keep it up guys! :grin:

And p. I love the new god :)

Level 20
Hey guys very quick update, as you most likely know me an pangahas are currently working on the background and techtree for the first faction, currently dubbed the "empire" which we do want to change.

Here is one of the ideas for their appearance:

20060609163521.jpg

The above image is art from 'The Rise Of Nations'.

Last edited:
Level 12
wow. That image is so cool. Can't wait for it to be released, it looks like it is gonna explode or something in any moments... I mean by popularity. I mean, the idea is so... attractive and interesting, I can't see how people are not interested in this.... keep doing the good job. And mind if you tell me the gods you have right now? Cause I might be able to think on other gods... but I don't know the current ones (alas from god of death and of poems)

Level 9
wow. That image is so cool. Can't wait for it to be released, it looks like it is gonna explode or something in any moments... I mean by popularity. I mean, the idea is so... attractive and interesting, I can't see how people are not interested in this.... keep doing the good job. And mind if you tell me the gods you have right now? Cause I might be able to think on other gods... but I don't know the current ones (alas from god of death and of poems)

You could read about the other Gods on the first post under the mythology of the Gods heading..

Level 12
If you need beta testing, contact me. I'm a perfectionist... which means I'm also a really good complainer xDD
Are there gods of Nature or something? Of course that Nerom creates things and all, but that doens't allow there to be specific gods of something... A god of nature could allow you to "control" or even CREATE natural disasters or even wonders (create gold out of stone, make a great wave crush on a coastal enemy city, make the weather good for you and bad for your enemies, etc).
A Alchemy god, but I think that makes part of Aidous area... you gotta plan a proper background history for what happens when you die, if you reincarnate, go to heaven/hell, or there is only a place where dead go and... do what? (For example I can't see the point about the hell the Greeks tell about, since if you're good or bad you go to the same place... you CAN be "rescued", but... the sinners pay for the sins. And the heroes like Aquiles keep... talking. lol.) then, there could be a specific god that is the guardian of the world of the dead. His powers could be bringing something from the dead (from dead, normal units to ancient heroes of legend) and also bring from the world of dead creatures that obey for him (something like angels or demons, or some like Cerberus (not a dog of 3 heads, obviously... well, you got my point) Hopefully I was able to help. Again, if you need help to test something, you can count on me.

edit:By the way, on King's mode, you could modify it a bit: maybe search for a prince or something... are the kings weak units that get killed easily like Age of Empires? Well, propably. If you were devot to the God of War, they could be transformed into ultra heroes or something. And with the god of death, guardian of the world of dead, he could ressurect your king... if you have enough faith. You could add a extra power to every god related to the king when that mode is selected. And I think it would be good to have a king in all modes, after all, there must be a ruler in something. In king mode you have a time till your defeat to replace the king, or on other modes your empire gets a type of havoc the more time it passes... the more you take to replace your king, the more your empire falls. If you can replace your king immediately (with a son of the proper king or something that is old enough) there will be a strange emptyness (is it right? Propably not, but oh well) and a strange, wrong sensation in the beggining, which is fixed later after the new king proved to be as good or better than the last. Again, hopefully I was able to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.